Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: John Lydon/Rotten/Sex Pistols/Public Image Ltd. and related projects

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

John Lydon/Rotten/Sex Pistols/Public Image Ltd. and related projects

I've always liked Public Image Ltd. more than The Sex Pistols. PiL have a new album out, End of World:

I also really liked Steve Jones projects, especially The Neurotic Outsiders. I think that their sole album is a real overlooked gem from the 90s.

ETA: I see that there is already a thread for PiL. I looked in the list of artists thread and didn't see it, but it came up under a search. My apologies.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-17-2023 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Never liked Sex Pistols, but the first three PiL records were pretty cool.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I love PIL, it's a much better and interesting band that the Sex Pistols.

Haven't heard the new one, but "This is PiL" and "What the world needs now" were excellent, so i'm sure it will be worth a listen.

Also, just because:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think if you were alive in 1977, the Sex Pistols might mean a whole lot more to you. It’s impossible to overstate the importance of the Sex Pistols.

There was nothing like it, the bomb that hit that was the Sex Pistols. To be a high school student listening to that album was akin to listening to “Smells Like Teen Spirit” for the first time after hearing nothing but shitty hair bands for a decade. It EXPLODED the punk era. It was so much fun, I can’t even begin to describe it.

The Sex Pistols were HIGHLY influential. Siouxsie Sioux hung out with them, later formed Siouxsie and the Banshees. The Clash, the Buzzcocks, the Damned all said they formed after seeing the Sex Pistols live (they were a great live band).

Malcolm McClaren renting a boat during the Queen’s Silver Jubilee, to be boarded by the Sex Pistols and friends, fans and press, so the band could blast (anti-monarchy) “God Save The Queen” whilst the boat passed the Houses of Parliament, which led to the arrest of pretty much all on board; it was pretty much the BEST THING EVER!!!

AND “God Save The Queen” was number two on the charts!! Lol

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/timelin...ilver-jubilee/

Here’s the infamous Grundy Show incident (includes Siouxie with bleached blonde hair):
    Last edited by allegro; 08-25-2023 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

My best friend shook John’s hand in like 1978 and she says he almost broke her hand lol ugh

We used to play this on the club jukebox repeatedly. It’s still my favorite, maybe due to nostalgia, dunno. I’ll check out the new album.

Last edited by allegro; 08-25-2023 at 05:02 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The miniseries “Pistol” - which was (allegedly) based on Steve Jones’ book, “Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol,” was on Hulu and was yanked. The little kid (Sam) from “Love Actually” grew up and played Malcolm McLaren, and that distracted me the entire time.

John Lydon had to go to court. This is a great interview.

Last edited by allegro; 08-25-2023 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I think if you were alive in 1977, the Sex Pistols might mean a whole lot more to you. It’s impossible to overstate the importance of the Sex Pistols.

There was nothing like it, the bomb that hit that was the Sex Pistols. To be a high school student listening to that album was akin to listening to “Smells Like Teen Spirit” for the first time after hearing nothing but shitty hair bands for a decade. It EXPLODED the punk era. It was so much fun, I can’t even begin to describe it.

The Sex Pistols were HIGHLY influential. Siouxsie Sioux hung out with them, later formed Siouxsie and the Banshees. The Clash, the Buzzcocks, the Damned all said they formed after seeing the Sex Pistols live (they were a great live band).

Malcolm McClaren renting a boat during the Queen’s Silver Jubilee, to be boarded by the Sex Pistols and friends, fans and press, so the band could blast (anti-monarchy) “God Save The Queen” whilst the boat passed the Houses of Parliament, which led to the arrest of pretty much all on board; it was pretty much the BEST THING EVER!!!

AND “God Save The Queen” was number two on the charts!! Lol

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/timelin...ilver-jubilee/
    I'm not downplaying the importance of the Pistols, as a band they are far more influential tan PiL and inspired lots of bands like Joy Division or Bad Brains, there's no doubt of their legacy and importance in rock history.

But to me, Lyndon's best work can be found in PiL, i find the proyect far more interesting than the Pistols (but also very different...), of course it's subjective, but i like both bands...

My best friend shook John’s hand in like 1978 and she says he almost broke her hand lol ugh
    I'm not surprised, i shared that video because it's odd to see Lyndon as a nice guy, but i'm pretty sure he's a douche, lol

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, with only one album released, it was kinda hard to be terribly “interesting” beyond that one genre that made its mark, especially culturally. Punk wasn’t just music, it was a whole entire attitude. But I appreciate what you’re saying.

Yes - douchy. A genius, too.

He says he wrote “Hawaii” for his wife, Nora, who died of Alzheimer’s this past April. They’d been married almost 50 years. Alzheimer’s sucks. This song is also especially sad after the Lahaina fire.

Last edited by allegro; 08-25-2023 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Yeah, with only one album released, it was kinda hard to be terribly “interesting” beyond that one genre that made its mark, especially culturally. Punk wasn’t just music, it was a whole entire attitude. But I appreciate what you’re saying.
    Sometimes i wonder, what if the Sex Pistols never broke up and released more albums?

It would have been very interesting to see any "evolution" on their music, but i'm also glad they broke up, the very nature of punk was ephemeral and even their break up was true to the movement!

He says he wrote “Hawaii” for his wife, Nora, who died of Alzheimer’s this past April. They’d been married almost 50 years. Alzheimer’s sucks. This song is also especially sad after the Lahaina
    I heard the song, i liked it, very different from most of his work, but showing that the man still has some tricks up his sleeve.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    It would have been very interesting to see any "evolution" on their music, but i'm also glad they broke up, the very nature of punk was ephemeral and even their break up was true to the movement!
    They broke up ON STAGE!!! John said, “Do you ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?” Boom, The End.

It all turned out the way it always would have, really, when we think about it.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-26-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The movie “Sid and Nancy” was fairly memorable, with Gary Oldman as Sid. Sid was only 21 when he died.

There’s one scene of the film that I like to recreate ha

Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The movie “Sid and Nancy” was fairly memorable
    I want a job, I want a job, I want a real job, I want a job, I want a job that pays...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    I want a job, I want a job, I want a real job, I want a job, I want a job that pays...
    Ha … a PUNKY sorta feel

Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Neurotic Outsiders--Steve Jones, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and John Taylor: