Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Slipknot

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm loving all these old 1999 Slipknot stories.

My Turn...

Was in grade 11. Never knew who Slipknot was, but was a fan of Coal Chamber, but for some reason I wasn't attending the show that was coming to Winnipeg. The Slipknot/Coal Chamber/ Dope show (fantastic lineup by the way!). A friend of mine, was huge into Slipknot. How he found out about them, I will never know. None of our group of friends knew who this "Slipknot" was, but he was over his head. They were doing a signing at a local mall record store (HMV) and he skipped class to stand in line all day to be at the front of the singing. So, school ends and myself and another mutual friend go downtown to the signing to hang with our friends. We had no idea who the band was, but what else do you do when you're 16, lol.

So, we're at the store, hanging with friends, meeting new people in line. Then the line starts moving, OK, sure whatever... let's go meet this band that we don't know. Turns out, earlier that day was yearbook day at school, so I had my yearbook on me... figured I'd get the band to sign my yearbook, because... why the hell not, lol.

After the singing, we went to the venue to go hang out with our friends in line again, keep them company. We had no intentions of going to the show (me and the other guy), we didn't have tickets. Probably couldn't afford them or something, I donno. But we had a bunch of friends going and we were not, but we just went anyway. As the line started moving to get into the venue, we started walking away. I don't know which of us had the idea, but as we walked around to the side of the building, one of us decided to open the side door (like a fire exit type door) and it wasn't locked. It lead directly to the kitchen of the venue. Nobody was there. We walked in. Now we are in the kitchen. Someone walks in and asks what we were doing, we said we we were looking for the washroom, they direct us through another door, which we walk straight into the fucking venue and now we are at the front of the stage with the rest of our friends, and boy... they were pissed off that we got in for free.

That's one of my favorite memories/stories to tell. The show was amazing as well, never knew who Slipknot was before that, but after that show, I became a fan. Got the Self titled record for X-mas later that year.
    Man, those were the days. The band just isn't the same as they used to be with all the lineup changes over the years. Good times.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Haven't been impressed with any of the videos this time around. They're just playing in a room. Not particularly creative. It's okay, just a bit functional.

... maybe I shouldn't have just watched Tool's Parabola.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    God Clown is such a fucking shit director. I reaaaally wish they'd would let someone else come in and take control of their creative direction.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    God Clown is such a fucking shit director. I reaaaally wish they'd would let someone else come in and take control of their creative direction.
    problem is, this is how he justifies his equal share.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just want some more US dates!

I love this song, I hope they drastically change up the setlist with the next your, like 6 or 7 new songs. (Birth of the Cruel, Nero Forte, Spiders, ect)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I just want some more US dates!

I love this song, I hope they drastically change up the setlist with the next your, like 6 or 7 new songs. (Birth of the Cruel, Nero Forte, Spiders, ect)
    They can reasonably fit US dates in April/May or after September based on what's already been announced. Though if it's gonna be a late spring tour, dates will probably get announced in the next couple weeks.

I would expect them to finally change the setlist as this would be their second euro tour on this cycle. Also, the set times that I saw on the slipknot sub reddit say they they may be playing two hour sets but we shall see tomorrow if that is actually the case. Jim talked about how they've been thinking of doing two hour sets and that it would realistically be adding five to seven songs. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    goddamn Weinberg is a beast.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    goddamn Weinberg is a beast.
    Yeah he is, id love to see him play with Avenged Sevenfold, he would be a perfect fit! (not trying to discount Brooks, he does a fantastic job . Just a little fantasy booking )

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    hard pass on THAT. haha

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yeah he is, id love to see him play with Avenged Sevenfold, he would be a perfect fit! (not trying to discount Brooks, he does a fantastic job . Just a little fantasy booking )
    Brooks is such a perfect fit that I don't think there was a more perfect fit for the band since Jimmy tbh. Love his drumming on Paradigm and The Stage album in general.

Anyways, Slipknot posted a bunch of cryptic teasers on their instagram today. The SK Sub is SURE there is gonna be a double album or some shit but I doubt that. There are like seven songs from WANYK sessions that didn't get released, and we also have Look Outside Your Window coming out at some point soonish too. My guess is that it's one of those two things or a tour announcement for the states

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I realised today why I recognised the guitar riff during the chorus of Spiders. It's similar to Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Um, what?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Definitely not watching 20 minutes of whatever that is.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'll probably check it out when I get home.

In other news, their euro tour just started and they played Nero Forte! Can't wait for some US dates

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    What is this, Slipknots version of Doppelherz?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    Um, what?

What a waste of resources. Trash.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Birth of the Cruel was played, but no way was that a 2 hour set.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Birth of the Cruel was played, but no way was that a 2 hour set.
    Well in their defense, they did say that they were only talking about it.

Regardless, based on setlist.fm, they played a pretty heavy set.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Proper setlist. Can't wait to finally see them again in a couple of weeks!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    What a waste of resources. Trash.
    Clown probably put it together, so I don't think the talented ones (Jay, Jim, ECT) lost any focus lol

Not the full song, but...

Hard to tell with the potato cam resolution, but does V Man have some sort of Rammstein-esque flame thrower thing attached to his bass? I mean, they already took Flakes treadmill...

edit:

Looks like it's Tortilla Man doing the screaming part of the chorus
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 01-14-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Bummed - though not surprised - that Corey's not hitting the highs in the Nero Forte chorus.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It was a really great gig, Tuesday night in Dublin. Some spectacle. Amazing stage set up and nice set list. A lot of fun.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Corey sounds sooo good on Birth of the Cruel. Holy shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Corey sounds sooo good on Birth of the Cruel. Holy shit.
    Corey sounds soooo good on Nero Forte (and Tortilla Man too!!)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Corey sounds soooo good on Nero Forte (and Tortilla Man too!!)
    Fucking fantastic. So bummed I didn't get tickets to this tour. Maybe next time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This kid is awesome! Air drumming like a madman during Psychosocial!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Loudwire/...13151954018304

edit:
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 01-21-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Kinda have a different opinion about that Nero Forte live performance. Tortilla man is not nearly as ranchy as Corey, and Corey is just abyssmal, almost sings in a talking voice, compared to the very high notes of the record. I'd rather them have the high notes be sampled, and Corey doing the other part of the chorus. It's a major downgrade compared to the album version. Except for Jay, I like his drumming.

I'm happy I didn't bother with buying a ticket for the setlist alone though. Aside from W&B, I've heard almost every decent song from this list a year ago.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This kid is awesome! Air drumming like a madman during Psychosocial!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Loudwire/...13151954018304

edit:
    Jay brought this kid out on stage at the show last night according to Instagram. This shit is insanely fucking cool.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Jay brought this kid out on stage at the show last night according to Instagram. This shit is insanely fucking cool.
    Yeah I saw that, classy move guys.