Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179
Results 5,341 to 5,347 of 5347

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    ^^^^ all of witch are the best songs off that album, though, my fave song off nevermind is Something in the way. But yeah, those songs are punk as hell. Appitite is not punk in the fucking slightest.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    GNR may have been a street level band for a minute but by the time UYI came around, they were a bloated circus carnival act and were a real life Spinal Tap

Kurt always said his biggest regret was making Nevermind sound so commercial. Thats why In Utero was so raw and abrasive. I think Kurt would have been much happier if Nirvana were successful on Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr indie rock levels. The worst thing that happened to them was becoming the biggest band in the world.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don’t get this idea. There’s songs on Appetite for Destruction that I think are way more ‘punk’ sounding than Nevermind. I think Nirvana may have hit the spot but it was all BULLSHIT way more than GNR. If you want decadence can you get any worse than Nirvana ? All the heroin abuse and hypocrisy of we don’t want to be popular but we’ll go on every late night show and award show and marry Courtney fucking Love with all the publicity bullshit that entails. I mean Axl Rose never spawned a child into that bullshit at least. Just hypocrisy. The entire Seattle scene came across like awful backstabbing shit. I think they would have been found out if he hadn’t killed himself (or whatever happened according to Buzz Osborne) but he killed himself and thus it was Saint Cobain for evermore and not a word can be said against them or you’re speaking ill of the dead
    loads of Punk bands used to play on mainstream television, it's how they got their records heard pre internet, think of Sex Pistols saying Fuck on daytime TV In 1976. a grasping trashy IT girl like Courtney Love getting involved was Kurt's personality disorder not the band.they would have divorced a year or so later anyway. The Seattle scene was really good I thought, i been getting into the really early stuff recently, from 1985-89 Melvins, Green River, Tad, Mother LoveBone, it's not really punk it's very Led Zeppelin esque.
    Kurt was into loads of Scottish indie bands like the Vaselines, Young Marble Giants the Pastles and Teenage Fanclub, aswell as the obvious underground US punk bands of the 1980s.

Alice in Chains were best Seattle band of all time though, Dirt is so hard hitting, I cant think of another music scene where Heroin played such a massive role.it must have been everywhere.

Mentioned
    883 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    I cant think of another music scene where Heroin played such a massive role.it must have been everywhere.
    The New York punk scene in the 70s. Heroin was everywhere.

Read this book, it’s really good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0802125360...E8P9JNMZXB8401
    Last edited by allegro; 05-14-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    GNR may have been a street level band for a minute but by the time UYI came around, they were a bloated circus carnival act and were a real life Spinal Tap

Kurt always said his biggest regret was making Nevermind sound so commercial. Thats why In Utero was so raw and abrasive. I think Kurt would have been much happier if Nirvana were successful on Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr indie rock levels. The worst thing that happened to them was becoming the biggest band in the world.
    I mean, it was bad for THEM. And it might have been what killed Kurt. So, you're 100% right, on the one hand.
    And if that IS what killed Kurt, the exposure, then, there's no argument.
    But, on the other hand, they gave SO many people SO much great music.

As I type that, though...it's a weak argument.

The entire rock landscape would be different, but, yeah.
    Nirvana as a slightly obscure band, who made money and had a small passionate following, and one radio song, PROBABLY would have meant a whole lot more Nirvana records.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Here's another hot one. That's just about the best Nirvana song, right there.

I haven't heard Pod in a LONG time; I'm gonna listen to it again, and Safari.
    True story I hated Tourettes the first time I heard it but its so short I never skipped it every time I'd listen to In Utero and now somedays it's my favorite track on the album.

Pod probably isn't their best album but it's really stripped back in a good way. Plus, I was a Pixies fan before I heard the Breeders and it felt like a whole album in a similar style to Gigantic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    And I heard it playing REALLY loud at a bar in Wrigleyville via a jukebox or something. And some dude jumped onto a table or something and lost his fucking mind ... and I went, holy shit. Holy shit. THIS SONG IS GONNA CHANGE EVERYTHING. Timing is everything.
    To me, nothing has ever captured the feeling of a door being kicked in better than that opening riff.