Page 163 of 191 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 161 162 163 164 165 173 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    people who leak albums are assholes, and so are the people who listen to the leaks.

let the band determine when and how you get to hear it. it's their art, it's their plan. end of story.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    In the pantheon of classic rock/guitar rock, Van Halen is as good as Led Zeppelin. Van Halen were my favorite band as a youth, and I somewhat moved on since then, but since Eddie's passing I have reconnected with those albums and man, they are so fucking good.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    More of a fan of VH than LZ as well. Been listening to Women and Children First quite a bit lately too, love that album.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I just finished listening to 16 different tribute albums... I don't know why I like remixes, covers and mash-ups so much but yeah... fine, I do.

Now, yeah, sure, there are plenty of terrible remixes, covers and mash-ups but I have a surprisingly high tolerance for them. Mainly I just don't like ones that I consider lazy or with ones that I'm not really a fan of the original to appreciate what they've done as an interpretation.

Oh Cleopatra Records...
    Last edited by MrLobster; 10-22-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Dream Theater is such a fitting band name for music that puts me to sleep. I never understood why this band is applauded for more than what they are - typical 80's/90's prog metal with nerdy lyrics. The music is so damn boring to me. Every song is overly long and exhausting to listen to every time I have tried this band.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They've done shorter songs, and with lyrics concerning more down-to-earth themes. Mike Portnoy even wrote a series of songs about the 12 steps of recovery. But once he left my interest in them fled as well. The album before last is basically every cringe-y prog cliche in the book, and utterly awful.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Pull me under", still is a great song:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "Pull me under", still is a great song:

It's their top song and it does pretty much nothing for me.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It's their top song and it does pretty much nothing for me.
    "Top" in popularity, but it doesn't represent the band...

I'm not a huge fan or anything, but i do like some of their albums, to me their biggest flaw is LaBrie's voice (far too mellow...), they ended up being a cliché, but have great albums like "Awake" or "Metropolis Pt.2", not saying you should like them, i do understand their haters in a way, but i also think they have underrated songs and get dismissed only for their virtuosity.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm not super into DT, but they are uber talented. Saw them a few times, really great shows and musicianship. Mike Portnoy has another band that I like, the Winery Dogs, with Richie Kotzen and Billy Sheehan.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    "Size Matters" is Helmet's best album.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    King Nothing and Angry Again are the O N L Y good Metallica and Megadeth songs.

Slayer is trash. Thrash is garbage.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    King Nothing and Angry Again are the O N L Y good Metallica and Megadeth songs.

Slayer is trash. Thrash is garbage.
    Mmmmm, yeah that is a controversial opinion. One I strongly disagree with.

For the record,

Slayer >>>>>> Megadeth > Anthrax > Metallica

There are other bands in the genre old and new that are good.

Here's your parting gift, friend.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Mmmmm, yeah that is a controversial opinion. One I strongly disagree with.

For the record,

Slayer >>>>>> Megadeth > Anthrax > Metallica

There are other bands in the genre old and new that are good.

Here's your parting gift, friend.

Slayer ain’t no Limp Bizkit.

Srs though I’d rather listen to Creeds Weathered than anything by Slayer. I think you’re a beautiful person inside and out though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Don't agree on Metallica, agree on Slayer 100%. Not a single song I like by them.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    White Pony isn't really that great of an album :P It's probably my least fave deftones album

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    White Pony isn't really that great of an album :P It's probably my least fave deftones album
    On a similar tangent - I don't listen to or enjoy much of the Deftones output pre SNW.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal04 View Post
    Am I crazy, or has David Gilmour evolved into a superior artist to Roger Waters?
    You probably don't come here anymore but I'll answer you anyway.

Yes. Since Amused to Death, an album that is pure cynical theatrical genius Waters has done one (I'm not counting the opera) full album, and several songs that were on soundtracks or just performed live. Is This the Life We Really Want? is an okay record, on first listen I was blown away but I wouldn't say that the enthusiasm for it has remained the way his older work has.

