Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dead Space

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    All this shit I sold on eBay is going to pretty much pay for this game. Hopefully it's better than what demo hinted towards.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    the super deluxe Dev's edition i ordered has shipped, and is supposed to get here on friday, so i'm going to have the game 4 days early. niiiiiiiiiice.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I like the demo.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I just watched an ad for this game that featured a dorkmetal rendition of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight"

Why? Just fucking WHY!? Fuck you, preorder cancelled

and, yeah, they've killed this franchise. I'm gonna go back and play DS one. This series never should have tried to turn into Gears, but here we go. Fuck. Dead Space 1 was one of the best horror games ever, but here comes the bro appeal.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-01-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just watched an ad for this game that featured a dorkmetal rendition of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight"

Why? Just fucking WHY!? Fuck you, preorder cancelled

and, yeah, they've killed this franchise. I'm gonna go back and play DS one. This series never should have tried to turn into Gears, but here we go. Fuck. Dead Space 1 was one of the best horror games ever, but here comes the bro appeal.
    Really? Luckily I haven't seen or heard that trailer.

I agree though. I think they're entirely trying to market this to a bigger audience. It is fine to me but it really is tampering with how the gameplay from the first game laid ground to. playing the DS3 demo I seriously thought I was playing a clunky, straight up third-person shooter with random 'creepy crawly' enemies to surprise you between man on man gunfights. Didn't feel like shooting necromorphs nor did it feel like a Gears Clone (which GOW is my favorite shooter series) either. I don't even know what I can classify this as...it's unique I suppose but it still lost the appeal the first one had. The second game was pushing it at some points.

I played the demo's Co-Op mode with a friend and we didn't even need to use the Stasis Module one time while shooting. I hope you get more overwhelmed in the retail game than you did in the demo because I felt pretty safe at all times.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dead Space 3 will launch with nearly a dozen slices of DLC, designed to help players accrue in-game loot faster and kit out hero Isaac Clarke with new weapons and suits.
    These options are separate to the in-game micro-transactions that Eurogamer revealed last week, which allow you to sheets of real world cash on extra resources for the game's weapon-crafting system.
    Still, the DLC extras do tie into the same crafting system. In Dead Space 3 you can find weapon parts and resources scattered around the game's world. You also get them delivered to you via scavenger bots. And it's these little mechanical fellows that you can pay to upgrade.
    There's a pack to upgrade your bots' capacity ($4.99 - about £3.15), and another for beefing up its personality ($4.99). And another for speeding up its loot collection ($4.99). Let's call it £15 for the lot.
    We contacted EA for more information about the add-ons (spotted on the US PlayStation Store this week) but the publisher was not able to provide UK pricing.
    "Everybody will find at least one of these bots in the game (and there a couple hidden ones to pick up, too.) The Scavenger Bot is an autonomous robot that can harvest resources for you and deliver them to the Tool Construction bench," Dead Space 3 executive producer Steve Papoutsis explained in a blog post addressing the various DLC packs.
    "As a replacement for DS2's credits, resources are a key part of the Dead Space 3 experience, and their placement in the game has been well thought out by our game designers. Whether by looting enemies, opening lockers, or exploring the world, you'll find more than enough resources in-game to fully experience DS3 on any difficulty level.
    "The scavenger bot's purpose is to give you an extra edge, since there's a bit of gameplay (and risk/reward) to using him and finding the richest resource caches. You can also choose to download upgrades to the scavenger bot that double his capacity or speed up his trips to the bench."
    The other DLC packs contain new weapons and suits for Isaac, including content provided with special edition versions of the game. These are similar to the Hazard, Supernova and Martial Law packs available at the launch of Dead Space 2.
    Finally, there's a onilne pass to enable online play for non-new copies of the game.
    The full list of launch DLC lies below.

