Page 142 of 191 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 152 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,260 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I get that this is the controversial music opinion thread, but the Beatles are one band that I would never consider to be overrated. In 300 years people will still be listening to them.

On another note, Led Zeppelin II is Zeppelin's best album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    /\ incorrect, but staying on topic, I and II kick the Shit out of IV, hoth & physical graffitti (the last two of those aren't that good either)

Push it to the limit from scarface is a better song and better montage than eye of the tiger from rocky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Jerry Cantrell's solo albums were better than his overall work with Alice In Chains, I find myself listening to Boggy Depot and Degradation Trip more than Dirt these days.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Jerry Cantrell's solo albums were better than his overall work with Alice In Chains, I find myself listening to Boggy Depot and Degradation Trip more than Dirt these days.
    Mmmmmmmm......i honestly think they are equal in quality. Boggy to Degradation was like Facelift to Dirt.

Once he got his thing down it was fire.

Also pretty much every song on Degradation Trip unintentionally reflected on Layne whether it was about him or not.

But i do Agee. Degradation Trip is a fucking masterpiece, I have the double album and i always refer to it as the AiC album we never goy...could you just imagine Layne on that? It could of shot AiC back into orbit.

Feel the void is so fucking awesome.

But even still, Jerry is still kicking strong now imo, still has tasty riffs and great lyrics.

AiC at their worst is still better then most metal bands imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Mmmmmmmm......i honestly think they are equal in quality. Boggy to Degradation was like Facelift to Dirt.

Once he got his thing down it was fire.

Also pretty much every song on Degradation Trip unintentionally reflected on Layne whether it was about him or not.

But i do Agee. Degradation Trip is a fucking masterpiece, I have the double album and i always refer to it as the AiC album we never goy...could you just imagine Layne on that? It could of shot AiC back into orbit.

Feel the void is so fucking awesome.

But even still, Jerry is still kicking strong now imo, still has tasty riffs and great lyrics.

AiC at their worst is still better then most metal bands imo
    Agreed, Degradation Trip was a once-in-a-career album which summarizes his influences and his progression from the start of AIC and onwards. It's quite rare to see a double album with no filler. Even the commercial songs like Anger Rising and She Was My Girl were good. I think Jerry's solo work shows much more range and variety than with AIC. You've got heavy tracks like Spider Bite, mid-tempo songs like Angel Eyes, experimental stuff like Feel The Void and Hurts Don't It, even some folk/country like Gone and 31/32. Nothing beats Solitude in my opinion, probably one of the top 5 songs I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Agreed, Degradation Trip was a once-in-a-career album which summarizes his influences and his progression from the start of AIC and onwards. It's quite rare to see a double album with no filler. Even the commercial songs like Anger Rising and She Was My Girl were good. I think Jerry's solo work shows much more range and variety than with AIC. You've got heavy tracks like Spider Bite, mid-tempo songs like Angel Eyes, experimental stuff like Feel The Void and Hurts Don't It, even some folk/country like Gone and 31/32. Nothing beats Solitude in my opinion, probably one of the top 5 songs I've ever heard.

Actually, a lot of the songs on Boggy Depot were outtakes from the Tripod album and Get Born Again and Died were intended to be on Degradation Trip but Jerry showed those two songs to Layne and he wanted to write lyrics for them, which further proves my thought of that album being a lost AiC album.

I do agree that there is more variety, but I don't think having a lot of variety makes for better music. Sure it can help, but it's not always gonna work. least that's my opinion.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Degradation Trip volumes 1 and 2 is an outstanding body-of-work. Like it says in the liner notes, the extra songs that didn't make the single disc aren't just tacked on, b-side filler, they're just as good as the other songs that were on the initial, single disc version. This was released in 2002, a few years after the grunge, post-grunge era and before the AIC revival, so it kind of got lost in the shuffle, at a time when nu-metal was in fashion. It's a very underrated album, imho.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    these 2 solos albums are definitely better than the last 2 AIC v2 records, not sure he can write stuff like that anymore.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    these 2 solos albums are definitely better than the last 2 AIC v2 records, not sure he can write stuff like that anymore.
    I agree to a degree.

