Thread: Trip Hop

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    looks like something just leaked...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    looks like something just leaked...
    1. If you mean the Adrian Thaws album....PM a link plz? Can't find it on any of my regular go-to sites.
    2. As some have mentioned, the title of the thread should probably just go to straight Trip Hop as ambient is too far off and there are other similar threads...so any mods wanna fix that? @orestes or @Leviathant perhaps? Or anyone else, no matter.
    3. For everyone else...how's everyone digging the sound so far? I'm liking this a lot, and it's a bit more of an earlier sound for Tricky. I love all his work, but have to admit that False Idols only gets a spin from me once in a blue moon...this new stuff is still not quite as brooding or dark, but it's got those elements for sure...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    From what I heard so far, this album is shaping up nicely. Will definitely get this one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    random, but tricky shot a video in brooklyn with norman reedus today.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I saw that on Twitter today! wtf?! Can't wait to see it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    CANNOT WAIT.

I know this ain't an ambient thread anymore, but thanks for this. Been listening to a couple songs from them on youtube. Lovely stuff.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i normally wouldn't invade a thread, but i think most people who like trip hop will probably like this one Marillion song:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I know this ain't an ambient thread anymore, but thanks for this. Been listening to a couple songs from them on youtube. Lovely stuff.
    Oh man, go back and listen to older Hammock...every album is unbelievable. Most of it isn't as mellow as this, but it's still amazing. Songs like Breathturn or The House Where We Grew Up...so good.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That's awesome that Norman Reedus will be in the next Tricky vid! I saw that fb post about them needing extras and I was very tempted to email them and subsequently drive to Brooklyn, but didn't have the energy.

Anyway, I'm really liking all the singles Tricky has released for Adrian Thaws ("Right Here" and "Sun Down" being the favorites) - I personally loved False Idols, so I'm hoping he maintains the momentum from that album

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I've been listening to the album all day. Why Don't You kinda has a NIN vibe to me. Love it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Finally!! After 11 years, DJ Krush returns with a new album called "The Butterfly Effect".
    Krush is an absolute favorite of mine. 2nd on my list of behind DJ Shadow.

You can preview all the tracks here:
    http://www.vinyl-digital.com/en/Beat...e-Edition.html

It sounds like it will be an amazing album! Can't wait to hear it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Next single from Tricky's new collaborative album 'Skilled Mechanics' (which drops January 22).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Skilled Mechanics is out today. I dig it, mostly. The two cover songs are pretty good. Got to write a review of it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    DJ Shadow has a new album coming out on June 24 called "The Mountain Will Fall".

Bunch of different bundles available for per-orders.
    http://djshadow.com/

Title track: https://soundcloud.com/massappealrec...tain-will-fall
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 04-08-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add link to song

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    DJ Shadow has a new album coming out on June 24 called "The Mountain Will Fall".

Bunch of different bundles available for per-orders.
    http://djshadow.com/

Title track: https://soundcloud.com/massappealrec...tain-will-fall
    Run of the fucking Jewels is on it!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Are there any DJ Shadow albums after The Private Press that are worth checking out? I felt like I gave a cursory listen to most and was very disappointed that none of them even came close to that initial magic.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Are there any DJ Shadow albums after The Private Press that are worth checking out? I felt like I gave a cursory listen to most and was very disappointed that none of them even came close to that initial magic.
    there a a good compilation of MPC tracks he put out a while back, and the last album wasn't too bad, just a bit forgettable.
    That new track is bloody lovely though.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Nothing come close to the vibe of Endtroducing and Preemptive Strike.
    Only a few good songs on The Outsider as well as a handful on The Less You Know, The Better but definitely nowhere near the masterpiece that is Endtroducing.
    Total Breakdown and Hidden Transmission is pretty good compilation.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I've refused to even bother checking out any of Shadow's albums post-Endtroducing. No way in hell he -- or anyone else for that matter -- could top it. Why bother wasting my time.
    Because you may be depriving yourself of (at the very least) a few tracks you actually dig?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    That's too bad. I used to do that too, and had to go back and catch up on all the good songs I'd basically forced myself to not listen to. It's not worth it...you'll hit that point eventually lol.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Okay midnight, at your behest and because I was willing to play ball, I checked out Private Press, The Outsider and The Less You Know this afternoon.

Private Press was alright, while the other two barely made an impression on me. Nothing horrible, but all it did was make me think of how much I'd rather be listening to Endtroducing.

Now I get to dick punch you for doubting me..
    Have you tried UNKLE's Psyence Fiction? It's practically a DJ Shadow album with singers.

Or don't listen to it at all. I would like my dick intact, please.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    New track with RtJ is fireeeeeeee

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Okay midnight, at your behest and because I was willing to play ball, I checked out Private Press, The Outsider and The Less You Know this afternoon.

Private Press was alright, while the other two barely made an impression on me. Nothing horrible, but all it did was make me think of how much I'd rather be listening to Endtroducing.

Now I get to dick punch you for doubting me..
    *grabs athletic cup* I love Private Press! Didn't care much for The Outsider or TLYK much at all...a few stand out moments but yeah, not too great. But you dug some of Private Press! This is progress haha...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the drop-off with DJ Shadow is really strange... I don't understand it, but ultimately I think he's just making what he wants to and doesn't give a fuck what people think. And that's cool. It's probably because of an attitude like that that he ended up making something revolutionary like Endtroducing. I don't really like listening to his post-Endtroducing music that I've heard, but I'll always give it a chance.

People frequently make it seem like listening to someone's album, or even skimming through it, is some huge arduous task... and fuck that. Musicians spend years working on an album, and then you have listeners acting like they should get a paycheck just to be bothered to listen to it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    DJ Shadow announces new tour dates and releases new track.

I'll be hitting the Montreal date for sure. I've seen him three times so far and I had a blast every single time.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    come oooooooooooonnnnnnn US Dates with Tricky!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    New DJ Shadow is quite good. Its a lot more consistent in tone than his last couple albums. Lots of machine gun-quick beats, but it still has moments that are oddly relaxing, and the few rap tracks are done well. I think its his best stuff in years. Dude should do a soundtrack; Dark Days can attest to that.