Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Sober - However you got there, whatever keeps you here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm now 14 months sober, I reached that point where instead of things being fun, I could see more negatives.

I had a big wake up call on a camping trip over summer last year, after taking too much MDMA any one person should ever take in one night, After laying down for a good while when others slept, I went to answer natures call, walked to a river bank, but I just stood there and blacked out, came around after hitting my head on a tree (luckily hitting that and not falling down the bank into the river)
    passed out a good number of times trying to get back to the tent.
    Two weeks later I took Acid and it was a night of bad craziness, everything had become ugly on it, I felt that my relationship with drugs had completely changed.
    From that day I swore to stay sober and have not looked back since.

A month or so after I applied to be a bus driver, done my training and started that as a new job, to get my highs these days means running to the time table and hiking in the mountains on my days off.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So, 2017 was first sober calendar year for me since... I don't know, it's quite normal here to offer some alcohol to pretty young children, you know, just a sip won't kill him, right?

I am joking that since nearest shop is 2 km away, I'm too fucking lazy to carry some heavy bottles all the way. :-) It feels quite easy and thankfully I don't have big cravings, but I know very well that the monster is still inside me, waiting patiently for me to slip... so I'll keep going to the meetings and be careful.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ...and I am sober for 1000 days tomorrow, yay! Is my life amazing now? Absolutely not! ;-) But still worth it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Wow. 1000 days. It's tough to top that.

The last few years, I had notice my alcohol use getting a little out of control. When I moved to Colorado, I said to myself that I would try to wean myself off of it especially considering I was moving in with my girlfriend and her daughter, so it was time to be more responsible. Well, that didn't exactly go to plan. I still drank here and there. It was okay for a while, but then one night I just must have lost control. I don't remember what happened since I blacked out. Apparently I said some really horrible things that my girlfriend told me a few days later when we talked about it. All I truly remember is the hangover the morning after which was abysmal. So I told her that day that I was seriously going to change because that sort of behavior is not acceptable, irresponsible, and frankly unhealthy. I said I was going to very gradually get off of it, because I had heard going cold turkey could be dangerous. Well, one week became two, which became three, and well, I haven't had a drink in 52 days.

I still do smoke weed, so I'm not 100% sober. But unlike with alcohol where I had a tendency to drink an excess of it, I'm able to be more responsible with my use. I mainly attribute this to the fact because I really didn't smoke all that much. Living in Illinois, it was illegal, so I really didn't partake unless I was in a state where it was legal, or happened to be around some friends who were carrying it.

Since I've stopped drinking, I swear I've been sleeping so much better. I used to struggle with insomnia every once in a while, but now I can't remember the last time I had difficulty sleeping.

One question, does anyone who doesn't drink still have alcohol in their home? I was talking to my girlfriend about this. I find it almost comforting to keep it in the house. I don't have the urge to drink it really at all. The fact that I can see it there and still resist - it does give me a little shot in the arms in terms of self-esteem/sense of accomplishment.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    One question, does anyone who doesn't drink still have alcohol in their home? I was talking to my girlfriend about this. I find it almost comforting to keep it in the house. I don't have the urge to drink it really at all. The fact that I can see it there and still resist - it does give me a little shot in the arms in terms of self-esteem/sense of accomplishment.
    I did for about 6 months. It all got gradually drank by people who were visiting or whatever and I've never replaced it.

I feel like having some booze in front of you makes it your decision not to drink. If you throw everything away and hide yourself away all you'll do is want to find some drink. But if it's right there in front of you and you choose not to drink it? You got this. It's all good

Congrats on 52 days.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Today is 6 years with no alcohol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    One question, does anyone who doesn't drink still have alcohol in their home?
    I don't, and it's not recommended. This is not like some fight when you have to prove how amazing you are, because weak moment can appear anytime and... is it worth it? Going out to buy something would take you some time to think "wait, what the hell am I doing..." But for me this is easy since I live alone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My partner reminded me today that we'd passed my anniversary (April 1st) - seven years booze free.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Congrats! Had to reopen my app and saw that today is day 2,354 without a drink.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!