Page 12 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not alone! I hate the praise, attention and grief he has taken due to the success of Somebody I Used To Know. It's a good song, yeah, but he's been around for years and now everyone is hating or loving on him for that song even though he's been in the business for sometime. I've been a fan since 2009, Imma pissed haha.
    I have a friend at work who totally hated the rest of that album. I think people would like it a lot more if they'd just skip Somebody I used to Know. To me the rest of the record kind of sounds like something Beck would do if he was a better singer..

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ^^ See, I think Somebody I Used To Know (which, thankfully, I've not personally experienced it being overplayed) is brilliant...and it fits the album just fine (which I've never thought as of Beck-y, but I can see that enough). I really enjoy "Eyes Wide Open." With the main focus on the vocal performance. It's just infectious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Interesting, because I'm not sure what I would have said about the subject.

I guess if I found myself liking a Nickelback song, I would feel really lame. Luckily, I never have.
    Well, you disagreed with whatever I was saying back then. That's all. Oh well. Cheers.

///

With the exception of Another Space Song...(uh oh...that's right...eeeeeek...erm)...FANTASTIC PLANET IS STEWPID.
    Last edited by Amaro; 05-21-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not alone! I hate the praise, attention and grief he has taken due to the success of Somebody I Used To Know. It's a good song, yeah, but he's been around for years and now everyone is hating or loving on him for that song even though he's been in the business for sometime. I've been a fan since 2009, Imma pissed haha.
    '05 or '06 here haha. Don't really count myself as a fan, though I thought "Thanks for Your Time" was pretty nifty back in the day. I think most of the annoyance at "Somebody..." is directed (rightfully so) at it being overplayed to hell. Seriously, for the latter half of last year I reckon I unwittingly heard it twice a day at least. I guess living in its home country doesn't help matters...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Mark Lanegan: his solo output doesn't come close to his Screaming Trees material. I find his voice sounds lost without them.

Ke$ha: I love her, she's awesome. I find her music far more enjoyable and genuine than that of her contemporaries: Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry. I hope she doesn't fuck with the formula too much on her next album.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Wow, the Marley hate is fascinating!
    this is the first time I've ever seen Marley hate, but I'm admittedly (obviously, duh) from a few generations before those around here.

for my generation, Marley represents a hell of a lot more than smoking pot.

this song still makes me cry:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This can't be controversial (it couldn't be) but anyone who spells their stage name with a "$" deserves $hit.

... to think of it, "$hit" is not a bad moniker, at all.
    Last edited by hobochic; 05-21-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    '05 or '06 here haha. Don't really count myself as a fan, though I thought "Thanks for Your Time" was pretty nifty back in the day. I think most of the annoyance at "Somebody..." is directed (rightfully so) at it being overplayed to hell. Seriously, for the latter half of last year I reckon I unwittingly heard it twice a day at least. I guess living in its home country doesn't help matters...
    I liked the song, and I like some of his earlier stuff, but Belgian radios have been playing Somebody ad nauseam, completely ruining it for me.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Listening to music last night...

Ten was/is the only good album Pearl Jam has ever released.

I like a handful of songs from every album but as far as quality and consistency goes, Ten is all.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Listening to music last night...

Ten was/is the only good album Pearl Jam has ever released.

I like a handful of songs from every album but as far as quality and consistency goes, Ten is all.
    I don't really like Pearl Jam, but Vitology and the second album are way better than Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    this is the first time I've ever seen Marley hate, but I'm admittedly (obviously, duh) from a few generations before those around here.

for my generation, Marley represents a hell of a lot more than smoking pot.
    Good to see someone else on here who isn't bashing Bob Marley. I thought that tangent was really bizarre. I thought everyone at least "sorta liked" Bob Marley.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I didn't even know it was possible not to like Bob Marley.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't really like Pearl Jam, but Vitology and the second album are way better than Ten.
    I like some of the songs on "Vs." but otherwise my favorite Pearl Jam album (probably still one of my favorite albums, period) will always be "Ten." But I'm from the 70s, the era of album rock, concept albums and stadium rock, and I don't think you can get more 70s stadium concept album rock than "Ten."

Then Eddie went to the weird Tori Amos lyrics school and I never understood what the fuck he was talking about. I still don't understand wtf he's talking about on some of "Ten" but it was such a cohesive album, musically, and thematically (that whole "Trilogy" of Eddie's tragic childhood ... I know way more about Eddie Vedder than I should) made it okay, anyway, even though I don't know wtf "all five horizons revolved around her soul" means.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-21-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    ***WHOOPSIE*** Double post

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Thanks for that. Has anyone ever told you that you could probably do standup?