I think BGWTB is a classic album but Devil could of been of much better. Its good but it could of been great. I still love Hollow, the title track, Phantom Limb and Hung on a Hook

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    fuck this guy, fuck his band

Jesse Hughes goes off on “pathetic and disgusting” student-led protests against gun violence

Eagles of Death Metal singer criticized student protestors as "disgusting vile abusers of the dead," shares doctored photo of Emma González

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    fuck this guy, fuck his band

Jesse Hughes goes off on “pathetic and disgusting” student-led protests against gun violence

Eagles of Death Metal singer criticized student protestors as "disgusting vile abusers of the dead," shares doctored photo of Emma González
    Between this and Josh Homme kicking a female photographer in the face at a Queens concert, these two are making it very easy for me to delete their music. And, it fucking sucks because I loved both of those bands. I'm not there yet with QOTSA, but I'm there with EODM now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree to a degree.

I think BGWTB is a classic album but Devil could of been of much better. Its good but it could of been great. I still love Hollow, the title track, Phantom Limb and Hung on a Hook
    I'm pretty much the opposite regarding the reformed AIC albums. I liked TDPDH more than BGWTB, it felt like the songs on TDPDH are more polished and less drawn out than most of the stuff on BGWTB. But like armogi said, both still pale in comparison to his solo stuff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Re: EODM guy ranting ; Ignore anyone over the age of 30 who can't use ellipses in the proper manner. I just think if you have not noticed and taken on board that it's three full stops, you either don't read or can't learn. And with those as possibilities, why would I be interested in your opinions on complex matters.

I am one of these elitists who thinks stupid people are stupid.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Probably not super controversial but...other than literally 2-3 great songs, Arcade Fire are dreadfully dull in my opinion.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Probably not super controversial but...other than literally 2-3 great songs, Arcade Fire are dreadfully dull in my opinion.
    i saw them in seattle years ago, went in blind, came out a huge fan. it was so exhilerating -- so much energy coming from SO MANY PEOPLE in the band. i fell in love with funeral and neon bible shortly after. i also loved the fuck out of the suburbs. never made it all the way through reflektor, which is weird because james murphy co-produced it and not only is lcd soundsystem one of my favorite bands, but they played before a.f. at that show. i have only heard two new songs from everything now, and ... y'know, i just don't care like i feel i should. i'm coming up on 40 real quick like, and it's hard to maintain serious passion for things like arcade fire anymore.

*shrug*
    Last edited by kel; 03-26-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Pretty similar to me. Saw them in 2006 and 2010. I'd never say anything like they're not talented or whatever, that'd just be flat out wrong. I just find as time goes on, as more of their albums come out, it's all the more drab. Watched them at the Junos las night (have a family member who works at Rogers Arena and BC Place here in Vancouver, so any show/event at either place I can just go to lol) and they were beyonnnnd boring.

