Page 22 of 191 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Each to his/her own, but to me this sounds like derivative 80s butt rock... and just because that's what they were going for doesn't redeem it for me.
    It doesn't redeem it for you because you're taking it too seriously. It was done, for fun, for a videogame where the band supplied the track for a fictional 80's group. I'd understand your criticism if it was a track that they'd released as a single, but in this regard, I think you're taking it too seriously.

If we're discussing this group in the sense that they're "bringing back rock n roll," it just leaves me a bit confounded. From my perspective, rock music was saved from this kind of stuff.
    I did not imply that they were bringing back Rock n Roll, however, I do think they are a sweet rock group if you actually go and listen to their albums.

I guess hearing someone sing melodramatic stuff about elder gods in between wanktastic guitar solos is better than Nickelback riffing about how they want to shut bitches up with their dicks, but it's not doing it for me.
    You are taking this track too seriously. It's not an actual fair representation of their work because it isn't like their other work. I just posted the track because I thought it was a fun track, especially to sing a long to.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm confused. So... when you called the track "epic" you were being sarcastic?

My opinion on this band's music is based also on the other video (where the poster said that this band was "bringing back rock n roll"). Admittedly, these are the only two songs I've heard by them, but I don't think I'm "taking it too seriously" when I'm explaining what it sounds like to me and why I do not like it.

If actually explaining my opinion means I'm "taking it to seriously," maybe I should have just posted this:

They suck.
    [/controversial opinion]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm confused. So... when you called the track "epic" you were being sarcastic?

My opinion on this band's music is based also on the other video (where the poster said that this band was "bringing back rock n roll"). Admittedly, these are the only two songs I've heard by them, but I don't think I'm "taking it too seriously" when I'm explaining what it sounds like to me and why I do not like it.

If actually explaining my opinion means I'm "taking it to seriously, maybe I should have just posted this:

They suck

[/controversial opinion]
    By epic I mean't "Highly Enjoyable."

And Jinsai, this is exactly why I cannot have musical discussions with you. It seems like always you just want to argue, not actually discuss.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Was there one guitar scene last decade that honestly felt like it was pushing music forward? almost every indie guitar group in the 00s felt painfully retro, White Stripes, Strokes, Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, even the ones i liked such as Deerhunter, Autolux, they sounded like they could have been around in 1991.
    Rock music always harks back to the past, Soundgarden in the 1990s could have been from same period as the Grateful Dead, or Led Zeppelin, Oasis could have been around in the 1960s with The Who, Jesus and Mary Chain could have been from the same scene as The Velvet Underground.
    But last decade it felt like it was going too far, there were no new ideas and was all really stalling.
    Rock music does not seem to be moving forward in any form.
    I think the area where there is still a little hope is in the Metal, Drone, Noise sphere you still hear good sounds there, but none of it is earth shatteringly ground breaking.

Still love some new guitar music but its very few and far between.
    All the best music nowadays has a strong electronic influence in it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    By epic I mean't "Highly Enjoyable."
    And all I did was explain why I did not find it "highly enjoyable."

And Jinsai, this is exactly why I cannot have musical discussions with you. It seems like always you just want to argue, not actually discuss.
    Look, I don't like the band and I explained why I do not like the band. It's an opinion; take it or leave it. You're (ironically) taking this too seriously. Also, this thread is called "controversial music opinions." You might expect people in this thread to argue a contrary opinion.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-05-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    And all I did was explain why I did not find it "highly enjoyable.
    My criticism towards your criticism was because I thought you only based your criticism off the video I posted, not the other one. You didn't make it clear until your post before last.

Look, I don't like the band and I explained why I do not like the band. You're taking this too seriously.
    You explained, but as I said above, you made it seem like you were basing your criticism off the one I posted. I'm not taking it too seriously, I just think you come off as hostile sometimes, whether you mean it or not.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Was there one guitar scene last decade that honestly felt like it was pushing music forward? almost every indie guitar group in the 00s felt painfully retro, White Stripes, Strokes, Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, even the ones i liked such as Deerhunter, Autolux, they sounded like they could have been around in 1991.
    Rock music always harks back to the past, Soundgarden in the 1990s could have been from same period as the Grateful Dead, or Led Zeppelin, Oasis could have been around in the 1960s with The Who, Jesus and Mary Chain could have been from the same scene as The Velvet Underground.
    But last decade it felt like it was going too far, there were no new ideas and was all really stalling.
    Rock music does not seem to be moving forward in any form.
    I think the area where there is still a little hope is in the Metal, Drone, Noise sphere you still hear good sounds there, but none of it is earth shatteringly ground breaking.

