Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not going to write off the game yet and am still very excited for it, but have to agree about the co-op. Some will enjoy it, but for me the feeling of isolation is too integral a part of the DS experience for potentially atmosphere/immersion-breaking co-op to compromise.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm not writing it off yet either. But as you said, Isolation is essential to the series. At the very least, I just won't play the co-op first. Seems like the single player could retain the older aspects, while the co-op adds the other guy and a few extra dialogues and scenes. That's the impression I got anyways

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, hopefully doesn't lose the scares - it seems that sequels are still concerned with bigger monsters that are not necessarily better and co-op removes the feeling of isolation and adds the feeling of safety in numbers. Not a big fan of co-op in survival horror games but then this looks like more of an action based game in the way RE5 was compared to previous titles.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's the third title, so I can imagine they really want to make an impact. I just don't want this game to get too ahead of itself, which it seems like it is.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watching a live demo playthrough with some devs and they keep reinforcing that they're "more than aware" of the backlash they'd get for making DS3 too shooter-ish and not keeping the tenets that make the first two so good. "You're in spaceship corridors, alone for the most part, wondering if it's safe to walk around that next corner. It wouldn't be a Dead Space game if we took the things we know worked best for us and just tossed that stuff out."

YES PLEASE.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This brings me hope. DEAD SPACE is by far one of the most interesting Sci-fi IPs in ages and it woud be a shame to see it stoop to the depths of Resident Evil, which is proving with the playthrough of RE6 that it's pretty much a lost franchise.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Online chat/demo is over. Whereas I obviously can't remember word for word (other than what I just posted as I was typing it out while it was being said by the devs)...I got:

Spoiler: The entire game can of course be played solo, and you still get the full story, but if you play co-op and have Carver in there, you get more story in terms of dialogue between the two and 'other events' that will occur if both characters are there. Someone asked if the Ishimura would appear, they wouldn't confirm nor deny, 'there are a number of ships in the storyline...', NO multiplayer confirmed, new Necromorphs (along with all the classics) including one that if you sever a limb or limbs, they'll morph in to other types of claws, etc. etc. New characters will appear along with pretty much everyone from DS1 and 2 that's still alive anyways. More mini-bosses and bosses in general. Zero-G will be in the game in some prominent places including 'one sequence that will literally blow your mind; better than any Zero-G stuff in DS2'. The sense of isolation is definitely big for them, and it's not Lost Planet 3 where you're out in the snow the entire time. Also, they wouldn't confirm/deny if this was the ending of a trilogy or not.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Alright, I'm excited for it now. Will probably play solo on my first playthrough though. Only seems right.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think I will too. If the ending doesn't change, etc. than I'll probably just do it co-op after one time to see the alternate dialogue, cut scenes, etc. Couldn't care less about the (almost certain) achievements that'll come along with co-op, but I'm with ya...not enough of a difference it seems to not make me wanna play through it alone waaaay more than with someone else.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Dead Space has always been a solo experience for me anyway; like, played in the dark, surround sound cranked, with nobody else in the house. i'll probably try and do the same with this one, and then after i've been through it i'll give the co-op a try just for completeness. i never really did the multiplayer for Dead Space 2 though; wasn't all that interested. Dead Space is meant to be played alone, i think, because the terror is ramped up so much more if you don't have any buddies around to keep the mood calm.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ill do co-op. Curious to see the differences and it might be a lot of fun. My thing is, I played the first two solo, so why not the third? So I'm going solo the first playthrough. Maybe ill jump into a random session from time to time. Who knows?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fucking...BOOM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I seen that pop up yesterdya and I can honestly say I haven't watched it, nor do I want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally got around to playing the first Dead Space. It's been a hard time for me because the movie Event Horizon scarred me when I was like 9 years old even though its a pretty shitty movie and the correlation between the two is the reason why I've had much reluctance to play this game after having it for about 5 months without playing it...that being said, I'm at chapter 7 now and I can't stop playing. This game is the ultimate in psychological horror for me and even the first Silent Hill game didn't have this kind of atmosphere (although close). The developers really knew how to put scares and noises in at the perfect time in and out again during this game. Bravo.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's an amazing game from start to finish. Very fucked up though (in a good way).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Feb. 5th in NA, weapon customization will be a big part in game, the new trailer looks slick as hell.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    A lot sooner than I thought it would be.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Don't be left out in the cold

Isaac Clarke will be making his third run-in with the Necromorph plague early next year, but that doesn't mean he is getting used to it. You'll still want to be armed to the teeth. EA is offering an instant upgrade to the Limited Edition of the game to anyone who pre-orders Dead Space 3 and with it you'll get a few much-needed tools of survival. Check out the trailer below to see the gear in action.

Dead Space 3 covers us in snow and blood next February.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Not liking the co-op at all.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Not liking the co-op at all.
    Agreed. Really unnecessary and unneeded.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    At least its still optional? I'm not bothering with the co-op for quite awhile.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Me neither, all they've said is that it adds a bit of backstory and dialogue as you go along, but doesn't change the overall story whatsoever if you go through solo...which of course is what I plan to do.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    If it wasn't optional, man that would ruin the entire game. I hate how the interviewer says that it will be easier to kill Necromorphs with a partner like it is so much more exciting when it is not. That was one aspect about Dead Space that I love was how you are alone and trying to fight for survival against all these awesome creatures. I will dabble with it once I play the shit out of it solo. I gotta jump into 1 and 2 again so I can get those platinum trophs.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll do co-op only if an achievement is involved, which I bet there will be.

Otherwise, it can go fuck off.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-08-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah even then I don't honestly think I'll even touch it, just to get a few extra points to boost an arbitrary gamerscore that means absolutely nothing, not even with the 'awesome rewards!' Microsoft launched that suck balls. I'd rather do it all alone...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I probably will. But I'm going to play solo first. The way it should be. And so far, I cant say I'm impressed with Carver. Only things he seems to say are F-bombs. Issac will be just fine also.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm still convinced that the co-op won't ruin DS3 and this article makes the co-op sound, to me anyways, more than cool.

While playing co-op, each player will see and experience something different, even in the same room.

I'm certain that when my friend Jonny and me work our way through it, there'll be more than a few occasions of

'DUDE SHOOT IT.'

'SHOOT WHAT?!? WHAT THE FUCK.'