Page 5 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    i dont know you but in the born villain thread you came across as very snotty when talking to harry seaward (yep even though he should listen to an album of theirs before damning. But it is possible to be right and be a dick while you're at it),
    That guy said "The Beatles are overrated pop bullshit," despite having never listened to an album. That warrants a big "fuck you."

and quite frankly you don't know the score on the fact/opinion issue - that other guy was on a blatant troll, but he was right.
    Oh my god...
    That guy implied that saying something is "the best" is an objective statement! Jesus Christ... do we really have to go into this again? You have got to be kidding me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    AC/DC irritates the hell out of me. Shame I can't go a day without inadvertently hearing one of their songs somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Since putting down the drugs Primal Scream suck.
    Riot City Blues was almost universally derided (rightfully so, apart from "When the Bomb Drops" and a couple of other decent tracks) and Beautiful Future is fairly love-it-or-hate-it (I lean more toward the former myself), so not all that controversial really. Kevin Shields is back on board for the new album so it should be interesting despite the lack of chemical influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Wire were more important than the Sex Pistols.

House Music in the early 90's was better than Grunge.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Just drop the Beatles argument. The thread's intended to state controversial music opinions, not defend bands to the death. In the end, no one's opinion is going to change anyways.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    agreed about AC/DC. They can be fun in small doses, but it's so repetitive and it all bores the shit out of me on a whole.

And yeah, I also agree that Wire deserves way more love than they get. Their new album wasn't that bad either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Beach Boys > The Beatles

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    The Beach Boys > The Beatles
    Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever made, but other than that, what other album have they put out that even comes close?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately we'll never know the true impact that "Smile" would've had had it been completed and released in 67. That said I'm not a Beatles fan anyway, I have listened to them, enjoyed a song here and there, but would join the group who says they are overrated as hell.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    That said I'm not a Beatles fan anyway, I have listened to them, enjoyed a song here and there, but would join the group who says they are overrated as hell.

Well, that group is certainly in good company now

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    overrated:
    gang of four (a few good songs)
    radiohead (awesome thru hail to the thief, impossible to critique thanks to fan boy posturing)
    wilco (ugh)
    pavement (ugh ugh)
    animal collective (ugh ugh ugh)
    happy mondays

in my book, the beatles are obviously geniuses, but i'm pretty sick of hearing their songs. hate paul mccartney.
    PIL are far more important than the sex pistols. also agreed about wire > sex pistols, though i prefer chairs missing ---> send far more than pink flag.
    berlin-era bowie > glam bowie (love it all, prefer the alomar/davis/etc. run from young americans thru scary monsters)
    u2 were GREAT, i'd wager all the way through pop. it's when they started questioning themselves and making safe records that it became a shitshow.

i dunno, most of my controversial opinions are about the current crop of bullshit 80s nostalgia acts who blow up yet can't write a single song with all the production elements and gear they covet.
    fuck bands who can't/are horrible at playing live. stop using the punks of 30 years ago as an excuse as to why you can't play daddy's guitar to save your life.

also glad to see so much moz love, but unless i missed it, no appreciation for viva hate?

tom petty rules... great pop craftsman, as far as rock n' roll is concerned. i get so pumped by 'american girl' it's not even funny.

more later as i think of them.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    i prefer chairs missing ---> send far more than pink flag).
    Me too actually... I guess it would fall into the "controversial" category for me to say that Send is actually my favorite Wire album.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Don't Like At All:

The Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    AC/DC
    Oasis
    At The Drive In/Mars Volta/Sparta
    Animal Collective
    Sufjan Stevens
    pretty much ALL SKA/swing/rockabilly
    All things Danzig

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    If reznor got flood back on board for some production, things could get interesting again. although flood has bored me as of late as well...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I think I need to stop looking at this thread. Even when it comes to bands I don't care for, I would never blatantly make some of the venomous comments posted here about them. Makes no sense to me and makes people come across as ignorant and arrogant.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I dont think anyone's said anything that bad... ITT; people saying they dont like some bands and they like some others.

