Page 129 of 191 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I personally think "The Sound of White Noise" is Anthrax's best album hands down.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    I personally think "The Sound of White Noise" is Anthrax's best album hands down.
    Was listening to Sound of White Noise today. Great album. Kind of odd/sad that they had a top ten album with SOWN and the follow-up albums with Bush flopped. I was listening to Volume 8 today, and it's a damn good album. Glad to see them Crack the top ten this year with their new disc.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-01-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Sound of White Noise is def. more ambitious than their other material. It doesn't have the massive classics that the earlier material does, but that's more a product of their level of fame than the quality of the work.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Okay, I'm stupid. I don't get it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Also add - Anthrax are seriously underrated as a metal band. I could never get down with Metallica or Megadeth, and Slayer were generally awesome (not sure I listened to anything past Seasons) but Anthrax were always a more interesting band. I caught on around Persistence, so by the time I picked up the back catalogue it was pretty much over for Joey. I know some people think they chickened out by recording SOWN with a more 90s friendly 'alternative' sound, but damn if it didn't work. Absolute classic. It may have been less obviously METAL, but that suited me fine. When you're doing Joe Jackson and Public Enemy covers already, it wasn't really a huge leap. I reckon you could get a good compilation out of Stomp 442 and Volume 8 as they were a bit patchy on their own, but We've Come was a good step in the right direction. I was initially worried that Joey's return would be a cheap shot at getting the old magic back, and it does seem like there was still some tension in the band through recent years, but I have to say that For All Kings has won me over. They seem solid and the vibe is positive for the first time in a while, and when it comes to live performances I would take Joey over John any day.
    But yes - I do have a real fondness for the time with Bush. I'd dearly love to hear Only live again too.

Last edited by ChipRock; 11-02-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anybody else think it seems disrespectful to sell off Prince's back catalogue to UMG considering how anti record company he was and that he streamed his stuff on Tidal. However a less respectful side thinks, at least I'll be able to hear it on Spotify now
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/unive...witter_vulture

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is Beck having a midlife crisis or is this song ironic?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    i HATE that song so much and i just keep hearing it EVERYWHERE o.O

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Also add - Anthrax are seriously underrated as a metal band. I could never get down with Metallica or Megadeth, and Slayer were generally awesome (not sure I listened to anything past Seasons) but Anthrax were always a more interesting band. I caught on around Persistence, so by the time I picked up the back catalogue it was pretty much over for Joey. I know some people think they chickened out by recording SOWN with a more 90s friendly 'alternative' sound, but damn if it didn't work. Absolute classic. It may have been less obviously METAL, but that suited me fine. When you're doing Joe Jackson and Public Enemy covers already, it wasn't really a huge leap. I reckon you could get a good compilation out of Stomp 442 and Volume 8 as they were a bit patchy on their own, but We've Come was a good step in the right direction. I was initially worried that Joey's return would be a cheap shot at getting the old magic back, and it does seem like there was still some tension in the band through recent years, but I have to say that For All Kings has won me over. They seem solid and the vibe is positive for the first time in a while, and when it comes to live performances I would take Joey over John any day.
    But yes - I do have a real fondness for the time with Bush. I'd dearly love to hear Only live again too.

SOWN is their best album, imho.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I can't believe this is what he came up with after the awesome "Morning Phase"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I love pantera but of the Phil era, vulgar display and far beyond driven are my least favourite. I love the songs but only listen to live versions, the studio ones sound like Shit to me

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I love pantera but of the Phil era, vulgar display and far beyond driven are my least favourite. I love the songs but only listen to live versions, the studio ones sound like Shit to me
    Are the pre-Phil era albums ever going to be-released?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    The post from Sutekh can use some clarification. You do or do not like the Phil era? You're saying the production sucks, or ???...

Never cared for any live Pantera release, think it sounds like poo. Saw them twice ('94 and '96) and the sound was horrible as well- may have been the venues not helping though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I love the Phil era! I wouldn't say the production on vulgar and driven was incompetent, I just don't like it. The guitars sound like ass when he isn't soloing. The live album is probably my favourite release of theirs next to cfh, but then I like black metal and punk rock so my taste in production is weird
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Are the pre-Phil era albums ever going to be-released?
    I don't know but it's doubtful, vinnie seems to want to put it all behind him. Rex absolutely rinsed him in his book which seems like it would be a barrier to them cooperating, and according to his book dime and vins dad basically ripped them off for years (d&v didnt speak to him for most of the 90s), so if he's entangled that way it could complicate things. Wouldn't hold my breath

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Prince's estate are now suing Tidal over exclusive streaming rights which I think is very sad because it's obviously about money and against his wishes
    http://pitchfork.com/news/69591-prin...eaming-rights/

(But another part of me is thinking oh good they'll be put on Spotify now)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Jinsai;312841]the Prick song "Makebelieve" is not just the most under loved ballad of all time, it's maybe the best song "of its kind" I've ever heard. It's genius.

I came for the car and the vacuum, spinning my wheels into the void...

