Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Sober - However you got there, whatever keeps you here.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Today is 6 years with no alcohol.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    One question, does anyone who doesn't drink still have alcohol in their home?
    I don't, and it's not recommended. This is not like some fight when you have to prove how amazing you are, because weak moment can appear anytime and... is it worth it? Going out to buy something would take you some time to think "wait, what the hell am I doing..." But for me this is easy since I live alone.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My partner reminded me today that we'd passed my anniversary (April 1st) - seven years booze free.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Congrats! Had to reopen my app and saw that today is day 2,354 without a drink.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Sitting on 14 days no booze. Smoked some to help sleep first couple days otherwise it's not been terrible. When I get back home (pet sitting) im gonna start hitting meetings I think. Already rarely smoke the reefer not concerned about that. Seems like the right time and thing ti do. So when I post dumb shit no I've not been drinking, for better or worse.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Sitting on 14 days no booze. Smoked some to help sleep first couple days otherwise it's not been terrible. When I get back home (pet sitting) im gonna start hitting meetings I think. Already rarely smoke the reefer not concerned about that. Seems like the right time and thing ti do. So when I post dumb shit no I've not been drinking, for better or worse.
    Congrats!

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    i've been sober since september 10th. 138 days.

i've had to re-learn how to enjoy things without alcohol. music, video games, company. everything. i can almost recognize the guy i see in the mirror every morning. i lost close to 30 pounds -- and it seems i can eat whatever i want, as much as i want, without gaining.

watching a loved one i used to drink with every night die quickly from cirrhosis and stage five kidney disease is what got me here. and what's keeping me here.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i've been sober since september 10th. 138 days.

i've had to re-learn how to enjoy things without alcohol. music, video games, company. everything. i can almost recognize the guy i see in the mirror every morning. i lost close to 30 pounds -- and it seems i can eat whatever i want, as much as i want, without gaining.

watching a loved one i used to drink with every night die quickly from cirrhosis and stage five kidney disease is what got me here. and what's keeping me here.
    Re-learning how to do things is one of the trickier aspects of suddenly becoming sober. I'm glad you're handling it Congrats on 138

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    It's officially been 7 years since my last sip of alcohol. Fuck yes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Congratulations! 7 years is a long time! I hit a decade last November myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey hey! Congrats on the 7 years! How awesome!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I am on day 2.
    While I don't think I was problematic, I was routinely drinking more than the recommended amount on a daily basis. This COVID-19 has scared me straight, because alcohol depresses the immune system, and I don't want to become a statistic.

I'm hoping to clear 30 days, and then have 1/day only 3-4 days a week. The worst part is the pre-dinner time. I really miss having a martini.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I am on day 2.
    While I don't think I was problematic, I was routinely drinking more than the recommended amount on a daily basis. This COVID-19 has scared me straight, because alcohol depresses the immune system, and I don't want to become a statistic.

I'm hoping to clear 30 days, and then have 1/day only 3-4 days a week. The worst part is the pre-dinner time. I really miss having a martini.

When you make it to 30, might as well make it to 60 ��

How is everyone doing drink wise? Are you all holding up?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I guess right now I'll say I'm aiming for 30. I'll revisit things then.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I am on day 2.

One day at a time, man. Iíve been sober for a decade now and I still think about it. Especially during all this.

Trent did it! Trentís been sober since 2001.

Cliche as fuck sure, but one day at a time. Thatís how I did it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Four year anniversary sometime now (maybe March 22nd? not sure anymore), and I'm glad that if this pandemic had to happen, it happens when I'm "stable" enough to go through it without damage. Don't want to imagine what would happen with me drinking and working from home for several months before. What keeps me here? Too tired to go through that again. :-)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    How's everyone doing in here?

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexawiliams784 View Post
    Quitting drinking is easy
    apparently so is being an asshole Į\_(ツ)_/Į gtfo of here with that attitude

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexawiliams784 View Post
    Quitting drinking is easy
    Also, we make it look good

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    How's everyone doing in here?
    Great from a sobriety standpoint. How are you doing?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Great from a sobriety standpoint. How are you doing?
    I'm also doing OK. Thanks for asking

Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    I'm still trying REALLY hard to get used to this suboxone, after years and years of absurd amounts of fentanyl and oxycodone.

It's...
    It's just fucking weird. I just don't feel right.

I fucked up last month, ran out of sub and had a one day relapse.

So here I am, back at day...three.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Day three is perfectly fine!

I can't wait for you to hit day four

Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm still trying REALLY hard to get used to this suboxone, after years and years of absurd amounts of fentanyl and oxycodone.

It's...
    It's just fucking weird. I just don't feel right.

I fucked up last month, ran out of sub and had a one day relapse.

So here I am, back at day...three.
    ok, so: day 30

I've done this recovery thing before, but never with such a sustained use of such strong opiates. I can now admit that I've been on fentanyl and oxy or vicodin the entire time I've been on this iteration of the forum- some prescribed, some not, but always abused, up until I started trying to kick in Feb. I'm not going back, period.

The big book was my bible when I quit the suicidal drinking habit in my twenties, and I'm thinking I need some recovery now. I was in dallas, then, and had my choice of like 100 meetings, but there are none in this town. Back in the day, I visited some groups in nearby towns, and btw, that's how you have to do it if you wanna go everyday up here in the top of tx panhandle, ok panhandle, and eastern New Mexico: you might go to a meeting in tx on Friday and ok on Saturday, and a different little Texas town on sunday. Meetings are coordinated so a person can do that, so that the days don't conflict, as they are all weekly.
    Not sure if meetings are open yet, due to covid, but I really need some recovery, I think. I'm kind of white knuckling it, as they say.

Perhaps I could at least do some reading. I've never read the NA book.

But, yeah, 30 days, and I'm never getting caught up in that shit again. I am determined. No more Happiness in Slavery.

ALso, Good god: did anyone else relate heavily to Please while they were drinking or doing drugs? Especially with the alchohlism, it was "everything is clear, I erase the fear, I can disappear" and the " swim (sink?) until I drown" bit, JESUS.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    ok, so: day 30

I've done this recovery thing before, but never with such a sustained use of such strong opiates. I can now admit that I've been on fentanyl and oxy or vicodin the entire time I've been on this iteration of the forum- some prescribed, some not, but always abused, up until I started trying to kick in Feb. I'm not going back, period.

The big book was my bible when I quit the suicidal drinking habit in my twenties, and I'm thinking I need some recovery now. I was in dallas, then, and had my choice of like 100 meetings, but there are none in this town. Back in the day, I visited some groups in nearby towns, and btw, that's how you have to do it if you wanna go everyday up here in the top of tx panhandle, ok panhandle, and eastern New Mexico: you might go to a meeting in tx on Friday and ok on Saturday, and a different little Texas town on sunday. Meetings are coordinated so a person can do that, so that the days don't conflict, as they are all weekly.
    Not sure if meetings are open yet, due to covid, but I really need some recovery, I think. I'm kind of white knuckling it, as they say.

Perhaps I could at least do some reading. I've never read the NA book.

But, yeah, 30 days, and I'm never getting caught up in that shit again. I am determined. No more Happiness in Slavery.

ALso, Good god: did anyone else relate heavily to Please while they were drinking or doing drugs? Especially with the alchohlism, it was "everything is clear, I erase the fear, I can disappear" and the " swim (sink?) until I drown" bit, JESUS.
    Well done, you!

A friend of mine uses a thing called Narcotics Anonymous. I'm not sure if they're just UK based but they do Zoom meetings so people can still attend during lockdown. She says it's been a God send. Maybe you can look into them?