Page 187 of 191 FirstFirst ... 87 137 177 185 186 187 188 189 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,610 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    are you referring to the "cat" albums when they were teenagers?
    Yeah they don't claim those albums
    It's pretty crazy.
    I'm sure it's happened before, but I can't think of another instance of a band actively trying so hard to distance themselves from their work, especially when it's multiple albums.
    @Jinsai , if you think CFH sounds like a different band, try Metal Magic or I Am the Night, from their glam metal era.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-29-2021 at 05:11 AM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Paul Simon's "Graceland" is the most overrated album ever made.

@elevinism, that song sounds like... I was going to say it sounds like "wet unusable cocaine" but then I realized there's ways to ingest and appreciate wet coke I guess, where this song is like... I really don't know. And the video where it's all "hahahaha, we're in an actual studio and we're silly!" is pretty oof.

Still not as bad as the video where Paul Simon is dancing around dad-rock style to Chevy Chase... and he keeps miserably wandering over and demonstrating his musical genius in front of Chevy Chase's goofy bullshit. Unless the real joke of that video is "neither of you are anywhere near as cool as you think you are"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-03-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Graceland is one of the first albums I listened to growing up, it was in my mom's vinyl collection. I loved that thing. I get that it's corny, but it was my formative years so I can't let go of that.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Graceland is one of the first albums I listened to growing up, it was in my mom's vinyl collection. I loved that thing. I get that it's corny, but it was my formative years so I can't let go of that.
    same. diamonds on the soles of her shoes instantly takes me back to riding in the backseat of my dad’s car laughing with my sister. we thought the concept of diamond soled shoes was hilarious. i love how music can inspired those type of memories.

my parents actually hated the album when they first heard it. they gave it to a neighbor and said keep it if you like it. she brought it back and then they decided they loved it so much we listened to it for years.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    So what do you guys think of this? I guess it happened a couple months ago, but I missed it:

Ticketmaster mogul Irving Azoff BOUGHT the Beach Boys. I don't mean he just bought their catalogue.

He bought their entire brand: names, likenesses, publishing, memorabilia revenue...someone who isn't the Beach Boys, now OWNS "The Beach Boys." Fucking nuts, right?

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Oh, btw: Paul Simon is overrated, as a person, too.
    My good friend's aunt Edie married him.

Edie is cool as hell and always invited us backstage, and is super friendly-always put us on the guest list and gave me signed memorabilia and shit: I mean, she KNEW it would be exciting for us, and we didn't have to ASK. Uncle Paul, on the other hand, thought he was WAY too good for his nephew and his nephew's little friends, and goes to great lengths to avoid not only his nephew's close friends, but his nephew HIMSELF, too. He wouldn't even give his nephew a plus one on the guest list for shows. The dude is arrogant and stingy to the point where it's fucking hilarious.
    I wanted so bad to tell him "motherfucker you're LUCKY we even know who you are. And you KIND of suck."
    But I didn't.

MOST of his music is stupidly overrated, which makes the whole thing funnier.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Disagree with all the Paul Simon bashing and "Graceland" is awesome.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh, btw: Paul Simon is overrated, as a person, too.
    My good friend's aunt Edie married him.

Edie is cool as hell and always invited us backstage, and is super friendly-always put us on the guest list and gave me signed memorabilia and shit: I mean, she KNEW it would be exciting for us, and we didn't have to ASK. Uncle Paul, on the other hand, thought he was WAY too good for his nephew and his nephew's little friends, and goes to great lengths to avoid not only his nephew's close friends, but his nephew HIMSELF, too. He wouldn't even give his nephew a plus one on the guest list for shows. The dude is arrogant and stingy to the point where it's fucking hilarious.
    I wanted so bad to tell him "motherfucker you're LUCKY we even know who you are. And you KIND of suck."
    But I didn't.

MOST of his music is stupidly overrated, which makes the whole thing funnier.
    are you talking about edie “what i am is what i am” brickell?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

A puppy becoming a dog is the perfect analogy about the industrial revolution. The answer was just too avant-garde for the questioner to understand.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    are you talking about edie “what i am is what i am” brickell?
    Yeah. She's from the Oak Cliff side of Dallas. (aka the rough side.)

She's REALLY sweet. Whenever i'd see her, when she was touring, she'd have some crazy giant paper mache sculpture thing backstage she was working on, and i'm talking, it had to have been carried in a fucking trailer or something. :P
    Kind of a strange lady, but she's SO sweet...again, unlike her husband.

Edit: oh, and, btw, i mean Edie hung out with us at HER shows, NOT Paul's.

