Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dragonball Franchise

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

The Dragonball Franchise

This may get flamed but I don't care. I used to have mad love for this franchise way back in the day. My prompt to post this came off the heels of watching the horrible revival series, Dragonball Z Kai. Which is mainly a remastered, re-dubbed and edited version of the classic 90's anime - with my condolences to my childhood as I find it horrid. The voice actor work is subpar to the original series, which they made the voice acting for my favorite villain, Frieza, a bad choice. The soundtrack is also lacking and features dulled parallels. I also dislike the lack of bloodshed and damage, which is understandable as this is airing on the Nicktoons channel.

Anyways, enough whining! This can hopefully generate some conversation between nerds of yesteryear? I'm not much into the shows now but I respect them and find the best nostalgia in them. I also, shamefully, own seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD.

Let's make this thread include Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Drahonball GT.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Dragonball and Dragonball Z alongside the Pokemon games have been my only real ventures into the realms of manga/anime, but those were great times indeed! Unfortunately I was already out of the loop with Dragonball and the likes when they started to air Dragonball Z over here, so I only watched the original Dragonball series back in the day and then went on to just read the books until #42. Never been into GT as the whole Sayajin-stuff did not appeal to me that much...

A friend of mine was madly into all things Japanese and he tried to hook me up with Neon Genesis Evangelion and stuff. Think I only read a couple of Dr. Slump (Akira Toriyama's other manga) books and then I was pretty much done with it. I still enjoy a quick fight at Dragon Ball Budokai whenever a friend has it for the PS. Brings back good memories.

Would love to read the books some time again, tough.
    Last edited by dlb; 05-14-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Love it, I cannot wait to see the fan made trailer for the saiyan saga.

What do you think of the season sets Space? There is so much bitching but I am happy with them.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Love it, I cannot wait to see the fan made trailer for the saiyan saga.

What do you think of the season sets Space? There is so much bitching but I am happy with them.
    What bitching has come about? I haven't heard any, please enlighten me.

I like them. I own the orange cardboard-based box versions that came out a few years ago. They're nicely inset and have a nice layout. They were definitely worth the price. $20.00 a season for the full sagas was definitely a good buy.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    My roomie just downloaded all three series'. Stoked on future nostalgia binges.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I loved Dragon Ball as a kid. Akira Toriyama is a genius. DB fans should totally check out Dr Slump if they haven't yet.

But Dragon Ball Z always struck me as a real sellout. DB is full of comedy, wacky characters, and good cheer. I find DBZ to be one extended fight scene. I find it boring, the humour was relegated, and I can't really tell the characters apart much. Also, Goku, such a mischievous kid, becomes a real boring goody two-shoes adult. I love the art and chara design (Freezer and Piccolo are cool as fuck looking), but I can't really keep up with DBZ, and its follow-ups.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    If you haven't seen them yet, check out Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged parody episodes. Hilarious.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I remember running home from the bus to catch Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network followed by Thundercats.. or the other way around; I loved it though.

Dragonball GT is fucking awesome though. Too bad it didn't really get any T.V. airplay at all. Vegeta will always be my favorite character of all time from the series.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    i remember kids bringing portable tvs to school to watch dragonball. Heck one day even the teachers decided to stop classes for a couple of hours for a dragonball afternoon marathon, back when Cell was the big villain.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    i'm fan until Goku grows up, the series took a different direction after the whole Sayans/Raditz/Freezer stuff, i do like the Androids/Cell saga but it bummed me how long it was.
    Dragon Ball GT was fun, a nice return and back to basics, still i hated the last saga (Evil Sheng Long) Piccolo killed him so easy and then is almost unbeatable? WTF?
    I think it has its flaws just like any cartoon, but i think is a basic to understand manga, i still keep my Goku action figure to this day

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    What's everyones' favorite movie?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!

all jokes aside, its hard for me to choose. Super Dragon fist is cool, maybe its Tapion's melody that gets me. I like the original Broly movie.

The scene with Krillin pretending to be Piccolo in Broly's revenge is just to epic.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Coolers Revenge, and The Tree of Might I always liked. Evolution was crap.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    This thread needs more super sand.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    What's everyones' favorite movie?

