Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: NetHack

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

NetHack

Nethack is the best game ever. Has anyone actually sat down and invested time in the Dungeon of Doom? It's immense. Everything that could ever happen to you in a game actually will happen in Nethack. Forget Skyrim, Dark Souls, et al- Nethack is a proper hardcore RPG.

Everybody has stories- I entered the Gnomish mines, and fought off some wee wizard things, before being bitten by a wererat. 5 moves later I transformed into a wererat myself, and had to drop all my items. I was near death when it occured to me to pray- my god then healed me of my Lycanthropy. Then I drank water from a nearby fountain, which killed me instantly. Because that's what happens in Nethack.

30 years development time, and no second chances. I play it on the iPhone and it looks like this:

However, I'm reliably informed that old school is the place to be:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Nobody huh?

Some more screenshots then!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    NetHack is perfect, definitely my favourite roguelike and probably in my top 3 best games ever (Dwarf Fortress for me).

I'm utterly hopeless at it, of course. I've not even come close to beating it, probably not even 1% of the way. I love the humour in it, though, and this is another fantastic example of emergent storytelling which, with a little bit of imagination, completely shits over all the other modern story-based RPGs. It's baffling to me to think just how shallow games like Skyrim are in comparison to this.

I'll be playing NetHack, occasionally, for the rest of my life. And I'm nearly certain that I will never finish it.