Still love some new guitar music but its very few and far between.
    All the best music nowadays has a strong electronic influence in it.
    I agree with some of what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to call The Jesus and Mary Chain interchangeable with The Velvet Underground. They were actually a really diverse band. I've been listening to Honey's Dead a lot lately, and that album is awesome (and really nothing like Velvet Underground imo). Actually, while The Velvet Underground is probably a pretty obvious influence for them, I'd say the majority of Jesus and Mary Chain stuff is pretty dissimilar in mood and approach. The strongest commonality that would occur to me would be the stripped down lo-fi/raw sound of some of their recordings.

On the point regarding newerish bands that are doing nifty stuff with guitars... Worth mentioning that the Primal Scream albums Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR, and Evil Heat were doing some really original and interesting stuff with guitar "rock." It's too bad they strayed away from that.

Would Mr Bungle's California count towards the 00s?

And I would say there's some indie rock groups pulling out some new ideas with guitar based music. Try checking out The X-Ray Press album UVB-76. That came out last year, and I think it's pretty amazing. I was also really impressed and surprised by the new Mars Volta album.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'm not taking it too seriously, I just think you come off as hostile sometimes, whether you mean it or not.
    I have just read through everything I've said in regards to this band, and I'm not finding this hostility. Could you point it out to me? If expressing a negative opinion is "hostile," then I would think most of the opinions offered in the "controversial music opinions" thread could be construed as being hostile.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-05-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I agree with some of what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to call The Jesus and Mary Chain interchangeable with The Velvet Underground. They were actually a really diverse band. I've been listening to Honey's Dead a lot lately, and that album is awesome (and really nothing like Velvet Underground imo). Actually, while The Velvet Underground is probably a pretty obvious influence for them, I'd say the majority of Jesus and Mary Chain stuff is pretty dissimilar in mood and approach. The strongest commonality that would occur to me would be the stripped down lo-fi/raw sound of some of their recordings. Actually, while The Velvet Underground is probably a pretty obvious influence for them, I'd say the majority of Jesus and Mary Chain stuff is pretty dissimilar in mood and approach. The strongest commonality that would occur to me would be the stripped down lo-fi/raw sound of some of their recordings.
    The early Mary Chain blew everyone away, to my ears them circa 1985 sounds like a combination of the Beach Boys, The Velvet Underground but with a Punk Influence too with The Ramones, early Cabaret Voltaire added in to the mix, when they hit they were huge and they came at a time in the 1980s when Indie bands were fascinated and strongly influenced by bands from the 1960s.
    In the same way many bands recently have been obsessed with the 1980s
    Groups like Spacemen 3, Smiths, early Stone Roses, Telescopes, and the Creation bands were totally obsessed with Love, 13th Floor Elevators, Pink Floyd feat Syd Barrett even early Primal Scream were extremely retro in their approach their early material is them trying desperately to sound like The Byrds.
    Mary Chain were obviously influenced by the distortion heard on White Light,White Heat, Heard Her Call my Name etc, the cool as fuck leather atire and image Lou Reed flaunted and all that, there are a few gentle Mary Chain tracks which sound extremely influenced by Loaded ,obviously them being 20 years later it sounds different, Honeys Dead was a different era in 92, totally different music scene by that point, that even has some dance beats on it, but at that time in the 80s many were all nostalgic over the 60s and were discovering the VU so i always have associated them with that retro scene somewhat.

