Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dragonball Franchise

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well that plus the fighting. The story sucks.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Besides Resurrection of F, this hit airwaves!

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...e-in-18-years/

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm really excited to see what will happen in the new series. My complaint is that I read that it takes place immediately after the Buu saga, and if that's true, then that means that there is no SS God form yet, so we'll most likely just see Goku beat some ass in SS3 form instead of SSG.

On a slightly related note. I've gone back to collecting toys and last year in July I decided to get the 2014 SDCC exclusive repaint of scouter Vegeta and ever since getting that figure, I've been hooked on the whole line. These toys are fantastic. For the most part they are up to scale with one another, they pose great, and they all come with multiple facial expressions, a bunch of different hands, and some even come with blast effects parts and fan service accessories, like Vegeta coming with an extra hand that has a crushed scouter in it. Such a great line of toys, but pretty damn expensive too. Super Saiyan Vegeta figure goes for around $250+. So does future Trunks and SSJ3. A 2011 SDCC exclusive Goku figure recently sold on eBay for $650. Fucking insane. No way would I pay that much money for just a 6 inch toy. It's just cool to see how these toys go for crazy amounts of money in just a short time and they'll be getting more expensive because of the new movie and series coming out.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Vegeta looks awesome! He has that color palette swap going on with that, which he had in initial appearances and on the Terror on Arlia episode. So cool.

I have the Irwin Toys Movie Collection figures. I've got Battle Damaged Goku, Cooler (my favorite), Meta Cooler, Lord Slug and Piccolo. I was never able to get Broly. It sucks! I've had the figures since they were released, which was about 2001 or so I believe? Long time!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I had the sword wielding future Trunks in Super Saiyan form and a Krillin that had these spring loaded Ki Blasts in his arms and i had a bunch of those small micro machine sized figures.

Kinda wish i knew where all of that stuff disappeared to haha

I am actually very curious about the new "Super" show, hope it doesn't take too long for the English dub and i definitely hope they change it up a bit while still having it seem familiar, obviously nobody wants these characters powering up for 10 episodes and spending 30 eps to fight some dude lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm hoping that in "Super", Vegeta does more than just live in Goku's shadow. At least have him reach SS3.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Vegeta looks awesome! He has that color palette swap going on with that, which he had in initial appearances and on the Terror on Arlia episode. So cool.

I have the Irwin Toys Movie Collection figures. I've got Battle Damaged Goku, Cooler (my favorite), Meta Cooler, Lord Slug and Piccolo. I was never able to get Broly. It sucks! I've had the figures since they were released, which was about 2001 or so I believe? Long time!
    I love Arlian Vegeta. It's such a unique and ugly (so ugly that it's cool) color pallet that I just had to get it. I'm glad I got it right when he was released because he's hitting the $150+ range now. I never had any DBZ toys as a kid because honestly I wasn't really into DBZ that much as a kid. I was more of a Yu Yu Hakusho fan. So if I wanted to see a fight, I just waited for YYH to come on. When I got Arlian Vegeta I was surprised by how fucking awesome he was. My only complaint is how small he is. For some reason I was expecting him to be around the 7-8 inch range and in reality, he's literally as tall as a soda can, so I guess that's pretty accurate for his height lol.

I found found Broly and Krillin at a anime con I went to back in March and right when I saw them I just had to get 'em. Especially since both of them were going for great prices. The guy gave me a hook up and sold them both to me for $110, so I definitely can't complain as he gave me a better deal on an already great deal.
    Broly is FUCKING HUGE compared to the rest of the DBZ line. I honestly hate Broly with a passion, but even I can't deny that his toy is the shit. It's honestly quite the feat to have such a massive figure have great posability.
    Here's how tall he is compared to Krillin, Goku and Piccolo (I bought all of these at the con I went)

Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I had the sword wielding future Trunks in Super Saiyan form and a Krillin that had these spring loaded Ki Blasts in his arms and i had a bunch of those small micro machine sized figures.

Kinda wish i knew where all of that stuff disappeared to haha
    A few weeks ago I was hanging out at a friends house and they found a box in their garage that had a bunch of old school DBZ figures and a few manga issues. It was a friend of theirs that moved out but I guess he forgot about them. Seeing the old toys from the 90's made me realize how great the toys I have are. The older toys might have been great for back in the day, but holy shit they are down right awful now. Majority of them couldn't bend their elbows or knees and all of them had a 'duurrrrrr' face going on. However I do know that they are great for nostalgia purposes for people who had the toys back in the day.

I wish there was a toy thread here but I'm probably the only person here who actively collects toys lol.

