Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: David Lynch

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Lost Highway is surely a cursed movie.

It's so elusive for blu-ray. It makes me so annoyed. Hopefully it gets a proper widespread release it deserves. I refuse to buy the DVD.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Well shit. I was trying to debate still getting this. I just feel like I need to have the best possible version UNTIL it is correctly remastered. As stated above, I currently have the standard DVD which you would assume is meh, as well as a german blu ray. I am wondering if this new blu ray will be better than those two, and if so, I still might pick it up. I just want a decent version of the darned thing to hold me over until Lynch remasters it for Criterion.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I torrented a 1080p version, ripped from the European Blu-ray I think, which looked fine and included bonus features as well as the original surround mix. Just get that.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    The color grading looks much better (and more accurate) than previous Blu-ray (European) releases. Fine detail resolution has also been bumped up overall... there's texture and grain!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The color grading looks much better (and more accurate) than previous Blu-ray (European) releases. Fine detail resolution has also been bumped up overall... there's texture and grain!

I ended up purchasing it largely due to the review on bluray.com. The standard DVD edition I have is very fuzzy and the German Blu Ray I have has a lot of the color washed out compared to other releases.

I havent watched this release yet even though I purchased it yesterday but I am hoping to take the time to give it a watch this weekend and hopefully will be able to note the differences.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Okay: just finished watching it. Can confirm that the picture looks very good. Much less grainy than my German blu ray, which has grain present even in the black.

This version has good coloring and deep blacks. Hardly any grain in the black and in most of the movie, save for one aerial shot.

Sound is good! Music is good but the dialogue has always been SO low at some points although I’m sure Lynch wanted it this way.

All in all I’d say this is the best version out there until we have a proper criterion. I’m not upset I bought this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was lucky enough to see Twin Peaks 3 - Ep 8 on the big screen yesterday, as part of the David Lynch 'My Head Is Disconnected' exhibition. I expected it to be amazing, and I was more than right. Proper goosebumps seeing it on such a massive screen with stupendously loud sound. Fantastic exhibition of artworks too.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I finally watched the first half of Inland Empire. Even kinda followed it along, mostly, without losing the plot too many times! My brain needed a rest after the dance sequence though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I finally watched the first half of Inland Empire. Even kinda followed it along, mostly, without losing the plot too many times! My brain needed a rest after the dance sequence though.
    somehow i've still never seen it

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ok but all these years over the release of his movie in a way he doesn't like but like... Then fucking release it, Blu Ray is at the end of its life span, so at this point you gotta take what you can get. We can't all have movie theater projectors in our house

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Ok but all these years over the release of his movie in a way he doesn't like but like... Then fucking release it, Blu Ray is at the end of its life span, so at this point you gotta take what you can get. We can't all have movie theater projectors in our house
    I beg your pardon, but... huh? What?

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    somehow i've still never seen it
    It's an intense watch (in a dark room with the sound up, particularly). I recommend breaking Inland Empire up into shorter viewings, though, there's too much information to process for a single sitting. Stretching it out over two or three very late nights, maybe with some chemical assistance: perfect. Truly, it's the most extreme example ever of his dream-logic storytelling. I couldn't stomach it all in one go, but there are bravura moments throughout, so very much worth watching all of it to enjoy. Even the washed-out, primitive-looking digital video cinematography adds to the uneasiness.

If you do watch it, pay special attention to sources of light. David Lynch himself even has a voice-only cameo as the Bucky J, the hapless lighting technician on the film soundstage.
    Last edited by botley; 08-17-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I beg your pardon, but... huh? What?
    He's probably replying to Lost Highway Bluray discussion

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm just suggesting that it's easy for David Lynch to pick a bone with the quality of the Lost Highway Blu Ray... He's got probably a decent film reel of the movie. In making this comment, I also had in mind Tarantino's ire towards digital. In the mean time as technology is moving forward, a DVD is going to look worse and worse. We have to take what we can can get as far as a Blu Ray is concerned. I think there was a typo in my post that made it seem confusing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm sure there are legal reasons why he can't just release it his way. Also, Peter Deming, the cinematographer, reached out to Kino through email to offer his assistance. They ignored him. Fuck Kino.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide welp, thanks for adding that to my brain's "nightmare subject" list

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wish I had Netflix just for this.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Im so watching this!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The daily weather reports are back!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDL...yh1IMasq9nbjrA

Proof that we'll watch anything by David Lynch. I just love this.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I hope Lynch invites Trent and Atticus to score his rumored upcoming film.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    *blinking uncomfortably*

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Elephant Man hits Criterion Collection blu-ray and DVD in September.

Finally.

I do believe after I buy this the only David Lynch films I need to buy are Inland Empire (eh) and Dune.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In case you weren't aware, David Lynch has a radio.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

This is okay, but just wait until you see Ball of Bees #14 through 27!
    Last edited by botley; 07-22-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Peacock has Lost Highway streaming!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Just bought some David Lynch signature blend coffee at Whole Foods. Why do I suddenly have a craving for cherry pie?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Elephant Man is out Tuesday but I don't feel like I'm gonna bother with it. I'll just wait till November for Barnes & Noble's second sale of the year.