In between 1992 and 2017, Gilmour put out 2 albums with Pink Floyd, two solo, several live records which celebrate but don't fully hinge on the Floyd hits like Waters' stuff has (it's a great shame he didn't tour ATD, the matter of his pride being so hurt by struggling to fill arenas in the 80's). And with On an Island and Rattle That Lock, those records do not sound so distinctly like Floyd apart from his guitar playing and singing. He evolved in such a way that I can see those as much more of an evolution from The Division Bell, then just clinging to the past.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Weezer has actually a good discography, only Hurley is bad, the rest of the albums; some of them are nearly perfect, some of them are great, some of them are good, but I feel like a lot of people overhate them.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Weezer has actually a good discography, only Hurley is bad, the rest of the albums; some of them are nearly perfect, some of them are great, some of them are good, but I feel like a lot of people overhate them.
    Raditude is even worse than Hurley.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Raditude is even worse than Hurley.
    I think it's hard to say, I think Hurley is worse, its production is far worse, easily their worst sounding album right next to Pacific Daydream, but PD has a far better song-writting.

Raditude while having some stinkers (I Can't Stop Partying and Love Is The Answer), has far better songs for the most part, it's just that they are pretty damn stupid lyrically. But are melodically really good at their core, Hurley is easily their most rushed record in term of every aspect imho. Either way I won't pretend like Raditude to Hurley wasn't their worst era.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Worst genre of music is “modern” country. Not sure how in the fuck people actually like this bro-dozer doosh crap. Only reason I’m putting this post in this thread is im not much fonder of older country either. Country, outside of a song here and there, is just one genre I can’t get into. My second worst would be modern hip hop. Not that it’s the end all/be all of this conversation, but Snoop Dogg killed that shit on Saturday night during the Tyson fight, while those other somewhat younger rappers were absolute trash.

Shittiest musical genres, list them...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    We kind of have a thread for that.

But yeah, I find it very hard to cotton to most country music. It's more the voice than the instrumentation, though. I wouldn't mind listening to country instrumental music, as long as it didn't have a fiddle in it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Worst genre of music is “modern” country. Not sure how in the fuck people actually like this bro-dozer doosh crap. Only reason I’m putting this post in this thread is im not much fonder of older country either. Country, outside of a song here and there, is just one genre I can’t get into. My second worst would be modern hip hop. Not that it’s the end all/be all of this conversation, but Snoop Dogg killed that shit on Saturday night during the Tyson fight, while those other somewhat younger rappers were absolute trash.

Hip hop goes through stages. 80s was just pure cheese, with a few visionaries. 90s was the "golden age". Suddenly a serious genre, there wasn't really a formula for it yet, so everyone was doing their own thing. Then in 2000s the bling era started and just about killed all clout the 90s had garnered for the genre. But then there was a bit of a return, with people like Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator, and Kanye West all becoming massively successful while doing dramatically different, experimental things. But then "mumble rap" started taking over, and now we're at a weird place. It seems like there's a stark divide in mainstream hip hop right now.

Half of the artists are mindless SoundCloud style rappers that have no substance or creativity, with their popularity being more about their cult of personality than about any music they produce. The other half are still experimenting, still finding new things, and dragging the genre forward, and they're finding just as much success as the others. For every Lil Yachty there's a Noname. For every 6ix9ine there's a Run the Jewels. For every Migas there's a clipping. And honestly, I don't wanna hear clipping. when I'm in the club. These guys serve their purpose, and they serve it well.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Far Beyond Driven is Pantera's best album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Far Beyond Driven is Pantera's best album.
    Wouldn't say that's controversial. Most people say that or A Vulgar Display of Power.

My personal favorite is The Great Southern Trendkill. Very experimental, aggressive/angry, Floods solo/outro and dark.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wouldn't say that's controversial. Most people say that or A Vulgar Display of Power.

My personal favorite is The Great Southern Trendkill. Very experimental, aggressive/angry, Floods solo/outro and dark.
    Cool. I'm going over their catalog right now--kind of randomly going from their 80's/90's output.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Ska always comes to mind for me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ska always comes to mind for me.
    That was popular with the cool kids back when I was in high school. Was always "meh" about it myself.