Page 148 of 191 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    8. Stone Temple Pilots were one of the best rock bands of the 1990's.
    Absolutely! Their first five albums are some of my favorite albums of all time

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    If I touched that list we'd be here all day.
    How about just “gently petting it”?...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Some random thoughts:

1. Whitesnake doesn't suck.
    2. 1970's Elvis>1950's Elvis, at least in terms of musical output.
    3. OK Computer and Pet Sounds are good albums but overrated.
    4. Jani Lane (of Warrant) was an underrated songwriter.
    5. Metallica's Load and Reload were both pretty good albums.
    6. Kid Rock is an underrated talent (I hate his fucking politics).
    7. KISS are underrated as songwriters.
    8. Stone Temple Pilots were one of the best rock bands of the 1990's.
    9. David Lee Roth's 1990's solo albums were good.
    10. The Beatles Let it Be is as good as Abbey Road/Sgt. Pepper/Revolver.
    I've probably said this a million times on here, but a mate of mine once said that if Corrosion of Conformity had made "Load", it would be hailed as a classic.

My favourite album by them is Kill Em All, but I've never been outraged by the black album or anything after. Ride/Puppets/Justice are basically the exact same album 3 times, it would have been boring to do even more. black, load and magnetic are all pretty decent for latterday offerings, recognisably the same band but doing it a little differently, same as Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning (when you compare the two).

Black album is interesting because it took metal and slowed it down, but without going into downtuned sabbath/doom territory, or (what would become) nu metal. It doesn't really sound like many other metal albums. I've never really understood the outrage

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The only truly terrible album, imho, is St. Anger. I always liked Lulu and stand by my assessment that it was a pretty cool and original project.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Re: Metallica’s black album- it’s mostly just a hard rock album, from a band that made some of the best thrash metal. also its Hetfield’s first attempt at really trying to “sing with melody” on a number of songs, and he’s just not that good at it. The song writhing is nothing much to be desired either- it’s not that far off from their previous releases but “Bob” had to put some “Rock” into it and was a disappointment to my ears at the time. Has held up ok over the years I’ll admit, mostly from the songs that don’t get radio play imho.

Won’t even bother getinginto the Loads. Those are just sad, lol.

EDIT: long day, sorry for the typos and poor grammar.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Whitesnake had some really good songs that were kind of crushed by the later do-over as a hair metal band. Even those songs weren't bad at all, really. David Coverdale has cred because of Deep Purple, and later the album with Jimmy Page. The weird thing about them is that they were kind of the opposite of what I think of Guns 'n Roses were, a bridge between 80's hard rock and the harder stuff the 90's would produce. Whitesnake were the bridge between classic 70's rock and hair or glam metal if you like.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Whitesnake had some really good songs that were kind of crushed by the later do-over as a hair metal band. Even those songs weren't bad at all, really. David Coverdale has cred because of Deep Purple, and later the album with Jimmy Page. The weird thing about them is that they were kind of the opposite of what I think of Guns 'n Roses were, a bridge between 80's hard rock and the harder stuff the 90's would produce. Whitesnake were the bridge between classic 70's rock and hair or glam metal if you like.
    Whitesnake started off as an off-shoot of Deep Purple, as Coverdale, Paice and Lord were all original members. Over the years they became Coverdale's band, with an ever-changing lineup. They were touring and putting out albums for a decade before they really left the starting gate and became very popular. Last two albums (the the amazing Reb Beach on guitar) smoke and and are very good (if 80's guitar rock is your thing). And the Coverdale/Page CD is excellent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I like the Pumpkins, but I can’t see the genius . Every album seems to have a few great songs and A LOT of filler. I can’t listen to any of their albums from beginning to wnd without getting bored and feeling uninspired.

