Page 100 of 191 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Beck is overrated, let's face it... he does have some good singles and albums, but excluding "Odelay!" is most of his career is mediocre; also "Sea Change" has to be one of the most boring records i've ever heard...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-09-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Sea Change is actually my favorite Beck album. It's a shame the best song is only on the Japanese release.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I lost him after "Midnite Vultures"; i tried with "Guero" but it was so-so...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Heh, I wouldn't go quite as far as aggroculture did, but when I heard that Beck won, I thought that he must be safely mainstream now, because that's what the Grammies do, they give awards to the mainstream. This also counts for Aphex Twin's Syro. The Grammies would get a little more respect if they recognized talents at the beginning of their career, not when their influences have been absorbed by popular culture.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think Sea Change is the only post-Odelay Beck material I've heard that has had any effect on me.
    If I recall correctly I listened to it non-stop for week, when it was speaking to whatever depressive state I was in at the time.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Beck is overrated, let's face it... he does have some good singles and albums, but excluding "Odelay!" is most of his career is mediocre; also "Sea Change" has to be one of the most boring records i've ever heard...
    sea change and guero are actually my two favorite beck albums, followed by midnite vultures. odelay is good and has some great singles, but i have a hard time listening to it all the way through sometimes.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sea change and guero are actually my two favorite beck albums, followed by midnite vultures. odelay is good and has some great singles, but i have a hard time listening to it all the way through sometimes.
    Weird, to me "Odelay" it's the one that "flows" better to my ears, i wish he kept this style, i heard like 1 song from "Modern Guilt" and didn't liked it and when i heard that the new album (Morning Phase) is similar to "Sea Change", i was out...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    An impulse click on Sea Change is the only reason I've listened to anything else Beck has done (which isn't much at this point). It's got more tracks I like than Odelay by a large margin.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sea Change is still my favorite Beck album. Should I be ashamed that I have not yet listened to Morning Phase?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Sea Change is still my favorite Beck album. Should I be ashamed that I have not yet listened to Morning Phase?
    i haven't either

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Can't listen to Sea Change​, too painful. I don't mean that the album is bad, but the album takes me to a place I rather not visit, making me think of someone I wish I could forget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I agree, but Odelay is a masterpiece.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I like him still, but I'm surprised at how well recieved he is generally by now. All the praise comes a bit late for me as plenty of articels already mentioned. It's still good to see, that he was given the Grammy. Actually someone I can make sense of in a long time at this award show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like (don't love) Beck and think that he has a solid body-of-work. I have no problem with him winning album of the year. Saw him maybe ten years ago and he put on a good show.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I really like this song.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I love Riff Raff so much

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I like (don't love) Beck and think that he has a solid body-of-work. I have no problem with him winning album of the year. Saw him maybe ten years ago and he put on a good show.
    I saw him at Lollapalooza in 1995. He was GREAT then. GREAT. One of the best shows I've ever seen, EVER. I lost track of him after that.

I played "Mellow Gold" over and over and over and over so much, I have it totally committed to memory.

Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    With all this controversy, I'm ashamed I lost track of Beck. I really have some buying and catching up to do.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    With all this controversy, I'm ashamed I lost track of Beck. I really have some buying and catching up to do.
    Sea Change is so fucking great. Off topic but The Golden Age is a masterful song...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Minus Mellowgold, Modern Guilt was my first beck album. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    not a big fan of the whole ross robinson baggy trousers shit but I think Diabolus in Musica was one of Slayer's best - certainly better than their latterday "we're still thrash, honest" stuff. In fact fuck it - it was their last proper good album

I like the odd track here and there from the rest & they're still great live but DIM is the last one which gets me pumped (by which I mean, I might stand up and nod a bit harder than usual) the way old slayer did

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Sea Change is so fucking great. Off topic but The Golden Age is a masterful song...

That's way too serious "country" for me, though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    not a big fan of the whole ross robinson baggy trousers shit but I think Diabolus in Musica was one of Slayer's best - certainly better than their latterday "we're still thrash, honest" stuff. In fact fuck it - it was their last proper good album

I like the odd track here and there from the rest & they're still great live but DIM is the last one which gets me pumped (by which I mean, I might stand up and nod a bit harder than usual) the way old slayer did
    Minus Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss, I always ALWAYS thought Divine Intervention was top notch fucking shit. Sex Murder Art, Killing Fields, Dittohead and 213 are incredibly good. Such a strong offering. I never liked Diabolus in Musica though no matter how many times I tried. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Not even God Hates Us All? That record kicks all kinds of arse.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I like them all but the 00s albums are hit and miss - make a best of and you've got a solid LP. Jihad is one of my all time favourites, feel very lucky to have seen that with the proper lineup (and oh my god that was nearly ten years ago... I feel so old)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Only facepalmed Prowler because of all the likes they got

Anyway, I love the Flaming Lips even though I think Wayne is a dickhead. Seen them twice and both shows were fantastic with totally different set lists.
    Feel free to Facepalm me for whatever reason you want. I'd probably deserve it, anyway

And I'm definitely not going to knock you for loving the Flaming Lips; I'm not that kind of asshole. You do your thing and rock it

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    There should always be a Jay-Z free version. Always.
    Otherwise it's just not fair.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    Feel free to Facepalm me for whatever reason you want. I'd probably deserve it, anyway

And I'm definitely not going to knock you for loving the Flaming Lips; I'm not that kind of asshole. You do your thing and rock it
    ***hugs***

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The Stone Roses are very overrated...

Don't get me wrong, i actually like the band, but i'm objective enough to say that most of their career is hype.
    "Stone Roses" is a good album with great tunes like "I wanna be adored" and "I am resurrection", but excluding those most of the album is plain "ok", great lyrics and good music but that's it, it's no "Unknown Pleasures" or "Dark Side of the Moon".
    "Second Coming" it's an average album with a couple of good songs but mostly forgettable.
    Outside that they have nothing, only guy that is interesting is Ian Brown (whose solo career is actually more interesting than his stuff with SR).
    I like them but i think they are so overhyped, they are an average band with good songs, that's it...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-26-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    The Stone Roses are very overrated...
    this is complicated. part of me agrees completely- aside from 'i wanna be adored' (the first bassline i learned, the song i lost my virginity to, and an all around cracking tune), the rest of the LP doesn't live up to that moment of perfection. there's lots to like on the record, but nothing really touches that opening song.

that said, and some may say this about the first suede record (a similarly hyped record that blew the lid off britpop, one that i absolutely believe DESERVES the heaps of praise as it's front-to-back perfect and is a pinnacle of british music IMO like the records you listed), it was a time and place thing... the stone roses tapped into a lot of things that were bubbling around in the underground for some time- including a lot of the twee/c86/jangle influences and married it with the whole madchester/rave thing. it was music to take drugs and fuck to, and unlike a lot of their madchester peers, stone roses had some great songs to back up the party vibes. the album was hugely influential to bands like primal scream, the charlatans, blur, etc.- a lot of sounds that would take over the mainstream.

in general, i kind of always felt madchester was overrated, but i'm coming around to happy mondays and mid-period primal scream...and i've always loved the charlatns. it's never going to be my favorite thing in the world, but it really hits the spot sometimes.

second coming sucks tho. but i don't think that's a controversial opinion.