• Bot Capacity Upgrade - $4.99
    • Bot Personality Pack - $4.99
    • First Contact Pack - Free
    • Marauder Pack - $4.99
    • Sharpshooter Pack - $4.99
    • Tundra Recon Pack - $4.99
    • Witness the Truth Pack - $4.99
    • Bot Accelerator - $4.99
    • Epic Weapon & Resource Pack - $2.99
    • Online Pass - $9.99
    • Ultra Weapon & Resource Pack - $1.99
    • Resource Pack - $0.99

Only a few days, pumped!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    "As a replacement for DS2's credits, resources are a key part of the Dead Space 3 experience, and their placement in the game has been well thought out by our game designers.
    $$$$$$

Really?

Piss off with this useless DLC.

Ah yes the mandatory online pass as well.

I get the LE stuff on launch, that's good enough for me.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Well, to be fair, EA has always milked this franchise w/ overpowered weapon/armor DLC. It's a little obnoxious, but easy enough to ignore and make do without it.

I'm really sitting on the fence here. This was originally a day-one purchase for me, and yet the more I'm seeing the more hesitant I'm getting. The demo bored me to tears, the gameplay videos I've watched don't do much for me, and the tone of these new ads is completely missing the point. I can't remember the last time I felt this way, but I'm waiting on the metacritic score this time.

meanwhile, this trailer can suck it

Last edited by Jinsai; 02-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The online pass is only if you don't buy a sealed, new copy that'll come with one. I just got a bunch of free points deposited in my acct from Live Rewards so I'll probably just use them up on this. (also getting it free....otherwise I'd never spend any more lol). Most of this stuff seems pretty optional, in the articles I've read, Steve has always said that it's just for a bit of an edge and not really needed to get through the game. Personally, I want it harder so I might not even spend too much on these scavenger bots.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That song is so out of place with this game. Makes zero correlation to me.

As for online pass, every EA game with it has a mandatory online pass bullshit. I'm not surprised this game has it. The second game did. It's all just a way to combat used game sales, which most people buy the games brand new anyways so I don't see the point.

I pretty much try to buy every game I get, even months later, brand new shrink wrapped.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Dead Space

I'm gonna wait until the game drops to 40.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Its somehow getting HARDER to want this game as time goes on, which is baffling because i love Dead Space.

The other day, IGN sucked their daily dick with an article about how this game was more horror that people realized, and procedes to cite the creature design and the gore.... *facepalm*

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Picked mine up this morning. I must say, either I am rusty or this is a bit difficult as I almost died during the fucking Prologue! On Chapter 2 of the story now.

I pretty much have a shit ton of unlocks and DLC from this already. This is what all I've got:

Witness Suit (LE)
    Witness Evangelizer (LE)
    First Contact Suit (LE)
    First Contact Negotiator (LE)
    EG-900 SMG (from Gamestop pre-order)
    N7 Armor (From mass Effect 3 save file)
    Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter (From Dead Space 2 save file)
    Stasis Module Mod (From Dead Space 3 demo save file)
    Broadbow Arc Cutter (From Slim Jim EA Promotion)
    EL1 Rapido (From Slim Jim EA Promotion)
    Skewer (From Slim Jim EA Promotion)

Sooooo much and the game's first piece of downlaodable story content comes out in March for 800 MSP or $9.99. it is entitled Awakened.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I take it your school workload this semester is extremely strenuous lol. Isn't it like noon?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Dead Space

Joystiq gave it a good review as well. Praised the horror as well. Maybe the criticism has been harsh? I dunno...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ive been seeing solo get panned and co op get some kind of loaded praise. From what i hear, once you take it out of the context of being a dead space game, the co op is enjoyable. Blots of people saying the single player kind of sucks though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I take it your school workload this semester is extremely strenuous lol. Isn't it like noon?
    Mondays and Wednesdays are my scheduled days. Besides, semester just started.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Ive been seeing solo get panned and co op get some kind of loaded praise. From what i hear, once you take it out of the context of being a dead space game, the co op is enjoyable. Blots of people saying the single player kind of sucks though.
    I've no issues. I do however see that almost all focus is on co-op. For almost everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you don't play this game you're really missing out. I highly suggest playing it with a pair of quality headphones. I would disagree saying all the focus is on co-op. Besides telling you you can play co-op and a couple of optional side missions that require you to be in a co-op game, it doesn't force feed co-op to you.

