Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sober - However you got there, whatever keeps you here.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Sitting on 14 days no booze. Smoked some to help sleep first couple days otherwise it's not been terrible. When I get back home (pet sitting) im gonna start hitting meetings I think. Already rarely smoke the reefer not concerned about that. Seems like the right time and thing ti do. So when I post dumb shit no I've not been drinking, for better or worse.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Sitting on 14 days no booze. Smoked some to help sleep first couple days otherwise it's not been terrible. When I get back home (pet sitting) im gonna start hitting meetings I think. Already rarely smoke the reefer not concerned about that. Seems like the right time and thing ti do. So when I post dumb shit no I've not been drinking, for better or worse.
    Congrats!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i've been sober since september 10th. 138 days.

i've had to re-learn how to enjoy things without alcohol. music, video games, company. everything. i can almost recognize the guy i see in the mirror every morning. i lost close to 30 pounds -- and it seems i can eat whatever i want, as much as i want, without gaining.

watching a loved one i used to drink with every night die quickly from cirrhosis and stage five kidney disease is what got me here. and what's keeping me here.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i've been sober since september 10th. 138 days.

i've had to re-learn how to enjoy things without alcohol. music, video games, company. everything. i can almost recognize the guy i see in the mirror every morning. i lost close to 30 pounds -- and it seems i can eat whatever i want, as much as i want, without gaining.

watching a loved one i used to drink with every night die quickly from cirrhosis and stage five kidney disease is what got me here. and what's keeping me here.
    Re-learning how to do things is one of the trickier aspects of suddenly becoming sober. I'm glad you're handling it Congrats on 138

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    It's officially been 7 years since my last sip of alcohol. Fuck yes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Congratulations! 7 years is a long time! I hit a decade last November myself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hey hey! Congrats on the 7 years! How awesome!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I am on day 2.
    While I don't think I was problematic, I was routinely drinking more than the recommended amount on a daily basis. This COVID-19 has scared me straight, because alcohol depresses the immune system, and I don't want to become a statistic.

I'm hoping to clear 30 days, and then have 1/day only 3-4 days a week. The worst part is the pre-dinner time. I really miss having a martini.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I am on day 2.
    While I don't think I was problematic, I was routinely drinking more than the recommended amount on a daily basis. This COVID-19 has scared me straight, because alcohol depresses the immune system, and I don't want to become a statistic.

I'm hoping to clear 30 days, and then have 1/day only 3-4 days a week. The worst part is the pre-dinner time. I really miss having a martini.

When you make it to 30, might as well make it to 60 ��

How is everyone doing drink wise? Are you all holding up?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I guess right now I'll say I'm aiming for 30. I'll revisit things then.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I am on day 2.

One day at a time, man. I’ve been sober for a decade now and I still think about it. Especially during all this.

Trent did it! Trent’s been sober since 2001.

Cliche as fuck sure, but one day at a time. That’s how I did it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Four year anniversary sometime now (maybe March 22nd? not sure anymore), and I'm glad that if this pandemic had to happen, it happens when I'm "stable" enough to go through it without damage. Don't want to imagine what would happen with me drinking and working from home for several months before. What keeps me here? Too tired to go through that again. :-)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    How's everyone doing in here?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexawiliams784 View Post
    Quitting drinking is easy
    apparently so is being an asshole ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ gtfo of here with that attitude

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexawiliams784 View Post
    Quitting drinking is easy
    Also, we make it look good

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    How's everyone doing in here?
    Great from a sobriety standpoint. How are you doing?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Great from a sobriety standpoint. How are you doing?
    I'm also doing OK. Thanks for asking

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm still trying REALLY hard to get used to this suboxone, after years and years of absurd amounts of fentanyl and oxycodone.

It's...
    It's just fucking weird. I just don't feel right.

I fucked up last month, ran out of sub and had a one day relapse.

So here I am, back at day...three.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Day three is perfectly fine!

I can't wait for you to hit day four

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm still trying REALLY hard to get used to this suboxone, after years and years of absurd amounts of fentanyl and oxycodone.

It's...
    It's just fucking weird. I just don't feel right.

I fucked up last month, ran out of sub and had a one day relapse.

So here I am, back at day...three.
    ok, so: day 30

I've done this recovery thing before, but never with such a sustained use of such strong opiates. I can now admit that I've been on fentanyl and oxy or vicodin the entire time I've been on this iteration of the forum- some prescribed, some not, but always abused, up until I started trying to kick in Feb. I'm not going back, period.

The big book was my bible when I quit the suicidal drinking habit in my twenties, and I'm thinking I need some recovery now. I was in dallas, then, and had my choice of like 100 meetings, but there are none in this town. Back in the day, I visited some groups in nearby towns, and btw, that's how you have to do it if you wanna go everyday up here in the top of tx panhandle, ok panhandle, and eastern New Mexico: you might go to a meeting in tx on Friday and ok on Saturday, and a different little Texas town on sunday. Meetings are coordinated so a person can do that, so that the days don't conflict, as they are all weekly.
    Not sure if meetings are open yet, due to covid, but I really need some recovery, I think. I'm kind of white knuckling it, as they say.

Perhaps I could at least do some reading. I've never read the NA book.

But, yeah, 30 days, and I'm never getting caught up in that shit again. I am determined. No more Happiness in Slavery.

