Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Kmfdm

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Once Upon a Time, during the Sehnsucht tour in 1997-98, KMFDM Opened up for Rammstein as well. What I would have done to see one of those shows!

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)

Kmfdm

Incessant name checking is a German thing, I think. Rammstein, KMFDM, Atari Teenage Riot/Alec Empire, and of course, seminal German electronic artists, the Wu-Tang clan.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Some of KFMDM repeated lyrics:
    http://www.samanthasuvak.com/KMFDM/Guide/theme.html
    Though I'm nor sure if this includes recent albums

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I guess they listened to all the fans that said they wanted KMFDM to sound like the old KMFDM... its kinda blatant mockery. hah and i THINK im okay with it...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    KMFDM sucks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I just found a copy of the original Naive CD at a used record store for 7 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good find.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Good find on that Naive disc, the title track is one of my faves. I also really like Light and Virus as well.

I never cared much for these guys when i was younger, I dint "get" how they could go from grinding industrial to almost a trashy, early 90s euro-pop sound in the same song. I understand it now, and cant get enough!

"KMFDM!! bla bla bla bla bla!" (my attempt at a kmfmd song)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I just found a copy of the original Naive CD at a used record store for 7 bucks.
    i got lucky and found a copy at Blockbuster Music back in the day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is the new album good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Is the new album good?
    Eh, hit and miss, as usual. Worth a listen though. Maybe it will grow on me.

Even though they're one of my favorite bands, the only album I think I really enjoy from start to finish is NAIVE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Eh, not as good as I was hoping for. I may warm up to it, but the last KMFDM album that I truly dug was Blitz. I think Blitz was the most solid KMFDM album in a long time. Strut and Take'm out really make the album work for me.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I agree, the album is nothing to get excited about. It has it's fair share of medicore tracks and it's usual KMFDM type tounge n cheque and politcal sounding songs, but all in all it's nothing to write home about.

Upon first listen I thought it wasn't as good as WTF!? But then I went back and looked at a tracklisting from WTF!? and found out I really only liked 5 songs on that album. At that point I counted the songs I liked off of KUNST, and I got a total of 5... so I decided if I took the 5 songs I enjoyed from WTF and the 5 I enjoyed from KUNST That would be a killer 10 track album. I shared my opinion in KMFDM facebook, and Sascha wrote back with "How many great tracks do you expect to detect after a first listen" So I thought, ya know... he's right... Enjoying 5/10 songs on first listen isn't that bad, maybe it'll grow on me...

However, since then I have probably listened to the album maybe 4-5 more times, and I can safely say it is not growing on me, in fact the songs I thought I liked are getting worse after each play...

I'm a tad disappointed. KMFDM have always put out a couple really solid tracks since they got back together on each album, but never a really amazing solid album like they used to make before they "broke up"

KMFDM Ultimate will always be ANGST / NIHIL / XTORT / SYMBOLS / ADIOS. Those 5 albums there were KMFDM in their hayday and nothing could stop them.
    Ever since Lucia joined the band as a vocalist I think that's when I started to have a problem with the albums, I could never get into her vocals and singing style, and half the albums songs are always sung by her with the other half being sung by Sascha. I beleive that's where my preference lies in new KMFDM.

Anyway, that's my quick 2 cent review about the album, if that was even a review about the album...
    The stand out track was the free one he released 2 mths ago, the title track, KUNST, where he basically makes fun of the band in it's classic tounge n cheek kind of way repeating song titles as lyrics and saying "kill mother fucking depeche mode" it's total KMFDM classic, and brings a nostalgic feeling that you are back in the 90s, which is awesome. But then it's all downhill from there. The next song, Ave Maria is actually really good as well, considering it is a Lucia song. Quake and Pussy Riot are decent as well, with the latter having repeat lryics from NIHIL's "Terror" - "I try to keep my faith alive, I cannot keep my hate inside"

The last track is basically a remix/reworked track of a B-side that was released on last year's AMNESIA single I (heart) you, now called I (heart) not.
    I liked the original better, in fact I thought the original was a masterpiece, something new and exciting I had never heard from the band, it was fresh and exciting and I really enjoyed it, to this day I think it holds up in a top 10 top 15 KMFDM song list of all time. it's that good. I wouldn't have minded if they just reused the same version on this album.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-21-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    @ManBurning , that's a great review and opinion on KMFDM. I listened to it once and my first reaction to the album was "meh". Usually, i can pinpoint some of the outstanding tracks on the album but KUNST really doesn't have anything that says WOW!

