Page 24 of 191 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    She can take my money any time. How can you hate someone who arrives on stage in a Xenomorph-inspired dress while tied to the back of a unicorn?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    When Gaga kissed Bloomberg she lost me. At the height of OWS, when Bloomberg and the NYPD had spent the last couple of months beating the shit out of protesters in NYC, here multi-millionaire Gaga appeared to appoint herself the 1%'s bitch. She should have spat in his face, not given him her approval with a kiss. Whatever cred Gaga had built up of being on the right side of things went right down the toilet.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I haven't seen, nor will I give money to Gaga, but I'm willing to bet Watch the Throne shits all over it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    AHAHAHAHAHAH. AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, whatever.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    She can take my money any time. How can you hate someone who arrives on stage in a Xenomorph-inspired dress while tied to the back of a unicorn?
    What does her dress have to do with the music? Bad music is still bad, no matter how you present it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't think her music is bad at all. Granted, she's a bit of a shite lyricist but the melodies are good and it gets you dancing. I was stone-cold sober and yet I danced throughout like I'd had two bottles of vodka and a hell of a lot of coke.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Her music is OK, nothing revolutionary (or really even that interesting outside of catchiness) but I saw her show in London a few days back and it was truly staggering. It really was the most OTT spectacle I have seen in years... And very funny! Ultimately a huge part of rock n roll is showmanship, and she has it in spades. PS gaga never had any counter culture cred to lose.

The princess di song was a bad move though... I was surrounded by goth birds and gay blokes writhing in agony at the cringeworthiness... But tbh I felt it fit with the whole OTT coked up, tits out madness.

Also amazed at how well preserved the darkness were

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm still debating internally over whether I enjoyed Lady Starlight or not. The Darkness were good fun in Dublin, I must say.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Her music is OK, nothing revolutionary (or really even that interesting outside of catchiness) but I saw her show in London a few days back and it was truly staggering. It really was the most OTT spectacle I have seen in years... And very funny! Ultimately a huge part of rock n roll is showmanship, and she has it in spades. PS gaga never had any counter culture cred to lose.

The princess di song was a bad move though... I was surrounded by goth birds and gay blokes writhing in agony at the cringeworthiness... But tbh I felt it fit with the whole OTT coked up, tits out madness.

Also amazed at how well preserved the darkness were
    A good OTT show with actual music to back it up: Rammstein. I rest my case.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    BlueCalx played the race card! Sir, you've been trolled.
    Derf! BRoswell, I'm pretty sure I owe you an apology. I got so excited writing my earlier post that I forgot to actually read over what I said and ended up going totally into the red, having an honest-to-god Kanye West moment of my own. No matter how pissed off I get, I try hard to avoid stooping to name-calling. Making assumptions about age, class, and race based on lines of text written in haste on a forum tends to be a great way to look a fool. I know this. So, yeah, sorry for the craziness.

You did misread me, though. I wrote the first post without reading what you'd said regarding Kanye; I don't think you (or anyone else) are ignorant for disliking what Kanye West/Jay-Z get up to. Half of that Watch the Throne record was total duff, I know! I was referring to your original comment, "I'd take Saul Williams over most of the stuff that's labeled "hip hop" these days. His stuff at least has some semblance of heart and intelligence." Even disregarding West/Jay and their associated acts entirely, that statement is totally untrue. I got into trouble by making assumptions about you, and you're right, you probably don't need a cack-handed sermon from me about the breadth of the hip-hop genre, but I do maintain that a statement like that does indicate a degree of ignorance. I can think of so, so many artists, mainstream and obscure, current and classic, who are operating on a similar level to Saul Williams in terms of emotional resonance and intellectual firepower.