Yep. and I was just saying to myself the other day... "boy, if one more person tells me I should do standup, I'll book a tour"

so thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    John Martyn was better than Bob Dylan.

Last edited by Highly Psychological; 05-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I think what Bob Marley means to my generation is completely different that what he meant to others in the past. He's sort of this ambassador of pot smoking and good times, and the same people who listen to him are into 311, DMB and bro rock and it takes away from what he truly meant, So yeah, I'm an idiot for associating him with the bros, but at the same time I've never been able to get into him either. I do own Legend and Exodus, but I still fail to see what puts him in the conversation of a great, not good artist.

As for Pearl Jam, I'm not a huge fan of Ten despite them being one of my favorite bands of all time, but I think Vs. and Vitalogy are awesome albums. No Code is probably my favorite, Yield is arguably their best from a musical standpoint, and I even thought their self-titled one was the best thing they'd done in years.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Radiohead are just average to me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    As is Gary Numan to me. I get what he's done, etc. etc. but I can still stand about 4 minutes of listening to it before I'm bored out of my skull for some reason.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I think The Black Keys are very overrated, i understand the success of the new CD because of their more commercial "rocking" singles but i find it as nothing new/special, how they are headliners or anything i'll never now, they are just an average band with good album covers...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I also don't get the hoopla around The Black Keys to be honest.

I also do not get the praise the band Sleigh Bells gets. They fucking suck on a level that's just offensive to my being.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Gary ruined all the "Metal" versions of NIN+Numan live. He's so shitty.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm pretty much in agreement with the past like, five posts. Again, I acknowledge WHY people love Gary Numan and to say he's not talented would make me an idiot, it's just soooooo borrrrring to me. My friend showed me a video of him singing Down In The Park from like 1980 or something and he's just slowly rolling around in this big car thing. I'm like 'This is terrible' lol.

Also in the Black Keys Are Overrated camp. Just another Pitchfork hype artist that just happened to randomly catch on. And Sleigh Bells....holyyyyy shit.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, I think Gary Numan is awesome. He also has some of the most hilariously bad cover art ever. You gotta love it (or not, I guess).

Maybe if you're willing to give him another shot, check out the Hybrid (remix) album. It's pretty great.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-23-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I didn't even know it was possible not to like Bob Marley.
    Bob Marley died before my generation was born. We never got to experience his impact as it happened and never got to hear a new Bob Marley record. By the time I was old enough start discovering music for myself, he was already nothing but a commodity with a small catalog whose face was emblazoned on the tee shirts of hundreds of thousands of dipshit college freshmen who think that all of the world's problems can be solved by legalizing pot.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    Bob Marley died before my generation was born. We never got to experience his impact as it happened and never got to hear a new Bob Marley record. By the time I was old enough start discovering music for myself, he was already nothing but a commodity with a small catalog whose face was emblazoned on the tee shirts of hundreds of thousands of dipshit college freshmen who think that all of the world's problems can be solved by legalizing pot.
    Bingo, but I still think he's just average.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    There wasn't any "impact" of Bob Marley when Bob Marley was alive and making records, unless you were totally into Reggae. That same thing goes for today. But, he also wrote some good protest songs, which got a lot of attention back when Jamaicans were being treated like shit (well, more shitty than they are right now). if you're a Reggae aficionado and you're judging Marley's music from that perspective, that's one thing. But if you hate Reggae (or know nothing about it), then saying you don't get Bob Marley isn't very controversial. It's like me, who hates country music, saying I fucking hate country western music. BFD. That's not very controversial.

Kid Texan:

Do any of these idiots in your generation know anything about this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari_movement

Marley was smoking pot because it was part of his RELIGION. He wasn't some fucking frat bro party animal. What you're saying is, basically, that your generation is retarded.

They're all unwittingly walking around stating that they're following Haile Selassie.

We're fucking doomed.

well, I think Gary Numan is awesome. He also has some of the most hilariously bad cover art ever. You gotta love it (or not, I guess).
    I mostly hate him because of "Cars." There was a time when I swore if I heard "Cars" one more time on the fucking radio, I was gonna go shoot that sonofabitch. And, pretty much everything he does sounds like "Cars" to me.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-24-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Do any of these idiots in your generation know anything about this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari_movement

Marley was smoking pot because it was part of his RELIGION. He wasn't some fucking frat bro party animal. What you're saying is, basically, that your generation is retarded.
    Never said I was fond of my generation. I'm well aware of Rastafarians and what they stand for. However he's been used as a posterboy for the wrong reasons and is associated with smoking pot for no reason than "bro, this shit is tight to listen to when you're rollin'". You've made it well known that you're older than us and you were probably able to see the impact and know it first hand, but as someone who is in his early 20's and was born after the guy died, like almost every dead rock star, he's a poster boy for people who don't couldn't care less of what said star stands for unfortunately.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh, fuck you, really, Bob Marley was way the fuck older than me, I was young at that time, I was in fucking jr. high. Since when does one have to experience something "first hand" to get it?

