Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Kmfdm

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

That actually wasn't that bad. I take back what I said in my last post about this being pure garbage. Was probably just the snippets. The whole song was pretty good.
    This song anyway. We'll see how the rest plays out. With usual KMFDM releases, I expect there to be 3-4 really solid tracks and a whole bunch of filler.

Also, my issue with Lucia is she has slowly been given more and more of the spotlight over the years. 1-2 songs a record, sure. But it's more Lead Lucia tracks than Sascha tracks these days.
    She should stick to side and back up vocals for the majority. I just find her songs... not very good. There are a couple that are decent, but for every 1 good Lucia song, there are 10 stinkers.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I enjoyed her stuff MDFMK and Attak (even WWIII). Then she became more prominent in Hau Ruck. I like some of her songs. But a lot of them are just redundant. Last album I really got into was WTF?!, and that's probably because she's barely on it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Yeah, MDFMK was fantastic. That's some good stuff there.
    I wish they'd bring Skold back for a song or record. Everything skold touches is gold. The KMFDM VS Skold collab. back in... 2009 was really good. Damn, been 10 years since that came out already.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think Sascha is in dire need of someone to bounce ideas off of. That's where he truly thrives I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    THIS IS THE CRAZIEST THING I'VE HEARD ALL YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! Off the top of my head 'Pro Killer' and 'Looking For Strange' are GOLD.
    Also Take It Like a Man, Strut and Get the Tongue Wet. While I respect other people's opinions of Lucia, try as I might, I can't bring myself to dislike her.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujy View Post
    Also Take It Like a Man, Strut and Get the Tongue Wet. While I respect other people's opinions of Lucia, try as I might, I can't bring myself to dislike her.
    I could be wrong but I believe that the lead vocal on Strut was by Cheryl Wilson, not Lucia. Lucia tracks have been very hit or miss with me, and I agree that they were much better 10 years ago. New collaborations keep things fresh... they desperately need that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe that the lead vocal on Strut was by Cheryl Wilson, not Lucia. Lucia tracks have been very hit or miss with me, and I agree that they were much better 10 years ago. New collaborations keep things fresh... they desperately need that.
    Nope that's Lucia, I think Wilson appeared on a couple WTF?! tracks, don't think she's on Blitz at all.

They definitely need more collaborations, Sascha has been farting out albums and it's just not working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Checked discogs, both Wilson and Lucia are credited on the track for vocals. Touché!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Take It Like A Man isn't all Lucia either. Her and another girl as well (can't remember her name).

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Take It Like A Man isn't all Lucia either. Her and another girl as well (can't remember her name).
    IIRC, it's mostly Free Dominguez from Kidneythieves (although the song was written by Konietzko+Cifarelli). It's weird though, because she sounds almost exactly the same as Lucia in that song. It's like she's doing a Lucia impression rather than using her own voice.

I don't know, I don't think Lucia is the problem with KMFDM. I always liked her voice as a counterpoint to Sascha's. No, KMFDM doesn't suffer from Lucia-itis, KMFDM suffers from being shallow and formulaic. Listening to a new album now, you know pretty much exactly what you're going to get before you even press 'play'. It's stale, and the song-writing is lazy. The songs may sound cool the first couple of times, but they have zero staying power. I actually gave up after Our Time Will Come, where I liked less than half of the album. Didn't bother with Hell Yeah.
    Last edited by katara; 09-15-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    IIRC, it's mostly Free Dominguez from Kidneythieves (although the song was written by Konietzko+Cifarelli). It's weird though, because she sounds almost exactly the same as Lucia in that song. It's like she's doing a Lucia impression rather than using her own voice.

I don't know, I don't think Lucia is the problem with KMFDM. I always liked her voice as a counterpoint to Sascha's. No, KMFDM doesn't suffer from Lucia-itis, KMFDM suffers from being shallow and formulaic. Listening to a new album now, you know pretty much exactly what you're going to get before you even press 'play'. It's stale, and the song-writing is lazy. The songs may sound cool the first couple of times, but they have zero staying power. I actually gave up after Our Time Will Come, where I liked less than half of the album. Didn't bother with Hell Yeah.

