Page 151 of 191 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've been realizing more and more that the stories, gimmicks, images, controversies/hype and overall experiences and journeys are also sometimes massive selling points to me aside from the music itself no matter how popular or obscure they are. On the other hand, when giving a proper listen, I just focus on the music itself in spite of whatever gimmicks and controversies the band would be rife with. I also realize that one can also easily contradict themselves when it comes to discussing controversies (Character flaws and blunders.) and gimmicks (Which can also very well include the sell-out topic.) as well, since they can also be into musicians that kind of more or less do the same things that the ones they've sworn off too. As with expressing opinions in general, that's when it sometimes gets tricky.

I also further realize that as long as I can have fun with it, aside from being able to relate/cope with it, that's all that really matters to me, whether it be a couple of songs or a couple of albums. I also still love listening to and collecting albums, but after trying to force myself to listen to albums in chronological order when getting into another band for the first time for a long time, it finally helped me see why some people just settle for songs. Admittedly, some musicians' discographies seem to be best listened to in chronological order, but skipping around albums has also saved me a lot of trouble, and helped make it not like pulling teeth for me.

I still admit that I care what others think, and I try to keep an open mind as I appreciate people's knowledge and credibility, but for me personally, I see why it's up to me to figure out what works for me and what doesn't, and to just remember that it's still always impossible to just please everybody. Just going through life has also made me realize just how personal and serious music can be for some, so it's not a subject I take lightly when brought up. I can't ever claim to be a hardcore music buff either, but I also never wanted to turn getting into music and album collecting like some sort of competition or chore in terms of keeping up with who or what.

It'll never be good enough, or even enough to some and with anything in general, as much as I have a bucket-list mentality to certain things in life, I always hated just doing things just to say I did it. It also makes perfect sense that like any other person performing for a living, they must mentally condition themselves to accept that it'll still never be good enough, or even enough to somebody. It's also no wonder, otherwise they'd be far/much too paralyzed/crippled in fear/regret to even keep/hold/maintain a career in music. (For musicians specifically.) And well, just like how other interests are not for certain people, that could even include music itself. Almost everybody I know likes music, but obviously not always in the same way and that's okay. I had to catch myself as well, which is yet another reminder that just because something floats your boat, doesn't mean it'll float their boat.

For instance, it's okay to be a hardcore gamer and for somebody else to be a moderate and/or casual gamer. It just seems to be a matter of accepting and respecting those differences, since not everybody will be into the same interests in the same exact way, through the same exact reasons and means.

For an example, if it's a matter of bickering about bad taste, it's also a matter of just not getting into enough tastes. Nothing wrong with expanding your tastes/interests either, but it's like a hardcore gamer chewing out a not so hardcore gamer for not playing as much video games as the hardcore ones, if not just to discuss good games and bad games, while neglecting the fact that not everybody is meant to be, let alone be interested in becoming a hardcore gamer.

This just occurred to me again as I ponder why I got into music in the first place, and knowing and experiencing just how one's tastes and ranges of tastes and motives can be easily criticized and questioned to a seemingly perpetual amount of proportions and angles. I know I shouldn't really care or let it get to me, but I figured that this is the perfect thread/forum to get this off my chest. Upon realizing this, it just motivated and encouraged me to just do me and move on. (But not like to the point that I dismiss other opinions and views either, nor also being incessantly swayed by them either.)

-To somehow tie this in with the thread title, I'm basically referring to how even one's own very preferences and even reasons for getting into music can be controversial among music fans.-

This isn't just exclusive to ETS and music either, but even life in general from people-pleasing, which is an ultimate product of constantly caring what other people think, making so many things a mission to satisfy and impress others, while also trying to win them over in terms of having them absolutely love/like and making them happy every which way possible. It can take a toll when even you keep asking yourself, "Is this right? Is this wrong? Should I continue? Should I stop? Why didn't I start?"

Now, it's just like whatever. To each their own. Take whatever good advice/suggestions you can get, but always remember to just do you man, and most importantly, just have fun on this short existence on Earth, but this time to myself.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-31-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I said she sucks and is awful but I actually like this song. How? Why?

Cool video too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I just don't really like Meshuggah. They've got some rad parts, but all of their songs are too long. Cool rhythm/riff, but you don't need to play it for three minutes straight. Feel the same way about Tool.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

Cool video too.
    no joke, this triggered a panic attack when i watched it yesterday morning.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Cool video too.
    That's not actually that bad. Kinda cool.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Cool video too.
    Chances are if you like that, you'll like some of her other stuff too. I didn't expect to like her music, but I really do.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Who is the greatest band with more mediocre/bad albums than classics? I saw this brought up in the Black Sabbath thread but thought it would be a good question to pose here. My choice would be Van Halen. The debut and 1984 are solid albums throughout, but everything between and after seemed to have some good singles with lots of filler stuffed in.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Who is the greatest band with more mediocre/bad albums than classics? I saw this brought up in the Black Sabbath thread but thought it would be a good question to pose here. My choice would be Van Halen. The debut and 1984 are solid albums throughout, but everything between and after seemed to have some good singles with lots of filler stuffed in.
    No way man. "The Six Pack" is damn near untouchable. The original lineup never released a bad song, IMHO. Some pretty great deep cuts, IMHO.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    tori amos. everything from her debut in 1992 up through "to venus and back" in 1999 is phenomenal...and then "strange little girls", her covers album was not too good, and "scarlett's walk" in 2002 was half great and half boring as hell. i haven't liked anything she's put out since then other than one song.

i would also say CAN. i don't really like much of their output post-"soon over babaluma" but everything leading up through that album is fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    What about The Rolling Stones- when was their last decent album? Their output may not qualify for the good:bad ratio though.

