Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: The Dragonball Franchise

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I've seen the saiyan saga of Kai. A lot better than I was anticipating. I'm holding off on the rest though. I want to finish my rewatch of original z (cell games) first before I continue Kai

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Okay, I think I might have a slight addiction. I was checking/rearranging some old external HDDs, and it appears my DBZ folder is 2.5 TB (just Z). I haven't even done anything with the Blu-ray's or movies yet:

Atsumare! Goku Warudo = 15 GB
    CD-Audio = 37 GB
    Dragon Box (Multi) = 410 GB
    Dragon Box (R2 ISO) = 389 GB
    Dragon Box (R1 ISO) = 302 GB
    Funimation DVD5's (R1 ISO) = 320 GB (original single-disc, volumetric releases)
    Laserdisc Audio = 8 GB
    Manga, Tankobon, etc. = 20 GB
    Miscellaneous = 150 GB (scans, assorted audio dupes in lossy, self-made "mobile friendly" encodes)
    Original Broadcast Audio = 400 GB (32/96 WAV)
    Original Broadcast Video = 340 GB
    Summer Vacation Special = 31 GB

I'm looking at roughly 1.2 - 1.85 TB to back up the Blu-ray's (I haven't checked to see how full each disc is). Also, I am pretty much clueless with the movies; is it necessary to get versions from multiple regions because of censored content (for all of them)?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    since my last post in this thread...

I've purchased the entire Dragon Ball series, seasons 1-5. I finished season 1. Man, I love it. I had only seen a few episodes of the original series as a kid in the 90s. Roshi is a perv, Goku is clueless (peeing in public as if it's nothing! ) , Bulma giving people the finger lol...totally different from Z, and I love it.

I also purchased Kai season 1, but it'll be a while before I get to that.

Yeah, I'm totally hooked. I'm going into it with as much of a clean slate as possible.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Okay, I think I might have a slight addiction. I was checking/rearranging some old external HDDs, and it appears my DBZ folder is 2.5 TB (just Z). I haven't even done anything with the Blu-ray's or movies yet:

Atsumare! Goku Warudo = 15 GB
    CD-Audio = 37 GB
    Dragon Box (Multi) = 410 GB
    Dragon Box (R2 ISO) = 389 GB
    Dragon Box (R1 ISO) = 302 GB
    Funimation DVD5's (R1 ISO) = 320 GB (original single-disc, volumetric releases)
    Laserdisc Audio = 8 GB
    Manga, Tankobon, etc. = 20 GB
    Miscellaneous = 150 GB (scans, assorted audio dupes in lossy, self-made "mobile friendly" encodes)
    Original Broadcast Audio = 400 GB (32/96 WAV)
    Original Broadcast Video = 340 GB
    Summer Vacation Special = 31 GB

I'm looking at roughly 1.2 - 1.85 TB to back up the Blu-ray's (I haven't checked to see how full each disc is). Also, I am pretty much clueless with the movies; is it necessary to get versions from multiple regions because of censored content (for all of them)?
    Man, I would kill to have those dragon boxes.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed Super (and the new movie, man that was awesome!) The Manga is finally ahead of it now as well and it's getting interesting!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    there will be a blu ray box set release for the 30th anniversary of DBZ- with new bonus features, 4:3 aspect ratio, a hardcover book and a figure. no release date or price yet.

this news comes, of course, the day all my seasons of Kai arrive on blu ray..sigh. oh well.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    there will be a blu ray box set release for the 30th anniversary of DBZ- with new bonus features, 4:3 aspect ratio, a hardcover book and a figure. no release date or price yet.

More than half-way sold out! $350 is an amazing price for this set. Japan Dragon Boxes were around $1100 a piece ($2200), and the US Dragon Boxes were $70 each ($490).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Apparently all this set is the remastering from the orange box sets uncropped. So the terrible DNR is still there. No thanks.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Apparently all this set is the remastering from the orange box sets uncropped. So the terrible DNR is still there. No thanks.
    Well, if that doesn't interest you, perhaps you'd like Dragon Ball Super: Broly with an unnecessary green tint, shitty subtitles, and dynamic issues on the English audio track? FFS.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I've got all but two of the yellow dragon box DVD sets, and I keep mulling over whether to try to sell them for ridiculous sums of money or one day try and fucking complete the set because they're plainly never going to do it right ever again. Decisions, decisions....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It's too bad Funimation can't get anything better than 3rd gen SVHS masters from Toei.

It's also a shame that the Buy saga in Kai is cropped to widescreen.

I love Dragonball but it's always just so painful to watch!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Well, if that doesn't interest you, perhaps you'd like Dragon Ball Super: Broly with an unnecessary green tint, shitty subtitles, and dynamic issues on the English audio track? FFS.
    So up until a few minutes ago, any time I read someone say something about the “green tint,” I’ve assumed they were talking about like a slight green tint that was applied to the movie for some reason. I had no idea the green tint was a physical change to to disc itself that was causing problems for consumers. Eesh, and I was even considering picking it up this weekend...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    So up until a few minutes ago, any time I read someone say something about the “green tint,” I’ve assumed they were talking about like a slight green tint that was applied to the movie for some reason. I had no idea the green tint was a physical change to to disc itself that was causing problems for consumers. Eesh, and I was even considering picking it up this weekend...
    So far, it appears to be exclusive to the Funimation/US home releases (this includes store exclusives); the upcoming Manga UK releases are confirmed to have accurate color timing/grading (Region B locked). The Toei/Japan release is in mid-June, but will (obviously) not be English-friendly.

There is also a Periscoop/Dutch version that releases a few days before the Manga UK version. The company has a precedent of releasing region-free discs, even though they are advertised as Region B locked.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-19-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: changed "color timing" to "color timing/grading"