Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Gloom

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Honestly, ISIS, Cave In, and Converge was all I needed to know. And, judging by that, whatever the fuck Zozobra is can ONLY be awesome.

I AM DOWN.

A friend played some Old Man Gloom for me like a year ago and FUCKYEAH, it was great. I didn't know about them fucking with the media till now but DAMN that makes it even cooler, lol.

Anyway, hopefully this will help metalheads more fully appreciate the literary background behind Manson's "Disposable Teens," w00t.

XD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Honestly, ISIS, Cave In, and Converge was all I needed to know. And, judging by that, whatever the fuck Zozobra is can ONLY be awesome.

I AM DOWN.

A friend played some Old Man Gloom for me like a year ago and FUCKYEAH, it was great. I didn't know about them fucking with the media till now but DAMN that makes it even cooler, lol.

Anyway, hopefully this will help metalheads more fully appreciate the literary background behind Manson's "Disposable Teens," w00t.

XD

I started this year really listening to Isis and just got into OMG in the past couple weeks. I gave the Sumac album a couple listens but didn't like it much, but then picked up No and the Ape of God discs and am digging the shit out of it thus far. Literally sounds to me like the best elements out of the members' main bands thrown into one juicy stew. I'm kinda surprised that I didn't hear OMG earlier on. I always have really loved Cave In, but just a casual Converge fan.

I was just wondering today if the book your link goes to was a main influence behind the ape of god album's theme, (like a satire of modern music industry culture with the fake albums released to the press), or if it just was simple "ape of god" = devil = metal music = rarrrghhh!! type of thing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Ooh, I was hoping a new press of Zozobra would happen. Gonna investigate that puppy right myow. (Easily one of my favourite things related to Aaron Turner, and, I think, a prime summary of OMG.)
    it's not a new repress, it's from the original run. no idea if there are any plans to reissue it but i would think that since they recently remastered Meditations in B they're gonna work their way through the catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post

I AM DOWN.

i would start with Christmas. it's a pretty good intro to OMG and is relatively balanced between heavy / ambient. Ape Of God is definitely my favorite but now that i own all of the albums, i love every single one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    I started this year really listening to Isis and just got into OMG in the past couple weeks. I gave the Sumac album a couple listens but didn't like it much, but then picked up No and the Ape of God discs and am digging the shit out of it thus far. Literally sounds to me like the best elements out of the members' main bands thrown into one juicy stew. I'm kinda surprised that I didn't hear OMG earlier on. I always have really loved Cave In, but just a casual Converge fan.

I was just wondering today if the book your link goes to was a main influence behind the ape of god album's theme, (like a satire of modern music industry culture with the fake albums released to the press), or if it just was simple "ape of god" = devil = metal music = rarrrghhh!! type of thing.
    according to what i read (don't remember where), it's definitely "ape of god" = the devil, and the record is about the end of the world. i mean, just listen to "a hideous nightmare lies upon the world". that song is absolutely terrifying but so amazing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Fuck. Caleb died in a car crash yesterday.

https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...478261223.html

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post

What a way to bump a thread. Damn.

Never was into Old Man Gloom as much as other Turner works but that sucks.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    What a way to bump a thread. Damn.

Never was into Old Man Gloom as much as other Turner works but that sucks.
    Caleb's other bands, Zozobra and Cave In were also great. Highly recommend checking their libraries out if you never have.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i found out because of your post on instagram. i was already having a rough/sad day and it was the key to the floodgates. definitely going to blast Ape Of God in my car today.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i found out because of your post on instagram. i was already having a rough/sad day and it was the key to the floodgates. definitely going to blast Ape Of God in my car today.
    Yeah, I was pretty sad the rest of the day yesterday. Stayed up way too late listening to his music. Still really bummed today. So unexpected. Glad to see so many people are donating to his family. The fundraiser is over $50k already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This fucking sucks so hard. Caleb had one of the most powerful vocal deliveries in the genre, dude killed it on bass, Zozobra, OMG, Cave In, some amazing groups and he had two young kids. I mean fuck. Ya it’s disappointing that Cave In teased jamming in December, that Zozobra is effectively over and OMG might be too, but he had such young kids waiting for him to get home and he never will. I have loved his vocals and his musical projects for many years but right now I just feel for those kids. Life is fragile, we take it for granted, dying cause you wanted to slip over to a faster toll booth lane just fucking sucks.
    Last edited by 50 Volt Phantom; 03-31-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Yeah, I was pretty sad the rest of the day yesterday. Stayed up way too late listening to his music. Still really bummed today. So unexpected. Glad to see so many people are donating to his family. The fundraiser is over $50k already.
    i spent most of the day listening to old man gloom and cave in. my wife really enjoyed cave in, which was great. what a fucking bummer this is. his poor family

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Caleb's first two Zozobra albums are finally being repressed on vinyl along with an OMG tribute shirt. All profits are going to his family.