I got a good Paul Simon story. J's Uncle Paul told him, when we were in high school, that he was gonna get him a keyboard for christmas, because J was interested in electronic music production and such.
    And he was EXCITED, like SUPER excited, for two or three months, dreaming about this bad ass keyboard he was imagining. Hell, it had ME excited. I couldn't wait to play guitar along with this, assumedly, professional quality keyboard.
    Christmas comes around, and J finally gets this amazing machine: and it was the cheapest, broke dick, $79 "beginner's special" keyboard you could buy.
    I'm not saying Paul OWED him anything, but, GOOD GOD. The dude is worth over a hundred million dollars, and this is his wife's sister's son.
    It REALLY felt like a mean joke or some half cocked life lesson.

he never asked the old man for SHIT after that, lolz.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-04-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @elevenism wait wait wait edie brickell is your AUNT!? holy shit!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    A puppy becoming a dog is the perfect analogy about the industrial revolution. The answer was just too avant-garde for the questioner to understand.
    Ten Reasons Billy Madison Was Secretly Smart (You'll Never Guess Number 4!)

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @elevenism wait wait wait edie brickell is your AUNT!? holy shit!
    NO no no, she's the aunt of one of my best friends. I'm calling him "Uncle Paul" in the story, mockingly, because he's the uncle of one of my best friends, and he's a real asshole
    I know Edie, but I'm not related to her.

Edit: I rewrote it so it would be more clear.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-04-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I have really tried to get Graceland and why people love it so much... but I think I've done this to myself. I've had "You Can Call Me Al" stuck in my head for days now, literally days, and this is war.

THIS SONG SUCKS. The synth lead is awful, that music video is the worst music video ever made... And it's all so much worse because everything about it should sound like it is completely my thing. Here's this pop folk musician trying to implement elements of "world music" into his production... This wasn't as groundbreaking of an idea as they made it out to be at the time, and his "I give a fuck" approach to the apartheid boycott is just strange. I guess I'm split on that last aspect of it, but it seems weirdly central to why the album is so celebrated.

And all of that is messed up for me because I actually should love this. I think Paul Simon wrote some amazing songs... but really there's probably about five songs I really could honestly tell you I really like a lot. And I actually really love Ladysmith Black Mambazo, so... I don't get what I'm missing here, but this album is NOT some super masterpiece, and The Myth of Fingerprints (featuring Los Lobos) was a song that was basically just STOLEN. But this is the controversial music opinions thread, and I'm just going to say it: Paul Simon IS OVERRATED, and he always has been.

There was this weird moment in time where all of the sensitive folk dad-rock fans joined hands and cried while some dude with curly locks sang "sail on silver girl..." but fuck this. And I guess this isn't a musical opinion, but Chevy Chase is the most unfunny comedian who ever tried their hand at comedy. He is just not funny... so really it just makes sense, seeing this dude with his dumb expressions being a goofy asshole while this obnoxious song plays and Paul Simon is like "it's funny cuz I'm short, but I can play the flute" or some shit... The best song on the album is Homeless, and that's because it's basically a Ladysmith Black Mambazo song that he had nothing to do with outside of re-using part of the motif in another song.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    you know why call me al is there! the record company was probably like “we don’t hear a single. we need a single.”

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @Jinsai , you're not gonna talk that way about Chevy Chase on MY watch.

But so, for real. I just searched "Paul Simon asshole" and found all sorts of stories.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-04-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    uh, no, just look up "chevy chase and community" and you'll see enough horror stories about how bitter he was and probably is. I mean there's a reason he was not invited to the table read last year.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    oh dude, Chevy is legendary for being one of the biggest assholes in the entertainment industry. He's disliked in comedy circles his whole life the same way Trump has been disliked in real estate. Apparently Bill Murray punched him at one point. How big of an asshole do you have to be to talk Bill Murray into punching you? Bill Murray really does seem like the most chill, perma-stoned dude on earth.

Anyway, on topic with me barfing all over Paul Simon... I just think this isn't anywhere near as interesting as other times white western musicians have been like "oooooh, these Africans sure do seem like musical people," and I'm not even saying that's necessarily how he was about it. Just saying that I think Simon's appreciation for South African music is pretty much equivalent to the soccer mom who bought those benedictine monk albums Chant and Chant 2 in the 90s. He didn't really give a shit. He just thought "woooo, that sounds neat, and I'm a multi millionaire that people can't stop calling a genius!"

So anyway... I hate Graceland and I think it's the most overrated music of all time. I am actually, right now, going to listen to it again, because I can't believe that I'm just "not getting it" this much.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-04-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    oh dude, Chevy is legendary for being one of the biggest assholes in the entertainment industry. He's disliked in comedy circles his whole life the same way Trump has been disliked in real estate.
    Yet, strangely enough, Edie did a thing with Chevy.

I never understood why she'd marry Paul Simon. She was a humble, sweet creature of Dallas. The guitar player for the New Bohemians, Carter, (rip,) was ALSo one of the most laid back people I've ever known in the local music scene. He played for a band called Sorta, and fronted his own band called Sparrows, and these were bands you could see by randomly wandering into a bar in Deep Ellum in the late 90s and early 00s. They both used to open for the 97s. He never said a goddamn WORD about playing in the New Bohemians, when working in these other bands.

