Page 6 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    IMO Highway to Hell is absolutely rock solid & one of the best rock albums ever. not top ten material, but definitely top 25/50. The rest I can take or leave, but nonetheless they kept on cutting the odd amazing tune after Bon died (back in black, hells bells, thunderstruck, for those about to rock and so on)

but yep like Motorhead and Iron Maiden they are limited & you'd really have to be something of a nutter to buy more than 2 or 3 albums. Great live act, textbook stadium spectacle

I wouldn't have thought this a controversial opinion, but judging from what I've read here it might be - I like pretty much everything NIN has done. I think Sober, 2005 and onwards NIN is great. It's not the same as the early stuff, but then to be honest the early era lacks a few things going on now - live, TR just seems to have so much more energy.

I do see it as a different band in the way The Cure after Kiss me Kiss me is a different band, or New Order, sober Nick Cave, MM or PiL these days etc. I won't try and rationalise it too much, because I am a terrible fanboy.

But yeah, NIN stuff I don't like it pretty much limited to a few songs off With Teeth and Ghosts
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-14-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Oh, hey, and let's talk a little bit more about Pavement and how bad they suck. Here's The Fall without the danger or charisma, here's Sonic Youth without the musical know-how or sense of fearlessness. That this band is so widely revered has always made me feel like the victim of some huge, cosmic prank. You mean to tell me that you hear music in these stoners strangling their instruments? Are you fucking joking?
    Well, I totally didn't mean to like this post, but oops. Wish i could undo that actually, because I really disagree. Pavement were awesome, Crooked Rain is one of my favorite albums... And really, out of all the criticism you could throw their way, I just don't follow you on the charisma shot at all

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Never understood the appeal of Bjork. I flat out don't like her music.
    I dont like her and i don't respect her, i think she had the blessing to be with really good producers/musicians but she's flat, she thinks she can sell her music by being just "cute", i heard people call her "Bjerk" because her pretentious and ignorant attitude...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    sober Nick Cave
    speaking of which, i feel like i'm the only person in the world who can't stand the badseeds past abattoir blues/lyre of orpheus. hate grinderman, and dig lazarus dig while boasting a few decent tracks, didn't do much for me, especially given the amount of critical fapping.

like many of you and the trent/moulder thing, i could do without the nick cave/warren ellis bromance that's dominated his work for ages, especially when ellis is no longer playing violin (a role i thought he was amazing at on boatman's call, no more shall we part, and obv. dirty three).
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-14-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    he thinks she can sell her music by being just "cute"
    She doesn't do that anymore. It stopped when her stalker tried to kill her. I think she realized the crazies that it attracts.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't like any Nick Cave that I've heard. His music seems so bland. I don't get what people see in him.

