Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Blame Canada, eh?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mixxy View Post
    Seriously? I was going to ask who still carries change, or cash at all for that matter, but I guess people with a bit a forethought carry at least some for little things like coffee, especially at those annoying shops who charge you to use the debit machine!
    There are some things you need cash for. I don't usually carry cash if I don't have to, I used to be the debit card guy for years and years, and we would go to a restaurant with friends and the bill would need to be split and everyone would throw down cash except me, that's an inconvienence. I usually buy a coffee every morning before work as well and it's like $1.50 and I don't want to spend such a little denomination on my debit card everyday, and you get charged a trasnaction fee for something small too, so cases like that it helps, I usually try and make sure I start the week off with at least a $20 bill in my wallet. That usually covers the cost of small instances like these and other rare times when you need cash/change.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mixxy View Post
    Seriously? I was going to ask who still carries change, or cash at all for that matter, but I guess people with a bit a forethought carry at least some for little things like coffee, especially at those annoying shops who charge you to use the debit machine!
    I always carry cash on me not like stupid amounts but just an appropriate amount for what i need, i pretty much like to avoid paying extra for services as much as possible....it's bad enough there's taxes on literally everything.. i mean why on earth are there even digital taxes for some things? on shit that's not even physical? come the fuck on! it's ridiculous.... i definitely don't need transaction fees though on top of especially for any drinks and the like as you have your stupid recycling fees..... obviously you can redeem some money back from the bottle depot but still so yeah using debit is completely out of the question for me.

I also do not have a credit card.. don't really feel the need in getting one either no matter how much everything out there is trying to force it on me, I'm barely living off an income as it is so things are pretty steady along the cheap route for i guess, if it comes to it and if i really wish to get anything off the Internet that requires some kind of electronic payment i'll get a prepaid or rechargeable card, it's just a lot more secure and manageable for me as i try to avoid giving out personal info as much as possible.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 05-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I figured as much, which I why I said people with forethought usually do carry some cash. Smart people, you are. Not me though - that's why I'm always caught at the coffee shop paying $2.50ish on my debit card. Grrr. I'm more in awe of the people who claim to have jars of pennies (or all the cheeky news reporters telling us we could get rid of them, after the budget was announced). I can't imagine using cash that much any more that one would have have a jar of pennies. On one hand, it makes sense to get rid of them, since we are becoming a more plastic society; on the other hand, I don't think they were much of a hassle for the individual. I can see the hassle for banks and businesses, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't decide if I love the painting or want to recoil in horror at it. Clever, either way.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2437567/
    Last edited by mixxy; 05-21-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't know if it made the news in the rest of Canada but for a while now, things have been a little crazy in the great and beautiful province of Québec.

For the last 100 days, a bunch of cegep and university students have been "on strike" over Jean "I'm an even greater idiot than Harper" Charest's intention to increase tuitions. There's been a lot of rallies and demonstrations over this and of course, some of them ended in violence. To make a long story short: last week Jean "I'm a clown" Charest lost his temper and got the Québec government to vote Bill 78 to "regulate" said demonstrations. The bill passed but nobody's happy about it.

Now, there's even more demonstrations, more usage of pepper spray, more people hitting each other etc. The funniest part is that Anonymous isn't please either with Bill 78 and yesterday, they hacked many government sites for much shit and giggles.

Here's a nice article explaining it all better than I could.

I didn't have fun like that when I went to school, a long time ago...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Vancouver's stormy summer on pace for record cold

" Vancouverites may love to complain about their “bummer summer,” but it’s not just casual griping any more. Current temperatures are on track to make this June the coldest on record.
    As of Wednesday, this month’s mean temperature — an average of the coldest and warmest temperatures each day — was 13.2 C. That’s a substantial drop from 2011’s mean temperature of 15.3 degrees.
    You have to go all the way back to 1971 to find a “Junuary” even close to being that chilly, when the mean temperature was 13.5 degrees. The mean June temperature has dipped below 14 degrees six times in Vancouver since records began in 1937."

