Page 49 of 191 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 149 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Here's a controversial opinion: 95% of The Smashing Pumpkins outtakes and demos from Pisces Iscariot, Judas O, Aeroplane boxset, and bonus CDs from recent re-releases are boring or just plain bad. There are some good tracks, of course, which can fill a single CD, but overall there's too much filler.
    Machina II, on the other hand, has the best non-album stuff. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was originally planned as a proper album release.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Idk if this is really controversial or what but I think that Soundgarden is seriously underrated. They, along with NIN, duke it out for my favorite band position throughout the years. I think that they were a bit overlooked during the whole Seattle scene era (did you noticed that I didn't say grunge?) although they were the ones that helped create that era. Kim Thayil is one of the greatest guitar players ever.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think Soundgarden are overrated (here we go again with the 'rated'). I think their only moment of greatness is Superunknown. It is, I will admit it, an amazing record. Down on the Upside was great in places, overly downbeat and humble in others: they'd forsaken or lost something by that point. Louder than Love and Badmotorfinger I think are just pretty awful: big dumb loud Led Zep metal with lots of shrieking and testosterone and delusions of grandeur: the video for Rusty Cage is a joke, and the song itself pretty silly.
    The new album: I barely get through the first two songs.

Meat Puppets, Screaming Trees, Melvins, even Mudhoney: those are some underrated bands.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    big dumb loud Led Zep metal with lots of shrieking and testosterone and delusions of grandeur
    You make it sound like Soundgarden are Wolfmother or something. They're a lot better than Wolfmother.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I think Soundgarden are overrated (here we go again with the 'rated'). I think their only moment of greatness is Superunknown. It is, I will admit it, an amazing record. Down on the Upside was great in places, overly downbeat and humble in others: they'd forsaken or lost something by that point. Louder than Love and Badmotorfinger I think are just pretty awful: big dumb loud Led Zep metal with lots of shrieking and testosterone and delusions of grandeur: the video for Rusty Cage is a joke, and the song itself pretty silly.
    The new album: I barely get through the first two songs.
    I liked a lot of the new album, which is more than I could say for Down on the Upside. But I agree about the other albums (well, except for the Rusty Cage remark).

Overrated, though? Nah. And I still thinks it's the best band name ever.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Oh, you guys. Soundgarden is so amazing. Chris has that voice. After all these years, he can still wail. I don't think anyone can rival his voice except for Jeff Buckley.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    You make it sound like Soundgarden are Wolfmother or something. They're a lot better than Wolfmother.
    Wolfmother's career pinnacle:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thought of that as well. I think of this from time to time, it always cracks me up.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Loved King Animal, a "grower" for sure.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn>The Dark Side of the Moon.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I hate Vampire Weekend. What a boring band, just dreadfully dull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a shame. I know they're one of those bands you're "supposed to" like if you kowtow to the music blogs, but when you strip away the hype they still make really smart and catchy pop songs.

I don't know if this is controversial or not, but Arcade Fire are boring as hell to me. I like some songs here and there, The Suburbs wasn't bad, and I liked Funeral all right, but I don't get the near-religious fervor.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like Arcade Fire and their new CD is next on my list, but I don't worship them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I hate Vampire Weekend. What a boring band, just dreadfully dull.
    You know something. I agree with you on that. I never really understood the hype about them. I gave their records a listen and I ended feeling bored by them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I like what I've heard from the new Arcade Fire album so far. But they never made much of an impression on me in the past.

Hmm, lessee … dubstep is like a movie that's all special effects and no plot whatsoever.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    OK, because of you guys I just had to know what the hell a Wolfmother is.

The songs that make some small concession to modernity are pretty good. The rest would be more impressive if, say, I'd been dead since '90 and somebody just revived me yesterday.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, aggroculture started the Miley Cyrus thread. So take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I wish Skrillex would have put out a full length record before dubstep died in the mainstream.
    His shit is the tits.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    no.

I entirely agree. This is the true original sound of industrial. However, very few bands in the scene still make music like this. The public's general definition has somewhat changed since bands like Front 242, Ministry and NIN have stepped into the limelight.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    hah, i was re-reading this thread for kicks, and was just updating a link for a song that expired during our original discussion about this. didn't realize it notified you but it's an interesting topic.

but yeah, i have the purist's attitude about it in the sense that i know and understand the difference between industrial and ebm music, not to mention acknowledge the hybrid styles and offshoots that come with the turf. but i live for making sure that people don't re-define things and majorly change history because they haven't done their homework.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Um, Jeff Buckley has/had the best male voice ever. Gone too soon.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    ^Speaking of Jeff, i consider that his style has been ripped off many times, specially by the 90's Brit Pop groups, Coldplay made out a career out of this...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    ^Speaking of Jeff, i consider that his style has been ripped off many times, specially by the 90's Brit Pop groups, Coldplay made out a career out of this...
    Oh yeah. I seriously think that state of music would be so much different if he was alive now.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Oh yeah. I seriously think that state of music would be so much different if he was alive now.
    Not sure about the state of music, but at least the impact of many bands would have been different... i mean, even Radiohead has a "Jeff buckley-esque" song in "Fake Plastic Trees" and it was one of their groundbreaking hits... but at least is not a ripoff like (Coldplay's) "Parachutes".

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal I never drew parallels between Jeff and Coldplay but then I took a quick listen to Parachutes and Jeff's "Last Goodbye." You could be onto something but I don't think that Coldplay is even on the same level as Jeff. Jeff was this surreal presence in music. I think you're either obsessed by him or completely not. He was immensely talented.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Jeff was a genius songwriter, too. On par with any of the most revered songwriters like Dylan, Cohen, etc. To me personally, he was also a guitar hero of sorts and came up with some wickedly awesome chords.
    Last edited by piggy; 10-31-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Jeff was a genius songwriter, too. On par with any of the most revered songwriters like Dylan, Cohen, etc. To me personally, he was also a guitar hero of sorts and came up with some wickedly awesome chords.
    Amen to that.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    @henryeatscereal I never drew parallels between Jeff and Coldplay but then I took a quick listen to Parachutes and Jeff's "Last Goodbye." You could be onto something but I don't think that Coldplay is even on the same level as Jeff. Jeff was this surreal presence in music. I think you're either obsessed by him or completely not. He was immensely talented.
    I'm obsessed by "Grace", if anything... the first time i heard "Parachutes" it reminded me of Radiohead and Buckley (mostly Chris Martin's style of singing...)
    I thought: "Ok it's a listenable album, but it's like the stripped down version of Radiohead with Buckley's vocals", of course i could be "obsessed", but that's the feeling i got from them...

I also agree on the guitar chords comment, all the guitars on Grace are awesome, i think i'm going to listen to it as soon as i'm off work...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i always preferred the outtakes/unfinished record sketches for my sweetheart the drunk to grace... i suppose that's controversial, but 'new years prayer,' 'the sky is a landfill,' and 'nightmares by the sea' are wonderful.

& i'll just leave this here:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wolfmother's career pinnacle:
    I like Wolfmother--not my favorite band, but I like them well enough.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i always preferred the outtakes/unfinished record sketches for my sweetheart the drunk to grace... i suppose that's controversial, but 'new years prayer,' 'the sky is a landfill,' and 'nightmares by the sea' are wonderful.
    I think that Sketches is not for the casual JB fan but it shows the fantastic potential that what it could have been. The Sky is a Landfill, Everybody Here Wants You, New Year's Prayer, Witches Rave and Haven't You Heard are some of my faves on the album.