Page 160 of 191 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    no doubt, but not having heard of Chicago is wild. They're on, what, *checks wiki* Chicago XXXVI for Pete's sake. lol

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I like Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion's new song "WAP"

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you racist!

Spoiler: (For those wondering, WOP is the racist term in question)
    Last edited by allegate; 08-10-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    you racist!

Spoiler: (For those wondering, WOP is the racist term in question)
    They're indirectly racist because it's spelled WOP. Not WAP.

I don't give a shit anyways, just pointing out the idiotic spelling.

Cardi B is stupid and weird. She makes sounds and noises and calls it music.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    no doubt, but not having heard of Chicago is wild. They're on, what, *checks wiki* Chicago XXXVI for Pete's sake. lol
    "Does anyone Know What Time It Is?" is a good jam.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    They're indirectly racist because it's spelled WOP. Not WAP.

I don't give a shit anyways, just pointing out the idiotic spelling.

Cardi B is stupid and weird. She makes sounds and noises and calls it music.
    honestly can't tell if i'm missing something or if you are but you know "WAP" in the case of the song stands for "wet-ass pussy" right?

i mean, in my world, it stands for "wireless access point" so i was really confused for a while.

wtf does "WOP" even mean???

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I want to live in a world where they were actually singing about wireless access points. Leave the rest the same.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    honestly can't tell if i'm missing something or if you are but you know "WAP" in the case of the song stands for "wet-ass pussy" right?

i mean, in my world, it stands for "wireless access point" so i was really confused for a while.

wtf does "WOP" even mean???
    It was a joke. That tweet took offense because the spelling was wrong.

A wop is an old derogatory slur used against Italian-Americans a long time ago. It’s par with Guinea for “being insulting” to Italians. I’m part Italian and my paternal family heritage is engrossed in Italian culture but I can’t recall anyone being offended by those words. Then again it’s not 1945.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-11-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    It was a joke. That tweet took offense because the spelling was wrong.

A wop is an old derogatory slur used against Italian-Americans a long time ago. It’s par with Guinea.
    people are garbage, man. i don't get why there are derogatory terms for any group of people. it's so disheartening.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The whole thing made me recall a Facebook post for the building I used to work at. It was a federal building, and it may or may not be locked down right now due to nightly protests. Anyway. The elevator buttons are set up much like a phone with 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9, and P-0-G on the bottom row instead of the star and hashtag. So the post was that someone had taken a picture of it and said "these people hate veterans, see!" and a longer diatribe about why. I had to look it up because I had never heard it before and it turns out that I was in and very pog job series on a very infantry-centric post (Big Red One HQ) so really should have.
    Yankees versus Red Sox, dogs versus cats, Coca-Cola versus Pepsi — all these rivalries pale in comparison to grunts versus POGs.

A colloquialism for infantrymen in the Army and Marine Corps, grunts are the military’s door kickers and trigger pullers, in short, they’re the pointy end of the spear. By contrast, the term POG — person other than grunt — refers to non-infantry personnel. POGs provide all the support — from food, chow, ammo, and intel to transportation and air power — that ensures grunts can do their jobs effectively, like take the fight to the enemy.
    so I responded with something to the effect of "it's an elevator, it means Parking, zero, and Ground floor. stop trying to be offended."

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    A wop is an old derogatory slur used against Italian-Americans a long time ago. It’s par with Guinea for “being insulting” to Italians. I’m part Italian and my paternal family heritage is engrossed in Italian culture but I can’t recall anyone being offended by those words. Then again it’s not 1945.
    Wop. Guido. Dago. (Not entirely sure about the correct spellings?) I think the latter two terms have kind of took over as more modern deragotory words toward stereotypical Italian Americans. Regardless I wouldn’t start running around calling anyone these names lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    WOP originated as an acronym for "without papers." America loves to hit that "you didn't come here the right way" bell.
    I remember being told the same thing years ago, but in fact there's good reason to think that this isn't the origin of the term (link).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    No problem! I only discovered this because I also thought it was acronym, but couldn't remember what for, so looked it up and discovered that it wasn't.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Is it trap? I think I hate trap, though I'm still unclear on what exactly that is (explanations I've gotten are wanting and the genre seems to encompass everything from 2007 on).
    Yes, it's trap. However, anything "slow" with hi-hats is considered trap these days.

Artists that people currently associate with the "origins" of trap (Young Jeezy, T.I., Migos/Quavo) were heavily influenced by groups like UGK, OutKast, and Three 6 Mafia, genres like horrorcore (Three 6, Esham, etc.), and the remixing technique known as "Chopped & Screwed".

Unfortunately, the vast majority of popular rap these days could be classified into trap or moombahton.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is from last year but I’m loving Stuart Braithwaite of Mogwai pointing out that Britpop led to Brexit! All the xenophobia of that yanks go home bullshit, urgh

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This is from last year but I’m loving Stuart Braithwaite of Mogwai pointing out that Britpop led to Brexit! All the xenophobia of that yanks go home bullshit, urgh
    I'm a Mogwai fan ...but damn

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    for some reason, I've had various songs from In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel stuck in my head, and it's driving me crazy. I used to generally like this album, and I thought Magnum had a weird yelping and yodeling, but I thought it was unique and at least a little interesting...

After having Oh Comely running through my head... I'm going to lose my mind. This is such an overrated album, and it influenced some really horrible bands, and not even its great moments (Two Headed Boy, King of Carrot Flowers pt 1, Holland) make up for the way he sings "bright and bubbly!!!!!!"

Maybe if I can just kick this out of my head I'll come back around to thinking it's pretty good, but right now, I'm kind of hating Neutral Milk Hotel and I wish I'd never heard this.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Seems a bit far-fetched for Britpop to be the start of this madness. It's not the first time racism was actively promoted to the general public. British television, particularly comedy, used to be incredibly racist.

