Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Dead Space

Figured I'd start a thread with one of my all time favorite game series, Dead Space. The first two games are among my favorites; they genuinely creeped me out when playing in the dark at max volume. Also, it's been announced (and my friend who works here at EA confirmed it to me last week) that development is well underway for Dead Space 3 which I'm hella pumped for.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is my favorite game series, even over Gears of War and Mass Effect. Dead Space is where it's at and I'm so freaking immersed with the universe I'd might as well live there. I figured a third game would be coming out sometime after 2012. Looks like early 2013 I'd wager. Im stoked, day one purchase for me for sure. Last I read it was to take place on an ice planet and have Isaac fighting his shadow and darker side. Good stufffffffff.....

I enjoy the first game's story more and atmosphere but I like 2's gameplay more. The second game isn't as genuinely creepy and lonely as the first. The first definitely had a more impending doom feel to it. I also think the USG Ishimura and the USS Valor were scary havens and tromping grounds for Isaac and his necromorph friends. The Sprawl is huge but was no where as creepy.

First game is also more difficult. Dead Space 2 I have beat the shit out of. I only need 4 achievements - Zealot playthrough, Hardcore playthrough, Decompress 30 Necromorphs and Zealot play through on Severed. I'm half way to beating normal game on Zealot (on Chapter 7 last I played) and may need about 11 more Necromorphs to decompress. I'll never 100% this game because frankly I can't be bothered to play Hardcore due to the time involved. If you could save it more than twice I'd be game but playing and using 2 saves for good measure is just too much time consumption I can't deal with.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-07-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I got all the achievements on both but after a metric ton of playthroughs...good god, I remember finishing the campaign and just immediately jumping right back in. Ugh lol.

The one thing I'm hoping for in DS3 is no multiplayer whatsoever. The multiplayer in DS2 was so blatantly tacked on and it lost its replayability after about two nights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loved DS2, but I did not even touch the multiplayer. Did I miss anything? The first Dead Space was superior to Dead Space 2. There felt like too many, 'Whoa my God, I know what is coming next' moments in DS2. I liked the story in the first while the second I felt I just wanted to complete it for the sake of getting my money's worth. I still loved it though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    You didn't really miss much, though it DID have its cool moments and a neat premise. It just wasn't enough to warrant doing more than like I said, a few nights worth. Fun, just not necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wasn't it like L4D? I remember watching a dev video when they talked about it, and I was like...well Engineers vs. Necromorphs? L4D much?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Multiplayer was neat and amusing but unfair. It was too level based to be fair and balanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What if they went an Assassins Creed route and made a multiplayer only game? I could see this working as in a fleshed out AVP concept.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And here come the rumors...

Giant 'skyscraper sized' enemies, drop-in co-op...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    And here come the rumors...

Giant 'skyscraper sized' enemies, drop-in co-op...
    Read that earlier and is it bad that I think they shouldn't? It would lose a lot of horror and survival factor for me to have a co-op partner that isn't AI controlled (such as Ellie from DS2). I welcome multiplayer and co-op in most senses and games but this isn't one of them.

As for skyscraper sized enemies, I fought the freakin' Hive Mind in the first game. I have skyscraper sized enemies down pat.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First thing I thought of when reading the 'skycraper sized' part was sort of a Shadow of The Colossus thing, which in the Dead Space world would be awesome. Could tie in elements from DS2 where you're flying around with your boosters and having to deal with this giant boss. DS2 had a few like that giant round one that shot those things at you and you had to take out the tentacles, but that's kinda different.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Fucking love these games. I bought both of them on PSN when I got bored one day and realized I forgot all about the series. What I love about this game was it gives you that feeling like you are actually there alone in a creepy ass atmosphere. In Dead Space, I found myself moving my head as if I was peeking around the corners almost scared to know what is on the other side. The first game scared me and even made me jump several times for example: The scene in the beginning when you run into the elevator and the Necromorph tries prying it open; that scared the shit out of me.

Dead Space 2 was just as good, but I agree that it didn't have that much of a scare factor like the first game. The game play however was much more smooth and just better overall. I have to get some time to jump back into these games so I can get the rest of my trophies for it. I am 75% done on Dead Space and about 56% on Dead Space 2. And now Dead Space 3? I knew it would come around sooner or later. Stoked!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Dead Space 1 was great, but Dead Space 2 is seriously one of my absolute favourite games of this generation. It felt a hell of a lot like Bioshock (also in my top 5 of this gen) with even better chaotic/fun gameplay. Loved the game so much that I instantly played it the whole way through on NG+ straight after finishing my first playthrough- the only game other than Bayonetta (another this-gen favourite) I've felt compelled to do so for. Never touched multiplayer though- seemed antithetical to spirit of the game (immersion, exploration and open-ended combat).