Black Sabbath is weird though. They’ve gone through too many singers, at some point you just throw your hands up and say this isn’t the same band as the “classic lineup” (and Dio).

EDIT: Pearl Jam kind of blows.
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-03-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    What about The Rolling Stones- when was their last decent album? Their output may not qualify for the good:bad ratio though.

Black Sabbath is weird though. They’ve gone through too many singers, at some point you just throw your hands up and say this isn’t the same band as the “classic lineup” (and Dio).

EDIT: Pearl Jam kind of blows.
    i heard a new pearl jam song on the radio today and it was...almost embarrassing. it felt musically very uninspired and the lyrics were sophomoric and juvenile. blergh.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Who is the greatest band with more mediocre/bad albums than classics?
    Boston. First album is a classic, albeit overplayed, but they were a band of diminishing returns. The first two follow-ups were good, but everything after Third Stage (1986) has pretty much sucked.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Boston. First album is a classic, albeit overplayed, but they were a band of diminishing returns. The first two follow-ups were good, but everything after Third Stage (1986) has pretty much sucked.
    They only have a handful of albums though, so batting around .500 is pretty damn good.

Oh! I think I have the answer. It’s gotta be...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    They only have a handful of albums though, so batting around .500 is pretty damn good.

Oh! I think I have the answer. It’s gotta be...
    One great album, two good ones and three that are shitty.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    MetallicA!!!

have fun attempting to put together a greatest hits for them post 80’s. They sucked as a hard rock band, although Hardwired is pretty damn good at moments.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I like the Beatles but I can't stand Hey Jude.

I do like Let It Be though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    have fun attempting to put together a greatest hits for them post 80’s.
    I mean, it kinda depends on how we're defining greatest hits... a large part of their commercial success came in the 90s (I count 17 charting singles in a decade), and personally, I love the production on Load, Reload, Garage Inc. and S&M... so it'd be easy for me on that side. 2000-2019, I'm a lot less familiar with their catalogue... I tapped out at St. Anger.

But... ...And Justice For All is still my favourite overall album, so there's that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    People stick up for their 90's albums a lot, and of what I have heard they are damn good. I think the only Stones albums I have ever listened to back and front are Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers so I can't judge them in those regards, but I think they always up until now have been good as a band to have one or two really good songs whenever a new record comes out.

Hell, I even like the 4 songs they did for the Forty Licks compilation.

One band I should throw out there, just in terms of studio albums alone since their live material gets way more praise, is The Allman Brothers Band. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of nearly every era up until the time they broke up finally in 2014. But they had a few mediocre records held up by the strength of one or two tracks (Win, Lose or Draw, Enlightened Rogues and Where It All Begins) and two rather bad ones in the early 80's when Arista wanted them to reinvent themselves as a southern Doobie Brothers, even though they have a smattering of material I think is somewhat okay.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 07-04-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Boston is absolute dogshit. Every album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Boston is absolute dogshit. Every album.
    Nah man, More Than A Feeling is the Ultimate Song, don't forget that!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

"Blue & Lonesome" was the latest album and it's pretty good, just blues covers, before that album they released "A Bigger Bang" that is pretty good too...

As for Sabbath, they basically became a "solo project" for Tony Iommi, they made him keep the band name for commercial reasons...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Nah man, More Than A Feeling is the Ultimate Song, don't forget that!

WZLZ in Boston plays their music, especially the debut all the time, like every song once a day. I could go the rest of my life without hearing it, but it's still a great album.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Rasputina is probably as important as any sacred cow

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Rasputina is probably as important as any sacred cow
    Sarcasm?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Sarcasm?
    No, I actually think (despite their goofier moments and missteps) that they're a truly fascinating and interesting band that really just did their own thing. At their best they're great. The production on a lot of their albums is a bummer though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I like the Beatles but I can't stand Hey Jude.

I do like Let It Be though.
    I'm with you on this. The Beatles recorded some of my favorite songs and albums of all time, but I have a hard time getting into that one. It's just... bland.

On a somewhat related / controversial opinions note: I really like McCartney II.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I'm with you on this. The Beatles recorded some of my favorite songs and albums of all time, but I have a hard time getting into that one. It's just... bland.

On a somewhat related / controversial opinions note: I really like McCartney II.
    McCartney II is awesome. New Wave Paul.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Limpbizkit are criminally underrated. Gold Cobra was awesome.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    Limpbizkit are criminally underrated. Gold Cobra was awesome.
    They are underappreciated. The rhythm section is top notch if you're able to get past Durst.

And I agree about Hey Jude. Or maybe its just played out.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Musically, Bizkit is interesting and worth having in your ears. Vocally, Durst ruins the entire thing. If i could get an entire collection of Limp Bizkit instrumentals, i'd pay for that. I won't put money on any album with Durst, though.