This melting pot has been boiling over for decades. There are a lot of racists in Britain now, and as far as I can tell it's just as bad as it ever was.

I say this as someone who is British myself. My parents are quite racist. My grandparents were very racist. This is not atypical. It's slowly drained out of my family over several generations. I do my best to not behave or think like them. It's ingrained in the culture. Deliberately or inherently, I have no clue.

Not proud of my country nor my heritage.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I never understood the concept of being proud of your country anyway.

But then again I'm German, so...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Seems a bit far-fetched for Britpop to be the start of this madness. It's not the first time racism was actively promoted to the general public. British television, particularly comedy, used to be incredibly racist.

This melting pot has been boiling over for decades. There are a lot of racists in Britain now, and as far as I can tell it's just as bad as it ever was.

I say this as someone who is British myself. My parents are quite racist. My grandparents were very racist. This is not atypical. It's slowly drained out of my family over several generations. I do my best to not behave or think like them. It's ingrained in the culture. Deliberately or inherently, I have no clue.

Not proud of my country nor my heritage.
    yeah I do agree with you, also the mainstream press had been anti-EU for decades (always makes me laugh when people talk about liberal MSM as in Britain most rags are horrendously right wing). I hate Britpop though and will applaud any chance to put the boot in!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I never liked britpop and what it meant to represent.

I like Oasis' debut album quite a bit, but their view-point on music is exactly why I despise BritPop, apparently by their description music shouldn't explore sad/negative themes but only be a happy drug or some bullshit.

It's obvious that BritPop was a reaction to music getting darker and edgier, to some extend I would understand but some took it too far, I also found Blur's criticism of Grunge pretty cringey and often missplaced what the genre actually was. I am not the fan of the genre in general and it speaks volumes why bands which were associated became better when they distanced themselves away from it. I honestly prefer Nu Metal/Grunge over this movement any day.

tl:dr - fuck britpop :/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I never understood the appeal of bands like The Libertines, I think they're awful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Type O Negative are the greatest rock band to have ever existed, balancing cult status, pop sensibility and artistic integrity almost flawlessly. Peter Steele was a self-created work of art, whose flaws magnified his noble soul. RIP.

Oh!

But TON should have totally sold out in 2007, and released something leaning heavily on the pop atmospheres of Life Is Killing Me and October Rust. I'm convinced that, if Peter had been able to bounce back psychologically from his stint in Ryker's, he'd still be alive today. And I think releasing a light-hearted record would have gone a long way in keeping him alive. Even if he was sober on Dead Again, the stress of his incarceration undoubtedly contributed to his death. I am fucking certain that he didn't have to go when he did, and would have continued growing as an artist and a man for a long time to come.
    Last edited by Einzige; 08-18-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Type O Negative are the greatest rock band to have ever existed, balancing cult status, pop sensibility and artistic integrity almost flawlessly. Peter Steele was a self-created work of art, whose flaws magnified his noble soul. RIP.
    Love Type O Negative, it was a shame last time I saw them at the London Astoria, Pete Steele didn’t seem well and was sitting down a lot with his bottle of wine! Sign of what was to come? It was 2007. Still a great show though.
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-18-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Love Type O Negative, it was a shame last time I saw them at the London Astoria, Pete Steele didn’t seem well and was sitting down a lot with his bottle of wine! Sign of what was to come? It was 2007. Still a great show though.
    Like I said, I strongly believe that Dead Again actually contributed to his death. You can tell that he was slow to rebound from being locked up, and I am positive that the added emotional stress of reliving those experiences for the record killed him. If he could somehow have gotten over it fully, I am convinced TON would still be writing and recording today.
    Last edited by Einzige; 08-18-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    how odd that this comes up when they release a TON cover.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    how odd that this comes up when they release a TON cover.

Perfect timing and an out of left field choice.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't know what the differencet between Proto-Punk and Punk Rock is. I just find it silly, Punk Rock wasn't properly established yet and wasn't popular really yet, so it's Punk Rock but not really? Even tho it fits the musical definition perfectly???

Nah dude, you are just too scared to outright say that The Stooges are Punk Rock!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Hello.

It's me again.

Reminding you that genre labels are half-accurate signposts—usually put up by complete idiots or people so specialized as to be nearly useless to the world—which do more of a disservice to than any favor for artists and audiences alike.

This is a recording.

Beep.
    I will still discuss them though

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Wouldn't you rather be discussing the music itself rather than whether it does or doesn't fit under an imperfect label, created by imperfect people?
    Discussion of the music's genre is a discussion of the music itself. And some of these genres names and terms were created by musicians themselves, didn't Throbbing Gristle call themselves Industrial and that's where the term came from and helped to shape the genre since it had a name and several things listed that make Industrial - Industrial? It also helps us to disquish between music, easily to define it and discuss what type of music an artist is making, if you use genres correctly you can most of the time describe the music you are hearing pretty well.

Another example is the genre "Power Electronics" which was coined by William Bennett himself and that genre has its own attributes that make it easier for us to indentify and make it easier for us to discuss.

So I think genres are interesting to discuss and they aren't that imperfect, like I stated before, it makes it easier for us to track down history of music and to see its development throughout history.

So, I think it's interesting for me and I think it helps me to discuss music personally for me, it can for example show you how something as innacessible and abrassive as Industrial would be transformed into the more accessible and even top-charting genres like Industrial Rock/Electro-Industrial

I think it's important to discuss and properly, because a lot of people don't know how to use them and attach "Industrial", "Goth", or "Emo" to a lot of music which doesn't fit it at all and in return it gives that type of music a bad representation which doesn't fit it or properly represent what it actually stands for.