!!!!!!!!MINOR SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck the IGN review. The reviewer complains about Ellie's bigger breasts and how her eye is magically fixed. The very first text log you pick up in the game in Isaac's apartment explains how they found a replacement eye for her.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Is there one detailing her breast augmentation surgery?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just started this morning (was released over here yesterday). I need a break, that bit in the generator room in Chapter 4 is doing my head in. I quite like it so far, but it's nowhere near as terrifying as the other two.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, just finished the first playthrough. They weren't kidding about it being longer...did most of the optional missions (now in New Game+ I'll know to do them all) and a few minutes of tinkering around with weapon crafting and my final time was 14:27, which is a good chunk longer than DS or DS2 if I recall correctly.

Nice story, satisfying and surprising ending with Spoiler: the obvious twist after the credits and the whole time I barely ducked or used cover, so it's good to see they didn't overdo it so all the online whiners could eat the dick when they realized how much they were pissing over nothing. Gonna try to get through it once more before GoW:J and BioShock Infinite drop.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Game is better than I initially expected. I had faith it'd be better and seeing as it's one of my favorite series it delivers but I still doesn't have the feel or the cohesive nature the first game had compared to this one.

I have played to Chapter 13 solo and to Chapter 9 in co-op. I must say co-op isn't a bad thing at all, despite this game not really prepped for it. Spoiler: Before you get to Tau Volantis, Carver isn't in cutscenes, doesn't talk and doesn't seem to have any role. He seems to be have tacked on. After you reach Tau Volantis he's seen, speaks and interacts. That's good, considering I'm Carver in the co-op play through.

Still would've liked single player only but co-op is a nice time waster, fun with a friend and amusing.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT!

I made the most bad ass weapon. Uniquely my own! I wish you could upload blueprints online and not just to co-op partners.

Has all circuits maxed out with positive boosted effects, an electricity-induced round attachment and a scope. The primary weapon is a rivet shotgun that shoots a cluster of nails that are electrified. The secondary weapon is a further electric powered bolo bouncer that shoots electric plasma waves that slice and bounce off walls.

The weapon crafting is amazing. I still miss nodes though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm up to the first (and only? I hope... hate these things!) Regenerator encounter. Chapter 5 maybe. It feels enough like a Dead Space game to satisfy the craving. The side missions are a nice touch, and weapon crafting has potential (can't wait to make the world's awesomest Ripper when I have the parts).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, just sold it on craigslist lol but got good money for it. After beating it the 2nd time, I can safely say that it was indeed a worthy chapter, and all the people that whined about it being too action-oriented may have jumped the gun. Sure, it had more action but if I think about all the story as one big tale, it works.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I hit a game breaking bug in Chapter 15. Thank God a quit and save and reload fixed it. Gave me a scare.

Spoiler: After you reassemble Rosetta and Danik leaves with the Codex and you have to get to the door, the fire blocked my path and there was no way to pass without dying. It was after you rounded the sample table, the path was blocked by fire and you couldn't pass without burning. Reloaded and it wasn't there, weird.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Went back and replayed some Chapters of the first game today. I must say that game was still more atmospheric, fucked and otherwise a challenge. I finally got that fucking goddamn Don't Get Cocky Kid achievement today. 54% hull integrity to spare...

The controls seem awkward as does quick heal, stasis and reload. 2 and 3 have normalized me to that control scheme.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This game has just solidified the Ripper as one of my all-time favourite game weapons. Whacked an electrical damage mod on the mofo and have had no end of fun with the "Electric Lawnmower".

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm only about a third of the way through, but something tells me that "turning it off" will probably turn out to be a bad idea.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    well, it's 40 bucks now, so i might scoop it up when i get some extra money this week.