Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Slipknot

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I...I have no words for how great this is so far.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Can someone pm me a link or site? I've heard that this bangs hard.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Can someone pm me a link or site? I've heard that this bangs hard.
    Rumors tell of a kingdom where leaks happen.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    May I also have a PM?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hate to ask, but....

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just finished Nero Forte... For fucks sake, I cannot breathe.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Well damn I gotta hear this! Someone help plz

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just finished Nero Forte... For fucks sake, I cannot breathe.
    That song, holy fucking shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I’m gonna wait it out. Only have my phone so no way to download. Pretty excited by you alls enthusiasm
    Last edited by BrokenSpiral; 08-05-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This his the best thing they did since IOWA ,dont get me wrong ,i loved the past three album ,but this is something else ......FUCKING PROUD TO BE A MAGGOT RIGHT NOW !!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well fuck that album was a banger. Jesus...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Since so many people were kind enough to point me in the right direction, thanks to everyone!!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Album is dam brutal, but could not help but feel Solway Firth should have been the opener. On Spiders... Kill it with fire, bury it.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 08-05-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nero Forte and Spiders are two that I keep seeing mentioned. Can’t fucking wait.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is that some sort of Morse code in Birth of the Cruel?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Definite Vol 3 vibes. Absolutely love it so far.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah no doubt, this is great.

Seriously what's going on here? New producer? More input from Jay and VMan??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just found the album. Time to burn one, throw on the nice headphones, and let this one rip.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I'm only a few tracks in so far and I'm honestly fucking ecstatic over the amount of samples/keys/tables they're utilizing on this album.

EDIT-----

Well fuck, after all these years of saying an album is going to be as good as Iowa, they finally fucking delivered. To me, this feels like what Volume 3 would have been had A) They not all hated each other when making it; B) Corey hadn't destroyed his voice drinking; and C)They hadn't worked with Rick Rubin. I love Volume 3, so this is isn't taking shit. But it feels like the album that they were initially heading towards after Iowa. I am enjoying this immensely.
    Last edited by richardp; 08-05-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Whoa guys, you need to pass me the Kool Aid, because I want to go off the tracks as well. Me too am happy that this record is not dogshit, unlike how Korn's newest shaping up to be, but in no universe can it get anything better than an 8. 8 is a fucking dope score, but not going to top the likes of Vol 3.

Since everyone talked about some of their great moments, like Nero Forte, I guess I need to balance it out for those who may wait for the official release, and don't want to be set up for false hopes.

1. My Pain is the single worst Slipknot song ever produced. It is insulting and obnoxious. It is Slipknot trying to evocate Trent Reznor, whom Corey Taylor is a big fan of, so I can see why, but the song does not work on any level. It adds nothing to the record (unlike The Way Out Is Through for example), and it pisses me off that on a record with needless interludes they produced a 6 minute long interl-- erm, song. Why? It also doesn't work as a standalone song (unlike TWOIT...), because it fails to capture the eary feeling of NIN songs like I'm Not From This World. This "song" is a prime example of a band (or certain members) being so far up in their asses that they thought this is art.

2. A Liar's funeral is simply shit. We've heard this Slipknot song many times before, except in better versions.

3. Interludes... Are interludes the Oscar-bait version of the music industry? If you put some random sound snippets on your record it has a 25% more chance to be considered a work of art?

4. Why are these songs 6+ minutes? I remember the time when Slipknot could make 2-4 minutes long songs which ended up being nothing short of amazing. Now everything needs to be padded out. The last quarter of Nero Forte is just the chorus over and over again. That is quite the way to defile one of the most innovative Slipknot songs in a decade. They could have made like 4 additional tracks if not for the boring, meaningless, repetitive song paddings and the already mentioned interludes.

5. Corey's performance is meh. His singing is okay, but his "instrument" is the most uninspired on the record. He didn't push himself vocally at all.

I haven't made up my mind about Red Flag yet.

The rest of the record is pretty cool. Spiders is cool, Orphan's intro is straight up like a Slayer song, Critical Darling is my personal 10/10 - hits all the spots for me, Nero Forte's 3/4th is pretty fucking cool and Not Long For This World has a very sweet and very warm riff.

The record is easily a 7-8, I can't decide just after a few listens, but people are jumping the gun by trying to proclaim anything more. The band really tried on most of these songs, and I rather have a song like Spiders where I scratch my head, than listen to the same stuff over and over and over... again (ain't that right, .5?), but the record has shortcomings as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Goddamn, for once I leave the house without turning on my computer... sadly no way to listen to this right now and I'm out tonight. Early reactions sound amazig and I can see where you're coming from Volband aswell.

Only question to those who've heard it, how does "unsainted" fall compared to the other tracks? I really enjoyed what I was hearing so far and even "unsainted" became enjoyable.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Goddamn, for once I leave the house without turning on my computer... sadly no way to listen to this right now and I'm out tonight. Early reactions sound amazig and I can see where you're coming from Volband aswell.