I remember thinking while this was on...maybe like 90 seconds in...'does this fucking song go anywhere at all?' Then by the time it was almost over.... 'I get it. EVERYTHING NOW! EVERYTHING NOW!' Just stop.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I hopped on the AF bandwagon right before The Suburbs came out and I quickly lost interest. For me, they just got to be too pretentious. Much like how I came to view The Flaming Lips after a while. Also, I can't stand Win's voice.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I still dig Arcade Fire, but I do agree that their last two albums haven't been very good. There's some solid stuff on Reflektor, but it definitely didn't need to be a double album, and Everything Now just wasn't very memorable aside from a couple tracks.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Not sure if shitty music or controversial but I tried this band out again once more today. The rapping/vocal delivery kills any decent groove that the riffs might present. Not my idea of influential and good 90's metal. I guess that's why they're not popular? Or maybe they are? I always thought they sucked. Blueprints for the ever mediocre nu-metal trend I guess?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Ok so this isn't about MY controversial music opinion; rather, controversial music opinions being flung all over the hip hop world.
    There is a frightening trend of these young sound cloud rappers dissing Tupac. And a lot of these kids are fucking TERRIBLE. Lil Xan is one. But the one who took it a step too far is 03 Greedo. When asked about Tupac, he sent shockwaves around the hip hop world by calling him a bitch ass nigga. " Now I understand that some of these kids might not like boom bap, just, period, and might not really be aware of some of it. I guess it's kind of like punk rockers disparaging led zep and pink floyd. But jesus, saying that Pac is a PUNK is kind of unbelievable.
    I mean, jesus. Dude was shot five times, he was born in a fucking prison, his family was Black Panthers and, I mean, he's fucking Tupac. Oh, and he's DEAD. I bet these kids wouldn't say shit about Hova or Nas. They DAMN sure wouldn't say that shit about Pac if he was alive to defend himself unless they wanted beef where they might actually get shot at.
    On the other hand, it's a brilliant marketing move. I'd never heard of 03 Greedo before this, and now I've listened to several of his songs and here I am telling you guys about him.
    What do you guys think about this? I know a lot of NIN fans are hip hoppers. About half the music I've listened to in my day has been hip hop and I still stay pretty plugged in to the culture. And what's happening to it is kind of concerning to me. @bobbie solo , what do you think of this? @mfte ? @Krazy ? @imail742 ? @RhettButler ?
    I'd REALLY like to get the opinion of some younger people. I wonder what people under thirty think of this.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok so this isn't about MY controversial music opinion; rather, controversial music opinions being flung all over the hip hop world.
    There is a frightening trend of these young sound cloud rappers dissing Tupac. And a lot of these kids are fucking TERRIBLE. Lil Xan is one. But the one who took it a step too far is 03 Greedo. When asked about Tupac, he sent shockwaves around the hip hop world by calling him a bitch ass nigga. " Now I understand that some of these kids might not like boom bap, just, period, and might not really be aware of some of it. I guess it's kind of like punk rockers disparaging led zep and pink floyd. But jesus, saying that Pac is a PUNK is kind of unbelievable.
    I mean, jesus. Dude was shot five times, he was born in a fucking prison, his family was Black Panthers and, I mean, he's fucking Tupac. Oh, and he's DEAD. I bet these kids wouldn't say shit about Hova or Nas. They DAMN sure wouldn't say that shit about Pac if he was alive to defend himself unless they wanted beef where they might actually get shot at.
    On the other hand, it's a brilliant marketing move. I'd never heard of 03 Greedo before this, and now I've listened to several of his songs and here I am telling you guys about him.
    What do you guys think about this? I know a lot of NIN fans are hip hoppers. About half the music I've listened to in my day has been hip hop and I still stay pretty plugged in to the culture. And what's happening to it is kind of concerning to me. @bobbie solo , what do you think of this? @mfte ? @Krazy ? @imail742 ? @RhettButler ?
    I'd REALLY like to get the opinion of some younger people. I wonder what people under thirty think of this.
    I pay no attention to those rappers b/c by in large they're garbage and they have no effect on the overall culture. When one of them breaks through to bigger things, sure I keep tabs bc of my job, but they are all clearly flash in the pan types so long term it won't matter. Shit, look at a guy like Fetty Wap even. His songs were monsters 2 and 3 years ago, he got a big push behind him, and now he has a very good chance of being over and done with. So the type of clowns you're referring to, I'm really not going to pay any mind to unless I have to.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 04-05-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's the natural order of things to desecrate the graves of those that came before you it seems. It's perhaps reflective of the music industry itself, which isn't really known for it's sensitivity.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Pac might just come down off the spaceship where he lives with Michael Jackson and David Bowie and school these kids.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It’s easy to run the risk of being too reverent and never pushing any boundaries or trying new things. Sex Pistols formed when one saw another wearing a shirt that said Pink Floyd Sucks. The greats who were actually great will survive whatever disrespect younger newer artists throw at them and if the new ones suck they’ll he forgotten and if they’ve got something to offer then they’ll have their place. I’ve never seen the point in getting too defensive of people who don’t need defending.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It’s easy to run the risk of being too reverent and never pushing any boundaries or trying new things. Sex Pistols formed when one saw another wearing a shirt that said Pink Floyd Sucks. The greats who were actually great will survive whatever disrespect younger newer artists throw at them and if the new ones suck they’ll he forgotten and if they’ve got something to offer then they’ll have their place. I’ve never seen the point in getting too defensive of people who don’t need defending.
    I'm gonna pick nits, here: The Sex Pistols were formed by Malcolm McLaren as a fashionable money-making scheme and not as a reaction to Lydon's snotty homemade t-shirt. By that point, Punk had already been well-established in NYC and it had inspired McClaren (particularly Richard Hell and Television).

So, really, the Sex Pistols, under the direction of impresario McLaren, attempted to make some money in the U.K. out of what had already been established in NYC.

Sorry, I'm an old punk. These things matter to me.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-04-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I agree with Bobbie Solo- never heard of them (there’s probably a reason- cuz they suck) nor will I ever give them a listen click on YT or whatever. It’s defin for exposure, but time will tell if it has any impact. If I were one of those fuckers I’d be scared to say anything out of fear some shoots or kills me. But that’s their choice.

