Page 58 of 191 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    As i said: i'm not a fan or anything but i respect him, even the "cheesefest" that's "Dancing in the Dark" has great lyrics (honest, pay attention to them!) and speaking of songs that can't be overlooked "The Ghost of Tom Joad" is a great example that he can be a great songwriter and lyricist...
    Oo yeah, I love The Ghost of Tom Joad. (Not so much the live version with Tom Morello.)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Is it wrong to hope that Belle & Sebastian will spontaneously combust, fall into a bottomless pit, and take all their fans with them — screaming and falling and burning for billions of years until the world ends?

I mean, maybe I’m being too nice.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I've avoided Bruce my whole life. Maybe one day.
    His version of Because the Night makes me physically queasy. Is he intending to sound like such a creep/Meat Loaf?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Please tell me 'Get Lucky' is not representative of the whole of Random Access Memories, just saw the Grammys performance of it, it is absolutely crap, just really unmemorable and dull song. Awful

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Get Lucky sucks. Really does. I don't remember how the rest of the album compares, apparently not memorable to me...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It comes to something when I prefer a Miley Cyrus song over a Daft Punk one

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Get Lucky is a great song.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I find Daft Punk excruciatingly boring, safe and generic electronic cheese. I've tried Discovery, Homework and Human After All and find them all decent at best. Nothing remarkable in the grander scheme of things. They're not a bad act but nothing extravagantly good as they're credited for as far as I'm concerned. I tried, I really did.

P.S. Doin' it Right off the last album is the only song I really like but that's mainly due to Panda Bear.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Some people praised their replication/homage to the 70s soul and funk sound. I think their dedication to that wonderful era came across, boring, flat, dull, repetitive and annoying. Not one track from Random Access Memories would pack a dancefloor in 1978. Give me Lenny White or Earth Wind and Fire anyday.
    What pissed me off about this new album was the line 'Give life back to music',..... Random Access memories is so boring it makes me want to fall into a fucking coma.
    They are only as big as the are, because of their Robot image.
    Human After All was one of the worst records i ever heard in my entire life. Torture.
    They were great back in the 90s-early 00s, Alive 97 was mindblowing but they seem to have done their upmost to remove themselves from that period sound wise.
    They seems to have more interest in Hollywood these days than the underground electronic scene they sprung from.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I wonder when Daft Punk went from being a cheesy retro-disco novelty act to taken-seriously electronica artists. Is it a US thing? Are they critically revered in Europe too? I just don't remember them being critical darlings back in the day, and it's not like they've evolved particularly. If you had told me the band that plays Around the World would be playing the Grammys 15 years later I would have said "nah." Maybe they earned their stripes by enduring. I find them as shallow and uninteresting as ever.
    That said, Get Lucky is a catchy enough pop song. It's the best thing I've heard from Pharell in a while.
    Also, I much prefer Justice. Their second album is awesome. It's like Daft Punk meets heavy metal.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 02-02-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I wasn't even sure were to post this, but i think it fits better here than the Smashing Pumpkins thread:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/a-brief-...s-goddamn-mind

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    And most recently (at the time of publication anyway), the latest nail in his legacy’s coffin was spending a Friday night in his tea shop (oh right, he owns a tea shop, by the way) doing an 8-hour synth interpretation of the Hermann Hesse novel, Siddhartha.
    Wait, that was his tea shop? Somehow I missed that bit when I was reading about this Siddhartha farce. Makes more sense than there being two nut jobs involved, one of whom happens to be a tea shop owner strangely willing to let Billy Corgan do his knob twiddling for 8 hours straight.

Oh well. The other day I was wondering if anyone escaped the 90s alternative thing with their relevance and sanity intact, since I could only think of three people off the top of my head: Trent Reznor, Dave Grohl and Billy Corgan.

Make that two.

(Feel free to correct me if I’ve forgotten somebody. I’m not saying that to be snarky — I honestly can’t think of any other names at the moment.)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i liked miley's 'bangerz' way more than 'hesitation marks' (which i also liked a lot).

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Oh well. The other day I was wondering if anyone escaped the 90s alternative thing with their relevance and sanity intact, since I could only think of three people off the top of my head: Trent Reznor, Dave Grohl and Billy Corgan.

Make that two.