Read the full article here: http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/V...531/story.html

So Aaron, what do you think about your amazing, precious Vancouver weather now? There is no way in hell you can't be getting sick and tired of this doom and gloom, and I know i'm not the only one! This is getting ridiculious! If it's this bad now, how is July going to be? I'm worried we're not gonna get a proper summer AGAIN! last July was the worst July I have ever seen in this city, don't want a repeat of that nonsense again!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Meh, it's not that bad. Wear a hoodie.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    That's it, I'm moving to Vancouver. God I hate heat!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Meh, it's not that bad. Wear a hoodie.
    What, and get shot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is anyone else doing Canada Day in Ottawa? Any suggestions from those who've done it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    We may not have the nicest of summers in Vancouver, and we may have some of the rainiest winter... but it never tends to be too warm and during the colder months it's usually warmer than the rest of the country.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    We may not have the nicest of summers in Vancouver, and we may have some of the rainiest winter... but it never tends to be too warm and during the colder months it's usually warmer than the rest of the country.
    SWEET, another Vancouver ETS resident!? There are sooo many popping up these days. We need to have a Vancouver ETS party get-together, what does everyone say? There are at least 5 people on this board I know are from Vancouver. Plus a few from the island as well.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manburning View Post
    sweet, another vancouver ets resident!? There are sooo many popping up these days. We need to have a vancouver ets party get-together, what does everyone say? There are at least 5 people on this board i know are from vancouver. Plus a few from the island as well.
    we are legion.
    Last edited by Fixer808; 06-30-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: FUCK YOU, GIVE ME MY ALL CAPS BACK!!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Happy fuckin Canada Day. Let's get sloppy!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Happy Canada Day my fellow Canuckleheads! Time for some 1516s from Okanagan Springs!!! Even though I'm Albertan, VIVA BC BEER!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I've always enjoyed this.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Happy fuckin Canada Day. Let's get sloppy!
    This happened. The "Lust In Space Fetish Fashion" party ended with me hammered and pouring sweat (I was dressed as Boba Fett, not an outfit conducive to a club environment). I will post photos soon, I had some taken with a Stormtrooper and a Jedi, among others! Plus a lot of people wanted a shot with me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    This happened. The "Lust In Space Fetish Fashion" party ended with me hammered and pouring sweat (I was dressed as Boba Fett, not an outfit conducive to a club environment). I will post photos soon, I had some taken with a Stormtrooper and a Jedi, among others! Plus a lot of people wanted a shot with me!
    Oh shit, that was you? You looked fucking awesome out there. I went for more of a cyberpunk aesthetic.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Haha, thanks! And there needs to be more cyberpunk around these days... STRANGE DAYS! That was a blast of a party, too!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Come to think of it, Sin City might be a good idea for a Vancouver meet this summer XD

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You're so right. Who else would be down for that? Specifically, who else in ​THIS HERE THREAD???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

I've always enjoyed this.

Yee buddy

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Could we make a Vancouver[Island]ite meet-up thread and plan it out without clogging up with one?

*edit* or maybe a big PNW meet-up, so johnbron can lecture us all about the wonderful filth that is IPA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll just leave this here

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So us Québécois were electing a new Prime Minister yesterday; for the first time in Québec's history a woman, Pauline Marois, leader of the Parti Québécois (you know, those pesky sovereignists) is going to lead the province. It's a minority government though which should make things interesting enough.

Oh and someone tried to shoot her during her victory speech late last night. The gunman never made it inside but he did shoot at people; leaving one person dead and one person in intensive care at the hospital.

Okay...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This video shouldn't be labeled "Angry Quebecer confronts English speakers", it should be "Pack of drunk idiots yells at each other for a bit". I've seen more "heated confrontations" in the lineup at Tim Hortons.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    This video shouldn't be labeled "Angry Quebecer confronts English speakers", it should be "Pack of drunk idiots yells at each other for a bit". I've seen more "heated confrontations" in the lineup at Tim Hortons.
    This video and the comment section are both perfect examples of the misunderstanding between our two cultures. Shame on the idiots in the video and shame on those leaving hateful comments.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Some more Canadian Pride!

(even though these guys are Denverites lol)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    THEY PLAYED THIS AT THE CLUB LAST NIGHT AND I MISSED IT!!! Sads!