Page 103 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    That being said, I really dig Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (back when they were a blues band), but I really, really don't like them with Stevie Nicks. I can't say that she specifically "ruined" the band, but she did, along with the whole group in a purely democratic decision, help transition them into a new direction and sound that I just don't care for. Tusk was pretty boss, but that's about the only thing I've heard from them that I liked after the Peter Green era (also not to suggest that I have an encyclopedic knowledge of their whole catalog, but my dad loves all eras of them and I grew up with their music).
    I still contend that Rumours was a perfect pop album.

(Well, almost perfect. For best results you have to move Go Your Own Way to the spot between Oh Daddy and Gold Dust Woman, and put Silver Springs where GYOW was. Not that it's gonna help anyone who hates the album, but…)

Tusk is best understood as Lindsey Buckingham's first solo album with some bonus tracks from McVie and Nicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yup. Especially when it comes to NIN songs that are "overplayed" or too mainstream. Uhhhhm, why in the fuck doesn't said person just stop listening to the damn radio or turn something on other than MTV? For fucks sake it's not like it's elevator music playing in the doctors office where someone can't turn it off or run away from it.
    Oooo, I wanna doctor that plays NIN in the waiting room.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Oooo, I wanna doctor that plays NIN in the waiting room.
    "i am just a copy of a copy of your file
    every ailment you have had before"

that was TERRIBLE ugh

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Thank you! This is exactly how I feel and I didn't think there was anyone else out there who shared this opinion, given how much most people loved her last two albums. I, too, can appreciate her growth and change as an artist, but I can't get into the results. I'm really hoping the album she's making now will be something I can enjoy, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I will buy and listen to her new album, but yes, i'm not holding my breath also...
    Still even she can't undo those 6 first albums (every one of them awesome in their own way...), i don't expect her to record another "To Bring you my love", but at least something i want something i can get behind and not be "forced" to like...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think riff raff is a highly under rated musical genius

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qotsa_1992 View Post
    I think riff raff is a highly under rated musical genius
    I absolutely love Riff Raff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Grime was punker than any punk currently going

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sorry to bring up Radiohead's TKOL but i was in the camp that didnt like it. Gave it a listen again yest and 'little by little' is a GREAT song. Sleepy, but in a good way.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Modern hardcore music is incredibly obnoxious to me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Today i discovered i like (A Perfect Circle's) "The Thirteenth Step" so much better than "Mer de Noms"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I also didnt like the latest ministry (big shocker, right?), except for the opening track. But havent taken it off my ipod yet (only an 8G and its full so i need to take songs off to add new ones, stupid, i know) and a song comes on, 'change of luck', and its ok but then towards the end, the song changes, and its beautiful. The part where he actually sings instead of that horrible scream he's taken on the last few albums. 'your luck is gonna change, its gonna go from bad to strange.....'. That part. So awesome. Wish the whole song was like that. i want to loop that one part and listen to it over and over.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    small ipods sort the wheat from the chaff!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Today i discovered i like (A Perfect Circle's) "The Thirteenth Step" so much better than "Mer de Noms"
    I completely agree 100% and still don't see why so many seem to consider it "boring" or less than Mer de Noms is. Mer de Noms is fine but sounds like a first album, and even has some borderline generic rock moments; Thirteenth Step is incredibly gorgeous, MJK's vocals never sounded better than they do on The Package, the mixing is stellar, it's just such a strong record.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I always thought Thirteenth Step was better than Mer de Noms in every way. I also thought that was the general consensus amongst APC fans as well.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Most fans i know say that "Mer de Noms" is the masterpiece and "13th Step" the "minor" album, for years i would listen to both albums and like "Mer de Noms" better (i remeber loving how it was heavier during those years, i also related to the lyrics more), now i can see that "13th Step" is a better album in every way: better lyrics, better music, better concept; it didn't need to be "heavy".
    I remember hating "The Nurse who loved me" because the music (mellow and even silly), now i can see it's one of the best songs from the album.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Nurse Who Loved Me is one of the songs that made me love APC early on actually, gorgeous song.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The Nurse Who Loved Me is one of the songs that made me love APC early on actually, gorgeous song.
    Maynard's vocals in that song are awesome, i don't think he ever sang that way again (not even in the Puscifer albums), currently i'm listening to "eMotive", another overlooked album...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I always preferred the live arrangement better. And I thought it was a strange decision to put a 6-year-old, artsy cover song on such a highly anticipated album. Plus the original Failure version is absolute perfection (so it probably would have been better suited on eMotive).

As a whole, Thirteenth Step started out very strong, but there were definitely some low-points. Vanishing, Crimes, and Lullaby were all throwaways. But even Blue, A Stranger, and TNWLM are a bit drab in retrospect.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Nothing beats the original version though. So much better. The APC version is boring, imo, compared to the failure version. It just doesnt do anything. But im not a big APC fan so my opinion is skewed. Its like boring tool.

