Page 158 of 191 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,740 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    when one of them hits town
    What is this alien concept that you mention?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I like the Breeders about 1000 times more than the Pixies.

Pixies, to me, sort of feels like a half assed Breeders side project

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Pretty much every band I listen to has been influenced by them, but I really don't care about Fugazi or Fu Manchu. There will be a song or two I like, yes, but I just can't bring myself to get excited when one of them hits town or releases something new. Sorry.

Feel free to set my head straight though if you think that there is something I ABSOLUTELY need to hear or so.
    this podcast I was listening to brought this up: you can appreciate that something was first but you don't have to like it. Just because you're first doesn't mean you're good, just that you got the ball rolling and then it was improved and iterated upon by other bands.

It's something I have been struggling with for awhile. I mean I understand that The Cure of The Smiths are hugely influential but because I didn't grow up with either band I can't get into them at all.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I mean I understand that The Cure of The Smiths are hugely influential but because I didn't grow up with either band I can't get into them at all.
    Music is a atemporal, like what you like when you like it... just because you didn't grow up with the music doesn't mean much in my books.

"Oh, yeah, I didn't grow up listening to Mozart so I can't get into him at all..." sounds rather silly to me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Music is a atemporal, like what you like when you like it... just because you didn't grow up with the music doesn't mean much in my books.

"Oh, yeah, I didn't grow up listening to Mozart so I can't get into him at all..." sounds rather silly to me.
    mozart SUCKS

no seriously, i cannot stand mozart.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I like them equally, but Kim was clearly the secret weapon/hidden genius in the Pixies.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm just happy I live in a world where The Pixies AND The Breeders exist.

Spoiler: and The Amps.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'm just happy I live in a world where The Pixies AND The Breeders exist.

Spoiler: and The Amps.
    I guess...idk. Frank Black sort of gets on my nerves.
    I think the Deal sisters are better singers and songwriters.

Also, to me, they're more like, idk what to call it: punk/grunge/garage/experimental?

I feel like Last Splash is on par with Nevermind. They were doing THAT thing. They were FaR more similar to Nirvana, in the nineties, than,say, Pearl Jam, STP, AIC, or Soundgarden.

And I just fucking LOVE that aesthetic, and I love their voices. Frank is mediocre, to me.

But, several metric fucktons of my friends love the Pixies, and that's great.

Seal's first album is one of my all time favorites, and I ADORE Rasputina, so, Different Strokes to Rue the Whirl, I guess? Isn't that what people say?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I don't agree that the Pixies sound half assed but I do love The Breeders waaaaaay more

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

That's kind of like saying Star Trek: The Original Series is a half assed spin-off of The Next Generation.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    That's kind of like saying Star Trek: The Original Series is a half assed spin-off of The Next Generation.
    Hence its inclusion in this thread, o my brother: the aforementioned statement, I mean.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-08-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have a new respect for Jon Bon Jovi after listening to him on an episode of Brian Koppleman's podcast from a few years ago last night. It's removed from that sense of a begrudging respect knowing of his reputation as a nice guy and balancing that with any sort of humor I might have about what he did as a younger man, and into a more genuine appreciation for his perspective on everything within his world, and the outside world too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I have a new respect for Jon Bon Jovi after listening to him on an episode of Brian Koppleman's podcast from a few years ago last night. It's removed from that sense of a begrudging respect knowing of his reputation as a nice guy and balancing that with any sort of humor I might have about what he did as a younger man, and into a more genuine appreciation for his perspective on everything within his world, and the outside world too.
    yeah he genuinely seems like a good dude