Wire are cool but god help me... I prefer elastica. I cant lie to myself

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Wire are cool but god help me... I prefer elastica. I cant lie to myself
    Well, ok, as long as you're willing to admit that they're a derivative rip off who deserved to be sued

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    As opposed to an underivative ripoff yep they totally deserved to get sued. They scabbed a stranglers melody too (as did the manics around that time). But i just prefer it. Same as dope show > brimful of asha. In fact we could have a whole thread on the cheekiness of rock bands over the years... Manson is probably the arch offender

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    As opposed to an underivative ripoff yep they totally deserved to get sued. They scabbed a stranglers melody too (as did the manics around that time). But i just prefer it. Same as dope show > brimful of asha. In fact we could have a whole thread on the cheekiness of rock bands over the years... Manson is probably the arch offender
    Well, Cornershop can't complain about Brimful of Asha given that it could be called a rip off of Summer Babe by Pavement

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    ...indeed! If i was twiggy i would have pretended i ripped off pavement instead

One evening i realised that piggy by NIN is more or less the same as an older song... But it escapes me. Answers on a postcard

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think I need to stop looking at this thread. Even when it comes to bands I don't care for, I would never blatantly make some of the venomous comments posted here about them. Makes no sense to me and makes people come across as ignorant and arrogant.
    This sub-forum's subtitle is "Your favorite band sucks" so I think this thread is in the spirit of that. It's wrong to have sacred cows, bands one isn't allowed to say anything bad about.
    Also, as someone else has pointed out, this thread has cultural exchange value: if I say "Tom Petty blows" and someone responds by saying "actually, he is an accomplished pop tunesmith" then maybe I'll be inspired to give Petty another go with new ears.

Other thoughts that have come to mind:

Static-X: very underrated band in the industrial metal genre. TBH I'd rather listen to them than Prong, Ministry, Rob Zombie or Rammstein, most of the time.

Celldweller: so underrated. I think he's the most interesting musician mixing metal and electronics in the last decade, but he plays to a tiny audience. Can't get arrested on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok this is fun.
    But if we are honest and don't give a fuck what others think of your musical taste it'll be not "controversial"
    Anyway.

Megadeth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Metallica

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Jim Morrison, awesome voice, sexy leather pants, awesome beard, terrible poet.

But, he made it work with the music.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    To each their own, but I don't agree at all. I think this thread serves loads of different, useful purposes. For one thing, it can be an awful lot of fun to purge some bile about acts that are, to you personally, unlistenable but are so much a part of pop culture that they're inescapable. For another, it makes for an enjoyable thought exercise to slaughter pop culture sacred cows like Joy Division, Pavement, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, or whatever your poison is. If you can be a bit objective about music you love, you might come away with a deeper appreciation for it through acknowledging its flaws. The reverse is true, as well - if you can force yourself to engage with music you've decided is crap, and have a talk with its fans and defenders, you might leave with one less Thing You Hate. I guess it's all attitude - if you come in here and see a lot of sniping and shit-talking, you're right. If you come in and see a bunch of hardcore music fans having a laugh and broadening their minds, you're right as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh, hey, and let's talk a little bit more about Pavement and how bad they suck. Here's The Fall without the danger or charisma, here's Sonic Youth without the musical know-how or sense of fearlessness. That this band is so widely revered has always made me feel like the victim of some huge, cosmic prank. You mean to tell me that you hear music in these stoners strangling their instruments? Are you fucking joking?
    Last edited by BlueCalx; 05-14-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    didn't mean to facepalm you there, bluecalx. i just got so excited about your post that i tried to hit like twice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    didn't mean to facepalm you there, bluecalx. i just got so excited about your post that i tried to hit like twice.
    ...and that, to me, is the greatest compliment. ^_^

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I totally agree, I hate Pavement, and Stephen Malkmus solo even more.
    And yet, and yet...Range Life is a good song.
    I think we need Kid Charlemagne in here to the rescue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    AC/DC is for kids.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooMeowChow View Post
    AC/DC is for Call Of Duty players.
    Fixed that for you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Man, no love for AC/DC, really? Yes, every single one of their albums has a collection of songs that all sound the same, but if you take one or two songs off each one you have this fucking masterpiece. If this album doesn't get your blood pumping you're Johnny Depp in a Tim Burton movie. I like AC/DC because they aren't pretentious or whiny, they're simple straight forward kickass rock. If you go in thinking they're poets, or not deep enough, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Thunderstruck is an awesome song, I do say. That beginning is fucking epic.