Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Hop

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Trip Hop

Figured it'd be worth starting a thread on all things trip hop, downtempo, etc. etc.

I'm a massive fan of this type of music. Anything from Tricky to Massive Attack to Lamb to Halou, to even ambient stuff, doesn't have to be the dark stuff (though I tend to dig that a bit more)....but I love it all.

Feel free to link to vids, info, or news about any artists you dig, or to list off recommendations.

I'll kick it off with some amazing news. The Sundance Festival is moving this year to London, and one of the announcements is Tricky performing 'Maxinquaye' in its entirety with Martina Topley-Bird for the first time together in 15 years. I'd kill a man to see that.

Also, if anyone wants to recommend anything...I'm on a big kick of ambient, trip hop kinda stuff with female vocals if anyone wants to shoot me some artists to look in to. Other than the well known stuff, that is. Anyone hear of Blu Mar Ten? Great stuff.

Oh, also my friend Jeremy's band CircleSquare (originally from Vancouver, now in Berlin...though sadly mostly defunct now as he's moved on to art and video installations)...this shit is fantastic in your car at night, loud as fuck.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Have to obviously throw both of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works in here.

Plus, iTunes' ambient stations have some great stuff on them. I usually throw those on as great background music. Drone Zone on there is one of my favorites, as is the "Doomed" station.

Mortiis' Crypt of the Wizard and the Stargate are also great if you are into dark ambient. I could even throw in Enigma's MCMXC a.D. as well, but that is more new age, even though there are ambient elements.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Maxinquaye show sounds amazing. That album still sounds as fresh as ever. Also love Massive Attack - Blue Lines, Mezzanine, 100th Window... Essential stuff.

Above all, though, I want a new Portishead album. Third was career-defining IMHO and the "Chase the Tear" single they did for Amnesty was tops.

-----

Hope this is within the scope of the thread. Awesome track from my favourite album of last year. Tons and tons of good stuff on her Bandcamp: http://motionsicknessoftimetravel.bandcamp.com/

Another artist I got big into last year. Really hard to track down much info on her.

Heading even further into darker, dronier territory I'd recommend Tim Hecker, Stars of the Lid, Aidan Baker and Thomas Koner.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Lamb

One of the most underated Trip Hop bands ever, i was fortunate enough to see them live at Glastonbury, awesome experience...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    do you mean the thread to be about two completely separate genres? looks like we're talking more about trip hop here- i would recommend a separate thread for ambient music.

used to listen to a LOT of trip-hop back in the day. a few catchy favorites not previously mentioned:

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 04-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    if you are looking for some dark ambient though, here's some names to check out:

les joyaux de la princesse
    deca (cassettes)
    blood axis
    remote viewing vol. II
    lustmord
    :zoviet*france: (especially loh land)
    the caretaker
    william basinski's disintegration loops
    david sylvian- plight & premonition
    harold budd & brian eno- the pearl
    zero kama- the secret eye of l.a.y.l.a.h.
    coil- unreleased hellraiser themes
    tuxedomoon- the ghost sonata (lots of organic pianos, but dark and meditative)
    black tape for a blue girl- the rope/a chaos of desire (vocals, but they were once great)
    grouper- dragging a dead deer up a hill (also vox, but one of my most favorite modern musicians)

& this may not qualify, but maybe some darkwave/neoclassical bands might walk a fine line between both genres. try some in the nursery/collection d'arnell~andrea/trance to the sun/camerata mediolanense.

&& trust me on this: slowdive- pygmallion. kind of neither/nor, but at the same time, totally qualifies for both.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 04-27-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: digging through the library.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I've recently been listening to Morcheeba's 'Dive Deep'. Does that count? Also if anyone has any recommendations for other albums similar to this, I'd be happy to hear them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fucking LOVE deep dive. Went on a serious Morcheeba kick a few months back and listened to that album on repeat at work for days and days and days. Also props to frankie for all the recommendations. I of course have listened to tons of Lamb, Black Tape, Slowdive (of course) but there are tons of bands in there I really haven't heard much of. First thing tomorrow I'm gonna be parked here crankin' it out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    && trust me on this: slowdive- pygmallion. kind of neither/nor, but at the same time, totally qualifies for both.
    If there is one album that sums up the entirety of my musical taste... Well, nothing definitively does. But Pygmalion comes mighty close.

I can really see it fitting in a Portishead/Massive Attack/Lamb etc playlist, actually. Can't believe I've never though of it before!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Morcheeba's Big Calm and Who Can You Trust? are favorites of mine.
    Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain is pretty good.

Saltillo

Last edited by Findus; 02-27-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Videos had been deleted from YouTube

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here's my Spotify Trip Hop playlist

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to checking this thread out as it grows. Triphop is one of those genres that, for me, held more promise than it delivered. I like some of the early Tricky stuff, Massive Attack, and Portishead, but anything else I've stumbled upon hasn't quite passed muster.

