Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Slipknot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Vol. 3 is really out there when you listen to it after the first two. I can see why fans were pissed when it came out since it's a pretty radical departure, but it really is an expertly crafted record, and it's aged incredibly well. As much as I would love to see it happen, I don't know if they'll ever top it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Vol. 3 is really out there when you listen to it after the first two. I can see why fans were pissed when it came out since it's a pretty radical departure, but it really is an expertly crafted record, and it's aged incredibly well. As much as I would love to see it happen, I don't know if they'll ever top it.
    Vol. 3 is the best thing anyone in Slipknot will ever do musically. That album is pretty much a landmark for metal. It's what I'd expect a metal album to sound like in the early 70s. And honestly, I think Corey's rough vocals actually enhance the album's raw nature.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm definitely going to revisit volume 3 soon. That album has always been weird to me. I loved Opium of the People, Vermillion, The Nameless, The Virus of Life, but I could never get into Three nil, circle, and welcome. The self titled album and All Hope is Gone are still my favorites by them. Gematria, Prosthetics, Snuff, wherein lies continue, only one, and diluted are my all time favorite songs. I was in tears when they played Prosthetics at mayhem 2008. Which brings me to my next point, I hope they diversify the set this go around. I was so bummed that they only played two or three songs off AHIG when I saw them. So I'm hoping they aren't treating this album cycle the same (corey said they will be hitting up the US at least three times) I also want My Plague to return to the set. I can do without wait and bleed and the heretic anthem these days.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm going to have to revisit Vol. 3 as it's been quite some time. That album came out just before I finished my Junior year of high school, and I had it on rotation in my car for a while. My friends and I would blast it and sing/scream along. One of my friends was always excited when he listened with me because I could scream similarly to Corey. I find the lyrical content of the first and second album to be pretty cheesy now, but I might find something in Vol. 3 that reels me back in.

Update: I'm currently on "Before I Forget" and I'd agree it's more mature than the previous two albums, but Corey's lyrics are still cheesy at times. I'm hoping .5 doesn't include more of that. The two tracks that have been released so far seem to be more direct about something, which I think Corey is better at. I guess I'll find out next month, if not sooner.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 09-09-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Trivial I know (because who cares, they could wear horse masks for all I care) but it seems the 2 new guys will each be wearing the same mask.

"We wanted to make something that still looked unified but still stayed with the spirit of what the band is all about," Corey replied. "Instead of trying to find something that was individualistic, we designed — well, [percussionist] Clown designed a mask that the drummer and the bass player will both wear. On one hand, they get a mask, but at the same time, it's not the individual mask that we in the band use. We knew that any attempt to do anything like that might be taken as disrespectful, but at the same time it's part of the way of moving, getting past the hardest steps, which is just moving on. So, we decided that we would come up with a mask that works for both the bassist and the drummer and that's what they'll wear on stage."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Putty Patrol ft Corey Taylor

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    they could wear horse masks for all I care
    I'd actually be interested in them if they did that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Devil In I debuts at 9am EDT tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/slipknot/status/510085612829806593

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    They've literally taken sheets, dyed them red, cut holes in them and put them on people.

OMG SCURRY

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Trivial I know (because who cares, they could wear horse masks for all I care) but it seems the 2 new guys will each be wearing the same mask.

"We wanted to make something that still looked unified but still stayed with the spirit of what the band is all about," Corey replied. "Instead of trying to find something that was individualistic, we designed — well, [percussionist] Clown designed a mask that the drummer and the bass player will both wear. On one hand, they get a mask, but at the same time, it's not the individual mask that we in the band use. We knew that any attempt to do anything like that might be taken as disrespectful, but at the same time it's part of the way of moving, getting past the hardest steps, which is just moving on. So, we decided that we would come up with a mask that works for both the bassist and the drummer and that's what they'll wear on stage."
    Sounds like a dick move. At least they're putting them on the stage.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Seems par for the course, to be honest. So obsessed with tradition and clinging to their imagery that they're going to shaft Donnie Steele and whoever they convinced to drum for them.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    New video is up. Pretty cool.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Don't really like Corey's new mask. Aside from that, video is pretty cool Better than the last one.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    New video is up. Pretty cool.

Ermagherd…

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Corey's mask looks better before he takes the top piece off. I think the bass/drummer masks are pretty cool looking. Better than most.

Anybody know now who the bassist is based on the tattoos on his hand? You can see them pretty well at 5:08-5:09.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 09-12-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently his name is Alessandro Venturella, he was the guitar tech for Mastodon and Architects, and has played in Krokodil and Sikth. Should be OK.
    http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/09/12...tity-revealed/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The video is really cool, the first Slipknot video I liked, it seems (OK, the Vermillion vids were cool, too).
    Couldn't make out a lot of the masks, but I from what I've seen, they all look pretty cool (Sid's one kinda spooked me out a bit, and Chris' reflective mask is awesome; Jim Root's new mask is beautiful). I love how Mick's and Craig's masks hardly every change.

Wonder if there is any special meaning to which members commit suicide wearing masks from which era? (Corey – AHIG, Clown – Iowa, Jim and Sid – Gray Chapter, Craig and Mick – who knows? and I'm not really sure when Chris wore a green mask).

Corey looks like the Hulk, kinda.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

A better look.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

A better look.
    Jim Root has been replaced by Dave Navarro.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That is indeed a very cool video. Last time I saw them live was in 2001, might have to catch 'em when they come around.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So, Allesandro Venturella is the new bassist. He's Hinds' tech from Mastodon, so he probably knows his shit big time lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    He was in Sikth, so the dude can totally handle Slipknot!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I was wondering if an official announcement had been made, then I remembered that there was a glimpse of his hand in the video, which is pretty distinctive.

Still need to know who that new drummer is...any ideas?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Have we officially ruled out Meg White? I mean with the new mask and shit. There was like only two distinct shots of the drummer and the person had long black hair.

All kidding aside, it's definitely not Rick Allen because I clearly saw two arms.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Have we officially ruled out Meg White?
    The dude had more than two drums in his kit, so I think so.

(I also kid; Meg White is fine. Not as Slipknot's drummer, obviously, just in general.)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm disappointed that they showed the drummer. I had HIGH hopes that it was the Roland 808 drum machine:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    I'm disappointed that they showed the drummer. I had HIGH hopes that it was the Roland 808 drum machine:

You can still hope; although maybe not for an 808 :P. There's no confirmation that the drummer (who I'm pretty convinced is Jay Weinberg at this point) was involved with the recordings, and the parts were, in fact, programmed by/within a drum machine/drum software plugin.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Absolutely not fond of Corey's mask. It may have something to do with it giving him a real face that is not his or some crazy morph. It has too much human expression and kinda makes him look like Popeye meets Leatherface. I liked his last one the best from all era's and would have loved something more gritty than something that looks like sleek silicone.

The song itself has grown on me a lot and I like the video for what it is, although it reminds me of duality a lot.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not liking his new mask either. His last one was awesome. This one is just bleh.