Page 143 of 191 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 145 153 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,290 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok so this isn't about MY controversial music opinion; rather, controversial music opinions being flung all over the hip hop world.
    There is a frightening trend of these young sound cloud rappers dissing Tupac. And a lot of these kids are fucking TERRIBLE. Lil Xan is one. But the one who took it a step too far is 03 Greedo. When asked about Tupac, he sent shockwaves around the hip hop world by calling him a bitch ass nigga. " Now I understand that some of these kids might not like boom bap, just, period, and might not really be aware of some of it. I guess it's kind of like punk rockers disparaging led zep and pink floyd. But jesus, saying that Pac is a PUNK is kind of unbelievable.
    I mean, jesus. Dude was shot five times, he was born in a fucking prison, his family was Black Panthers and, I mean, he's fucking Tupac. Oh, and he's DEAD. I bet these kids wouldn't say shit about Hova or Nas. They DAMN sure wouldn't say that shit about Pac if he was alive to defend himself unless they wanted beef where they might actually get shot at.
    On the other hand, it's a brilliant marketing move. I'd never heard of 03 Greedo before this, and now I've listened to several of his songs and here I am telling you guys about him.
    What do you guys think about this? I know a lot of NIN fans are hip hoppers. About half the music I've listened to in my day has been hip hop and I still stay pretty plugged in to the culture. And what's happening to it is kind of concerning to me. @bobbie solo , what do you think of this? @mfte ? @Krazy ? @imail742 ? @RhettButler ?
    I'd REALLY like to get the opinion of some younger people. I wonder what people under thirty think of this.
    Young people these days I tell ya.

I remember when Odd Future first came out and they were being compared to Wu Tang and Tyler would go off how WuTang are old ass fuck, they're not like them, and this and that. How you can say something bad about the Clan is seriously beyond me. To be compared out of the gate to a crew of some of the best rappers EVER and then say "fuck all that" is asinine. On one hand I think that young rappers making these comments about my rap heroes are punks that should study their history and have some respect. On the other hand hiphop has always been a very competitive and braggadocios sport. So I get where a young rapper being a few generations removed from the Tupacs and the Biggies might find it easy to talk shit in order to try and set them selves apart from what came before them. Im pretty sure Lil Xan has been more influenced by the sound of his microwave heating up his pizza pocket than any historically relevant rapper.

DJ Vlad is kind of a tool but her gets good guest. I remember Inspectah Deck talking about the Odd Future situation a while back and how they approached Tyler about it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Im pretty sure Lil Xan has been more influenced by the sound of his microwave heating up his pizza pocket than any historically relevant rapper.
    hahaha this makes my fucking day.
    fucking Lil' Xan. He calls himself Lil' Xan because he was on xanax for 2 years. and now he has tattoos on his face about it.

i'm not exactly proud of this, but i have a feeling that if this kid tried to keep up with ME in terms of drugs and alcohol (especially in my 20's), he would be DEAD.
    And i don't have any tattoos about it at all, much less on my FACE.

Point being that this kid is a fucking POSEUR.

I forgive Hov for rapping about when he used to sell crack rocks, but at least he used to SELL CRACK ROCKS and shoot guns and shit. That's different from taking quad bars for 2 years. I ate all the quad bars i could find, as well as pretty much any other drug you can imagine, for TEN years. and that wasn't even the rough part, hahaha. the rough part was the liquor.
    Maybe i should start a band where i sing about THAT shit?
    I'm sure some of you will see this as disgusting bragging, but i'm not trying to brag. the point is that taking fucking xanax for two years, is a wack ass thing on which to base your whole image. in fact, i find it OFFENSIVE in a way, because of the struggles that i went through.

Obviously i'm not Lil Xan's target audience. I guess if you're thirteen, then being on xanax seems pretty hardcore.