Opposites attract? Idk.

I swear to god, though: Paul's own DAUGHTER is trying to make music, and to me, it goddamn sure doesn't look like he's helping her in any way.

Maybe some of these people only like other famous people?

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I swear to god, though: Paul's own DAUGHTER is trying to make music, and to me, it goddamn sure doesn't look like he's helping her in any way.

Maybe some of these people only like other famous people?
    Honestly, if you're Paul Simon's daughter, you don't need any further help to sell your music career. Ask that dude from The Wallflowers.... and his dad was like "oh no, I want nothing to do with you and your music stuff... you're on your own."

Yes, he was on his own, but his last name was Dylan... even though it was probably spelled Zimmerman on his drivers license. So we have now all heard his shitty cover of Heroes and know that song "One Headlight." Honestly, I have incredibly little sympathy for people who are crying about how they were born on third base with endless industry contacts and a famous last name... and they just can't seal the deal with their pop music act... bwhahaahahaha....
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-04-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Honestly, if you're Paul Simon's daughter, you don't need any further help to sell your music career. Ask that dude from The Wallflowers.... and his dad was like "oh no, I want nothing to do with you and your music stuff... you're on your own."

Yes, he was on his own, but his last name was Dylan... even though it was probably spelled Zimmerman on his drivers license. So we have now all heard his shitty cover of Heroes and know that song "One Headlight."
    One Headlight is pretty good. It ain't Bob Dylan. But, I like it.

It's kind of like that dude from Nirvana, who has the band, that sucks? You'd THINK they'd be better, but, sure enough, they suck.
    But, even they have that Everlong song.

Idk tho. The Simon kid's songs come across my Facebook feed now and then, and they sure don't have many views. I'd throw her SOME sort of bone if I were him.
    And she's better than her dad

He's probably jealous.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I don't hate Foo Fighters. I sure as hell don't like them. I would never spend money to see them in concert.... but that's because that sort of pop rock isn't my thing. I don't even know if it "sucks" so much as I just REALLY see nothing in it that appeals to me. But they're not offensive, and Dave is a really nice guy.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    - The Calling's signer's dad is a producer/director/studio owner. Sure, it's Puppet Master level stuff, but still. Shock of shocks, guess who lived next door to a record executive? Didn't mean a thing, that "Wherever You Will Go" song is humiliating.

- 14-year-old me didn't know he was Dylan's son when "6th Avenue Heartache" hit, just another band. There's some good days with that song back then through high school. The rest though? Yeah, the overplaying missiles were launched on those.

- Don't forget DOGSTAR!

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I don't hate Foo Fighters. I sure as hell don't like them. I would never spend money to see them in concert.... but that's because that sort of pop rock isn't my thing. I don't even know if it "sucks" so much as I just REALLY see nothing in it that appeals to me. But they're not offensive, and Dave is a really nice guy.
    Same. I don't hate them. It's just, I expected him to rock, coming from that pedigree.
    Dave's a nice guy. But he opted not to rock.

Except Everlong. I would pay him to sing Everlong to me. I'd give him like $10.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-04-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'd pay him $11 so he sings it to me first. I'm more of a "Hey, Johnny Park!" guy, and I could go without ever hearing "My Hero" or "Learn to Fly" again.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    "Blatant connections." Wicked Wisdom, 30 Seconds to Mars. The s/t is actually a decent little space-rock album, but then Leto went even farther up his own ass and believed he was THE rock star.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Leto is fucking GREAT... as an actor. Good old Jordan Catalano.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    - The Calling's signer's dad is a producer/director/studio owner. Sure, it's Puppet Master level stuff, but still. Shock of shocks, guess who lived next door to a record executive? Didn't mean a thing, that "Wherever You Will Go" song is humiliating.

- 14-year-old me didn't know he was Dylan's son when "6th Avenue Heartache" hit, just another band. There's some good days with that song back then through high school. The rest though? Yeah, the overplaying missiles were launched on those.

- Don't forget DOGSTAR!
    I mean Keanu at least tried to get them to focus on the music and not on him so it's kind of the opposite there. I've heard stories from people who went to festivals where they were playing and he was basically hiding on stage.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, it was literally the first celeb band that came to my head. How about 30 Odd Foot of Grunts instead?

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Speaking of Learning to Fly, I'm not so sure Dave didn't swipe that one from my favorite Dallas band

I thought it was the other way around until.recently. Plus, their guitar player is a self avowed Old 97s fan.

But yeah, @poinoup , My Hero is a station changer for me. It's not BAD. It's just, aggressively mediocre. It's what I'm AFRAID some of my own songs sound like to other people.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-04-2021 at 06:38 PM.