I've hung around this board and this fandom off and on for a while. I'm used to reading these awful comments from these well-meaning dorks who say things like "I don't normally like hip-hop at all, but by god, this Niggy Tardust album is all right, and if more hip-hop was like this I'd be a huge hip-hop listener!" That usually translates to "If more rappers bought rock-sounding beats from an artist I'm already completely in love with, stopped using regional slang, and annihilated most of the references to actual hip-hop culture in their music, I'd be a huge hip-hop listener!" That right there is some clownish shit. If that's not you, I shouldn't have barked at you. If it is, it still stands.
    Last edited by BlueCalx; 09-18-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    It depresses me to think about whether or not Kanye's behavior is all shtick, because it reminds me how much of the entertainment industry is based on selling you an idea. Sometimes I wish more artists were allowed to be real, rather than roped into false theatrics or caricatures of themselves. That said, he's a pretty interesting figure, and his music is great. Twisted Fantasy is one of the best albums I've ever heard, all the way through, full stop - it's rare to hear that these days.
    An interesting take, not sure if I agree with it or not. I think that Kanye could have had a public life more in tune with whatever his personality is if he'd wanted. His mentor was No I.D., one of the 'realest', or at least most unpretentious guys in the whole game. One of the earliest famous rappers he got to know personally was Common, who has been grasping at some rather embarrassing straws lately (his cowardly non-feud with Drake, of all people), but who for a very long time maintained a salt-of-the-earth, rap Bruce Springsteen persona. I think that what Kanye does in public is very carefully orchestrated. We see flashes of his more humane side from time to time. He gave Nicki Minaj's career a real shot in the arm by showcasing her on "Monster", turning her loose to rap circles around Jay, Rick Ross and himself. He's raised the profile of obscure greats like Pete Rock and the aforementioned No I.D., and used his industry clout to get post-Clipse Pusha T out of record company limbo and in front of a mic. I'm a big Kanye fan, to some extent an apologist - take what I say with an entire salt mine! - but I can't help being impressed when I see someone so fortunate share the wealth and spotlight, helping out a lot of talented people.

I grew up with pro wrestling, I always cheered for the bad guys. Kanye West, in private, seems like he might be a cool guy or at least a tolerable guy to hang around, but he doesn't make for a very compelling celebrity. He's a rap scholar and workaholic, in the studio 7 days a week at 6AM, interested in high-end fashion well beyond the pay grade of his audience and modern painters off the radar of people who aren't gallery curators or art critics. Snooze. For big, garish spectacles like the MTV VMAs, best to leave that guy at home with his books and his sweaters and invite the drugged madman who's likely to crash the stage, say something incomprehensible and take the starch out of the shirts of all the stuffy industry folks. It keeps him in the headlines, keeps the audience entertained, and allows for a neat divorce between the man's public and private life. If he ever wanted to, he could easily take six and come back as an older version of the backpacker dude from College Dropout. I like, though, that Kanye tempers his crowd-pleasing instincts with this spike of anger, entitlement, nastiness. It's interesting to see him live. He plays arenas full of people obviously enthralled by his music, but annoyed by "Kanye" himself. You're supposed to hate Kanye a little. Barack Obama, by all accounts a pretty smart dude, got it totally right when he talked about Kanye. "I like Kanye. He's a Chicago guy. Smart. He's very talented. He is a jackass, but talented." It's an interesting relationship for a performer and audience to share, much more fun to watch and participate in than your typical pop star pandering.
    Last edited by BlueCalx; 09-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Actually, when she finished the set with Scheisse, it was LOUD. Like, 90s industrial blaring all over the stadium. And I love Gaga and Rammstein equally.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't think this is news to anyone but Green Day is boring, overrated and repetitive

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I said that on twitter a few weeks ago and some fan got all agro on me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I would be mad too f i wore cheap mascara and listen to mediocre "punk", nothing personal against Billy Joe and Co, they just suck!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    But live they are great fun! I have seen Green Day in a small venue, and even if their music isn't your bag (as it isn't mine), they put on an incredibly entertaining show. Whether they have just one minute or all evening.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Different thing altogether... Watching pyro with a bunch of sweaty men, not quite the same night out

Maybe this is controversial, what's the big deal with rammstein? Mutter had a few good songs, but I felt that was the point where they got a bit dull... To my amazement, they got bigger and bigger after that

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Different thing altogether... Watching pyro with a bunch of sweaty men, not quite the same night out

Maybe this is controversial, what's the big deal with rammstein? Mutter had a few good songs, but I felt that was the point where they got a bit dull... To my amazement, they got bigger and bigger after that
    Yeah, I don't get it either. I never did. To me, they are KMFDM without the wit or the hooks. They have a couple real kickass fist-pumpers in their catalogue, of course, but their music is not the sort of thing you'd want to get too excited about around people you'd like to impress.