I have a lot more respect for Lil' Peep. He was rolling like i used to and fucking sang about how he was gonna die from it and people thought he was kidding. But he wasn't, and he DID die from it. i'm not saying that this is a GOOD thing, but at least he was fucking authentic and his emo drug bullshit was serious.

Ok, rant over.

So here's something else i've been wondering about. How many of you guys are aware of/dig Gho$temane?
    He is by far my favorite rapper of this NEW new generation (the soundcloud generation.) It's kind of like Bone Thugs by way of Crowley, with a hardcore/metal twist.
    Dude is white, with long hair, and he admittedly just got into hip hop. He produces most of his own music and the drum kits and guitars are samples of him playing.

his voice is kind of nasaly, but if you can get past that and appreciate hip hop and, hahaha, EVIL, you might dig it.

I would imagine that my love for Gho$temane is a controversial music opinion.

"it's eleven degrees and i can see my breath so i'm sure i'm breathing/but i got no pulse and i swear to Thelema that my heart ain't beating"
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-16-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The Disturbed cover of “The Sound of Silence” is light years ahead of Johnny Cash’s cover of “Hurt.”

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    The Disturbed cover of “The Sound of Silence” is light years ahead of Johnny Cash’s cover of “Hurt.”

It's a good cover ill give you that. But that hurt cover hurts.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I feel like I'm the only one who really didn't like that cover.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    It's a good cover ill give you that. But that hurt cover hurts.
    wait, seriously?

man i fucking love that song, and trent's cover of it is great.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    wait, seriously?

man i fucking love that song, and trent's cover of it is great.
    Yes.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    No disrespect (even though Reznor said it himself) but I never could stand when people said Cash’s Hurt was better, more emotional and “his song now” when it comes up.

It’s good don’t get me wrong but doesn’t transcend the conclusion of The Downward Spiral.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Personal opinion: Cash’s Hurt, the song, is terrible. The video however is incredibly powerful. For me it depends on if you see it l or hear it.

I can’t say that about many videos.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    No disrespect (even though Reznor said it himself) but I never could stand when people said Cash’s Hurt was better, more emotional and “his song now” when it comes up.

It’s good don’t get me wrong but doesn’t transcend the conclusion of The Downward Spiral.
    I feel the same. No one ever talk about the original. Its always Cash's version...never the originals. It pisses me off.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Y'all people shittin' on Johnny Cash make my soul weep.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I feel like I'm the only one who really didn't like that cover.
    Fuck Disturbed. Droppin' plates!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I don't have a problem with cash. But cash unintentionally made the original pretty much obsolete

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Personal opinion: Cash’s Hurt, the song, is terrible. The video however is incredibly powerful. For me it depends on if you see it l or hear it.

I can’t say that about many videos.
    see i don't think it's TERRIBLE, but it isn't mind blowing either.

but paired with the video, it becomes something else altogether. that video is fucking heart wrenching.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like with William DuVall-era of AIC as much as the Layne Staley-era.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I'm just being honest. I first heard Metallica when I was 16 and I found them too serious. They were the hardest band for me to get into. They weren't fun like Kiss and Van Halen. A lot of Metallica's songs have some really heavy themes. I used to think their lyricists were depressed or bipolar.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I don't have a problem with cash. But cash unintentionally made the original pretty much obsolete
    I don't feel that way about "Hurt", i love both NIN's and Cash versions, but i do feel that way about his cover for "Personal Jesus", to me Cash IMPROVED so much that song and this is coming from someone who loves Depeche Mode.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I like with William DuVall-era of AIC as much as the Layne Staley-era.
    Thank you. There is nothing wrong with Will and he does a fine job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I don't feel that way about "Hurt", i love both NIN's and Cash versions, but i do feel that way about his cover for "Personal Jesus", to me Cash IMPROVED so much that song and this is coming from someone who loves Depeche Mode.

I find his take on Personal Jesus too "Cash by the numbers", to be honest. I just like it, nothing more. I even prefer the acoustic version DM themselves recorded as a b-side.