That being said, Lucia has improved leaps and bounds since her first KMFDM album. Her vocal style and delivery is pretty solid now but it comes nowhere close to the hay day of Sascha, En Esch, Gunter and Watts with the various guest musicians/vocalists a la XTORT album.

NIHIL still is and will always be my favorite KMFDM album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have never had that much of a problem with Lucia. Lyrically she is kind of hit or miss, but I can deal with that on a KMFDM album because so are... well, every other vocalist KMFDM has had, haha. My biggest problem with the way a lot of the albums have sounded lately is almost entirely the guitar. Blitz reminded me of Gunter a lot, and I loved it, but WWIII, Kunst, WTF!?, that other one after Attak and before Blitz... they all had a guitar sound that reminded way too much of a try-hard late 90s metal sound. I guess at the end of the day I feel like writing stuff that may easier suit that live line up is a really bad idea, because KMFDM VS SKOLD was fucking great and Blitz was mostly just Kaptain K if I recall correctly.

edit: I just want to say I always enjoy reading the KMFDM thread on ETS. It's like there is magic here every 1.5 years. haha

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiovoyr View Post
    Eh, not as good as I was hoping for. I may warm up to it, but the last KMFDM album that I truly dug was Blitz. I think Blitz was the most solid KMFDM album in a long time. Strut and Take'm out really make the album work for me.
    That's interesting because I thought Blitz was their worst album with Tohovabahu right behind it. I thought WTF was actually pretty good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiovoyr View Post
    because KMFDM VS SKOLD was fucking great and Blitz was mostly just Kaptain K if I recall correctly
    According the liner notes, the Blitz lineup is the usual band PLUS Skold contributing tons of stuff, so it seems like his influence on the record is significant

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    That's interesting because I thought Blitz was their worst album with Tohovabahu right behind it. I thought WTF was actually pretty good.
    Totally agree. Blitz was downright terrible.

WTF?! has been one of the best albums the band has done since it reformed, with HAU RUCK close to follow. ATTAK wasn't half bad either. Actually, I really enjoyed ATTAK alot come to think of it

If I had to order the "reformed KMFDM albums" from best to worst, it would look a little something like this.

ATTAK
    WTF?!
    Hau Ruck
    WWIII
    KUNST
    Tohovabahu
    BLITZ

The only thing worse than BLITZ in the KMFDM Discography is UAIOE, in my opinion.

Strangely enough, the only 2 songs on BLITZ I actually enjoy are the Lucia songs "Never Say Never" and "Strut".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    According the liner notes, the Blitz lineup is the usual band PLUS Skold contributing tons of stuff, so it seems like his influence on the record is significant
    huh, I guess I never really paid any attention to the liner notes and was just going from what I read in interviews.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

WTF?! has been one of the best albums the band has done since it reformed, with HAU RUCK close to follow. ATTAK wasn't half bad either. Actually, I really enjoyed ATTAK alot come to think of it

If I had to order the "reformed KMFDM albums" from best to worst, it would look a little something like this.

ATTAK
    WTF?!
    Hau Ruck
    WWIII
    KUNST
    Tohovabahu
    BLITZ

The only thing worse than BLITZ in the KMFDM Discography is UAIOE, in my opinion.

Strangely enough, the only 2 songs on BLITZ I actually enjoy are the Lucia songs "Never Say Never" and "Strut".
    Dude, UAIOE is awesome! Hau Ruck is easily my least favorite. Absolute bore of an album. One thing I find very repetitive and tired are the guitars. Very talented guitarists who lack imagination and originality. Every riff is usually recycled over and over again. Was glad when guitars became less and less more prominent in the albums to come (Kunst included).