My only issue is that Dead Space, along with Bioshock and The Darkness, has ruined vanilla shooters for me. Why bother with boring gunplay when you have have insane weapons and cool powers to play with too?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I love Dead Space. I love the fact that they at least still try to put in some horror elements in there (unlike Crapcom) but still have a bunch of action and it be a GOOD GAME. RE4 and RE5 were basically the same damn game except different place and characters. They didn't even try to put any horror or surprise elements in there (minus RE4's oven man). Like I said, at least Dead Space had some horror in the game.

I haven't read any of the leaked info on DS3 and I don't want to until it's close to release date, which will probably be awhile.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New video!!!

No idea if it's connected to DS3 in any way whatsoever, but it's fuckin' awesome AND has an ESRB rating so it has to be some type of game.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like it was DS3.

http://www.deadspace.com/ also now seems to have some type of countdown that is going to end apparently around the time of E3. No mention of Isaac, but just of this new guy John Carver. New protagonist? Also all the talk of 'more shooting' and 'new cover system' of course has me a bit worried but I have faith...I hope lol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Cool...hoping this will be good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New article.

As Earthgov Sergeant John Carver witnesses an attack on the Marker Site while patrolling the planet Uxor, this event has a massive effect on his life, and his challenge is to fight his way through a colony now in complete chaos and find how important his position is in eradicating the Necromorph plague. Documenting the upcoming reveal, DSO Gaming also mention the counter at the official website of Dead Space, which ends in five days, when EA’s E3 2012 conference ends giving us the impression that it will be unveiled during the conference. Speculation surrounding John Carver being Isaac’s co-op partner in Dead Space 3 could also be a hint that this man is the face for this new Dead Space game.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I got all the achievements on both
    I haven't even tried for the trophies on part 2. I got 100% on part 1, but the "hardcore" mode or whatever it's called on 2, where you only get a limited number of saves? That just seemed impossible to me.

It's too bad too, because I really wanted that foam finger gun

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A bit older, but I never saw it. Article describing some fairly big spoilers.

Not so sure how this will play out...I'm pretty worried that it's gonna be too much shooter and not enough survival horror.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    A bit older, but I never saw it. Article describing some fairly big spoilers.

Not so sure how this will play out...I'm pretty worried that it's gonna be too much shooter and not enough survival horror.
    I thought the same exact thing about the second game. But it turned out just fine. I'm not worried.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm not super worried either. If there's one major thing the diehard fanbase consistently told them to NOT do, it's that. For them to say 'fuck it' and just make it a shooter with minimal horror elements would probably piss people off royally.

also, the first co-op screens have apparently leaked.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 05-31-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm fine with more action. But it wouldn't be Dead Space without the horror. It worked well with DS2. They'd be stupid to stray too far from that formula.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Man i do love the dead space series, but ive disliked everything ive heard about the new one so far. It feels like ever since the firat one theyve been gradually stripping all of the little details that make these games awesome.

Co-op is a hig deal, especially in the way they seem to want it implemented... much of the atmosphere of deadspace has relied on a sense of isolation... its odd to see them just outright ditching that.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I don't agree about the co-op. I want them to try again, and this time do it right. It could have been so great. Remember when you first heard about the concept, and you imagined what it would be like? If they pulled that off, it would be amazing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    As long as there's a single player, ill be happy.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    ouch... The first co-op videos really feel like my worst fears imagined for this game. It stops being dead space and starts being a shitty Gears of War clone...

It's silent, creepy loneliness replaced with Bro-Talk. We had some good times dead space!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    ouch... The first co-op videos really feel like my worst fears imagined for this game. It stops being dead space and starts being a shitty Gears of War clone...

It's silent, creepy loneliness replaced with Bro-Talk. We had some good times dead space!
    Thankfully, there's a single player without all of that. So I'm not too worried (hopefully). The bro-talk was ridiculous. I have to admit, I'm a little skeptical about this one now. There was nothing wrong with the survival horror/lonewolf aspect of the first two games. This just doesn't seem right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.