http://scofieldbenefit.merchtable.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got me a shirt and limited cassette, very cool of Hydra Head to do this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got the vinyl! kind of glad the test press was sold out or i might have dropped the money on it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Old Man Gloom, Cave In, Converge, Young Widows, and The Cancer Conspiracy are playing together June 13 in Boston to benefit Caleb's family. Can't wait for this.

https://www.facebook.com/events/228175214600476/

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Am I crazy for buying a copy of the Ape of God cassette box set on ebay for $59? I have no interest in collecting or listening to cassettes, and frankly I think it's silly that they've made a comeback. I bought it specifically because it comes with a DVD version of the Here Is A Gift For You documentary. They were limited to 50, and rarely come up for sale.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Am I crazy for buying a copy of the Ape of God cassette box set on ebay for $59? I have no interest in collecting or listening to cassettes, and frankly I think it's silly that they've made a comeback. I bought it specifically because it comes with a DVD version of the Here Is A Gift For You documentary. They were limited to 50, and rarely come up for sale.
    Ask Santos! He's very active on their Social Media pages.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Ask Santos! He's very active on their Social Media pages.
    As am I. I’m a “top fan” and a “valued commenter” on their Facebook page. Ha.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Y'all know I'm gonna be at the opening night of the tour. That's a fact.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Y'all know I'm gonna be at the opening night of the tour. That's a fact.
    Jealous. I hope they announce some east coast dates soon, and that the Boston date aligns well with my work schedule.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i missed out on seeing them in chicago in 2015 because the stupid band i was trying to leave got a show in ohio that i didn't want to play but i felt bad leaving them in the lurch. it was a miserable time so it was even more frustrating that i didn't say fuck it and let them deal with it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    i missed out on seeing them in chicago in 2015 because the stupid band i was trying to leave got a show in ohio that i didn't want to play but i felt bad leaving them in the lurch. it was a miserable time so it was even more frustrating that i didn't say fuck it and let them deal with it.
    I had a ticket for the Boston show of that tour, but skipped it because I was just starting a new job and didn't feel right asking for time off in the first week or two of work. Glad I saw them twice in 2012 and then at the two Caleb benefits. Still wish I'd gone to that show in 2015 though.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I don't want to flood the listening thread so I am going to answer here.

i've been checking the profound lore merchtable store five times a day (i have the tab open on my phone browser so when i open the browser it automatically refreshes) since they made the official announcement. i am NOT missing the preorder for any kind of special edition.
    LOL, you're crazy. I probably won't buy anything until I see them in May.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    I don't want to flood the listening thread so I am going to answer here.

LOL, you're crazy. I probably won't buy anything until I see them in May.
    i'm making about 1/3 of the money i used to make (and i was unemployed for 5 months until the second week in january) so i'm a lot less likely to just buy up records like i was doing for a few years. but if there's something really special and exciting coming out, you bet your buns i'm not gonna miss out on it!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Preorders for the new album are up on the Profound Lore merchtable store! And new song!

https://profoundlorerecords.merchtable.com/
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 03-19-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Old Man Gloom just can't resist playing pranks. Once again, they secretly made two albums. Seminar VIII: Light of Meaning, which we knew about a few days ago, and Seminar IX: Darkness of Being, which they announced just now.

Swipe through this instagram post to read all about it:

A post shared by on

And you can listen to Seminar IX in its entirety here!:
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 03-23-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm just glad they put out the same color variants for both albums so i could get the black orb one for both.

i was originally so bummed they were only putting out a single LP worth of material...guess i just needed to wait a couple days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ hahaha

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    currently listening to the ape of god (I) on vinyl and will listen to its twin when i'm done. this album (these albums?) is (are?) so fucking good. really looking forward to what the new ones are going to bring.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Just listened to a podcast that Santos was on. One of the things he talked about was the story of the original plan for the new albums. He's told part of this before, but not the last part. Before Caleb died, the original plan was to record an album with all four band members. But then Santos and Aaron were going to record an album on their own, and on the release date they'd put that album out, surprising Nate and Caleb. But what Santos didn't originally know was that Kurt Ballou, who was recording the albums, was going to secretly tell Nate and Caleb, and have them record their own album, which would have been the one to come out on the release date, pranking Santos and Aaron. Eventually all three albums would have been released.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just listened to a podcast that Santos was on. One of the things he talked about was the story of the original plan for the new albums. He's told part of this before, but not the last part. Before Caleb died, the original plan was to record an album with all four band members. But then Santos and Aaron were going to record an album on their own, and on the release date they'd put that album out, surprising Nate and Caleb. But what Santos didn't originally know was that Kurt Ballou, who was recording the albums, was going to secretly tell Nate and Caleb, and have them record their own album, which would have been the one to come out on the release date, pranking Santos and Aaron. Eventually all three albums would have been released.
    I do enjoy OMG records but all this "pranking" is pretty tiresome and seems entirely for their own amusement.