Except for- the package, judith and counting bodies (original included)
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 03-24-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Putting "The Nurse who loved me" in "eMotive" wouldn't have made any sense since it doesn't fit the "war" concept from that album, but i get what you mean...
    Last night i heard "eMotive" and it is a good album, but not as perfect as the first two, i don't know if this has to do with the fact that they are covers, or that the two original tracks are just "ok" (i do like "Passive", but considering this was supposed to be a Tapeworm "song", it's not as awesome as expected).
    I do love the "atmosphere" from that album and i appreciate it more now, than 10 years ago...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Flipper were better than The Birthday Party.
    i love both post punk bands.
    But Flippers 1981 debut album is a work of art. Blackest humour, such chaos, makes me feel crazy listening to it.
    Always thought Flipper were maligned somewhat or underrated.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    there are several songs that, when heard, make me so uncomfortable that i actually feel like i'm in physical pain.

examples:

free fallin' by tom petty
    pumped up kicks by foster the people

but the worst offender is birdland. i don't care that weather report (whom i normally like) wrote it. i don't care who's performing it, since it's a pretty standard jazz hit. i just care that i HATE THAT FUCKING SONG. it's so god damn HAPPY and it just gets under my skin and makes me want to throw up. o.O

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    there are several songs that, when heard, make me so uncomfortable that i actually feel like i'm in physical pain.

examples:

free fallin' by tom petty
    What's wrong with Tom Petty? (BTW, One of the very few times we might disagree, lol...)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Fucking I'm Yours by Jason fucking Mraz... but you probably remember me ranting about that diarrhea stain of a song a few times in here.

Don't Stop Fucking Believing. I've never liked Journey at all, but this song really is the prolapse cherry on the shit cake.

Sweet fucking Caroline. I'm not going to lie, I dig Neil Diamond, but that song... Jesus Christ. A lot of it probably has to do with bad karaoke and drunk wedding guests. Especially when they sing the horn part... I can't fucking stand that.

We Built This fucking City (On Rock & Roll), one of the least "Rock & Roll" songs I've ever been unfortunate enough to hear.

The Final fucking Countdown. I really shouldn't have to explain why this hurts my ears to hear.

Fucking Imagine. Listen, John, you use $100 bills as toilet paper, and you're lecturing us about how we're so dependent on material wealth and money that we can't imagine a life without excessive possessions? Remind me, how much were your apartment and that piano you wrote the song on?

That fucking Country version of Wish You Were Here. No. Just... no.

I Would fucking Do Anything For Fucking Love... I would do anything never to hear that song again.

The list could go on, but I'll just cut it off here.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Fucking I'm Yours by Jason fucking Mraz... but you probably remember me ranting about that diarrhea stain of a song a few times in here.

Don't Stop Fucking Believing. I've never liked Journey at all, but this song really is the prolapse cherry on the shit cake.

Sweet fucking Caroline. I'm not going to lie, I dig Neil Diamond, but that song... Jesus Christ. A lot of it probably has to do with bad karaoke and drunk wedding guests. Especially when they sing the horn part... I can't fucking stand that.

We Built This fucking City (On Rock & Roll), one of the least "Rock & Roll" songs I've ever been unfortunate enough to hear.

The Final fucking Countdown. I really shouldn't have to explain why this hurts my ears to hear.

Fucking Imagine. Listen, John, you use $100 bills as toilet paper, and you're lecturing us about how we're so dependent on material wealth and money that we can't imagine a life without excessive possessions? Remind me, how much were your apartment and that piano you wrote the song on?

That fucking Country version of Wish You Were Here. No. Just... no.

I Would fucking Do Anything For Fucking Love... I would do anything never to hear that song again.

The list could go on, but I'll just cut it off here.
    Oh, Prowler...where have you been all my life?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Grime was punker than any punk currently going
    Noise was the logical end to punk. The idea persists, but musically how can you get more punk than noise.

Besides it being plagiarism and an awful assault on the pleasant thing that is the Israel Kamakawio'ole version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World...

pretty sure that's not controversial... Everyone with ears hates "We Built this City."
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-28-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Blender Writer To Attempt Listening To ‘We Built This City’ 324 Times In 24 Hours

http://www.adweek.com/fishbowlny/ble...rs/4470?red=ny

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Noise was the logical end to punk. The idea persists, but musically how can you get more punk than noise.
    All depends on how you define punk - I totally agree that noise is one branch of the tree, but for me social commentary and acting as a voice for the disenfranchised is also a big element of it, mainstream hip hop has kind of failed in that respect, all conspicuous consumerism - far from being rebellious, it's now the boasts of the newly enfranchised. I see the bling bling MTV cribs designer clad rappers as out of touch dinosaurs in the same way Yes and Gong were on another planet to most people at the time of punk's birth. Grime brought it back down to earth with simple, raw music produced in garages and bedrooms, basically singing about how awful and bleak everything is. Also considered as a negative social influence, check, spawned a subculture check. The parallels are irresistible for me

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Is it controversial to like Awolnation?

Because I LOVE Awolnation.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Is it controversial to like Awolnation?

Because I LOVE Awolnation.
    what is awolnation? is that where misplaced owls live or something?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    what is awolnation? is that where misplaced owls live or something?
    Well, they like to sail. Do owls sail? I guess they can.

Last edited by tony.parente; 03-28-2015 at 08:48 AM.