Hurt is much more interesting, and I really like it, but nevertheless count me among those who are fed up with all this "he owns the song now" nonsense. Each to his own, but I find that view almost insulting.
    Last edited by Shunt; 04-20-2018 at 05:00 AM. Reason: clarity

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    they often try way too hard and sometimes it's complexity just for the sake of complexity, but i think the guys in fall out boy write decent lyrics.

also "sugar, we're going down" is still a lot of fun to sing along to in the car.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I'm just being honest. I first heard Metallica when I was 16 and I found them too serious. They were the hardest band for me to get into. They weren't fun like Kiss and Van Halen. A lot of Metallica's songs have some really heavy themes. I used to think their lyricists were depressed or bipolar.
    Fair enough, and can respect the opinion. However I do have to ask how you got into NIN if you found Metallica’s lyrics on the darker side of writing?...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    they often try way too hard and sometimes it's complexity just for the sake of complexity, but i think the guys in fall out boy write decent lyrics.

also "sugar, we're going down" is still a lot of fun to sing along to in the car.
    Fall Out Boy are a great band, very underrated, but I haven't really listened to their last releases.

More broadly early 00s emo style seems really cringey to me at the moment, and I feel that I don't want to revisit those bands right now. I don't think the style has aged well, all that smug irony and misogyny is not a good look these days.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 04-19-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhettbutler View Post
    i like with william duvall-era of aic as much as the layne staley-era.
    blasphemous!!!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    I find his take on Personal Jesus too "Cash by the numbers", to be honest. I just like it, nothing more. I even prefer the acoustic version DM themselves recorded as a b-side.

Hurt is much more interesting, and I really like it, but nevertheless count me among those who are fed up with all this "he owns the song now" nonsense. Each to his own, but I find that view almost insulting.
    I agree it's "Cash by the numbers", that's why i like it, for some reason his voice works so much better with the song, i know DM already did the "acoustic approach", but Cash one feels better with the "bluesy approach"; it's just a matter of taste.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Fall Out Boy are a great band, very underrated, but I haven't really listened to their last releases.

More broadly early 00s emo style seems really cringey to me at the moment, and I feel that I don't want to revisit those bands right now. I don't think the style has aged well, all that smug irony and misogyny is not a good look these days.
    i presume you mean critically overrated because they’re quite popular. I got stuck watching them at Reading festival when that save rock n roll album came out and they sucked so bad live, their performance was dull and the music wasn’t even catchy, it was shambolic and surely pop music is not supposed to be that. You come over like you’re trying to be contrarian more than anything

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    you should know me better than that by now
    Fall Out Boy are awesome; once they broke free of their emo confines, they got down a couple of albums with some great classic songwriting, experimented with soul and disco, whilst retaining their edge. Patrick Stump is a great singer, and Pete Wentz a witty lyricist. I've seen them live and yeah it wasn't particularly impressive
    this is probably my fave FOB song:

this one's also good:

and this is a riot:

this one has a stomping 80s swagger:

granted they are often cheesy and I can see why they're hateable - I used to hate them too before I got into them - but I think their talent is undeniable

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've never cared for Orianthi. She's a sloppy guitarist and a weak vocalist. Either she's wearing a wig or some really bad hair extensions. Nita Strauss is a hundred times better than her.

Richie Sambora was fired from Bon Jovi because of his drug and alcohol use. I read somewhere that he showed up drunk to a RSO concert in Australia.
    He and Orianthi started their show ridiculously late and they pissed off the whole crowd. I thought only Rihanna and Justin Bieber did that. Some people have no respect for their fans.
    Last edited by Boots; 05-01-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm just not that into the Beastie Boys.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Not even the punk or funk stuff? I know you're not into hip hop, but the other directions they went into is still really good too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Neither am I. Never will I ever say they're not great or disregard what they've done for music, but other than a few select songs I'm not really a massive fan.