Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mix Exchange - 2012

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Question Mix Exchange - 2012

Hello All,

I remember Perchee used to run all of the earlier mix exchanges back in the day, but since the server shit the bed I haven't seen another one of these pop up.
    I was always really interested in the idea, but never got involved unfortunately, so I'd like to bring it back!

So from what I remember (feel free to correct me.):

-Anyone that's interested posts in this thread.
    -We decide on a theme
    -The user creates a mix tape/disc revolving around that theme.
    -Everyone gets paired up and swaps/mails out their mixes!
    -Profit!

THEMES FOR CONSIDERATION
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

-Freedom x 3
    -Travel x 5
    -Fantasy x 2
    -Space x 2

THEMES ALREADY COVERED

-Senses
    -Questions/Answers
    -Love
    -Crime
    -Animals

THE RULES

-Everyone that opts in will be assigned someone to send their mix to.
    -Each mixer is to send a physical copy of their mix* (Optical or Flash Memory, no obnoxious formats please.)
    *If you're fanatically opposed to physical media, it's permissible to send a digital mix.
    However I'm sure it'd be appreciated if you sent something in lieu, like a card, poker chip, pygmy marmoset, whatever.
    -Being part of a NIN community, there's no need to make them or other obvious artists (Nothing Records, etcetera) a part of you mix.
    -If you fail to send your mix, you will not be included in future exchanges.

THE DEALERS

Goldfoot
    Dra508
    Botley
    Orestes
    Elke
    Icklekitty
    Fixer808
    Halloween
    Liquidcalm
    BlueCalx
    Thaned
    Big Fat Matt
    Beef of the Sea
    Frankieteardrop
    Chris
    Eos
    Rmt

Update 14/05/12: Added users, rules, and themes to post.
    Update 15/05/12: Added more themes and peeps.
    Update 16/05/12: Added another contestant!
    Update 17/05/12: Another Challenger approaches...
    Update 25/05/12: Updated tallies.
    Update 04/06/12: Voting and entries closed, Theme is Travel (Space is still acceptable.) Still waiting on Several addresses.
    Update 11/07/12: All mixes made, and sent... except Eos!
    Update 25/07/12: Big Fat Matt and Eos haven't confirmed if they've sent their mix yet. Big Fat Matt, Chris, Fixer 808, Eos, RMT, Liquid Calm, and myself haven't received their mixes yet.
    Last edited by Beef of the Sea; 07-24-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did this the last two times and would definitely be interested again.

Edit: The themes I did were Senses and Questions/Answers.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 05-12-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Where's your crown, King Nothing?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I was just thinking about this the other day. Definitely in. I participated in three or four of these. I really enjoyed all the different interpretations of the themes and different tastes that everyone had.

I remember LiquidCalm sent me a cardboard pencil holder from M3/4 that I just thought was so cool and his original music. I still use it and still listen to the music. Someone else gave me a toy for my dog which she still uses two or three years later. Not that it's about the little gifts, but they are sweet and gives you an idea of what a broad group of people hang around here.

I think you got all the "rules" however I think whoever organizes (you?) just PMs each person who they send to. It's not a partner swap. X sends to Y, Y sends to Z, Z sends to X.

The themes I participated in that I can remember were love, crime, and animals.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So in! Didn't even read the thing after the title. Just... I'm in.

Other rules (as originated by jordan, pre-perchee) — no obvious shit we know everyone here's already into, ie. NIN. If you fail to send a mix you will not be invited to future rounds.

I'd like to add: no fucking tapes, because what are you, some faggy hipster? Or if you're hellbent then at least include MP3s as well.
    Last edited by botley; 05-12-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Count me in.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Ooooh I'm in!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Are we allowed to send a mix mp3 + goodies in the post? And then if the recipient doesn't get both you get kicked out etc.