On the point regarding newerish bands that are doing nifty stuff with guitars... Worth mentioning that the Primal Scream albums Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR, and Evil Heat were doing some really original and interesting stuff with guitar "rock." It's too bad they strayed away from that.
    Primal Scream's Xtrmntr and Vanishing Point even them whilst being near masterpiece albums are heavily influenced by the 70's dub and Post punk scenes Shoot Speed Kill Light, Accelerator sound like (again) Cabaret Voltaire in 1979, Primal Scream and those records are a huge influence on many bands just starting out now, they are the most Bipolar of bands ever and go from being fucking awesome and one of the best bands on the planet to pantomime and utterly ridiculous like no one else.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I never bothered with LedZep, DefLep, Ozzy or whatever. All i was saying is rock isn't exactly on life support these days. Funnily enough, i never quite enjoyed that "Elder gods" song from Alan Wake game, and the song i posted was just an example of great stage performance rather than deep meaningful music (which is to be found thoughout their albums as whole rather than singles).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Primal Scream's Xtrmntr and Vanishing Point even them whilst being near masterpiece albums are heavily influenced by the 70's dub and Post punk scenes Shoot Speed Kill Light, Accelerator sound like (again) Cabaret Voltaire in 1979, Primal Scream and those records are a huge influence on many bands just starting out now, they are the most Bipolar of bands ever and go from being fucking awesome and one of the best bands on the planet to pantomime and utterly ridiculous like no one else.
    Don't hear much Cabs in "Shoot Speed" or "Accelerator" myself. Kevin Shields' influence shines right through though. "Insect Royalty" is probably more Cabaret Voltaire inspired, though I think that influence is a lot more apparent on Evil Heat (which rounds out the Holy Primal Scream Trinity as far as I'm concerned).

And yeah, being a Scream fan is the weirdest experience ever. They've released some of the most innovative albums of the past couple of decades, but you wouldn't know it listening to the weakest 50% of their output. And I still haven't properly decided if Beautiful Future counts among their best or worst albums...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Led Zeppelin do not belong in the same breath as Def Leppard or Ozzy. Yes, they're all hard rock, but LZ is in an entirely different class for talent, creativity, experimentation, technical ability.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post

And yeah, being a Scream fan is the weirdest experience ever. They've released some of the most innovative albums of the past couple of decades, but you wouldn't know it listening to the weakest 50% of their output. And I still haven't properly decided if Beautiful Future counts among their best or worst albums...
    Well, I don't like Beautiful Future, but it's not the worst thing they've done. No way does it come close to xtrmntr or evil heat though.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    were you there when they broke? and by that, i mean, were you old enough to notice the big change in the musical landscape once nirvana blew up? they DID change everything at the time, for better or for worse. that band pretty much carved the sound of the first half of the 90s.

not saying you have to like them, but that second part is baffling
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 09-06-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Hardly a controversial opinion, but it doesn't get said enough: rock music is pretty dead right now.
    Indie, metal, pop, electronica: all doing great. Hip-hop is healthier than ever.
    Rock music: nothing much at all. In one corner I see Nickelback and their ugly ilk shifting millions. In the other corner I see dinosaurs from the 70s/80s/90s chasing that seemingly endless comeback. Emo has become an embarassment. Even the White Stripes split up. I've been listening to rock music for 20 years and I've never seen the landscape so barren...
    I mention these guys too much and are not exactly mainstream famous, but Katatonia hardly count as metal these days as much as they do rock. They're not really tied to any scene, but their music in the past few years has (arguably) been the best output of their careers and has gotten more exposure now than it has at any other time in their past.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The XX is boring and redundant and obnoxious and so ridiculously "trendy" it makes me want to puke.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    despite my love for 80s jangle, shoegaze/dreampop, and stuff like the replacements, i could never ever get into dinosaur jr... something about his voice just kills me. if anyone here's a fan and can point to one track that is irrefutably awesome, i'll give it a whirl.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I really liked the Dresden Dolls, but I just don't get the ceaseless adulation for Amanda Palmer. Excuse me, I meant Amanda FUCKING Palmer. Also, don't be an asshole and pay professional musicians.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    The XX is boring and redundant and obnoxious and so ridiculously "trendy" it makes me want to puke.
    Quoted for immense truth. Every damn song has been mediocre at best.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    RE: DRESDEN DOLLS

on top of the fact that i have lost immense respect for them and their handling of some projects ive been involved with... i dont give two craps about them at this point... and lets be honest, little drummer boy is the one who made that band. shes worthless without him.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Quoted for immense truth. Every damn song has been mediocre at best.

The jaw clenching while singing drives me bonkers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe controversial, maybe not: part of the fun of listening to Nine Inch Nails comes from the extreme silliness of the lyrics. Trent's songs, at their best, are these lavishly-produced miniature symphonies that exist to state "I feel EVEN WORSE than I did the last time you heard from me!!!"