I like Bjork's Debut and some tracks off Post, and then I lost interest. Army of Me is a great song. Helmet covered it. Isobel is also a great song, remixed, among others, by Carcass.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Matt Johnson of The The is the most underrated British musician ever.
    Agree. Followed by Raymond Watts. Pig's Sinsation is one of my favourite industrial albums of all time.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 05-14-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Beastie Boys are(were) the best rappers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, I totally didn't mean to like this post, but oops. Wish i could undo that actually, because I really disagree. Pavement were awesome, Crooked Rain is one of my favorite albums... And really, out of all the criticism you could throw their way, I just don't follow you on the charisma shot at all
    Yeah, it's the different strokes thing coming out strongly. A lot of my friends and some of my favourite music writers are big Pavement fans, and my dislike is so strong and immovable that it feels genetically hardwired, like how certain people taste cilantro as soap. I've tried, I really have. I own Slanted on vinyl and have had friends play their other records for me, and it all just sounds like an ugly, unmelodic mess. I don't see any charisma in Malkmus, he reminds me of a less unhappy, better-educated version of Trent from the old TV show Daria. To his credit, he's aged well. Good for you if you like 'em. Apparently, there's a lot of worth there, but I don't think I'll ever see it for myself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    speaking of which, i feel like i'm the only person in the world who can't stand the badseeds past abattoir blues/lyre of orpheus. hate grinderman, and dig lazarus dig while boasting a few decent tracks, didn't do much for me, especially given the amount of critical fapping.
    Nope, I'm right there with you. Grinderman has one song I don't totally hate, the rest of everything after Lyre/Abbatoir ​reminds me of everything that's silly and contrived about latter-day Tim Burton.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    that's a perfect analogy. i was so enticed by the grinderman project- how they were namechecking the raw days of the birthday party and getting back to the nitty gritty side of things. unfortunately, the end result was a bunch of borrowed garage riffs from 50 years ago coupled with the sexual innuendos you'd expect from a 14 year old with a decent SAT vocab. unfortunately, dig lazarus dig, while better, didn't change the sound template much, just had better subject matter.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    well, to be fair, he's only put out one Bad Seeds album since Lyre/Abbatoir... and the live show for Dig Lazarus Dig was awesome, even if the album doesn't do much for me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Best part about Nick Cave is his voice. I want that voice. It sounds like the voice of a man who killed someone in cold blood, left them for dead and didn't give a shit. It fits the concept of Murder Ballads perfectly.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I didn't, and still don't, like The Band. At all. Bleh.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I enjoy Grinderman's first album (second ranges from meh to okay) and Dig Lazarus Dig! is up there with Your Funeral... My Trial and From Her to Eternity IMHO, so will have to respectfully disagree with the above Cave opinions.

As for Pavement, I recently bought the deluxe edition CDs of all their albums on a whim and am slowly working my way through. They've got some great tracks, but I don't have a solid opinion either way on them yet.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Sebadoh > Dinosaur Jr.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I wouldn't have thought this a controversial opinion, but judging from what I've read here it might be - I like pretty much everything NIN has done. I think Sober, 2005 and onwards NIN is great. It's not the same as the early stuff, but then to be honest the early era lacks a few things going on now - live, TR just seems to have so much more energy.
    I'll agree with this. With Teeth is the album that got me into NIN and Year Zero and The Slip sound great to these ears.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Sebadoh > Dinosaur Jr.

....anyway

One evening i realised that piggy by NIN is more or less the same as an older song... But it escapes me. Answers on a postcard
    Reznor has his moments of questionable plagiarism. "A Warm Place" is basically a cover of "Crystal Japan" by David Bowie, and I was shocked when I first heard Getting Smaller... I wonder if he was consciously aping "Planet of Sound" by The Pixies, or if it was completely unintentional. Either way, it's really bad how close they are.

Also, since Wire is getting their fair shake in here, I might as well say that "Beside You in Time" owes quite a bit to the Wire song "Mr Marx's Table."

!
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-15-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Sting said:

I don't think there's very much original in what I do. In pop music, there's no such thing as composition. We collate from pre-existing tropes and then the originality comes in the interpretation.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Thunderstruck is an awesome song, I do say. That beginning is fucking epic.
    It's ten times more epic on that live album I linked to; it blows the studio version completely out of the water.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Sting said: I don't think there's very much original in what I do. In pop music, there's no such thing as composition. We collate from pre-existing tropes and then the originality comes in the interpretation.
    To be fair, that's a far cry from covering a song and not giving credit (Crystal Japan/A Warm Place)

Also, while I'm in this thread, let me say fuck The Police

and one reason why Daft Punk is overrated as all hell:

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    and one reason why Daft Punk is overrated as all hell:

Because they sample? Do you know how many artists and bands have sampled from other artists and bands (including our own Nine Inch Nails)? Sampling is such a common occurrence in music. I don't see how you could single out Daft Punk for doing it and not other musicians. Besides, techno and hip hop are two genres of music that THRIVE on sampling. Sampling also can act as a gateway to other music, so I don't see the issue here.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Because they sample? Do you know how many artists and bands have sampled from other artists and bands (including our own Nine Inch Nails)? Sampling is such a common occurrence in music. I don't see how you could single out Daft Punk for doing it and not other musicians. Besides, techno and hip hop are two genres of music that THRIVE on sampling. Sampling also can act as a gateway to other music, so I don't see the issue here.
    I have no problem with sampling, I have an issue with taking a song, changing practically nothing, and then calling it a new song.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Also, while I'm in this thread, let me say fuck The Police
    I 'd pay to fuck Sting. But I wouldn't fuck the Police.