Am I being difficult again?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm in, 10 characters!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    YESSSSS! I still have blank cds from those exchanges- my very first one came from perchee actually <3

The only theme I have in mind right now is "FREEDOM!!" since I just graduated college, hahah.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm in! I always loved doing these!

edit: I'm really glad you still like your mix dra!
    I still have some from 2003-2004 around.. my favorite being 'Here Comes a Huge Fag' sent by... (better get this right) Helloween? It doesn't say on the cover.. its still an awesome mix and perfectly captures that era... For me at least..
    Last edited by liquidcalm; 05-13-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: further blabbering

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sign me up, yo!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Are we allowed to send a mix mp3 + goodies in the post? And then if the recipient doesn't get both you get kicked out etc.

Am I being difficult again?
    I think it is fair to demand that you not just send a link; the music should be on a physical medium of some kind... USB drive, maybe, if you literally cannot be arsed to burn a CD.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    this sounds SO cool! im in

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think it is fair to demand that you not just send a link; the music should be on a physical medium of some kind... USB drive, maybe, if you literally cannot be arsed to burn a CD.
    I think she meant more that if you send your CD + Extras, and the recipient doesn't receive both items, there are consequences.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'd like to add: no fucking tapes, because what are you, some faggy hipster? Or if you're hellbent then at least include MP3s as well.
    I meant mix tape as a turn of phrase, hell, I don't even know where I'd find a cassette player in this day and age.
    Will specify in the first post, OPTICAL MEDIA IN THE FORM OF A COMPACT DISC, or like you say, at the very least a flash drive with MP3's.

Anyway, I'll update the first post later in the day, and I guess we'll go from there. Exciting stuff!
    Last edited by Beef of the Sea; 05-13-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef of the Sea View Post
    I think she meant more that if you send your CD + Extras, and the recipient doesn't receive both items, there are consequences.

Right?
    I think it was more, if you send MP3s via the internet, you have to send something else through the mail. Something physical has to be exchanged. However, if someone signs up and then doesn't send ANYTHING, then they are forbidden from future exchanges. There was a list of people who cannot participate, but I can't find it using WayBackMachine. Unless someone actually got a backup of the old board, I suppose it's lost forever.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm sending a fucking cd. and if then the people can rip the mp3s from it. heh. MAIL IS SO MUCH MORE EXCITING TO RECEIVE! unless someone doesn't trust to give out their address =[

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I might just be a naab, but getting a parcel from fucknosewhere covered in exotic stamps is kind of exciting.

...I'm going to die alone.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef of the Sea View Post

Right?

Right. I totally recognise the importance of getting joyful goodness in the post. It just feels redundant to send a CD - although I like Botley's USB idea. I'd rather spend the postage on sending you jam, tea, and locks of the Queen's hair.

Hence why I originally said "+ goodies in the post", retarded humans who didn't read my post properly and thought I was anti-mail.
    Last edited by icklekitty; 05-14-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just updated the first post, give me a shout if you think I've missed anything.
    I say we give it a week or two before we get this started, in case there are some irregulars interested.
    What would you consider a realistic time frame for compiling your mix, then dispatching it? Say a fortnight or a month?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I say a month at least.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    A month, definitely.

Also, I can't burn CD's anymore because my drive is kaput, and I can't really be bothered to fix it. So someone is going to get a free USB stick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like to suggest some themes.

Travel
    Space
    Fantasy (like LOTR, not sexual)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love being surprised at the mailbox. Sign me up yo.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    I'd like to suggest some themes.

Travel
    I second this suggestion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ugh, how do I un-facepalm a post? Stupid touch screen.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    travel would be a great one. count me in for that (and for this as well!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaned View Post
    I'm thinking of making an actual DJ mix for mine, or would people rather to just get a regular playlist?
    If it were me, and you chose to take the USB stick route, I'd want both the DJ mix and the individual tracks!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    Ugh, how do I un-facepalm a post? Stupid touch screen.
    haha, i was wondering what you were trying to say with that. i think you just have to click the same button again.

I like the travel theme (even though i still want the Freedom theme!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I suppose that if you interpret them from a certain point of view, they could be considered the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    haha, i was wondering what you were trying to say with that. i think you just have to click the same button again.
    I tried, but once you do one action, the option to do either disappears. I'll ask in the Reports & Suggestions area thread aboot it.