I realize that's like saying "I like Autechre, Aphex Twin and Squarepusher, but I'm not sure about this whole IDM genre" - but that's illustrative of why I'm glad this thread is happening.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nurse with wound! Surely the kings of DA

Also im sure it belongs to some other apocryphal sub genre, but the contino sessions by death in vegas is like "mezzanine"'s scruffy indie cousin and feels more akin than the other MA albums

genres never deliver though, do they? I always like a few bands but very hesitant to describe myself as a _____ fan

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There's a blog I follow here: http://xtriphopx.blogspot.ca/ that, even though some times what they post isn't EXACTLY trip hop, always delivers. As an example, two days ago they posted about Elsiane - Mechanics of Emotion. 'Hmm, never heard of them ever.' Went to YouTube. 'Holy shit.'

Pretty good for links to download stuff, and usually lesser known stuff or stuff that's well known, but I just never heard about (including an alphabetical list of trip hop artists on the right side which is nuts).

Also, another shout out to frankieteardrop, everything you've PM'ed me about so far is beyond sick.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    what a nice topic!

trip hop is one of those genres I always enjoyed (I love me some MA, Lamb and Portishead), but other than that I've never dug deeper... don't know why.
    Goldfrapp is really nice! I own all of their stuff up until 2005's supernature. After that they got a bit too dancy/poppy for my taste, but they're still worth checking out!

@chris: thanks for your playlist. I'll give it a proper listen!

This should be a good weekend while I dig around this thread!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Cheers for bringing Hooverphonic into the topic too!, have you guys heard the "With orchestra" album? is it any good?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    do you mean the thread to be about two completely separate genres? looks like we're talking more about trip hop here- i would recommend a separate thread for ambient music.
    Seconded.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quite weird. Listening to Antichrist Superstar for the first time while reading a thread about trip hop/ambient. Big fan of Portishead, but haven't really explored the genre too far beyond that. Amazed to find David Sylvian mentioned in the thread....ambient yes, but trip hop? Don't know much of his solo stuff, and to be honest prefer Japan to anything released by any of the band members after they split (including Porcupine Tree). But feel free to recommend 'trippier' stuff by him....

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I need to get my hands on some Alpha. I first heard this song waaaaay back in the day when Limewire was still the place to be, and I was downloading Portishead. It was erroneously attributed to Portishead and the song was called "Music To Fuck To", which was probably someone's playlist...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Anyone like Scorn? Amazing stuff... Greetings from birmingham is awesome. Hes the original drummer of napalm death and weirdly, the vae solis album has the same lineup as side a of SCUM by napalm death (that includes justin broadrick, if any godflesh/jesu fans are reading)

but yeah if you fancy some illbient proto dubstep from the 90s, greetings from birmingham is tip top... If not trip hop (sorry)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Soap Kills
    Tango

Kazdoura

Smoke City - Underwater Love

Waldeck - Waiting

Slowly

Midsummer Night Blues

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New Tricky album 'False Idols' drops May 28th.

First single "Nothing's Changed".

Official site www.trickysite.com now updated for the first time in years as well, with a free download of the track.

"To be honest with you, I’ve been floating around since Chris Blackwell and Island. My last two albums, I thought they were good, but I realize now they weren’t. This album is about me finding myself again."
    Last edited by october_midnight; 02-27-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Thank you for bumping this thread. Just discovered some pretty good stuff.

I will contribute with an awesome video from my two favorite DJs.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit I've never heard Krush and Shadow do anything together....is there more out there?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Duality is the only collaboration that I know of. It's taken from Krush's third album "Meiso".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    You need these:

Massive Attack BBC Essential Mix 1994 https://soundcloud.com/rightclicka/0...mix-1994-12-11
    DJ Shadow BBC Essential Mix https://soundcloud.com/thatericalper...sential-mix-dj
    UNKLE BBC Essential Mix https://soundcloud.com/dasboy/unkles...o-1-2002-01-05

I'm not sure that Shadow/Krush etal really belong in a thread about (so called) Trip Hop. Krush, Shadow etc are Hip Hop, not Trip Hop, or that is my belief anyway. Trip Hop being another lazy name invented by people who need everything put into a catagory so they can get their tiny minds around it. Still, I suppose they were releasing landmark material at the time and worked with people associated with the scene. Shadow of course working heavily on UNKLE's Psyence Fiction album for example.

Good news about the tricky album. Hope he is back on track. Blowback, Vulnerable, Knowle West and Mixed Race were a disappointment.
    Last edited by Camille; 02-27-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New Tricky song/video for 'Does It'.

Loving this.

And yes everyone knows that trip hop is a term that the artists themselves don't even like, and that has been the topic of debate for like 20 years, yada yada. It was used here for succinctness.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    does anyone really like the genre names that are assigned to them?