Man i am late to this party, bored at work and lurking around ETS...but yes this song is something special. There is something otherworldly about it and its one of the best closers of all time. There is no other song like it, the odd beats during the chorus, the lyrics, the part where he goes 'heaven is caaaalllling out"' (my favorite part). Its beautiful. That whole album man, that is the sound of my teens even more than any NIN or Tool album. Prick and Fantastic Planet. Everytime i listen to it i time travel. The album is perfect from start to finish. Just the bank of sounds used, very early to mid 90's NIN drum sounds and guitar sounds. The white noise distortion and the compressed air sounding snare drums....its just perfect. I love the songs that have a little breakdown in the middle thats so completely different from the rest of the song. The outro of Riverhead, the lyrics and vocal delivery throughout....i could go on about this album forever track by track. I think i might need to break this one down from start to finish. I remember it was a grower and took many listens to fully appreciate. Maybe because it is just kind of a 'weird' album. and for it only being like 10 tracks it seems longer. Yeah that album rules.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interested to see how people defend Kanye West saying he would have voted Trump
    http://pitchfork.com/news/69904-kany...social_twitter

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    The post from Sutekh can use some clarification. You do or do not like the Phil era? You're saying the production sucks, or ???...

Never cared for any live Pantera release, think it sounds like poo. Saw them twice ('94 and '96) and the sound was horrible as well- may have been the venues not helping though.
    venues sucked or Phil was high. This is 1992 but amazing quality:

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Neil Young's best album is Zuma.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I can't believe this is what he came up with after the awesome "Morning Phase"
    But how often has Beck done two albums in a row that were actually all that similar? He likes to change it up a lot. Would I be sad to hear another album that could be likened to MP? Hell no I wouldn't. But given how well he's done so many genres already, I'm not going to dismiss a future album of any kind based on one track (I know that's not what you're doing - I'm just saying that while I'm not a fan of Wow, I'm still eager to hear whatever the next album sounds like).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    But how often has Beck done two albums in a row that were actually all that similar? He likes to change it up a lot. Would I be sad to hear another album that could be likened to MP? Hell no I wouldn't. But given how well he's done so many genres already, I'm not going to dismiss a future album of any kind based on one track (I know that's not what you're doing - I'm just saying that while I'm not a fan of Wow, I'm still eager to hear whatever the next album sounds like).
    eh, i've been hearing another single off the new album in a different commercial than all the ones using WOW and this other song just sounds like really generic pop. there's no beck-esque-ness to it at all. if beck wants to go pop, that's fine (i like a lot of pop music) but it should still have something unique that makes it recognizable as beck other than his voice, and there doesn't seem to be anything like that in these songs. they sound like you could swap in any decent vocalist and you wouldn't be able to say "wait, why isn't beck singing?"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've never really managed to get into Tool, Marilyn Manson, APC or any of the various related groups. I haven't even managed to listen to ACSS all the way through. I quite liked what I heard, but get bored before the end.

Not so much a controversial opinion as a confession I guess.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    All RHCP abums pre-1989 (pre- Mother's Milk) suck.
    All RHCP abums since MM are awesome. Yes, all of them.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    True, the step he is taking is coherent with his career, but it's disappointing considering how high he set the bar, i get it's a different style, but the song is mediocre even for "Midnite Vultures" standards.
    But you are right, i can't judge for one track, and i will be checking the album, this guy always makes interesting music no matter what style...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    1. All RHCP abums pre-1989 (pre- Mother's Milk) suck.
    2. All RHCP abums since MM are awesome. Yes, all of them.
    I could get behind 1. 2. is a much more controversial opinion I guess. But you don't stipulate what you think of MM itself here!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Skid Row were awesome. Love the three Bach-era albums (they blow without him). Most people see them as a flash-in-the-pan, but I did really like them. Been reading Bach's autobiography, so it inspired me to listen to Skid Row for the first time in ages, some great songs, like "Quicksand Jesus" and "Slave to the Grind." As I approach 40, "I Remember You" resonates and has a special poignancy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    All RHCP abums pre-1989 (pre- Mother's Milk) suck.
    All RHCP abums since MM are awesome. Yes, all of them.
    All RHCP albums besides OHM suck. Doesnt that sound more controversial?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I really can't stand the Beach Boys. I hate that 'wah wah wah wah' vocal gibberish going on. It always sounds like it's being played on some tinny holiday camp speakers.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I really can't stand the Beach Boys. I hate that 'wah wah wah wah' vocal gibberish going on. It always sounds like it's being played on some tinny holiday camp speakers.
    The Beach Boys were brilliant, but their sound isn't "timeless." It evokes a specific period of time, and was highly influential at that time ("Pet Sounds" influenced THE BEATLES) but it's hard to listen to now without thinking you're in a time machine (which you are).

The below song, for instance, is brilliant for its time. I still love it (especially its use for the old HBO "Big Love" series).

edit: "Big Love" eventually changed their theme song to ("Home" by Engineers).
    Last edited by allegro; 01-01-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Beach Boys were brilliant, but their sound isn't "timeless." It evokes a specific period of time, and was highly influential at that time ("Pet Sounds" influenced THE BEATLES) but it's hard to listen to now without thinking you're in a time machine (which you are).

The below song, for instance, is brilliant for its time. I still love it (especially its use for the old HBO "Big Love" series).

I always hear people talking of how experimental Pet Sounds was but I haven't listened. I've heard them because my husband is into 50s/60s Americana so had mix tapes with the Beach Boys, Buddy Holly and whatever. I have to admit I could have mixed up the wah wah thing with another band