Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's not preferring broader discussion, it's believing that people not on the John Peel trip are somehow stunted

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's not preferring broader discussion, it's believing that people not on the John Peel trip are somehow stunted
    Is anyone saying that, though? This is A Message Board About Music - if you think it's valuable to sit around online and discuss the hows, whys, and wherefores of music you like with complete strangers, chances are you are more invested in music in general than your mom or your neighbour. Even if you only like NIN or, hell, even if you think Marilyn Manson is the best. It's a funny special interest group. Casual listeners tend not to stick around, but not because they get bullied, rather because they get bored. I don't read much snobbery coming off of anyone posting here.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Just because someone has wound up on this board and is talking about music doesn't mean they're necessarily doing so from the vantage point where Nine Inch Nails is (or ever was) the center of their universe. They might just like NIN, along with a thousand other unrelated bands that fall into different genres.
    Fair enough.
    But I don't see the scope of this board as narrowing. In fact, I think it's broader and more tolerant at this point than I've found it since joining in, 2005 I think. Now you can pretty much start a thread on any band without being shot down in flames by the taste police as might have been the case as recently as a couple of years ago. To me the main problem is that interesting conversation about music - and I think Bluecalx made this point earlier - doesn't necessarily occur in threads about bands, either the long ones about big bands that get constant updates, or the short ones about obscurer bands that get a few responses then sink, to be sporadically updated - we can count out the threads that are kept going by one person. I don't really know what to suggest except more of this type of threads

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Is anyone saying that, though?
    Yes, I think you did with your quip about "rock bros." I dig that there are discussions here about Type O Negative, Korn and SOAD. I don't think this narrows or devalues the board in any way. The Manson thread is a little scary to me because I don't understand that level of fandom for anyone, let alone Manson. But I'm glad it's there to dip into, and in every case I favor tolerance over the policing of taste...I don't understand what the so-called rock bros have to be ashamed about here, it's not like discussions about Nickelback or Five Finger Death Punch are taking over the board. To many TR is a rock bro. Ask Nivek Ogre. Ask Vinnie Paul and he'll tell you NIN makes great music for his strippers to shake their breasts to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Yes, I think you did with your quip about "rock bros."
    Well, hell, on one level, I'm a rock bro. And if we're talking about current vs. retro (which does keep coming up here), I certainly date myself by wanting to bang on about Morrissey at every opportunity. And by picking the name "BlueCalx" when Aphex Twin's done not much but tool around the Cornish countryside in his Hummer for time out of mind. I didn't mean "rock bro" as a dismissal or a slam, even with the silly tilda points surrounding the term. What I meant is that although the board appears to be dominated by discussion of bands that, to many, are dinosaurs, there's a lot more than that going on, and that one shouldn't expect to be shat upon by a strawman legion of neanderthals if one decides to start a thread about, say, Solomon Burke. Does that make any sense at all?