Siamese Dream is overrated

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The only truly terrible album, imho, is St. Anger. I always liked Lulu and stand by my assessment that it was a pretty cool and original project.
    My distant impression is that Lulu probably did a lot more for Metallica creatively than St. Anger, which from a purely musical level was their attempt at making some kind of sense out of nu-metal. They must have really started feeling their age and maybe out of step when they did that stadium tour with Kid Rock and Korn, just before Newsted left.

OTOH working with a legend like Lou Reed, and thinking completely outside the box must have opened their eyes to what more they can do musically. It certainly shows on their last album, as it's for me one of their best and it shows they're still hungry.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    I like the Pumpkins, but I can’t see the genius . Every album seems to have a few great songs and A LOT of filler. I can’t listen to any of their albums from beginning to wnd without getting bored and feeling uninspired.

Siamese Dream is overrated
    I just can't listen to his voice after a while.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    for me, “awhile” is roughly 2.5 seconds.

There is some great music there however.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I feel the same. There's just a point where Billy sounds too nasally and whiny after a while. And honestly, I don't think I can make it through one of their albums without thinking it starts to sound pretentious. I still like the Pumpkins and think they have some great material, but they get tiring after a while.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ENOUGH!!! with the biopics.

I enjoyed Straight Outta Compton. Bohemian Rhapsody was entertaining even thogh the timeliness and other stuff weren’t correct. Now Motley Crue is doing theirs.

Money is king, people.

Ill probably go see the MC movie too lol.

EDIT: Machine Gun Kelly is playing Tommy Lee—— WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! Maybe Mark Whalberg will let him borrow his “prop” from Boogie Nights.
    Last edited by Krazy; 12-04-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    ENOUGH!!! with the biopics.

I enjoyed Straight Outta Compton. Bohemian Rhapsody was entertaining even thogh the timeliness and other stuff weren’t correct. Now Motley Crue is doing theirs.

Money is king, people.

Ill probably go see the MC movie too lol.

EDIT: Machine Gun Kelly is playing Tommy Lee—— WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! Maybe Mark Whalberg will let him borrow his “prop” from Boogie Nights.
    Being an older Crüe fan I can tell you it's been in the talks and works since 2009 and was to be based on The Dirt. The Saints of Los Angeles album was meant to be a tie in OST.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Being an older Crüe fan I can tell you it's been in the talks and works since 2009 and was to be based on The Dirt. The Saints of Los Angeles album was meant to be a tie in OST.
    Yeah, it’s not so much that I hadn’t heard about but more so that all these biopics are happening. The Elton John one is right around the corner too. They’ll eventually become tiresome like VH1’s Behind The Music. So many of those episodes were interchangeable. (Rock Star gets big, Star gets hooked on drugs/alcohol, Star gets sober, Star makes comeback and is interested in a political future, BLAH!)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Yeah, it’s not so much that I hadn’t heard about but more so that all these biopics are happening. The Elton John one is right around the corner too. They’ll eventually become tiresome like VH1’s Behind The Music. So many of those episodes were interchangeable. (Rock Star gets big, Star gets hooked on drugs/alcohol, Star gets sober, Star makes comeback and is interested in a political future, BLAH!)
    idk.
    i guess i'm easily amused. i like them.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Rock Star gets big, Star gets hooked on drugs/alcohol, Star gets sober, Star makes comeback and is interested in a political future, BLAH!
    Oh hey, it's the Trent Reznor biopic.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    idk.
    i guess i'm easily amused. i like them.
    Most definitely, I’ve liked the ones that have come out also (none really Oscar worthy, but a fun watch). It’s more of the inevitable over-saturation of them. I was just on blabblermouth and saw this:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jou...ians-director/

Hollywood has had a hard time coming up with original stuff for some time- not all their fault or writers, only so many stories you can tell before you start repeating oneself or copying ideas- and these biopics have been successful so it may be the next gravy train. [“Gravy Train”- the name for a Pink Floyd biopic!!!]

