Thread: Slipknot

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I went through Iowa again today... "Skin Ticket" may be my top song off it

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    I went through Iowa again today... "Skin Ticket" may be my top song off it
    Love the difference of opinion in here with their discography. Skin Ticket is one of my least favorite in Iowa, but dam, there are some really good songs on that album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Iowa is... Well I prefer ST>Vol 3>Iowa

Not saying its bad, far from it. But it's almost like the original Star Wars, their all great so it comes down to personal preference.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Iowa is... Well I prefer ST>Vol 3>Iowa

Not saying its bad, far from it. But it's almost like the original Star Wars, their all great so it comes down to personal preference.
    Self Titled is #1 for me as well.
    Kind of a controversial opinion, but I never really liked anything else they did until The grey chapter. That record got me listening to them again.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Aside from Wait and Bleed, (sic) and Eyeless I hate the first album.

I downloaded We Are Not Your Kind and will listen to it for the first time tomorrow when I go for a car drive to the next city from me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I love the heaviness and denseness of Iowa, but I go back to Vol. 3 more than anything.

And I actually read the lyrics of Solway Firth... what a track.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    After listening to their entire discography over the past week, list goes something like this:

Vol. 3
    Iowa
    We Are Not Your Kind
    The Grey Chapter
    S/T
    All Hope Is Gone

Also really enjoy the Disasterpieces DVD.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    S/T will always be top spot for me, just that whole era, them breaking through. The mystery.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Same. I bought S/T the week it came out, after reading a glowing review in Metal Edge. That album changed everything for me. It'll always be my favorite just because it's tied so closely to those memories of being obsessed with that album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I had a friend that was in one of those cd clubs and got a pre release copy, it was like summer of 99. I made a cassette dub, and bought the album when it came out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    After listening to their entire discography over the past week, list goes something like this:

Vol. 3
    Iowa
    We Are Not Your Kind
    The Grey Chapter
    S/T
    All Hope Is Gone

Also really enjoy the Disasterpieces DVD.
    I did the same this week. Here's my rankings...

Vol. 3
    Slipknot
    Iowa
    We Are Not Your Kind
    All Hope is Gone
    .5: The Grey Chapter

The only album I actively dislike is Grey Chapter.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    The only album I actively dislike is Grey Chapter.
    Funny, because I felt this way at first until I gave it another chance. I thought the S/T would have been higher, but I find myself either changing a track I do like, or skipping a lot to begin with; I adored it when I was younger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll give it another shot. I stopped listening to Slipknot after Vol. 3 so All Hope is Gone and Grey Chapter are still fresh for me (I did listen to All Hope is Gone a couple of times when it was released and I heard the singles a lot during that period...). The first half of AHIG is strong but then it starts to lose the momentum toward the end. Grey Chapter feels extremely one note to me and there's nothing that stands out. I couldn't remember one hook by the time it was over.

Self titled still holds up in my opinion. You have no idea how much I listened to that in high school... I would play it nonstop, back to back in full. It's a long record but the quality is fairly consistent throughout.
    Last edited by rampface; 08-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Funny, because I felt this way at first until I gave it another chance. I thought the S/T would have been higher, but I find myself either changing a track I do like, or skipping a lot to begin with; I adored it when I was younger.

Thats where im at. ST and Iowa... I just don’t find myself going back or it resonating like it used too..
    Last edited by BrokenSpiral; 08-17-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Thats where im at. ST and Iowa... I just don’t find myself going back or it resonating like it used too..
    I found myself chanting and having a blast listening to Iowa, but a handful of songs don't resonate anymore like you said as well.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    A Liar’s Funeral off the new album showcases everything I love about Corey’s voice. Incredible song to me. Far away and my favorite.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Pretty much agree completely, except I am yet to give Liar's Funeral a second chance, because the first listen left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    liars Funeral has grown on me, the only track I'm not huge on is Solway Firth.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Critical Darling has grown on me. Still think this could have been cut down to 11-12 tracks but it holds my attention the entire way through so props to them for delivering a quality record this late in their careers.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    My ranking so far:

1. Selftitled
    2. Iowa
    3. WANYK / .5 (it's a tie)
    4. .5
    5. Vol. 3
    6. AHIG

I really dug the Gray Chapter and played the shit out of it, but I can easily see why WANYK is the superior record. It flows better and has more stuff on it that sticks with me. Yet I found .5 to be an amazing return to form and I really liked that era of the band. Iowa and Selftitled are sitting on a throne mainly because of nostalgia and what I can remember from that time listening to both records on tape, burning discs for fellow classmates, downloading the music videos off of Napster... wow. I still return to the selftitled record from time to time, but have to confess that although it's heavy as fuck, Iowa should probably rank below WANYK in the year 2019. A lot of lyrical themes sound pretty stupid and rather nu-metalish, while I regard the selftitled record as a more fun and "let's try shit out" record, which makes it a bit more timeless. It's funny to see how far this band has come despite all the criticism, ridicule because of the masks etc.

The one thing that really bugs me with Slipknot in 2019? I can't see past the things with Chris and I dearly miss him in the line-up. Stuff still sounds fishy and my respect for the band has certainly gotten a crack.
    Last edited by dlb; 08-19-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Where is Vol. 3?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Hehe, shit thanks! Updated!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I liked We Are Not Your Kind a lot more than I expected to. I agree that it could've been a bit shorter--the end of "My Pain" felt like the logical conclusion to the album as I was listening and I was surprised when it wasn't the final song. I need to listen again but in the meantime, I got nostalgic and went back to self-titled. I think "(sic)" is one of my favorite songs of any band. It's so fast and I love the major structural changes in the breakdown and then again for the end of the song. It reminds me a lot of Dr. Acula Party 2.0. They change riffs/song structure five times throughout the 2:08 it runs.

Not trying to derail, just providing the video for comparison to illustrate what I mean.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I went into it with pretty average expectations. Pretty run of the mill slipknot album. Not at all what we got. Some of their most experimental stuff to date here. Really worth the listen.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Still to this day I don’t get the hatred towards All Hope Is Gone.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So Tortilla Man has possibly been identified

Michael Pfaff

Reddit Thread
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Slipknot/co...michael_pfaff/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    The singles are hands down the best tracks on that album. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but most of the rest of the stuff just feels like filler.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I don't hate it. It's very uneven. Like, they got confused on where they were going. Is it a slipknot album, or a stone sour album? Its half and half. There's some really good stuff there (about half), and some that's just commercial whatever songs (the other half).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Slipknot

So to follow up on my post.

Jim on Instagram pretty much says we were wrong

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1aDv4Og...=183bdv4vvdh1r

And also great news. That album they were recording during all hope is gone was being made is coming out

https://loudwire.com/slipknot-releas...ongs-outtakes/

I think it was spiders that came from those seasons.
    Last edited by Conan The Barbarian; 08-20-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    So to follow up on my post.

Jim on Instagram pretty much says we were wrong

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1aDv4Og...=183bdv4vvdh1r
    Man I dont know. Maybe Jim is trolling us at this point? All that evidence in the reddit post is VERY convincing.