Only question to those who've heard it, how does "unsainted" fall compared to the other tracks? I really enjoyed what I was hearing so far and even "unsainted" became enjoyable.
    Unsainted is quite unique on the record, which is funny, because I thought they will have a bunch of other "radio hit" materials. Nero Forte and Critical Darling comes the closest to Unsainted, because these songs have very, VERY catchy choruses, but they are 6+ minutes long songs which (mostly in the case of Nero Forte) keep evolving, and doesn't follow the simplistic route of Unsainted. Nero Forte also has some backing vocals which are either female, or just Corey's manipulated into sounding like that (edit: okay, 98% sure it's the latter). Critical Darling is like Unsainted deluxe, while Nero Forte is like Unsainted+Solway Firth/Birth of the Cruel.

Btw I don't mean to knock Unsainted by calling it simple, it is one of my favorites on the record, and I appreciate its straight to the point, no bullshit structure even more after listening six songs which range from 5:30 to 6:50.
    Last edited by Volband; 08-06-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Totally catch your drift. While I enjoy Slipknot more than ever these days, I would wish for more cohesive and en point songs more rather than the 6 minute bangers. A good mixture would be perfect as I'm not a fan of repeating the chorus 10 times at the end of a song. Still excited for this one, can't wait to come home.

Would love to own the vinyl but then again... I'm not a massive fan by any means, just a casual listener and I enjoy what Corey is offering in general apart from too cheesy Stone Sour material.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I caved. Listened to someone’s YouTube upload.

This shit is really good.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I knew that I was probably end up liking this album, but i didn’t expect it to be this good. This is a nice change for a band that kinda started to become predictable with the last two outings. I liked chapter 5 and hated all hope is gone, and this one outshines them immensely.

The “Korny” parts that I didn’t like much didn’t bother me after one listen due to how much the rest of the album slayed. The instrumentals were good and finally have the two guy in the back( Craig and Sid) shine. I’m sure Clown has something to do with them as well. I give this album a 10. It might drop a point the more listens I go through as that always happens, but first run I was just shocked.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I hear snippets of all their material in here. After a second listen, My Pain and Spiders are absolutely terrible, finding myself putting Spiders as one of my most hated Slipknot tracks. It starts off pretty promising, but it's a mess and feels like they were trying a bit too hard here.

Vol. 3 seems to still hold the crown for me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    prime example of a band (or certain members) being so far up in their asses that they thought this is art.
    I have issue with this sentence. This band has been around for two decades. The ingredients of these instrumentals has been spread out through out their career

It’s like saying Reznor was so far up his ass releasing a double record for his third record. What an asshole. ( I don’t think this way at all, for clarification.

Art is subjective, it’s hit or miss for everyone and I think you know that. It’s just that sentence was a little harsh.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I have issue with this sentence. This band has been around for two decades. The ingredients of these instrumentals has been spread out through out their career

It’s like saying Reznor was so far up his ass releasing a double record for his third record. What an asshole. ( I don’t think this way at all, for clarification.

Art is subjective, it’s hit or miss for everyone and I think you know that. It’s just that sentence was a little harsh.
    It's harsh, but I honestly can't describe My Pain any differently. It's not simply bad or boring. It's Corey Taylor murmuring for 6 minutes while an ambient song plays. It's like you take The Virus of Life and inject two horse sedatives into it. You can totally see in front of you how this song could become some sick, frightening piece, but it never becomes anything.

My Pain is the equivalent of a black dot on a white canvas. To me, you have to be a bit out of touch with reality to actually release something like that to the wide audience.

In a way Reznor was up in his ass with TF as well, but he didn't have a vanity song on it. Maybe someone considers tracks like Complication or Pilgrimage fillers, maybe someone considers the whole arrangement of the record a bit artsy, but whatever we may think about it, they surve a purpose and you can totally see what he was going for with each piece. The longer tracks either follow the usual music structure (WITT, Where Is Everybody?), or they keep evolving and changing within the tracks (Even Deeper, TDTWWA). My Pain starts out as a slow, dull intro before the smashing starts, but it never begins. It gets stuck with the dull intro part. Imagine Solway Firth was just Corey continuing talking till the end. The only plus point I can give to My Pain is its title, as it is aptly named.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post

5. Corey's performance is meh. His singing is okay, but his "instrument" is the most uninspired on the record. He didn't push himself vocally at all.

\
    Are we listening to the same record? This is easily Corey's best vocal performance on a Slipknot album, possibly ever.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'll be honest that after Vol 3, I stopped listening to the album that came after it, so I am not sure how this could compare to these, but so far, after repeated listening today, this was a really fun and exciting listen, Corey's performance is very akin to the one on Iowa, very carthatic screams and his singing is really good, I like the sound of instruments and how a lot of the songs have interesting structures, the strongest stand-out moment is probably A Liar's Funeral, I love how it starts off as a ballad and then eventually falls apart, pretty effective.

I think the production is little flat sounding from what I've heard, reminds me of how Vol 3 sounded like.

I have a bad habbit of being impressed by new things, albums specifically, I remember being blown away by Marilyn Manson's Heaven Upside Down when it came out, lol, so keep that in mind.