Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ridley Scott has certainly lost something, Covenant was a stain on his own franchise IMO. I really liked Prometheus, then he doubled down on the dumb shit that people didn't like about it (dumb scientists etc).

I also think it's bullshit that Denis Villenueve didn't get nominated for Best Director.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Villenueve should just do it after Dune, lol.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I finally got a chance to watch the movie, in UHD, and I'm definitely kicking myself for not having seen this in the theater. What a beautiful film. On my second watch-through now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wish I'd seen it in IMAX.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I saw this movie three times in theaters alone and several times since it came out on digital, but I just picked up the 4K HDR Blu-ray and goddamn is this movie a showcase for a sweet-ass setup. I was impressed in the theaters, but this is just goddamn bonkers.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Watched Blade Runner (Final Cut) yesterday and 2049 today, both 4K on nice OLED, good enough 5.1 sound (english), cold and dark winter outside, me alone in the dark... amazing, and I am so glad 2049 turned out this good, this was really the best movie of 2017.

Also amazing how clear the image on original Blade Runner is, I bet there was a ton of work with that.

(except maybe I hoped for some extra bonus material and there seems to be just three commentaries on the first one which I probably won't watch, and nothing on 2049, and they don't have to insert also DVD and BluRay (not 4K) disks, I don't need them, waste of material)

Now I turned everything off, after such experience I prefer to not even switch to weather or anything, just turn everything off (not ETS, heh) and let it work... time to sleep soon, and I bet I will wake up thinking about it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I finally saw this a few weeks back on my friend's big HD screen, and I actually had mixed feelings about it. It was obviously a very beautiful film with good writing and whatnot, and had this not been an entry in the Bladerunner franchise I would have thought it was perfectly fine. But I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more of that urban noir thing. They had some of it, but it was only one element mixed in here and there. So much of the movie had these big open spaces with clean washes of color. It had a lot of this abstract beauty, which is awesome, but I just miss the grimey urban stuff. For me personally, that's what blade runner is all about. The protagonist, in my mind, is just a vibe. It's a world I want to go live inside of, dumb as that probably sounds. And I just didn't feel quite the same way about the new one.

Now of course, people could be like, "Well if that's what you want, just watch the original." And I'm sure they think its cool that they tried something a little different with this new movie instead of playing it safe. But if I'm being totally honest with myself, I really did just want more of the same. There really aren't that many movies that have that classic blade runner vibe, and I just thought it would have been nice to get one more in that same vein.

Still, good movie, and I would never shit all over it or anything. I totally get that I'm in the minority here. I just didn't fall in love with it.
    Last edited by Mantra; 02-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Actually, this post from dlb about five months back does a much better job of explaining what I found missing in the new one...

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I found the movie to be a bit too bright for my taste and open worldly. I love the claustrophobic feeling of the original, the crammed streets and the city life in general. I was a bit dissapointed that we only get to see glimpses of this here and there. overall I found the building interiors too polished, but maybe that's due to the 30 years of developement. I also love the use of smoke in the original which was basically non existant in 2049. In itself the movie could have looked a whole lot darker for my taste and more "noire" if you want to call it this. It all does look stunning and beautiful, but some grittyness was missing that made the original so appealing to me.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    So should I wait and watch this on a 4k television? I dont want to ruin it on my computer if its that visually " stunning?''

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    So should I wait and watch this on a 4k television? I dont want to ruin it on my computer if its that visually " stunning?''
    Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    So should I wait and watch this on a 4k television? I don't want to ruin it on my computer if it's that visually "stunning?''
    Yes, for a thousand times. Although the best option would be watching it in IMAX.

Joseph

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I finally got a chance to watch the movie, in UHD, and I'm definitely kicking myself for not having seen this in the theater. What a beautiful film. On my second watch-through now.
    I was fortunate enough to see it in IMAX and it just sticks with you. I've yet to get a 4k TV or player, but I know I'm eventually purchasing this on UHD just so I can experience it again in that way. The complaints about too many long shots are so short-sighted, because I could watch those scenes over and over again and still be blown away,

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This is brilliant

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^ That was awesome.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I saw an article the other day that they might continue this as a TV series. Very sketchy details, and hopefully that's all that remains. The movie ends so beautifully, I really don't want to see anything that comes after.

Speaking of which, the parallels between this and Twin Peaks: The Return are quite staggering. Without getting too spoiler-y about it, I noticed it almost immediately after watching 2049.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I really don't want to see anything that comes after.
    This is how I felt for years every time I heard talk about a sequel to the original. There was no way it would ever live up to the original and would end up just being forgotten to time while the original remained a classic. Boy was I wrong. I'm interested in anything they can come up with next as long as the right people are involved.