And yeah, Tupac is a legendary rapper. Also I’m in my 40’s now so don’t count this as what someone under 30 thinks. :P

Since we’re on the subject of controversial rap opinions, I’m of the thinking it’s kind of like rock- as in its dead. Newer hip hop/rap doesn’t do much for me. There isn’t one rapper that’s interesting. A couple years back I decided to buy Kendrick’s To Pimp A Butterfly CD from the strong responses it got. And... nothing. Not one song did anything for me. The only thing I noticed from it was how often he decided to use “n***a” in his vocabulary lol. He just seemed to drop the word just to drop it, like a go-to when you can’t think of a lyric.

Meh, I’m getting old. :/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I agree with Bobbie Solo- never heard of them (there’s probably a reason- cuz they suck) nor will I ever give them a listen click on YT or whatever. It’s defin for exposure, but time will tell if it has any impact. If I were one of those fuckers I’d be scared to say anything out of fear some shoots or kills me. But that’s their choice.

And yeah, Tupac is a legendary rapper. Also I’m in my 40’s now so don’t count this as what someone under 30 thinks. :P

Since we’re on the subject of controversial rap opinions, I’m of the thinking it’s kind of like rock- as in its dead. Newer hip hop/rap doesn’t do much for me. There isn’t one rapper that’s interesting. A couple years back I decided to buy Kendrick’s To Pimp A Butterfly CD from the strong responses it got. And... nothing. Not one song did anything for me. The only thing I noticed from it was how often he decided to use “n***a” in his vocabulary lol. He just seemed to drop the word just to drop it, like a go-to when you can’t think of a lyric.

Meh, I’m getting old. :/
    Dude. It's getting BAAAAAAAAD. Like ABSOLUTELY no talent bad.
    These kids all have tattoos on their faces and are called "Lil" something. And it's like they just buy a trap beat and fucking mumble over it.

One of these kids that dissed pac was in california got mobbed by 20 people the other day wanting to beat his ass, haha, and he CALLED THE COPS. Real tough guy.
    @Krazy , rap isn't dead, it's just evolved to the point where it's un-fucking-recognizable.
    What's dead is like the boom bap sound and the image of the rapper that we grew up with.

But hip hop is actually the most popular type of music now. Thing is, I wouldn't consider 90 percent of it to be the same fucking GENRE as the shit we grew up with. There's also the issue of authenticity.

Like fucking "Rick Ross." When it became common knowledge that A.) dude stole his name from an ACTUAL drug dealer, and B.) he worked as a fucking CO, our generation would have eaten him alive. that would have been the end of his fucking career.
    But kids these days don't care. I'm not sure why.
    And now, even Rick Ross is old news.

It's this mumble rap bullshit dominating the uhhhh...airwaves...actually they mostly listen to it on youtube i think.

And Kendrick is actually an exception. Kendrick is at least fucking recognizably RAPPING and has talent and shit.
    It may just have to do with age. Like, i think kendrick is really bad ass but haven't, you know, taken to it like i did Outkast and such. But then, i was a teenager.

But yeah, i'm a fucking hip hopper and i'm 38 and the only newish rappers that i'm into are like Tyler the Creator, Earl Sweatshirt, Joey Badass (thx to @Bobie solo ) and Chance the Rapper. (edit: and Gho$temane.)

There is just a massive generation gap i think. In fact, we probably sound like our parent's generation bitching about NIN and MM and shit, hahaha.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-16-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Cardi B is fun for a commercial rapper. At least she's actually rapping, and having a good time with it all. Doesn't take herself too seriously (see the Bruno Mars feature we've all heard plenty, which is refreshing.

I also like most of what A$AP Mob does. They are a group of younger rappers that usually don't have a "boom bap" sound (sometimes they do though), but I still like the lane they've carved out with a contemporary sound to most of their stuff.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    the only thing about DJ KHALID that i enjoy is his need to say his name in every song he's in like he is a pokemon...its fucking hilarious

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    the only thing about DJ KHALID that i enjoy is his need to say his name in every song he's in like he is a pokemon...its fucking hilarious
    He comes off like a comical cartoon character. Too ridiculous and stupid to take seriously. Fun to laugh at and feel better about myself as a person.