ALso, Good god: did anyone else relate heavily to Please while they were drinking or doing drugs? Especially with the alchohlism, it was "everything is clear, I erase the fear, I can disappear" and the " swim (sink?) until I drown" bit, JESUS.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ok, so: day 30

I've done this recovery thing before, but never with such a sustained use of such strong opiates. I can now admit that I've been on fentanyl and oxy or vicodin the entire time I've been on this iteration of the forum- some prescribed, some not, but always abused, up until I started trying to kick in Feb. I'm not going back, period.

The big book was my bible when I quit the suicidal drinking habit in my twenties, and I'm thinking I need some recovery now. I was in dallas, then, and had my choice of like 100 meetings, but there are none in this town. Back in the day, I visited some groups in nearby towns, and btw, that's how you have to do it if you wanna go everyday up here in the top of tx panhandle, ok panhandle, and eastern New Mexico: you might go to a meeting in tx on Friday and ok on Saturday, and a different little Texas town on sunday. Meetings are coordinated so a person can do that, so that the days don't conflict, as they are all weekly.
    Not sure if meetings are open yet, due to covid, but I really need some recovery, I think. I'm kind of white knuckling it, as they say.

Perhaps I could at least do some reading. I've never read the NA book.

But, yeah, 30 days, and I'm never getting caught up in that shit again. I am determined. No more Happiness in Slavery.

ALso, Good god: did anyone else relate heavily to Please while they were drinking or doing drugs? Especially with the alchohlism, it was "everything is clear, I erase the fear, I can disappear" and the " swim (sink?) until I drown" bit, JESUS.
    Well done, you!

A friend of mine uses a thing called Narcotics Anonymous. I'm not sure if they're just UK based but they do Zoom meetings so people can still attend during lockdown. She says it's been a God send. Maybe you can look into them?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Well done, you!

A friend of mine uses a thing called Narcotics Anonymous. I'm not sure if they're just UK based but they do Zoom meetings so people can still attend during lockdown. She says it's been a God send. Maybe you can look into them?
    Thanks!
    And, NA isn't just a UK thing. There are probably 10,000 US meetings. It's based on AA, which is basically Christianity without the Jesus and dogma and such. The AA teachings form, in fact, a large part of my convoluted Krisna/Christian spirituality.

Like AA, NA is KIND of a support group, but also, a spiritual programme of action, you know? It fucking saved my life when I was drinking myself to death. I made amends, I went around speaking at rehabs: the whole bit.
    It CHANGES you. Is almost like brainwashing, but, my brain needed washing.

Zoom is cool, but I need the fellowship, the talking in the parking lot, the going out after meetngs.

Sadly, I now live in one of the most remote regions in the us, as I stated.

But I'm gonna look into what meetings are within a 50 mile radius these days, and when they open.

Thanks, @GibbonBlack , for the props

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    @elevenism - how had the search for meetings been going? Any luck?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    @elevenism - how had the search for meetings been going? Any luck?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    my wife found some, but I've not gone yet, or checked to see if they're open.

I'm still thinking like an addict, and knowing my half measures will avail me nothing.

Tbh, I'm a little bit SCARED to actually work the steps again. I was always a "program of vigorous action" guy, who thought "meeting makers" were just addicted to meetings.

But, JESUS. I just reread the majority of the AA book, and my last fourth and fifth step were like ten years ago, and I just can't IMAGINE doing it again just yet.

I've worked the steps a few times, and always in like, a month. Maybe I can take it slow this time?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    my wife found some, but I've not gone yet, or checked to see if they're open.

I'm still thinking like an addict, and knowing my half measures will avail me nothing.

Tbh, I'm a little bit SCARED to actually work the steps again. I was always a "program of vigorous action" guy, who thought "meeting makers" were just addicted to meetings.

But, JESUS. I just reread the majority of the AA book, and my last fourth and fifth step were like ten years ago, and I just can't IMAGINE doing it again just yet.

I've worked the steps a few times, and always in like, a month. Maybe I can take it slow this time?
    Don't forget to give yourself some grace here. It is a lot of work, and in the midst of a global pandemic. As much as I got out of the meetings, the fellowship - as you mentioned - is where I learned to be a person and not drink. I think the pandemic and lack of interaction has hit those of us with substance abuse issues in a different way.

As a former sponsor would always cite Confucious: "it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you don't stop."

Sobriety isn't a destination, it's a process. You're doing great.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    thank you so much, @the duder

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

The NA workbooks for the steps are great for sorting out your feelings, especially the one for Step 4. Not sure where your closest Intergroup is, but I'd be happy to send you some stuff if you wanted.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    7 years sober today! I can't get my awesome tally chart tattoo updated though

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Don't you fucking dare.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    HI EVERYONE. I've been sober for a almost two months now and it's felt like A LIFE TIME has passed. Like a lot of people, the pandemic isolation caused me to really up my drinking. It wasn't until I started fighting with my boyfriend, crying every two hours, getting night sweats, and wanting to drink first thing in the morning that I realized this shit had to go. I've had two small drinks since I decided to quit and it was awful. I've read exactly 1 book about quitting and it's been all I needed so far. P.S. The book is "Alcohol Explained" by William Porter, for the curious!