What parallels are you referring to between 2049 and Twin Peaks? As a big fan of both, I'm drawing a blank.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I saw an article the other day that they might continue this as a TV series. Very sketchy details, and hopefully that's all that remains. The movie ends so beautifully, I really don't want to see anything that comes after.
    I wouldn't say I'm interested in anything that comes after, but I'd definitely say that I'd be interested in other parts of the universe that could be explored in a high-production series. Maybe as a chronicle of just a few stories and events in the Bladerunner universe? Kinda like The Animatrix, but live-action. It wouldn't even have to have anything to do with the events of 2049, but maybe connect things tangentially.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What parallels are you referring to between 2049 and Twin Peaks? As a big fan of both, I'm drawing a blank.
    I wrote about it on my Letterboxd (major spoilers for both). Looking back it's not the most precise account of why I feel there are similarities between the two, but I think I make a strong argument as to how they both made me feel.

Superficially there are two more direct parallels: Spoiler: David Dastmalchian's characters in both meet rather gruesome fates, and there is a brief visual effect featuring an infinity symbol in 2049 that almost looks the exact same as the one seen in the later episode of TP.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    the 4K UHD of 2049 is spectacular. 1 of the first UHD discs i bought. the original is pretty awesome, too.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The movie did end on a perfect note, and as much as i was blown away it managed to match the original i find it hard to believe someone might do it again with another direct follow up.

That being said, i agree a show expending on the world built by the movies would/could be excellent!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm behind anything which would give Dave Bautista's character something more to do.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    As it turns out, the TV show will be an anime series for Adult Swim, and it takes place in 2032. I'm way more interested in this as it will obviously be more of a bridge between the two films than the three shorts which were released in advance of 2049. I really hope that Dave Bautista's character Sapper will not only be in it but have a featured role.

That actually leads me to something I kind of figured out for myself that was some clever storytelling, concerning the Blackout which is the subject of the animated short. I think it would be fair to say that for a lot of this kind of film-making, 9/11 and the fallout from which weighs heavily on this generation of directors and writers, if even subconsciously so. It's never been very far from the headlines almost 20 years on now, and I feel like this is somehow reflected in the world of 2049. That somehow the world established in the original film was on the edge of such a widespread catastrophe, though maybe dimly aware of how destructive it could be.

I'm just kind of spit-balling this, but thinking about it makes it feel truer to the real world than I even initially imagined.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Watched this for the first time with my daughter last night as it just happened to be on TV. Thoroughly enjoyed it, more than I thought I would.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Watched this for the first time with my daughter last night as it just happened to be on TV. Thoroughly enjoyed it, more than I thought I would.
    yeah i went in with zero expectations and i ended up loving it

also, i ordered the score from Mondo like almost a month ago and it hasn't shipped. i sent them an e-mail for a support request two days ago and have heard nothing​. wtf?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, i ordered the score from Mondo like almost a month ago and it hasn't shipped. i sent them an e-mail for a support request two days ago and have heard nothing​. wtf?
    Mondo truly shit the bed when Justin was forced out. It's a damn shame.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Mondo truly shit the bed when Justin was forced out. It's a damn shame.
    wait, what??? i had no idea he wasn't part of the company anymore!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Interesting they made a vinyl release for this at all. I'm no expert on it, but I do know that the lows on it are pretty damn low and I've got to think that would affect the overall quality a little. It's barely listenable on my iPod, without turning the EQ off.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, what??? i had no idea he wasn't part of the company anymore!
    Yeah man Justin got pushed out a few years ago. He’s from KC so he would come into the Alamo Drafthouse that I was a manager at time to time. But basically if I recall correctly, Justin got pushed out because the people at Alamo headquarters who owned Mondo wanted Mondo to become the big Spencer’s-Esque shit show it is now and Justin was only interested in keeping Mondo about the prints and music. So when he wouldn’t budge, Mondo essentially forced him to “step down”. Now he has zero stake in the company he started.

he told me and another guy I worked with about a whole bunch of ideas that he had for specific soundtrack packages that the company has no interest in pursuing. They didn’t want to put in the extra effort. One he was super excited about, which I think this was lightly discussed at one of the MondoCon panels, but he was trying to get copies of Black Swan presses with real black and white feathers in the wax. Shit like that.

But yeah pretty much the moment in time you can remember Mondo suddenly dropping dramatically in quality was when Justin was no longer involved.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    the 4K UHD of 2049 is spectacular. 1 of the first UHD discs i bought. the original is pretty awesome, too.
    I also highly recommend watching the 4K movie with a proper surround sound system that can play Dolby Atmos. The score, sfx etc sound HUGE & all-encompassing via Atmos. Just gorgeous.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I like how the red sky scenes were inspired by how the dust storms looked down here in Australia a few years back.