Page 162 of 191 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 160 161 162 163 164 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,860 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Someone posted this before, some funny shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Kanye West is the only artist who has become so annoying you actually want the major labels to win. Can Kim Kardashian just take his phone away FFS?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Kanye West is the only artist who has become so annoying you actually want the major labels to win. Can Kim Kardashian just take his phone away FFS?
    He peed on his Grammy today... and then got kicked off Twitter for 12 hours apparently, lol.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    He peed on his Grammy today... and then got kicked off Twitter for 12 hours apparently, lol.
    eewww take his phone away someone. I'm so fed up of so many people proclaiming him to be some sort of genius when a lot of his takes and thoughts just come over as completely lacking in any deep thought at all. He has no empathy with anyone else's point of view at all (like his thoughts on abortion or religion being brought into schools) - I'm pretty sure I read an interview with someone from Radiohead who talked with him about religion and it just didn't enter his head at all that some people might not believe in it!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 09-17-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    "come as you are" completely ripped off "eighties" by killing joke, a far better song. once i heard "eighties" for the first time, i could never listen to "come as you are" again because it just made me want to listen to killing joke, instead.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    "come as you are" completely ripped off "eighties" by killing joke, a far better song. once i heard "eighties" for the first time, i could never listen to "come as you are" again because it just made me want to listen to killing joke, instead.

I think CAYA is a better song (better melody, KC was a better singer, better production values), but yeah, it does sound like he borrowed from KJ.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Whoa. I’ve never heard that before. Two totally different songs, but it’s hard to believe that wasn’t intentional. “Come As You Are” was always low on my list of Nirvana favorites, and “Eighties” is now high on my list of Few Killing Joke Songs I’ve Heard.
    killing joke were great when i saw them at riot fest a couple years ago. glad they're still killing it ( ) after all these years.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    He posted the phone number of the guy at Forbes.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-20-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Whoa. I’ve never heard that before. Two totally different songs, but it’s hard to believe that wasn’t intentional. “Come As You Are” was always low on my list of Nirvana favorites, and “Eighties” is now high on my list of Few Killing Joke Songs I’ve Heard.
    They didn't file a copyright infringement lawsuit because of personal and financial reasons but there was some conflict at the time. Just ended up after Cobain's death.

Also:

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    If you like that sound, then you need to check out the rest of that album (Night Time) as well as the one that followed, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    How funny this was brought up because I was listening to the Night Time album at work today.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    They didn't file a copyright infringement lawsuit because of personal and financial reasons but there was some conflict at the time. Just ended up after Cobain's death.

Also:

huh! who knew. wonder how the damned feels about "eighties" then...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I like both bands and songs, but yes "Eighties" is far better than "Come as you are"...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not sure how controversial this is: I really don't like Rammstein.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    A song has to have (not this exact amount, but you get the idea):
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus

Most songs that don't have this format are hard for me to engage in for some reason.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus

Most songs that don't have this format are hard for me to engage in for some reason.
    You haven't found the right music to showcase why you don't always need that formula then. Then again the bands that don't utilize that structure don't always have vocals or lyrics the entire song either.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    This is only controversial on this board, but I do not like industrial music. When I got into NIN as a kid, some of my friends insisted that I needed to listen to "real" industrial music and sent me home with a bunch of burned CD's with Skinny Puppy, Ministry, KMFDM etc on them. Hated every last band they suggested to me.

What I've since realized is that I really like the bands that take some elements of "industrial" music without being fully accepted by the purists of that genre (like NIN, but Swans also comes to mind). But the stuff that everyone seems to think is most faithful to the label never worked for me on any level. I'm not sure what it is, it's not like I'm intimidated by noise; but all of those bands sound cheap and cheesy to me. Can't put my finger on why.

Like I said, only perhaps a controversial opinion on these boards. Hah.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I feel the same way about punk music.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    This is only controversial on this board, but I do not like industrial music. When I got into NIN as a kid, some of my friends insisted that I needed to listen to "real" industrial music and sent me home with a bunch of burned CD's with Skinny Puppy, Ministry, KMFDM etc on them. Hated every last band they suggested to me.

What I've since realized is that I really like the bands that take some elements of "industrial" music without being fully accepted by the purists of that genre (like NIN, but Swans also comes to mind). But the stuff that everyone seems to think is most faithful to the label never worked for me on any level. I'm not sure what it is, it's not like I'm intimidated by noise; but all of those bands sound cheap and cheesy to me. Can't put my finger on why.