That's really funny because Hell Yeah was actually a return to form after all the crap albums that followed up ATTAK (their last great album).

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    That's really funny because Hell Yeah was actually a return to form after all the crap albums that followed up ATTAK (their last great album).
    This is a true statement.
    Hell Yeah is a HUGE step up. I actually bought that record when I found it at a used CD store, and the last KMFDM release I bought before that was Hau Ruck, so that's saying something.

Give Hell Yeah a spin if you haven't yet. It's a pretty solid record.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Pretty damn good and it although it sounds like KMFDM, it doesn't "sound" like KMFDM if that makes any sense. If this is any indication of the rest of the album, i think we are in for a treat (for the freaks!)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    This is a true statement.
    Hell Yeah is a HUGE step up. I actually bought that record when I found it at a used CD store, and the last KMFDM release I bought before that was Hau Ruck, so that's saying something.

Give Hell Yeah a spin if you haven't yet. It's a pretty solid record.
    Well, crap. I write the band off as done and the very next album is a banger? Of course. Story of my life.

Thanks. I'll give it a listen.

Edit: First impressions: Hell Yeah is a good album. Fuck, now I feel stupid for giving up.
    Last edited by katara; 09-16-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    IMO the only one worth a damn after Hau Ruck was WTF. I dived into every one with the benefit of the doubt and just gave up after OTWC.

I..might give this one a chance for the Raymond guest spot. Will see.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    IMO the only one worth a damn after Hau Ruck was WTF. I dived into every one with the benefit of the doubt and just gave up after OTWC.

Yeah, WTF?! was the last KMFDM album I bought. Still holds up, mostly. I'll be going into Paradise sceptically; their track record in the 10 years has been quite spotty.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Yeah, WTF?! was the last KMFDM album I bought. Still holds up, mostly. I'll be going into Paradise sceptically; their track record in the 10 years has been quite spotty.
    WTF?! was the last one I bought too. So cohesive. Then we got Kunst... a huge step in reverse. I'll stream the album when it comes out. Hell Yeah is better than some. But most post-2002 KMFDM are letdowns.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

I fear that 1 track will not single-handedly save the whole record for you, lol.
    The "paradise" track above that I posted exceeded my expectations after listening to the clips. Everything else was very Meh. Especially the Raymond track.

Hau Ruck, WTF and Hell Yeah were all good, but everything else was very mediocre at best.

I feel like there are at least 2-3 really solid tracks per release post Hau Ruck, and you could compile one heck of a great "Unofficial" release with these tracks, haha.
    Let me give it a shot...

Best of KMFDM 2007-2017:

1. Looking for Strange (Tohuvabohu) - wow, what an awful record this was after looking at the tracklist
    2. Strut (Blitz) - This one isn't much better...
    3. Spectre (WTF!?)
    4. Rebels in Kontrol (WTF!?)
    5. Lynchmob (WTF!?)
    6. Ave Maria (Kunst)
    7. Quake (Kunst)
    8. Respekt (OTWC)
    9. Salvation (OTWC)
    10. Make your stand (OTWC)
    11. Total State Machine (Hell Yeah)
    12. Murder My Heart (Hell Yeah)
    13. Burning Brain (Hell Yeah)

Those are the best tracks I could compile from every release after Hau Ruck, obviously excluding Paradise because we haven't heard it yet. But if history tells us anything from this, there will only be about 3 worthwhile tracks on the new release again. There were some really awful and forgettable releases and songs I forgot about as I went back to look at some of those older releases. Damn.

Now for something different... I'm going to attempt to rank the KMFDM albums from best to worst. And holy smokes, there are a lot of them so brace yourself friends, lol.