Irony!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Maybe now. But back then it was Trent Reznor understands my PAIN, man.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Trent has a seriously underrated absolutely epic voice, i always thought it sounded slightly whiskey soaked. Even back in 89. The lyrics have never interested me in the slightest or caught my attention, never listened to NIN because needed identification through words. Most of them are just badly written peans to woe and misery.
    Its the noise he created that was the powerful thing.
    You cannot argue with a track like Burn.
    He is no Morrissey.

Genius musician and brilliant engineering skills plus awesome epic voice is all you need, most of my favourite artists have shit lyrics.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah, the main allure of NIN to me has always been the actual music (as is the case with every artist I like). I mean, I'm not going to deny that I thought the sheer poetry of "Somewhat Damaged" truly spoke to me as an angsty teen, but in reality it was the angry guitars, pounding drums and Trent's vocal performance that made the song.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    !!! is the only band that makes me want to dance my ass off. aka CHK CHK CHK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    I really liked the Dresden Dolls, but I just don't get the ceaseless adulation for Amanda Palmer. Excuse me, I meant Amanda FUCKING Palmer. Also, don't be an asshole and pay professional musicians.
    Ceaseless adulation for Amanda Palmer is due to the fact that she's talented and intelligent, passionate about her art, very connected to the fans who have made her what she is, and has over the years been slowly metamorphosing into a larger-than-life rock star. People gravitate towards this sort of personality. It's why we love Kanye West so much, no matter what ridiculous thing he's doing this week. People like this live as if they are a headline, and then they become one. We love to hate them, and hate that we love them. We want them to be more down to earth but are fascinated by their lives when compared to the mundanities of our own. Amanda is outspoken, unapologetic, brash, and lives completely in public - and people love it. Now at some point, you may (reasonably) feel like you're tired of hearing "1,001 Stories About My Fabulous Life, by AFP" - yes, her blog is all about herself, and her philosophy on how to be a self-made musician in the modern world. But I would say humility is not something you should expect from her, or others of her ilk. (Though, as a reader of her blog, I do find her to be probably as humble and grateful as is possible for a person in her position to be.)

Okay, I'm off my soapbox. I've loved Amanda since I first heard the Dolls back in '05. I sometimes find myself reminiscing of the days before anyone really knew about her, but hey, it's her big, loud life to live however she wants to live it, and we can't put some bridle of false modesty on her.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Ceaseless adulation for Amanda Palmer is due to the fact that she's talented and intelligent, passionate about her art, very connected to the fans who have made her what she is, and has over the years been slowly metamorphosing into a larger-than-life rock star. People gravitate towards this sort of personality. It's why we love Kanye West so much, no matter what ridiculous thing he's doing this week. People like this live as if they are a headline, and then they become one. We love to hate them, and hate that we love them. We want them to be more down to earth but are fascinated by their lives when compared to the mundanities of our own. Amanda is outspoken, unapologetic, brash, and lives completely in public - and people love it. Now at some point, you may (reasonably) feel like you're tired of hearing "1,001 Stories About My Fabulous Life, by AFP" - yes, her blog is all about herself, and her philosophy on how to be a self-made musician in the modern world. But I would say humility is not something you should expect from her, or others of her ilk. (Though, as a reader of her blog, I do find her to be probably as humble and grateful as is possible for a person in her position to be.)

Okay, I'm off my soapbox. I've loved Amanda since I first heard the Dolls back in '05. I sometimes find myself reminiscing of the days before anyone really knew about her, but hey, it's her big, loud life to live however she wants to live it, and we can't put some bridle of false modesty on her.
    Hmm i went to see her and all i saw was a crap load of smelly dirty hipsters with no sense of personal hygiene rushing the stage to be closer to her. if thats the kind of people who love her "personality and larger than life persona" then count me out of that group. I like to take a shower at least once a day. And I dont think assholes are cool.

I could keep going.. but why...?

also Fuck Kanye west.
    Last edited by DVYDRNS; 09-13-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: I needed to be more of an asshole.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Never understood the appeal of the Dresden Dolls to begin with and I thought they were honestly one of the worst support acts I'd ever seen. I don't give a shit about Amanda Palmer and while it's goofy what she's doing, I think people are overreacting a bit, but shit is hilarious!

Also if I'm talking about bat NIN support acts, I've never liked Saul Williams and never understood why everyone here on ETS gives him a handjob.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    smelly dirty hipsters
    Says the !!! fan.

[ten characters limit the effectiveness of a quick burn]