I liked Blitz. Not a great album, but it had some good songs there. A few bad ones though. Thing about the post-reformation albums. The bad songs probably really suck. But the good songs are probably really awesome. That's how I felt about the last few albums, and the new one. There's songs I feel like i've heard a million times before and i'm absolutely sick to death of. But there's always a few songs that are a complete breath of fresh air. Completely obsessed with Ave Maria right now. Loving that one.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: Kmfdm

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

ATTAK
    WTF?!
    Hau Ruck
    WWIII
    KUNST
    Tohovabahu
    BLITZ

I was you till the part about UAIOE. I love that album. Murder, loving can be an art, more and faster. Great shit!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I quite loved Hau Ruck and WWIII. I love the latter's title track.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    the last KMFDM album I liked was Symbols, and actually in hindsight it might be my favorite

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Symbols was originally my favorite. That's the album that got me into them in the first place. Then I stumbled across Naive. The rest is history.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Dude, UAIOE is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I was (with) you till the part about UAIOE.
    Haha, well to each their own guys! I could just never connect to that album growing up. I first got into KMFDM in 1997, after I heard Megalomaniac on the Mortal Kombat Annihilation soundtrack. I owe that soundtrack for introducing me to 2 of my favourite bands of all time, them and Rammstein.

So after that I went on a KMFDM binge, searching out their old stuff. Me and a friend used to go used KMFDM CD hunting all the time to try and collect the whole discography, haha fun times! But I remember that neither of us liked UAIOE, we just thought it was just the odd album out. It was always the butt end of alot of jokes. I think I even went as far as selling that album after I picked it up... Let me check my collection... Yep, I no longer own that album. I have almost everything else, but I knew there was a reason I didn't hold onto UAIOE. Maybe I should give it another spin now, i'm no longer 16 so maybe I would appreciate it more.

@Piko I knew you said that HAU RUCK was your least favourite album of then all, but what would you guys consider to be the WORST KMFDM album between the ones BEFORE the break up?

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Completely obsessed with Ave Maria right now. Loving that one.
    I agree with this though! It's the song I keep going back to, maybe 3-4 times a day. Come to think of it, it's the only track from the new album I am listening to at all!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    man... what the fuck is wrong with me. I've been listening to KMFDM all day (not sure why), and the song "Craze" is actually awesome. At the point of release I hated every moment of XTORT.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I've been going on a KMFDM binge all day as well. Put on NIHIL and SYMBOLS. Seems like the new album made me yearn for old KMFDM. I agree about XTORT, the first few times I heard it I absolutly hated it. It's definatly a grower. Inane is probably my favourite track on that album. Rules is awesome as well.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I didn't care for Xtort much either when I first heard it. Absolutely love it now. And if I had to pick a least favorite album, pre breakup, I'd have to go with either Money or Adios. I like those albums, don't get me wrong, and there was some definite dysfunction behind the production of them. Which is painfully obvious.

Money has amazing songs, but is really, more or less, an EP. The second half of remixes is what really brings it down. The original songs are top notch though.

And Adios. That album just felt rushed. It's not a bad album. But it could've been more. Listening to it, I can't help but think Sascha just wanted to hurry up and finish it and be done with it all (esch, Schulz, the label). It has its very good moments, but the bad ones just scream "contractual obligation".

It's hard to pick one of the two. Because both are literally breakup albums that were thrown together because they had to, and they didn't want to work with each other. Wish Money was a more fleshed out album, and Sascha (and possibly Esch) would have put aside their differences and finish the second half, but they didn't. Instead we got some mediocre remixes.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Not that anyone cares but my favorite albums pre-breakup are definitely Nihil (Raymond Watts, need I say more?), Symbols and Adios. Funny how @Piko above me just stated dislike for that one above me. Sycophant, D.I.Y. and Full Worm Garden are some of my all time favorite tracks.