I wasn't ALIVE during Chopin's time but I can certainly appreciate him. If someone hates classical, and says "you know, Chopin is overrated and he was way before my generation," then they're an idiot.

The Beatles BROKE UP by the time I got into them (no, I'm not THAT fucking old) but does that mean I can't "get" them?

Again, if what you say about your "generation" is true, maybe you're hanging with a particularly moronic version of your "generation."

I know one thing: If you said "Rastafarianism" in front of Bob Marley, he'd stab you in the face with a lit blunt.

Blaming Marley's music for some fucking stupid Texan bros walking around wearing Marley t-shirts is a really fucking stupid reason for not liking Marley's music. If you hate Reggae, fine. If you think Peter Tosh WAY the fuck rules over Marley, fine. If you own every Steel Pulse record and think they are far better than Marley, fine. But "I don't like Marley because some ignorant asshole dudes wear his face on t-shirts" is retarded.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-24-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I don't get particularly why you're being hostile. I have no opinion on Chopin or The Beatles. And look, I don't study any religion, Rastafari or not, I don't care personally what his beliefs are or if he'd stab me in the face (which I really doubt, because I'm led to believe he was a peaceful gentleman, unless that's all bullshit too). None of this changes the fact that I don't like his music and never have. Is my opinion biased because of what I associate his music with? Maybe, but at the same time I've tried very hard to get into it, both as a naive teenager and even now to listen to his music and I still fail to see what the big deal is. Just like I know every other dipshit stoner on campus has the same Pink Floyd poster with the album covers on the backs of women couldn't name an album other than DSotM or The Wall. Fact is I like Pink Floyd and I don't need to be high to enjoy it or be high to enjoy most of the music I listen to.

I'll be honest I probably don't "get" half of the music I listen to and I'll be the first to admit it, but I sure as hell know when I'm enjoying it. And I don't enjoy Bob Marley. I may not entirely "get" The Beatles, but I enjoy it. Do this, go to your nearest Junior College or dorm room, find a group of kids playing ultimate Frisbee or hacky-sack, ask if they like Bob Marley (chances are they'll say yes), ask a favorite song or album (this is where it gets dicey) and they'll probably dance around it or give you an obvious answer, then if you get that far, ask them if they get it and what their views on the culture as a whole are, I'm willing to bet and will almost guarantee you'll flip your shit to how ridiculous their answers will sound.

Once asked who her favorite artist was, Rhianna said it was Marley himself, when asked her favorite song, she said "they're all pretty good". Let's be honest, it's a bullshit answer and you and I both know she probably knows dick about him. I'll try to find the interview to further prove my point.

And calm down, I don't like his music and never have. I'm a huge Jimmy Cliff fan and don't hate Reggae at all. I just fail to see what's so great about his music that people like you feel they have to bitch and complain that I'm wrong and throw out stupid arguments for the sake of fighting (because that's all you seem to do when you have the slightest disagreement with me). I hate the fanbases for a good number of bands I like and that's never stopped me in the past. Radiohead are my favorite band, but fuck if I'll ever go back to reading atease. I don't hate him or his music, I don't think it's particularly good either. I love Phish and look at that fanbase, I'm willing to bet there's tons of crossover appeal to both bases. I'm not here to argue with you and I'm not going to try to derail this thread any further because I don't want to belabor the point because it was made several pages ago. I'll continue this elsewhere if you like, but excuse me for having a controversial OPINION in this thread.
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 05-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm from your generation Kid (25) and I fucking ADORE bob marley... Probably the first musician I ever loved, preceded my pot smoking. It also preceded any idea I had of Rastafarianism, or the political issues.

The man sung with FEELING... And when it comes down to it he's singing about peace and love that cross all generations.

If you don't like his music that's fine, but don't hate on it just because a bunch of retards like it.

EDIT: ok you just don't like his music, fair enough Bahahaha should probably remove that ism before I cop a blunt to the face, but kinda my point, my love is for his voice and the passion conveyed aside from the 'issues'
    Last edited by Minpin; 05-24-2012 at 12:50 AM.