Page 190 of 191 FirstFirst ... 90 140 180 188 189 190 191 LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,700 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I remember watching the Closer video making of thing and hearing Mark Romanek say it reminded him of Prince and that’s meant to be a good thing! I don’t understand when it became cool to diss Prince either
    there are plenty of things to diss about prince. don’t get me wrong, i fucking love him but he was in his own world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    The worst about that Bitchfork thing was when they admitted it wasn't "cool" to like Prince in 2004 so they gave him a better rating now that he's dead. Ugh
    Meanwhile, around the early 2010's they were trying to spur on some R.Kelly resurgence in the wake of his piss-gate video scandal. That and when they started blowing Drake all day long I just completely checked out. They don't even make sense, and the writing is so pretentious sometimes it feels like an Onion article.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Willie Nelson > Johnny Cash

While Cash is more iconic and mythic, Willie's output has been a lot of more varied and consistent over the career span.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Skid Row's Slave to the Grind is part of the pantheon of great albums released in 1991.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    3 songs in and this Adele album is predictably boring. Is 2021 going to be the year people finally realise this or is she too big to be allowed to fail

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And it's devolved into something really awful... maybe the worst part of it is the adoption of hip-hop swagger couched in this "hell yeah redneck hillbiilly" shit. Like "girl we just riding in, riding up, let y'all know what's up, blastin that country sound, put the top down, yeah boy, let's show em how we roll!" Fucking so cringe.
    Yeah it’s terrible but in a way it’s kind of fascinating that we’re at the point in the music industry that now these kinds of mash-ups are possible. And that there is an audience for this stuff, but that it only flowered once someone had the bright idea to sex it up. And then there is the sociological aspect of it all. If rap was accepted by white kids living in flyover states with WASP-y type parents listening to Air Supply and Barbra Streisand in part because of whatever burnt-in-the-crust racism these folks casually carried off, what about the kids of those adults the same age who went as far as literally wearing the white robes, burning crosses. I can imagine any number of young men who spurned their elder’s racism in part by listening to and absorbing hip-hop into their vernacular. So yes the result is terrible in a musical sense, but I like the idea that cultural refuges for racists like country music can be shaken up to that degree too.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    3 songs in and this Adele album is predictably boring. Is 2021 going to be the year people finally realise this or is she too big to be allowed to fail
    I like a couple of songs, but i alway thought she's really overrated and what's up this stupid "shuffle thing"?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They finally apologized for that totally sexist Liz Phair review. It’s far too late, of course. The damage is done. It wasn’t a tongue-in-cheek snarky review; that asshole was totally serious. He should never be forgiven.

The Fragile review actually made me laugh, because I never took it seriously.

The “Liz Phair” review? Double standard bullshit from a sausage fest of disgruntled virgins.

It’s also good to see them LOWERING the score on some of those they originally tried too hard to like.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-22-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I like a couple of songs, but i alway thought she's really overrated and what's up this stupid "shuffle thing"?
    I don't get the shuffle thing either. I feel like I've always been able to play albums from start to finish?
    And really Adele, it's not like we're not already hearing your album "out of the correct order" every time we go to the grocery store to buy Pringles.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't get the shuffle thing either. I feel like I've always been able to play albums from start to finish.
    I know lots of people who NEVER do. Which is just TOTALLY weird to me. I “get” shuffle when you’re playing a bunch of albums, but not ONE album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    In regards to the above article, I guess that means Pitchfork is standing behind their 1.9 rating of Lateralus…

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8104-lateralus/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    In regards to the above article, I guess that means Pitchfork is standing behind their 1.9 rating of Lateralus…

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8104-lateralus/
    Because that review is hilarious.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Hips Don't Lie just came on this playlist and she sounds like the Kristen Wiig Target Lady character.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That review is a historical masterpiece. The rating is the trigger, because it is absurd, but draws you in to read "why the fuck" and you end up understanding the author is shitting on the review itself. He even admits the music is a masterpiece but I'm going to 1.9 this motherfucker because fuck all this shit.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Especially the part that actually thought a new album would be out after 3 years:

Just imagine the Tool record that will come out in three years, according to my theory. It will be the future, and albums can be like longer with better compression and technology. Even as amazing as Lateralus is, I feel like there's a monster coming in three years. Music comes in cycles, and works on math, and my life and Tool are proof of that for sure.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Thoughts? I am implying that the similarities are eerie. Sure, it's a simple rhyme and not even a total 1 for 1 at that, but you know that sensation when your ear has that de ja vu feeling that you heard this exact note before, and despite how similar some songs - especially for cookie cutter bands like these - can get, it usually only happens when they are indeed to similar.