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    He seems like a nice guy and I respect his charitable work. As far as his music goes, I could never get into Bon Jovi. I'd even take second and third-tier pop-metal acts like Winger and Faster Pusscat over them.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One really interesting story in that interview is about how he didn't really want to be lumped in with metal bands, preferring to be thought of with more pop-rock acts like Bryan Adams and The Cars. Some of their earliest stuff bears this out as I don't think of "Runaway" as a hair metal song at all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    One really interesting story in that interview is about how he didn't really want to be lumped in with metal bands, preferring to be thought of with more pop-rock acts like Bryan Adams and The Cars. Some of their earliest stuff bears this out as I don't think of "Runaway" as a hair metal song at all.
    "Runaway" isn't bad.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Mama Said is a top five Metallica song.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Load and Reload are good albums and have aged rather well when you think of all the mediocrity (Godsmack, Papa Roach) that was popular at the time.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I put the "The Outlaw Torn (Unencumbered by Manufacturing Restrictions Version)" version of the song in place of the one on the CD since mp3 players don't care how long a CD is.

I remember getting Load. I was a lifeguard for the summer in between high school and college and this was heavily anticipated. Had two or three people I worked with who were heavily into Metallica - way more than I ever was or have been - so when I got it I played it over the pool sound system. It wasn't great but it was loud. Which now that I read that sentence twice I could be talking about either the album or the sound system, huh.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Load and Reload are good albums and have aged rather well when you think of all the mediocrity (Godsmack, Papa Roach) that was popular at the time.
    That timeline is a tad off...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    You take the best songs off of each and put it into one album and it's better than the black album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    That timeline is a tad off...
    Yeah, but I still sort of see 1999/2000 as part of the Load/Reload-era (even with S&M, Garage), with St. Anger as the next major era.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    A friend played me a song by a band called Totemskin, where the song lasts for like 100 minutes featuring a melancholic breakdown in the middle with a girl (the lyrical self's ex-girl, I suppose) talking about their past relationship for what feels like 45 minutes. Then the shredding comes back in again with the singer sounding like Lord Krulos from the Dino Riders screaming something about hate and whatnot.

I gathered that it's basically a song about being left by your girl and then screaming all types of hateful stuff at her. I'm baffled by this concept and the musical choices. Fuck that song.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    A friend played me a song by a band called Totemskin, where the song lasts for like 100 minutes featuring a melancholic breakdown in the middle with a girl (the lyrical self's ex-girl, I suppose) talking about their past relationship for what feels like 45 minutes. Then the shredding comes back in again with the singer sounding like Lord Krulos from the Dino Riders screaming something about hate and whatnot.

I gathered that it's basically a song about being left by your girl and then screaming all types of hateful stuff at her. I'm baffled by this concept and the musical choices. Fuck that song.
    i thought you were being serious about the song being 100 minutes long and i just spent several minutes trying to find it in their discography. i've never heard them but at least one of their albums was put out by a (now defunct) label run by a really nice person, so i'm surprised that they seem to have such misogynistic leanings as you've described. what's the name of the song?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yeah I don't meant to portray them as misogynistic. The way that part is delivered just made it sound like a self righteous attempt at dealing with the end of a relationship. That's what bothered me.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Judas Priest lyrics are waaaaay better than Fleetwood Mac lyrics.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Judas Priest lyrics are waaaaay better than Fleetwood Mac lyrics.
    what about when judas priest covers fleetwood mac?

(i agree with you, btw)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what about when judas priest covers fleetwood mac?

(i agree with you, btw)
    Then they, like Fleetwood Mac themselves, will rely more on the performance than the lyrical depth... which is fine. I mean, people seem to quite like Fleetwood Mac (but I do now wonder about the intoxication of the crowds watching them in the 70s)....

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Then they, like Fleetwood Mac themselves, will rely more on the performance than the lyrical depth... which is fine. I mean, people seem to quite like Fleetwood Mac (but I do now wonder about the intoxication of the crowds watching them in the 70s)....
    the first several times i heard "the green manalishi..." i had no idea it was a cover, nor did i have any idea that fleetwood mac existed in a form without buckingham & nicks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This song is awesome. It's just too much fun not to like.