Page 137 of 191 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't understand the hype around Kendrick Lamer. Granted, I don't really like rap/hip-hop with a few exceptions (Public Enemy, Dre and a few others) but I just don't get what's so amazing about this guy?

Pitchfork said THIS was from the best album of 2017?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Can’t get into Kendrick Lamar either. He seems intelligent enough, but his voice isn’t very distinctive. The music/production does nothing for me. Pretty much gave up on him as I’ve got a hard time finding things to like from Kendrick.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    In their heyday I’d take Alice In Chains over Nirvana. And for my money, Facelift, Dirt, and AIC were a better trio of albums than Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero.
    I wouln't call that very controversial ...a lot of people think that... same with Soundgarden.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    So i know Im gonna piss a lot of people off when i say this but...I dont normally enjoy music pre-1990 's

Yeah, I know...im limiting my musical journey so to say but that's just how I was.

Stuff like Bowie, Prince, Deep Purple, Queen, Rush, Zepplin, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Depeche Mode, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Preist...you get the idea

I just could never get into it, I was born in 96 and the only music I really heard came from my dad, which consisted of Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, STP.....and for some odd reasons, Pattsie Cline and Maddona

I tried to give them all a chance, but because I was born so late, what was called "heavy" back then (not Prince or Bowie mind you) just seems so.......light to me

I still have great respect of them and if it wasn't for a lot of them, I wouldn't have some of my favorite bands like AiC, NiN, Deftones, Soundgarden, MCR or Linkin Park....so I don't Dislike them...they just aren't for me

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Pitchfork said THIS was from the best album of 2017?
    The problem is you listened to Pitchfork

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Humble, in the context of great hip hop from all eras, is not a great example of Kendrick's best work. Has some great lines & a good overall message.

But Humble, in the context of the utter shit that makes up 85% of mainstream hip hop these days, and the fact that, as a commercial single, THAT song was able to break through worldwide and become a monster hit , is what makes it an important footnote in 2017.

While Kendrick is prolly best listened to in longform if you want to be converted (seriously give yourself the time, sit down and listen to To Pimp a Butterfly or Good Kid Maad City in full with the lyrics nearby bc I agree he is hard to follow vocally), here are some random tracks that show why he's the best mainstream rapper out these days:

(skip to 3:03 if you want to get right to when he goes off)

Those are the best songs off Damn imo. Loyalty with Rihanna is a the current big single they're pushing, but there's no lyricism of merit there.

Older quality material:

(love the jazziness here and all over TPaB...and Kendrick's fast flow here is crazy)

Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-19-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    So i know Im gonna piss a lot of people off when i say this but...I dont normally enjoy music pre-1990 's

I just could never get into it, I was born in 96 and the only music I really heard came from my dad, which consisted of Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, STP.....and for some odd reasons, Pattsie Cline and Maddona

I tried to give them all a chance, but because I was born so late, what was called "heavy" back then (not Prince or Bowie mind you) just seems so.......light to me

I still have great respect of them and if it wasn't for a lot of them, I wouldn't have some of my favorite bands like AiC, NiN, Deftones, Soundgarden, MCR or Linkin Park....so I don't Dislike them...they just aren't for me
    Was born in '78 and with the exception of prince and bowie, i agree. Classic rock radio killed zeppelin for me, full stop. No worries from me as you seem to understand their influence. However if this is really a hard line in the sand for you, based on a timeline, 96'? I would recommend getting past cheese ball radio tripe as there is more music than can claim to know that is absolutely stellar throughout time.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    edit: wrong thread

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Was born in '78 and with the exception of prince and bowie, i agree. Classic rock radio killed zeppelin for me, full stop. No worries from me as you seem to understand their influence. However if this is really a hard line in the sand for you, based on a timeline, 96'? I would recommend getting past cheese ball radio tripe as there is more music than can claim to know that is absolutely stellar throughout time.

Funny thing is I dont listen to radio, I usually get new music from other people

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Zeppelin can never be overplayed. It's like watching Cheers in re-runs. It will never get old. Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Priest, KISS, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Montrose, man the 70's was fuckin' awesome.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-21-2017 at 03:22 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Zeppelin can never be overplayed. It's like watching Cheers in re-runs. It will never get old. Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Priest, KISS, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Montrose, man the 70's was fuckin' awesome.
    I like and love some of that music but a guy at work with his radio killed it as does most radio channels. I could care less if I hear another LZ, AC/DC or Aerosmith song again. They also play the same 4 Queen songs over and over. They have more than Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions, Fat Bottomed Girls and Another One Bites The Dust.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I like and love some of that music but a guy at work with his radio killed it as does most radio channels. I could care less if I hear another LZ, AC/DC or Aerosmith song again. They also play the same 4 Queen songs over and over. They have more than Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions, Fat Bottomed Girls and Another One Bites The Dust.
    ZLX in Boston plays the same 3-4 Doors, Zeppelin, Queen, etc. songs on a loop. I think they play every song from Boston's first album daily.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-21-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Gods.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm a casual fan at best, but "fuckin' perfect" by pink (er, p!nk) is one of the greatest songs ever written.
    Last edited by kel; 12-28-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ZLX in Boston plays the same 3-4 Doors, Zeppelin, Queen, etc. songs on a loop. I think they play every song from Boston's first album daily.
    97.9 the loop, same exact thing in chicago just drop the doors and add pink floyd to the list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ozzy, both solo and with Black Sabbath, sucks a bag of dicks. He sounds like Baby Sinclair from Dinosaurs. Back in Black was Brian Johnson’s only good AC/DC album. He sounds like Elmo on the rest of them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not sure where to post this, but Glenn Hughes should be way more famous than he is.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Not sure where to post this, but Glenn Hughes should be way more famous than he is.
    I don't think that's controversial at all. In fact, he should be more famous.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I don't think that's controversial at all. In fact, he should be more famous.
    Dude is an awesome singer/musician/writer:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He's very talented, but comes off like a major prima donna in interviews, and even in his performance. Then again that could apply to a lot of people we love just as dearly too for their talents. He made a rather rude and off-hand remark about Gary Moore not that long after his death which soured me on his character.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    He's very talented, but comes off like a major prima donna in interviews, and even in his performance. Then again that could apply to a lot of people we love just as dearly too for their talents. He made a rather rude and off-hand remark about Gary Moore not that long after his death which soured me on his character.
    Really? In the interviews I've seen (and I've seen only a handful) he seemed like a nice guy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wish I could remember what he said or what specific interview it was but I know it was for Classic Rock magazine, 5 or maybe 6 years ago. He talked a bit about his friendship with David Bowie, during his "Thin White Duke" period, lamenting a bit that after Bowie got clean he was out of his life and social circle.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm sure this will rile up some music purists, especially those who are fond of the 80s. I believe that Men at Work is a way better band than.... the Police. They just had better songs.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I'm sure this will rile up some music purists, especially those who are fond of the 80s. I believe that Men at Work is a way better band than.... the Police. They just had better songs.
    The Police are terrible. Sting is even more cringeworthy. Bad 80's pop rock.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    sting is a pretentious twat.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    I can totally agree with that. Plus, he's not that funny.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Sting is/was supposed to be funny? Like how, a clown, here to amuse you?...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Sting is/was supposed to be funny? Like how, a clown, here to amuse you?...
    Well, he's made a few appearances in SNL and well.... he wasn't very funny. He kinda tries too hard.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    I like The Police and a lot of his solo stuff, but yeah, he's a twat

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I like The Police and a lot of his solo stuff, but yeah, he's a twat
    I call him Snooze.