How do you guys feel about Frieza, Goku and Vegeta's forms? Like them? Hate them? I've seen a lot of people from different places complain about how they think they look stupid, but I quite dig the new looks.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    I love Arlian Vegeta. It's such a unique and ugly (so ugly that it's cool) color pallet that I just had to get it. I'm glad I got it right when he was released because he's hitting the $150+ range now. I never had any DBZ toys as a kid because honestly I wasn't really into DBZ that much as a kid. I was more of a Yu Yu Hakusho fan. So if I wanted to see a fight, I just waited for YYH to come on. When I got Arlian Vegeta I was surprised by how fucking awesome he was. My only complaint is how small he is. For some reason I was expecting him to be around the 7-8 inch range and in reality, he's literally as tall as a soda can, so I guess that's pretty accurate for his height lol.

I wish there was a toy thread here but I'm probably the only person here who actively collects toys lol.

How do you guys feel about Frieza, Goku and Vegeta's forms? Like them? Hate them? I've seen a lot of people from different places complain about how they think they look stupid, but I quite dig the new looks.
    I'm an idiot, I meant to say IF Labs not Irwin Toys. Here's Cooler and Lord Slug from those, if you're unfamiliar:

As for the new forms, I'm indifferent. I like them but it seems like they just slapped some random shit together to say "Hey, new form!" "God Form" is just silly, still is to me. I like Frieza's form. I just wish they didn't shit on his character so much after his initial "defeat" as anything else makes him look like a loser to the Z Fighters now. This movie will redeem him but eh, a lot of damage was done. That Mecha Frieza before Androids/Garlic Jr. Sagas was a joke since they made Trunks look uber strong and Frieza look like a joke. If you can't tell, Frieza is my favorite character and villain on the show.

I collect toys. I have an 18" Eric Draven figure, full McFarlane Toy sets of AVP series 2, full sets of random Movie Maniacs figures and a set of Corpse Bride figures. If you made a thread, I'd post.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm an idiot, I meant to say IF Labs not Irwin Toys. Here's Cooler and Lord Slug from those, if you're unfamiliar:

As for the new forms, I'm indifferent. I like them but it seems like they just slapped some random shit together to say "Hey, new form!" "God Form" is just silly, still is to me. I like Frieza's form. I just wish they didn't shit on his character so much after his initial "defeat" as anything else makes him look like a loser to the Z Fighters now. This movie will redeem him but eh, a lot of damage was done. That Mecha Frieza before Androids/Garlic Jr. Sagas was a joke since they made Trunks look uber strong and Frieza look like a joke. If you can't tell, Frieza is my favorite character and villain on the show.

I collect toys. I have an 18" Eric Draven figure, full McFarlane Toy sets of AVP series 2, full sets of random Movie Maniacs figures and a set of Corpse Bride figures. If you made a thread, I'd post.
    Oh wow, that Cooler figure looks really... cool (hurrrrr). I like how you can take off his face plate. Coolers design is how I think Frieza's new form should have looked. I like the gold and purple, but it doesn't scream evil and badass to me. As for Frieza in the series, they really did just take a fat crap all over his character. Trunks sliced him into pieces, but after that he came back for one second during the Great Saiyaman part of the series and literally got 1 hit killed by Gohan. I'm still not sure why they did that other than to show just how much powerful they all have become, but they could have done that some other way other than just to shit all over Frieza.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @nemesiswontdie

You are right about the derpy faces and disappointing lack of articulation..

I sure thought it was cool at the time though, i remember how stoked i was to get this figure. (not mine specifically just an ebay pic i found)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    @nemesiswontdie

You are right about the derpy faces and disappointing lack of articulation..

I sure thought it was cool at the time though, i remember how stoked i was to get this figure. (not mine specifically just an ebay pic i found)

Oh they were definitely great for the time, but toys have advanced quite a lot in the past 10+ years that those DBZ toys have been out, so they just look like they're bootlegs from China.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    In the middle of my dragonball phase, atm. Waiting on my Dragonball sets to come in. Not Z. DRAGONBALL! While I wait for those, i'm watchng GT, which I guess is definitely, 100%, officially non-canon now with the Super series coming and sweeping it under the rug. I don't care what anyone says, though, I like GT. Not as good as Z, obviously. But it's good. Wish there were more Super 17.

Never really watched Dragonball, so that's going to be almost completely new to me. I started with Z, then watched a majority of GT (which I started again from scratch). After I get the dragonball sets, i'll rewatch Z. Maybe even the movies. A bunch i've never even seen (Cooler, Broly 2 and 3, etc.).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Started dragonball yesterday. Surprised on how adult it is compared to Z and GT. Lots of sexual undertones.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Started dragonball yesterday. Surprised on how adult it is compared to Z and GT. Lots of sexual undertones.
    "Dragon Ball" is the part i like i better: the show was funnier, it had lots of sexual innuendo and the stories were faster and less "complex", they lost lots of the original humor during "Z", "GT" brought it back but it was almost when it ended...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    GT definitely had it's moments. I don't remember anything like it in DBZ. Dragonball is full of it. Pretty good series so far though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    DragonBall rules. The entire series was a fun ride and I absolutely love the entire first 3 seasons. That entire Red Ribbon Army story arc is phenomenal and the characters in all of that series is an excellent show of diversity.