...by far (i used to have this poster on my wall, haha, good times)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I can't even answer my own question! I love all the early movies (Dead Zone, The World's Strongest and The Tree of Might) and I also really enjoy Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, Return of Cooler and Broly, The Legendary Super-Saiyan,

I must say I think Lord Slug ranks as one of the top. I love Namekians and such a powerful, evil badass like him is top line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I need more DBZ in my life. I have so many great memories with it. I remember towards the end of the sixth grade it was a big transitional period in my life: I was moving into a new house with a new family (my dad was about to get married, and my stepmom had three kids), and I was changing school districts and leaving all my friends after seven years. One of my fondest memories is borrowing the VHS tapes of the Saiyan Saga, the first episodes where Raditz and Vegeta come to earth, and watching the whole thing in one day while I packed my room. I didn't really understand it at the time but it's like I was saying goodbye to my childhood, and DBZ is so firmly entwined with that feeling that I always think fondly of it even now.

This can hopefully generate some conversation between nerds of yesteryear? I'm not much into the shows now but I respect them and find the best nostalgia in them. I also, shamefully, own seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD.
    Never be ashamed!! I'll nerd out with you.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Favorite moment for me is definetly when Goku first goes Super Saiyan. That was some epic shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Going to grab me some weed tonight. Thinking about watching some DBZ. Which Saga you think I should treat myself to? Im thinkin trunks through android.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ That's a good one. I like the Cell Games saga. Seeing Trunks come from the future and being more bad ass then any fighter in that time is so sweet. O yea, and he destroys Cell in like a blink of an eye.

I just downloaded the whole GT series. I am going to be indulged in this for a while now

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    i loved trunks/android saga, the development of vegeta as a main charceter. oh dude, badass! about a year ago, i watched all 290is or so episodes of DBZ in order, wow that was alot! i remember when i watched them originally on toonami on cartoon network right before adult swim, back in 2001. i remembered alot more talking then there actually was! alot of people give the series flack for charceters talking crap to each other for 5 or 6 episodes before actually fighting, but that wasnt the case at all.

i really cant stress how much i like vegeta either

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    i loved trunks/android saga, the development of vegeta as a main charceter. oh dude, badass! about a year ago, i watched all 290is or so episodes of DBZ in order, wow that was alot! i remember when i watched them originally on toonami on cartoon network right before adult swim, back in 2001. i remembered alot more talking then there actually was! alot of people give the series flack for charceters talking crap to each other for 5 or 6 episodes before actually fighting, but that wasnt the case at all.

i really cant stress how much i like vegeta either
    As far as Heroes go, I find Vegeta a favorite also. It's a really complex character structure how he evolved throughout the series as a sworn enemy, to an ally to a full out friend.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    i like Vegeta, but Piccolo is really high on my book...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm a total purist. I prefer the Japanese original of the series to any of the English dubs. Too much was changed, and it was butchered to bits. That's just me, though. I'm not trying to troll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I fucking loved Z as a kid (I just couldn't get into the original Dragonball or GT). I remember first seeing this trailer for the Trunks saga and going absolutely apeshit even though I had no idea what was going to happen. It just looked so badass. Looking back, it does seem pretty stupid, haha. TRUNKS.

I watched Z first so I never really got into Dragonball because I thought it was so boring in comparison. But being older, I really like Dragonball. I'm thinking of going back and watching the start of Z through the end since all of my Dragonball experience anymore is Team Four Star (which I absolutely love), but I should probably rewatch it all since I was so young when it first aired in the US. As far as my favorite saga, I'd have to say everything that built up to Cell. Trunks, Androids, Cell Games. Cell was such an awesome villain and Gohan killing him with the one handed Kamehameha is definitely one of my favorite moments of the show.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I am balls deep in the GT series right now; Goku as a little kid is pretty amusing I must say. I just want to get to the episodes when Super Saiyan 4's start coming out.

Edit: Vegeta is just bad ass. Will always be my favorite character.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I am balls deep in the GT series right now; Goku as a little kid is pretty amusing I must say. I just want to get to the episodes when Super Saiyan 4's start coming out.

Edit: Vegeta is just bad ass. Will always be my favorite character.
    BAD MAN

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This thread needs more Mr Satan:

n_n

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    This thread needs more Mr Satan:

n_n
    Best dipshit character ever.