Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Morrissey, on the other hand, I love: check these awesome numbers out:
    Thanks for trying to convert me. To be honest, I have to admit that "First of the gang to die" is an awesome song. I've heard it of course many times before and liked it, but it's probably the only song that I like by him. As for the other ones, I think the first one "the more you ignore me" is the reason for why i think Morrissey is a douche. It sounds like a toothpaste/dandruff jingle, and a bad one at that. The third one "the world" has that aura of something that sounds as if it might turn good at any moment, but it doesn't, at all. Major turnoff. The last one sounds like someones uncle taking karaoke lessons.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    Thanks for trying to convert me. To be honest, I have to admit that "First of the gang to die" is an awesome song. I've heard it of course many times before and liked it, but it's probably the only song that I like by him. As for the other ones, I think the first one "the more you ignore me" is the reason for why i think Morrissey is a douche. It sounds like a toothpaste/dandruff jingle, and a bad one at that. The third one "the world" has that aura of something that sounds as if it might turn good at any moment, but it doesn't, at all. Major turnoff. The last one sounds like someones uncle taking karaoke lessons.
    I'm a huge Morrissey fan. If these ones don't float your boat you're a lost cause:

My Dearest Love:

Lost:

Life Is A Pigsty:

I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now:

Black Cloud:

Christian Dior:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Ministry's ever popular "Jesus Built My Hotrod" is a terrible song and I don't really get how it has the praise it does.

Rammstein's 2001 album, Mutter, is terrible and doesn't have a good song on it. I don't like anything off or from it. Never bought it, never been in my library since my initial hearing and never will my opinion change.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Rammstein's 2001 album, Mutter, is terrible and doesn't have a good song on it. I don't like anything off or from it. Never bought it, never been in my library since my initial hearing and never will my opinion change.
    Funny, i think the exact same thing about "Rosenrot", i just can't get into it...
    "Mutter" is a bit mediocre at times but it's listenable compared to "Rosenrot", i think this one is the worst Rammstein release.
    I also find "Reise Reise" extremely underrated!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 11-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Funny, i think the exact same thing about "Rosenrot", i just can't get into it...
    "Mutter" is a bit mediocre at times but it's listenable compared to "Rosenrot", i think this one is the worst Rammstein release.
    I also find "Reise Reise" extremely underrated!
    Most people think Rosenrot is garbage but I must say that it has quite a few great tracks like Mann Gegen Mann, Benzin,Stirb Nicht Vor Mir and Te Quiero Puta! The rest I can take or leave. Still better than anything on Mutter. Can't listen to anything from it. Only song I can remember by name from it is Links 2 3 4. Meh.

I also agree about Reise, Reise.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    You just broke my heart Space.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    You just broke my heart Space.

Shall I bring staples, glue or tape?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maynard's voice is the best part of Tool.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    Maynard's voice is the best part of Tool.
    Blasphemy!!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    808s - Yeezus > College Dropout - Graduation

I've never understood why Kanye's early production is so favored over the newer production on 808s onward. So much more powerful and unique.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    808s - Yeezus > College Dropout - Graduation

I've never understood why Kanye's early production is so favored over the newer production on 808s onward. So much more powerful and unique.
    I'm one of the more vocal fans on here of Kanye in general but I certainly prefer his most recent trio of albums to his early trio. Graduation actually goes toe to toe with 808s for me; I consider it an excellent record in its own right and you can really see that big transition about to happen. There's all of the fun and bombast there but that undercurrent of darker depth that really came to fruition on 808s, then devoured so much of Fantasy, and is pretty much the DNA for Yeezus. Yeezus is one of the most interesting sounding albums I've heard come out this decade. Probably my favorite of the 10's so far honestly. It's high up there at least.

I enjoy all of his work, but 808s on has a depth and power (ay-ay, ah-ah, ay-ay) that can't be argued with. I think I'm always a big fan of transitional albums for bands though so that might be why I'm so much bigger on Graduation than his first two albums out of that trilogy. Flashing Lights is perfection, man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Unless the recording is especially muddy and noisy unmastered tracks almost always sound better than even lightly mastered tracks

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    Unless the recording is especially muddy and noisy unmastered tracks almost always sound better than even lightly mastered tracks
    yeah, i really like the approach steven wilson has used for the last few years (including with all the king crimson stuff he did) which is to make such a good mix that it doesn't need to be mastered.

that said, i got my last two albums mastered by a friend who a) uses a REALLY nice analog compressor and b) really knows what he's doing, and it made them both sound much better than i could have done on my own (because i don't have any outboard gear and only have VST plug-ins on which to rely).