Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 167 168 169
Results 5,041 to 5,051 of 5051

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Cradle of Filth is excellent.

Spoiler: (joke doesn't work as well if I'm on a whole different page!)
    Last edited by allegate; 02-19-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Cradle of Filth is excellent.
    That's a fact. I give you a controversial opinion though: their albums before Damnation and a Day are meh with a few good songs here and there.

You know what? I'm going for broke: Thornography is awesome.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    That's a fact. I give you a controversial opinion though: their albums before Damnation and a Day are meh with a few good songs here and there.

Oooof, that is provocative. I raise you a Cruelty and the Beast is their opus, and ‘Twisted Nails of Faith’ is their strongest track. Happy to see another fan on here.

I really do need to investigate more of their recent stuff...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I jumped on with Midian (Cthulhu Dawn \m/), but Nymphetamine is just a work of art, just beautiful... and they'll never top that album's title. Thornography might be my #2. More accessible than other albums, it was a good starting point to get my friends into them. The Byronic Man with Ville from HIM is just tremendous... Hell, even the Heaven 17 cover is harmless fun.

Here's a good one: "Maybe You'll Be Brainwashed Too" by The New Radicals is a pretty damn good album, sans "You Get..."
    Last edited by poinoup; 02-21-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Their last two albums are some of their strongest and best post-Midian.

Hammer of the Witches and Cryptoriana are excellent. I hate that Schoolcraft recently left the band. She was my favorite female member CoF, from any era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure how much of a hot take this is outside of neofolk circles, but even ignoring the fact that the main guy behind it is a goddamn nazbol, (not that it should be ignored mind you, because ew) Death In June are fucking shite. Like, even if the politics weren't reprehensible, the music would still be really goddamn boring, and (less controversially) the disgusting reverance Douglas P has for fascism makes it even worse.

This also kinda goes for a lot of his work with Current 93 as well, while it was fine to quite good before if you ignored some of the sketchy people involved, imo their neofolk stuff didn't start getting really good until Thunder Perfect Mind, which is coincidentally 1) their last full length with Nazbol Doug, (iirc, I'm willing to be proven wrong on that tho, C93 have a huge discography, I might have missed something) 2) where Michael Cashmore started writing more of their stuff, and 3) where David Tibet literally wrote a (really good) diss track aimed at Douglas and started (rightfully) disavowing all of his bullshit. From what I know, this is less controversial, I just included it here to dunk on a nazbol some more.
    Last edited by RowanSomething; 02-21-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    explosions in the sky suck.

they're like if you took all of the creativity and innovation OUT of mogwai, godspeed, and mono, and threw the rest of the shit in a blender.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Look, I like Suga's work, but BTS need to stop releasing singles that lean on him to carry a melody (and then keep on doing it in performances). He's their weakest singer, so geez, write him parts that play to his strengths instead!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

they're like if you took all of the creativity and innovation OUT of mogwai, godspeed, and mono, and threw the rest of the shit in a blender.
    Lol, I like them but this is true. I feel they are very predictable in their songwriting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

Interesting you mention those three bands specifically. When it comes to post rock those are really the only three I ever connected with. Mogwai are the kings of the genre as far as I'm concerned. Godspeed is probably the most experimental, and Mono are the most underrated imo. I felt this exact same way after I tried getting into Explosions ITS. Felt like it just had no soul. I figured it was just me and maybe it just wasn't my thing so nice to see I'm not the only one.

When it comes to post rock, Young Team is still the album to beat for me after all these years. Fear Satan is one of my favorite tracks I've ever heard. Towards the end of the track when the guitar is replaced by the flute solo (played by a 13 year old no less) gliding over those drums, that is the highest point of post rock. Its just transcendent.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Interesting you mention those three bands specifically. When it comes to post rock those are really the only three I ever connected with. Mogwai are the kings of the genre as far as I'm concerned. Godspeed is probably the most experimental, and Mono are the most underrated imo. I felt this exact same way after I tried getting into Explosions ITS. Felt like it just had no soul. I figured it was just me and maybe it just wasn't my thing so nice to see I'm not the only one.

When it comes to post rock, Young Team is still the album to beat for me after all these years. Fear Satan is one of my favorite tracks I've ever heard. Towards the end of the track when the guitar is replaced by the flute solo (played by a 13 year old no less) gliding over those drums, that is the highest point of post rock. Its just transcendent.
    literally 100% agree with everything you just said.

young team isn't my FAVORITE but it's definitely a truly crowning achievement.

also, while godspeed is amazing, i prefer the emotional connection i get with A Silver Mt. Zion. i saw them live when they were touring on 13 Blues For 13 Moons and the show was one of the best i've ever attended. it felt like group therapy where everyone achieved catharsis, and you could feel it in the room.