(Feel free to correct me if I’ve forgotten somebody. I’m not saying that to be snarky — I honestly can’t think of any other names at the moment.)
    Eddie Vedder perhaps?
    He continues to do great albums with Pearl Jam, he's a family man now and he's more centered and a good songwriter...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i liked miley's 'bangerz' way more than 'hesitation marks' (which i also liked a lot).
    Ultimately I am disappointed with Bangerz: I love We Can't Stop, Wrecking Ball, and Getitright, but too much of the album is very cliched and dull sounding. I think Miley aimed higher than she could pull off. I think she's amazing, but the album is a let down.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Eddie Vedder perhaps?
    He continues to do great albums with Pearl Jam, he's a family man now and he's more centered and a good songwriter...
    You’re right, I forgot about him. Some people might have rolled their eyes at his ukulele album, but Pearl Jam’s reputation is pretty solid in my mind.

Now with the NIN-Soundgarden rumors I have to wonder if Chris Cornell has lived Scream down yet.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You’re right, I forgot about him. Some people might have rolled their eyes at his ukulele album, but Pearl Jam’s reputation is pretty solid in my mind.

Now with the NIN-Soundgarden rumors I have to wonder if Chris Cornell has lived Scream down yet.
    Gotta admit i was among those who were sceptic about Vedder's Ukulele songs, yet the album ended up being a pleasant surprise, very listenable with great lyrics, certainly it's not a 8-hour synth interpretation of "Siddartha"...

In my opinion Cornell has gotten better, he did the right thing by getting back with Soundgarden and it nice to say that "King Animal" is much more listenable than "Scream"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Gotta admit i was among those who were sceptic about Vedder's Ukulele songs, yet the album ended up being a pleasant surprise, very listenable with great lyrics, certainly it's not a 8-hour synth interpretation of "Siddartha"...

In my opinion Cornell has gotten better, he did the right thing by getting back with Soundgarden and it nice to say that "King Animal" is much more listenable than "Scream"
    Even Scream would be better than an 8-hour synth interpretation of Siddhartha.

And I agree about King Animal — better than Down on the Upside as far as I’m concerned.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Even Scream would be better than an 8-hour synth interpretation of Siddhartha.

And I agree about King Animal — better than Down on the Upside as far as I’m concerned.
    It's not better than Upside but I do really love King Animal. So many great tracks on there. Non-State Actor, Bones of Birds and Rowing to name a few.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I liked Scream. I hope that Cornell never does anything like that again, but it was a cool side-step for him, IMO. It wasn't boring, I'll give it that.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Ultimately I am disappointed with Bangerz: I love We Can't Stop, Wrecking Ball, and Getitright, but too much of the album is very cliched and dull sounding. I think Miley aimed higher than she could pull off. I think she's amazing, but the album is a let down.
    did you get the deluxe version? all four add'l tracks are good, but "on my own" should've been a single, not a b-side.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I liked Scream. I hope that Cornell never does anything like that again, but it was a cool side-step for him, IMO. It wasn't boring, I'll give it that.
    The only good thing that came out of Scream was the live acoustic version of Ground Zero. And maybe the album cover.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    if you had told me 10 years ago I would eventually think Linkin Park would become one of the more interesting mainstream acts in rock, I would've laughed, but here we are. their early stuff is still crap though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    New Linkin Park is terrible, and they just released a song with Rakim on it. He was nearly untouchable in the 80s and 90s, great rapper, but even he can't save that sinking ship.

The Soundgarden reunion was decent. Better than the new Pearl Jam shit and equal with the new Alice in Chains stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    Although I don't care for her music, I kind of respect Miley Cyrus for basically saying "fuck you" to everyone in the pop industry and basically pissing people off no matter what she does

I think a Vice article listed her as the biggest punk act of 2013 for those reasons alone which I actually agree with tbh, ideologically it's actually more punk than most of the stuff that gets called punk nowdays.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViN View Post
    The Soundgarden reunion was decent. Better than the new Pearl Jam shit and equal with the new Alice in Chains stuff.
    Now that we're talkin' controversial:

Lightning Bolt > The Devil put Dinosaurs here > King Animal

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViN View Post
    New Linkin Park is terrible
    Thought I'd clear that up for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Make that two.

Chino Moreno. More relevant than ever before IMO.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Now that we're talkin' controversial:

Lightning Bolt > The Devil put Dinosaurs here > King Animal
    The last half of Lightning Bolt instantly proves this wrong. King Animal keeps it together to the end, Lightning Bolt does not.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Wait, that was his tea shop? Somehow I missed that bit when I was reading about this Siddhartha farce. Makes more sense than there being two nut jobs involved, one of whom happens to be a tea shop owner strangely willing to let Billy Corgan do his knob twiddling for 8 hours straight.

Make that two.

What about Mike Patton? Is he considered part of that group?