Albums ranked: Best to Worst

1. NIHIL
    2. ANGST
    -----------NIHIL and ANGST to me are like perfection. These 2 releases I can listen to from front to back without skipping a single track.
    3. SYMBOLS
    4. ADIOS
    --------------These 2 are also very good records. Hard to pick between them. Both are a different vibe then NIHIL and ANGST, a more dancy/club type of KMFDM. Both are very solid.
    5. ATTAK
    6. XTORT
    7. WWIII
    8. HAU RUCK
    9. MONEY
    10. HELL YEAH
    11. WTF!?
    12. NAIVE
    13. Don't blow yout top
    14. What do you know, Deutschland?
    15. Our time will come
    16. KUNST
    17. UAIOE
    18. OPIUM
    19. BLITZ
    20. Tohuvabohu

The final 2 here are so bad, I had a hard time trying to decide which was worse.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    When I first got into KMFDM the most recent release was Hau Ruck. I actually mostly enjoy that album but man when Tohuvabohu dropped I was so disappointed. I’m in agreeance that that album sucks ass front to back. Hau Ruck is still mostly the last album post Attak that’s of any value. Tohuvabohu and Blitz are some of the most derivative and boring pieces of work on their catalog. I’d say Blitz is better as I actually like a song on it (Me & My Gun) and I cant say the same for the other.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just giving the new album a first pass. Spoiler: Seems like a bit of a mixed bag, to be honest. Opening track might grow on me. Has potential! No Regret is cool. Will need to replace the title track with the radio edit, as half of it is dub nonsense.

Oh My Goth is dubious, I'm not sure what the goal was here, its definitely not a 'goth rock' track. I dunno, maybe a grower. Piggy doesn't sound a bit like our NIN song and has an embarrassing vocal performance.

Disturb the Peace and Automaton seem like generic industrial dance tunes.

The Watts track is great, obviously! I like it.

Why did they remake Megalomaniac????? WHY??!?!? Not happy! haha And finally No God. Some more dub sounds. On the fence! ha

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    @Mutilated is it out already, or do you mean to say there's a leak floating around?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    @Mutilated is it out already, or do you mean to say there's a leak floating around?
    It doesn't come out until the 27th "officially", I checked and couldn't find a leak. But I'm curious to know the answer as well. Maybe he works in the industry and got access to an early review copy.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It doesn't come out until the 27th "officially", I checked and couldn't find a leak. But I'm curious to know the answer as well. Maybe he works in the industry and got access to an early review copy.
    Correct, I got a copy from Metropolis.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Gave the record a spin today. It's.... meh.
    Just I feared from the clips. There isn't anything here that really grabs a hold of you.
    As mentioned above by @Mutilated the radio edit of the title track was the most interesting thing here, and they ruined the record version with nearly 4 mins of... crap.
    The remake of Megalomaniac does nothing for me.

K-M-F is a fun/decent track for them. It's like rapping over industrial beats. This track kinda reminds me of the UAIOE days. Kinda cool. Could do without Sascha chanting "Kill mother fuckin" over and over and over again though, lol.

The only other song that really stood out was Disturb the Peace.
    The Watts track is OK. But I like what he's been doing with <PIG> more these days over this track.

Overall, Hell Yeah was better. There's nothing new here. It's not a terrible record, or would be considered their worst. But It's just kind of mediocre and forgettable. I've heard worse, way worse.
    Maybe a 5/10.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 09-26-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    With the new Opeth coming out at the same time, forgot this was even a thing.. Judging from what I'm seeing here, it's about what I was expecting... wasn't thrilled with what I heard so far.

not looking forward to the megalomaniac remake at all. Why do it? I'll check it out tomorrow though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Better than I was expecting it to be. The raymond track might be the weakest track... never thought I'd say that.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Better than I was expecting it to be. The raymond track might be the weakest track... never thought I'd say that.
    Yeah, the Raymond track really is kind of forgettable. The stuff he's being doing with <PIG> is way more interesting these days.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, the Raymond track really is kind of forgettable. The stuff he's being doing with <PIG> is way more interesting these days.
    Apart from the cover album, yeah.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Apart from the cover album, yeah.
    Oh God, I forgot that that existed. What rubbish... I totally erased that from the existence of my memory.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Oh God, I forgot that that existed. What rubbish... I totally erased that from the existence of my memory.
    I'm not there yet, unfortunately. By the time there's an actual new album, I'll finally be able to wash the taste out of my mouth. Such a joke. Might've been good if he had taken it seriously.