Tori Amos: LOVED "Little Earthquakes." Hate absolutely everything after that. I can't understand what the fuck she's talking about on any album after L.E. The lyrics require a decoder guide book.

I hate REM.

I hate Dire Straits.

I really only love the first three U2 albums.

I don't listen to any NIN albums made after TDS. Ever. (Remastered PHM is currently in my car CD player.)

I caught myself singing along, loudly, to old Bob Segar today (Live Bullet) and I still know all the words and I'm not ashamed to admit this. He started to really suck after Live Bullet, though.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Tori Amos: LOVED "Little Earthquakes." Hate absolutely everything after that. I can't understand what the fuck she's talking about on any album after L.E. The lyrics require a decoder guide book.
    I guess I'm the opposite there. I really like Boys for Pele, Under the Pink, and From the Choirgirl Hotel. Hate everything after that, and I don't care for the sentimentality of Little Earthquakes. It's one of the few examples where the general lyrical tone bothers the hell out of me. I guess I actually prefer obtuse and strange lyrics that are open to bizarre interpretation. I don't like listening to someone tell me about their feelings. I prefer emotional lyrical content to be something batshit

I also hate Dire Straits.

I'm also sick of hearing people tell me that Jethro Tull was actually a good band.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Billy Corgan has the WORST singing voice ever, whoever was the first mofo to tell him that he should sing in a band needs to be severely punished.

While their first album had some good bits, I think Radiohead is the single most overrated band on the planet. It just drives me insane, I suspect Thom Yorke might be fighting an extreme case of narcolepsy, because he always seem to be falling asleep mid-song. Snooze-fest. And don't even get me started on Coldplay!

As much as I want to like it, I just can't bring myself to accept How To Destroy Angels. I'm still not over just how mediocre the whole project turned out. And the closing song on the GWTDT soundtrack was embarrassing, I was in the theater with friends and I told them ahead of time that we'll sit through the end credits to listen to the music, and my heart sank because it was awful.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I understand the "radiohead are overrated" argument, but I don't understand the "Pablo Honey is their best album" thing. I refuse to believe that anyone has taste that bad, and I'd really appreciate it if you could just tell me that you were trolling.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    You is the best Radiohead song. Well, in my opinion of course.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    You is the best Radiohead song. Well, in my opinion of course.
    it's a great song, and so is Lurgee, but come on. Pablo Honey is not Radiohead's best album, it's their worst, and it's interesting, but really, come on.

also, I felt the need to defend my opinion that Tori Amos was actually fucking awesome. She was.

I have no idea what the fuck happened

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I understand the "radiohead are overrated" argument, but I don't understand the "Pablo Honey is their best album" thing. I refuse to believe that anyone has taste that bad, and I'd really appreciate it if you could just tell me that you were trolling.
    Well, I remember listening to that album when it came out, and I thought that it had a couple of decent rock/grunge moments, but I hoped that the band will pick up the tempo a bit because everything tended to be whiny and slow... And they moved in the total opposite direction. The talent is there, I just hate the type of music they ended up playing. Less rock, more whine.

But I apologize if my comments made it sound like Radiohead had a good album

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Geddy Lee's voice is like Billy Corgan being grabbed by the nuts.

I can't stand Neil Peart's percussion.

I don't get all the love for HTDA.

I can't stand Gary Newman.

Jethro Tull had a few good songs but the rest is just background music for one-hit bong sessions.

I don't understand the lyrics to any song on "In Utero."

Ditto for a lot of David Bowie songs.

I have no idea what the fuck happened
    ... to her accent. What the fuck is up with that? "Can" = "keeyaaaan." we had a funny ETS discussion about Tori's fake accent once and somebody typed "vaNEEEEELAAA" and it still makes me laugh.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2012 at 06:09 AM.