Edit: 0:33 for ADTR and 0:43 for Egypt.

Edit 2: I just realized these fuckers (ADTB) also plagiarized Tainted Love towards the end. That's actually impressive.
    Last edited by Volband; 12-06-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Here's one: multiple posthumous album releases under a late artist's name doesn't look like "honoring their memory", it comes off instead as a ghoulish way of looking at that person's life and work as something to be mined for content.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    Here's one: multiple posthumous album releases under a late artist's name doesn't look like "honoring their memory", it comes off instead as a ghoulish way of looking at that person's life and work as something to be mined for content.
    Mostly agree but you can tell what’s sincere and what isn’t in regards to that type of release. I know most aren’t a fan and I for sure as hell am not but when that dirtbag XXXtentacion was killed they released a dogshit 25 minute long type “LP” with song snippets anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes long. I recall reading reviews saying it’s unfinished barely passable material but they sold it, marketed it and rode it to hell for people to buy and stream.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Every time I go on Twitter there’s another cringeworthy story about Machine Gun fucking Kelly and Megan Fox, don’t get how she can want to shag him, he looks like her stroppy teenage son in every photo even though he’s 31, that’s not meant to be a compliment to him
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-21-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Every time I go on Twitter there’s another cringeworthy story about Machine Gun fucking Kelly and Megan Fox, don’t get how she can want to shag him, he looks like her stroppy teenage son in every photo even though he’s 31, that’s not meant to be a compliment to him
    I've had like 50 stories show up on my Facebook feed about his proposal, drinking blood, ring that will hurt finger if taken off, etc. Who gives a shit? Why are these people famous?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I've had like 50 stories show up on my Facebook feed about his proposal, drinking blood, ring that will hurt finger if taken off, etc. Who gives a shit? Why are these people famous?
    I get the feeling it’s being paid for because most of the responses tend to be along these lines. I don’t see many people saying yeah they’re an awesome sexy couple.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I have had these types of things start showing up in my regular Google News feed. As if this shit is news. And I don't understand why because I NEVER click on these types of things so what is the algorithm thinking? Hell I'm still completely dumfounded as to why one single individual on this planet, much less millions, pay attention to the entire Kardashian family and have been doing so for decades.

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it's related to this other article that also showed up in my feed...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...162930653.html

At the very least society at large desperately needs to do a better job of prioritizing what constitutes as "news." I'm fine if that's what people want to read about but keep this shit out of my regular news please big tech.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I get the feeling it’s being paid for because most of the responses tend to be along these lines. I don’t see many people saying yeah they’re an awesome sexy couple.
    Just the opposite. Rage clicks are easier than interest clicks. No one would be talking about this if they were liked.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Just the opposite. Rage clicks are easier than interest clicks. No one would be talking about this if they were liked.
    Wonder if that’s true of Lena Dunham then, a ton of stuff about her has started showing up and she’s an incredibly irritating character

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I listened to about half of John Mellencamp’s interview with Marc Maron. He’s a bit of a jackass but can string together a story or two about himself. I’m honestly stunned that he has achieved the kind of legend status he has, his best songs are really just retreads of Springsteen, Dylan and others.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I listened to about half of John Mellencamp’s interview with Marc Maron. He’s a bit of a jackass but can string together a story or two about himself. I’m honestly stunned that he has achieved the kind of legend status he has, his best songs are really just retreads of Springsteen, Dylan and others.
    I went to an event once where the host asked the crowd about celebrity encounters they had. One guy had worked crew during one of his shows, and he said Mellencamp had a big curtain set up so he didn't have to see any of the crew on his way to the stage. I have no idea if that was true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I prefer Genesis with Phil Collins on vocals. I know the "correct" answer is Genesis was better with Gabriel, and while that era is great, I prefer the more pop sounding albums like Duke and Invisible Touch.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I prefer Genesis with Phil Collins on vocals. I know the "correct" answer is Genesis was better with Gabriel, and while that era is great, I prefer the more pop sounding albums like Duke and Invisible Touch.
    I mean, I think "Mama" and "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" are great songs.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Is that you Patrick?

In all seriousness though, I might agree with you. My favorite Genesis stuff tends to be from the self titled album. But what's really weird is that even though I like early Genesis and solo Phil Collins, I actually think Peter Gabriel's solo work trumps all of the above. So yeah.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Is that you Patrick?

In all seriousness though, I might agree with you. My favorite Genesis stuff tends to be from the self titled album. But what's really weird is that even though I like early Genesis and solo Phil Collins, I actually think Peter Gabriel's solo work trumps all of the above. So yeah.
    That scene is great.