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Most definitely, I’ve liked the ones that have come out also (none really Oscar worthy, but a fun watch). It’s more of the inevitable over-saturation of them. I was just on blabblermouth and saw this:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jou...ians-director/

Hollywood has had a hard time coming up with original stuff for some time- not all their fault or writers, only so many stories you can tell before you start repeating oneself or copying ideas- and these biopics have been successful so it may be the next gravy train. [“Gravy Train”- the name for a Pink Floyd biopic!!!]
    Who gives a fuck about Journey in 2018?

Let alone knows or cares about any song besides the overplayed and obvious Don't Stop Believing. Puke.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Let alone knows or cares about any song besides the overplayed and obvious Don't Stop Believing. Puke.
    journey has a great story though, that's insanely inspirational. Their current singer was discovered on YouTube and, when Journey contacted him, he thought it was someone fucking with him.
    And he became the heart and soul of the band. It's like a "dream come true" story about a Filipino dude who had a rough life, but wound up becoming the lead singer for one of his favorite bands.
    I don't care much about journey, but I did see them with Heart and Cheep Trick in 09, and there's definitely something special about the singer and his story. I could get behind a movie that focused mostly on his story.

And I guess THIS is controversial, but I'm looking forward to more biopics. I'd love one about Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Rush. I'd like to see one about bowie, Robert Johnson, Nirvana.

Idk. I hope the keep 'em coming, as long as they're reasonably good.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-06-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I'm not a big Journey guy. I like a few songs and have their greatest hits which is more than enough for me. Different
    strokes...Neil Schon is a great guitarist and I liked his album with Sammy Hagar (HSAS) and his band Hardline (music was used in the Brandon Lee movie Rapid Fire). Kinda feel like he wasted his talents writing schlock.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-06-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

And I guess THIS is controversial, but I'm looking forward to more biopics. I'd love one about Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Rush. I'd like to see one about bowie, Robert Johnson, Nirvana.

Idk. I hope the keep 'em coming, as long as they're reasonably good.
    Do we REALLY need another Kurt Cobain biopic, really?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'd like to see a movie about Andrew Wood. The Motley Crue (yawn) movie will be out next year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Since the holidays are coming up...
    "O Holy Night" is one of the best pieces of music ever written, but it's completely ruined if the singer can't hit the high note at the end.
    "Linus and Lucy" is NOT A FUCKING CHRISTMAS SONG!
    "Baby, it's Cold Outside" is not about date rape.
    The Trans Siberian Orchestra is the second worst thing that's ever happened to Christmas music.
    "Wonderful Christmas Time" is the worst thing that's ever happened to Christmas music.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    Since the holidays are coming up...
    "O Holy Night" is one of the best pieces of music ever written, but it's completely ruined if the singer can't hit the high note at the end.
    "Linus and Lucy" is NOT A FUCKING CHRISTMAS SONG!
    "Baby, it's Cold Outside" is not about date rape.
    The Trans Siberian Orchestra is the second worst thing that's ever happened to Christmas music.
    "Wonderful Christmas Time" is the worst thing that's ever happened to Christmas music.
    For Christmas music I stick with Bing, Frank, Dean, Nat and Perry.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Have you read the rumors going around that David Lynch is currently in the process of raising funds to make a film about Robert Johnson?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-love-in-vain/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Do we REALLY need another Kurt Cobain biopic, really?
    I love Nirvana, but is there really any more to say about them or Kurt?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Have you read the rumors going around that David Lynch is currently in the process of raising funds to make a film about Robert Johnson?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-love-in-vain/
    No! But that sounds fucking AWESOME!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    I love Nirvana, but is there really any more to say about them or Kurt?
    I mean, idk. But I would certainly enjoy a well crafted dramatization.
    @WorzelG , there is already a Cobain biopic? I've never heard of or seen one.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-06-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    only good Journey song:

It's kinda hard at times. And the video is absurd, part. the keyboard stuck to the outdoor wall of a building.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-07-2018 at 12:30 AM.