The Guess Who > The Who

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like this song:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I like this song:
    Me too. It is too ridiculous not to like. It sounds the NIN cover of Get Down Make Love, with the bass line from Bjork's Army of Me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Me too. It is too ridiculous not to like. It sounds the NIN cover of Get Down Make Love, with the bass line from Bjork's Army of Me.
    I haven't heard "My World" in ages until I listened to the remaster the other day. It's pretty jarring and out of left-field, especially after "Don't Cry." I think Izzy even said that he didn't know it was on the album until he received the albums himself. It is a cool song though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't really like punk music. I find it repetitive, not very interesting and childish.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I don't really like punk music. I find it repetitive, not very interesting and childish.
    I don't like it much, either. I do enjoy some stuff that I think of as punk-adjacent, though. Patti Smith, Blondie, Gang of Four, Fugazi, Wire, etc.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you're listening to the wrong stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Unpopular opinion: The Walmart Associate Choir was actually kind of decent, lol.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipevans View Post
    Just came across this topic and couldn’t resist chiming in. Opinions about musicians can be super subjective– what's genius to one person might not be the same for another. Speaking of controversial thoughts, I personally find Nirvana a tad overrated. I mean, grunge is supposed to sound different, right? But I can't deny that Kurt Cobain's become an icon. And then there's Ozzy Osbourne – a legend in his own right. Though he didn't write his songs, but man, his tracks are undeniably awesome. The energy and vibe he brings are just something else.
    Nirvana is probably underrated. "Grunge" isn't really supposed to sound like anything, because it was kinda just a label corporations used to move alternative records in the 90s. Nirvana and Soundgarden were not trying to sound like the same band, at all, and it's why their stuff holds up. They were just doing shit they wanted to do. The label came after the fact.

But Kurt was always saying Nirvana was grounded in punk. I think that holds up when you go back to those records. He also was very open about how he loved to use the Pixies' loud and soft dynamics and crossbreed that with old blues music. And he was a walking pop song and absolutely loved the Beatles. And then you know, Krist and Dave are world class musicians and it just works. I think I actually appreciate what they did more today then I did when I was young. It just fucking rules.

But what's really cool to me are Kurt's old tape recorded demos from back in the 80s before they were known. Dude just had it like few people did. Great song writer and one of the best voices. But to each their own though.

I don't compare Nirvana to other "grunge" acts. Compare it to Hendrix and the Beatles. Because that's how rare I think it was.

And yeah, Sabbath can never get enough love. But it was a whole band, not just Ozzy, that's why they are so awesome. Still the best metal band to me.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Reanimation is Linkin Parks best record. One More Light is almost flawless from start to finish (the only black eye on that album is the HORRIBLE Pusha T and Stormzy verses on Good Goodbye)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    RE: Grunge.

To me the bands that have the "grunge" sound are Nirvana, early Soundgarden, Mudhoney, etc. Alice In Chains were more metal, and Pearl Jam were rooted in classic rock, like CCR/Neil Young.

I think Nirvana are rated about right, not under or over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    RE: Grunge.

To me the bands that have the "grunge" sound are Nirvana, early Soundgarden, Mudhoney, etc. Alice In Chains were more metal, and Pearl Jam were rooted in classic rock, like CCR/Neil Young.

I think Nirvana are rated about right, not under or over.
    For me, Nirvana are both under and over-rated somehow. Their 5 most popular songs are so overplayed and so many people talk about them who have probably never delved into their discog. But there are some awesome songs on their albums I don't hear talked about often, especially off Bleach.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    gotta love it when the spambots fuel up conversations before self destructing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Phil Collins doesn't suck.
    I’ve been digging into a bit of early Genesis lately, and Phil Collins is one hell of a drummer.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I wish I understood the hype on Mitski. Every time she puts an album out people lose their minds over the material, and I always listen to it to get it a fair shot, and it's always just so fucking boring to me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't hate this...

Last edited by mfte; 09-15-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I wish I understood the hype on Mitski. Every time she puts an album out people lose their minds over the material, and I always listen to it to get it a fair shot, and it's always just so fucking boring to me.
    I like how raw and emotional her lyrics are, how she writes melodies like no one I've ever heard, how much variety there is in her instrumentation, and most impressively, I like that she completely switches genres every couple of albums. She could have just kept doing piano, or orchestral pop, or grunge, or synth pop, but she changes it up constantly. Now she puts out a folk album (a pretty weird one, at that) after finding success in all of these other niches. I love musicians who constantly change and keep me guessing on what they're going to do next.

I think it's really neat how one person kind find music so boring and another can finding it so exciting.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    here's one:
    Lenny Kravitz is a good musician.
    great live shows. can play multiple instruments.

hands down, easily the most down to earth musician I've interacted with.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    here's one:

I'm not a superfan but I dig Lenny. Saw him open for the Stones and GN'R. He has tons of great songs/singles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    here's one:

Are You Gonna Go My Way is a bop for sure. I'm not too familiar with his deeper discography though

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    i’ve always loved this song neneh cherry wrote about lenny.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I don't hate this...

His music prowess is better than his acting but it's still awful. His Asianphilia is on display here big time

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm listening to The Strokes Is This It, and the title kind of sums up my thoughts on this band.

It's a good album, but it's not Appetite For Destruction or Nevermind.

The All Music Guide gives it a 5/5, and I just don't get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Strokes are in the same category as Arctic Monkeys for me: not bad, but I don't get the hype at all.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The Strokes were/are darlings of the NYC music establishment. I think they've been hugely overrated since they came out. I saw them open for RHCP a few years ago & was seriously unimpressed which backed up my opinion of their records. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    The Strokes are in the same category as Arctic Monkeys for me: not bad, but I don't get the hype at all.
    Which makes sense, given that the opening lyrics of a song by the arctic monkeys says "I just wanted to be one of The Strokes"...

Personally, I liked the Arctic Monkeys' first few albums, but I never, ever got The Strokes. I don't think it's bad in any way, but yeah, "Is This It" ?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Phil Collins doesn't suck.
    He is an even better drummer then he is a singer and he’s a great singer even in his diminished health. Within his narrowed range he’s still able to carry a tune. It's incredibly sad what happened to him and I think as a result his legacy has perhaps grown a bit. I feel like in the next generation or so there will be more of a critical re-evaluation of his musical contributions, in a way I feel Genesis has done a little of too with their last tour, as well as Gabriel and Hackett putting out records recently. And in Hackett's case has managed to be perhaps have the most abundant career as a solo artist with how many albums (and in fairly different genres, even playing in jazz group Djabe for several records) he has put out.