Krillin was also relevant!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Krillin was also relevant!
    Even Yamcha was relevant at first, lol...

I love Krillin, everyone makes fun of him because he always dies but let's not forget that the guy is human, he still gets into fights with Freezer and even the Androids, he's pure heart!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Or Tien. Really loving this series. There's even middle fingers. I was way off on what to expect from it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've been watching the subtitled version of Dragon Ball as I want to experience it as unaltered as possible. After I get through this, I'm going to watch Dragon Ball Kai to get myself all caught up to the more recent releases.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I picked up the remastered funimation sets (1-3). When I'm done with the series, I'm going to pick up and rewatch dbz (and movies).

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Piko @henryeatscereal @Space Suicide @aggroculture - I haven't watched Dragon Ball in ages. I should eventually get a jump on that for my DVD collection, as I think I'd at least get the DVDs for Dragon Ball Z up to the Frieza Saga. I also had a lot of fond memories watching Dragon Ball when I was in high school.

This was also one of the most hilarious scenes of Dragon Ball in my opinion.

Oh, and from what I'm aware of Launch also uses her middle finger too. She was also one of my most favorite characters to watch on that show. I was even more surprised that Launch and Yamcha didn't become a couple.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Launch seems to be the only character to not appear in some form in dbz. Still pretty new to the series. So, maybe its something i haven't gotten to yet. Even the mercenary (tao?) makes an appearance. Been awhile, but does Pilaf show up as well? I know he appears in GT. When I'm done with DB, I'm going to probably go the blu ray route for dbz.

Dragonball is definitely not for kids though. Can't say I've seen the uncut versions of dbz. But I doubt it even comes close. Lost track on how many times I've seen Goku's knob.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I have my doubts about a new Dragon Ball TV series. Toei has really plummeted in quality over the years, and has been green-lighting old franchises in hopes of cashing in on past success. The new Sailor Moon series, which was delayed for an entire year, has been embarrassingly underwhelming. A new Digimon series, expected to air this season, has also been delayed for half a year.

It's sad that Toei would resort to pilfering through their old works for quick money, especially considering that the anime industry usually doesn't rely on cheap nostalgia acts (at least not in the way Western media attempts to reboot everything in the history of ever.) I have my fingers crossed that they're actually putting resources into giving Dragon Ball a new series it deserves, but I'm skeptical they'll pull through.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can't stand seeing the dubbed versions of character names after watching the subtitled version of the series... Krillin is actually Kuririn, Bulma is Buruma, Tien is Ten (or Tenshinhan, if you don't shorten it), and Launch is Lunch. I don't understand why they were changed for the dub...

Launch seems to be the only character to not appear in some form in dbz.
    Akira mentioned that he actually forgot about her when he was writing the Dragon Ball Z part of the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    I have my doubts about a new Dragon Ball TV series. Toei has really plummeted in quality over the years, and has been green-lighting old franchises in hopes of cashing in on past success. The new Sailor Moon series, which was delayed for an entire year, has been embarrassingly underwhelming. A new Digimon series, expected to air this season, has also been delayed for half a year.

It's sad that Toei would resort to pilfering through their old works for quick money, especially considering that the anime industry usually doesn't rely on cheap nostalgia acts (at least not in the way Western media attempts to reboot everything in the history of ever.) I have my fingers crossed that they're actually putting resources into giving Dragon Ball a new series it deserves, but I'm skeptical they'll pull through.
    It helps that Toriyama has been involved with all the recent releases. The fact that he's writing the story for the new series should make this worthwhile.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 05-13-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm not worried as long as Toriyama is involved. I just hope people won't have a bitch fit because it's not based off manga. Found it kinda annoying how people refused to call GT canon because it wasn't based off manga. This one isn't either. Only a matter of time until someone bitches about that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Wouldn't this and the recent movies be considered canon because Toriyama is deeply involved?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    You would think. But some people will complain either way. I considered GT canon (like it or not) until they announced the new series. But yeah, Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F are canon. New series takes place after F.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You would think. But some people will complain either way. I considered GT canon (like it or not) until they announced the new series. But yeah, Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F are canon. New series takes place after F.
    Well, Toriyama had very little to do with GT, so I can understand why it wouldn't be considered canon by some. And I thought the new series takes place immediately after the events of the Buu saga?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Well, Toriyama had very little to do with GT, so I can understand why it wouldn't be considered canon by some. And I thought the new series takes place immediately after the events of the Buu saga?
    The two movies are after the buu saga, I think.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The two movies are after the buu saga, I think.
    Right, but I was under the impression that the series would start immediately after the events of the Buu saga, and then start bringing in elements leading to the events of the movies.