When I first got into NIN around 1996 to 1997, I went apeshit looking for other similar music. I went down the Skinny Puppy/Ministry road and, apart from a couple of songs here and there, I didn't like them that much. There was other NIN-esque stuff I was listening to then as well, and none of it really stayed with me. There's something really special and almost undefinable about NIN. It's just satisfying in a very different way to anything else in that general wheelhouse.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus

This is interesting and frustrating for me. How often do you listen to music? When you are listening, do you also perform other activities? From my perspective, it seems as though you enjoy "pop music" (not necessarily Britney Spears and the like but rather "pop" structures in music). You want the music to instantly satisfy your senses with words and melody and to hear something instantaneously memorable which I totally get! I absolutely LOVE a catchy chorus or a momentum building verse. The part that is frustrating for me, just as a fan of all different forms of music, is that you're saying music that doesn't follow this formula doesn't connect with you. Maybe you just haven't found the band or artist to open that door for you? Maybe you don't listen to music as a singular activity and really put all of your attention into what is being played? Which is fine if that's the role music has in your life. For me, it consumes everything. I love having my perceptions blown wide open. I enjoy hearing music that I might not immediately be fond of but has a small seed of something that keeps me coming back. I'm just trying to say that if you are looking for that type of experience then I encourage you to keep trying to find artists or genres that unlock that realm of possibility. Look for suggestions from the musicians you love. Find their inspirations. Check out current bands they've toured with or shout out. Think about the aspects you find appealing with your favorite music and search in that direction. There's a infinite stream of sound out there if you want to find it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I agree with you. Only funny thing is I use to love all those other industrial bands. But now most of them come across extremely cheesy to me too. IMO I think that might be a contributing reason to why NIN got bigger and stayed relevant more than the rest of them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus

I understand where you are coming from. But like others have pointed out... Maybe you just haven’t found that right genre or artist to make you feel otherwise? I think there are some amazing artists that don’t follow such a conventional song structure format. Curious... What do you think of instrumental music or like movie scores? Would you say most of the artists you listen to are more “mainstream” within there genre? Just wondering, not trying to put your tastes down.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus

wow, you'd fucking HATE my music hahaha
    most of my songs are 7-12 minutes long with few (if any) repeating sections

to me, the only TRULY "industrial" music is Throbbing Gristle & Einsturzende Neubauten, and i love both of them. other bands that were inspired by them but incorporated more melody/pop structures/etc. are more "industrial rock" or "electronic industrial," and while there's nothing wrong with that, a lot of it does nothing for me. the only ministry album i like is their first, which is straight-up dark synthpop. i only like one skinny puppy song ("the center bullet"). stabbing westward is probably the only industrial rock band i like, unless you consider NIN industrial rock, which i don't. NIN is like david s. pumpkins - it's owwwwwn thaaaaaang.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    wow, you'd fucking HATE my music hahaha
    most of my songs are 7-12 minutes long with few (if any) repeating sections

to me, the only TRULY "industrial" music is Throbbing Gristle & Einsturzende Neubauten, and i love both of them. other bands that were inspired by them but incorporated more melody/pop structures/etc. are more "industrial rock" or "electronic industrial," and while there's nothing wrong with that, a lot of it does nothing for me. the only ministry album i like is their first, which is straight-up dark synthpop. i only like one skinny puppy song ("the center bullet"). stabbing westward is probably the only industrial rock band i like, unless you consider NIN industrial rock, which i don't. NIN is like david s. pumpkins - it's owwwwwn thaaaaaang.
    Ok, PLEASE explain to me how that second band’s name is pronounced. It breaks my brain to look at it when I see it on this board and elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Ok, PLEASE explain to me how that second band’s name is pronounced. It breaks my brain to look at it when I see it on this board and elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [ˈaɪnˌʃtʏɐtsəndə ˈnɔʏˌbaʊtən]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    [ˈaɪnˌʃtʏɐtsəndə ˈnɔʏˌbaʊtən]
    Einstürzende Neubauten = Collapsing newly constructed buildings

"Ein" is pronounced like I'm, but with n.
    "stür“ is pronounced like in sturdy, but with sh.
    "zen" is pronounced "tsen".
    "de" is "de".

"Neu" is pronounced like in noise.
    "bau" is pronounced like wow, but with b (like Lil' Bow Wow).
    "ten" is pronounced like the number ten.

So: "I'n-shtur-tsen-de Noi-bow-ten" - does that make sense?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    Einstürzende Neubauten = Collapsing newly constructed buildings

"Ein" is pronounced like I'm, but with n.
    "stür“ is pronounced like in sturdy, but with sh.
    "zen" is pronounced "tsen".
    "de" is "de".

"Neu" is pronounced like in noise.
    "bau" is pronounced like wow, but with b (like Lil' Bow Wow).
    "ten" is pronounced like the number ten.

So: "I'n-shtur-tsen-de Noi-bow-ten" - does that make sense?
    That is actually super helpful, thank you!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That is actually super helpful, thank you!
    No problem, it was fun coming up with the similarities.

Note that "de" is short, like in "de la Roja“. Most english speakers tend to make a "dee" out of it at the end of a word.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Daft Punk is so fucking overrated... but I will concede that their live bootlegs are pretty bangin' (better energy than the studio or official live).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Daft Punk is so fucking overrated... but I will concede that their live bootlegs are pretty bangin' (better energy than the studio or official live).
    only thing i've ever liked of theirs is the Tron: Legacy soundtrack (which is getting a new Mondo re-release; it's also remastered)