I remember hearing a story about David Lynch hearing Rammstein for the first time during the making of Lost Highway, falling instantly in love and buying everyone on set a copy of... Sehnsuct, was it? Or maybe the self-titled one. If memory serves, Lynch made T Rez bump Coil from theLost Highway OST in order to make room for a bunch of goddamn Rammstein.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

"I don't care for Nirvana."

Well, that may be a little harsh, but I certainly never though of them as the amazing be-all and end-all that everyone else did at the time. Sure, I've enjoyed some of their stuff, but it's not incredible. Also, if I never hear "Smells Like Teen Spirit" again, I'll be happy.

Same with Blur's "Song 2"...
    Last edited by Fixer808; 09-26-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    But live they are great fun! I have seen Green Day in a small venue, and even if their music isn't your bag (as it isn't mine), they put on an incredibly entertaining show. Whether they have just one minute or all evening.
    I understand what you say, im not big on the Hives but i saw them in a battle of the bands event in my hometown and it wasn't horrible, they were quite funny actually...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    And she laughed all the way to the bank.
    What's your point? She gets money for her shows? They all do

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Gaga's not that loaded apparently. Most of the profits go into the stage show. It takes 8 days - two weeks to construct her stage show at a venue, so I can imagine that's why tickets are that expensive.

Also, I think Nirvana blow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I don't think this is news to anyone but Green Day is boring, overrated and repetitive
    I used to like Green Day, then they forgot their biggest album was named "Dookie" and got all serious. American Idiot and everything thereafter are just awful. When you wear more eyeliner than a transvestite prostitute, you have zero credibility while talking politics.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    thats pretty much exactly how i feel...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Same with Blur's "Song 2"...
    I hate Blur. I hate Damon Albarn's fucking voice with such a seething, rotten passion. Everything he touches turns to absolute shit as soon as I hear his voice. It's irrational and probably makes no sense, but even that Massive Attack song he guested on was instantly horrible to me just because of his voice. I don't even know why I hate it so much! Normally this sort of vehement hatred is reserved for the worst of the worst, but Damon Albarn just really hits that spot for me, I guess.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If you hate damon, listen to stutter by elastica... I think the top rated comment on the youtube video is "best song about damon albarns erectile dysfunction"

Elastica were better than blur and suede!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I still think Crystal Castles sucks, but based on the two songs posted to the CC thread here, their sonic palette appaers to have made a turn for the pedestrian. They were at least a little more aurally interesting when they were ripping off chiptunes artists & sampling ADULT.When left to their own devices, they sound like mid-90s electronica rejects.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I thought the cc track with smith vocals on it was ok, but that might be because he had a lot of input to the mix. Saw them live twice as support for others, just don't get them. Not for me.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Crystal Castles... yea i NEVER saw the thrill there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Looks like it's hardly a controversy, then, at least here! Crystal Castles struck me at the very beginning as a 'gimmick first' band. They had a strong idea of what they wanted to look like and what they wanted to sound like, and they forgot to write any damned songs. Oh, bother. People said that ten years before about Elastica, but Crystal Castles make Elastica look like fucking Zep.

Clownboat
    , Christ, it's a pity about your Albarn aversion. Blur are so good! From Modern Life is Rubbish on, they have this unbelievably strong catalogue. They tried on a lot of different sounds during their run and managed to make the vast majority of them work. "Tender" is one of my favourite songs of all time, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to play on guitar. I can empathize, though. Ben Gibbard's voice makes me want to crawl right out of my skin, it's like an allergic reaction when I hear it.